Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I went 100% non-lethal in my first and only playthrough, since I prefer a slow and steady type stealth game, but for all the illusion of choice, it did feel like the game was telling me I was playing it wrong. There aren't a lot of non-lethal options with powers or take downs, so it became really stagnant. By the time I realized that wasn't going to change, I was far enough that I didn't want to give up on my pacifist run. Also the fact that you could get a kill because you knocked someone out and their body slipped face down into a puddle while you were half the map away always felt a little cheap, since I'd spend a lot of time making sure dudes were propped up in comfortable positions so they didn't accidentally die after I left them.

The ending itself wasn't too disappointing story wise, but from a gameplay perspective I almost didn't even realize I was at the end since I just had to sneak around like the rest of the game and welp, that's the end of the game.

I still really look forward to this one since despite these design choices I liked the setting and the mechanics, I just hope that if they really are going to let players decide how they want to play, don't secretly punish them for playing in a way that they didn't intend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Lunethex posted:

You can also tell the outsider NO and have no powers.

Congrats, you just sold the game to me. I played the first game with no powers (using blink just made me feel like a superhero instead of feeling like Garrett) and I was worried they were going to make the powers necessary in the sequel. That's awesome.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

khwarezm posted:

In Fallout 1 you can get this ending: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_y4Ao5L6G8. Even leaving that aside both of the first two Fallout games have pretty obvious 'bad' and 'Good' outcomes for almost all of their ending slides without much in between. In the first game it even got to the point that a player with sufficiently bad karma would murder the Vault Overseer at the end of the game. I'd only say its around the time of New Vegas that things got more nuanced. In Bioshock 2 you're also working with a separate Karma system from the little sisters one based on your treatment of certain NPCs that has pretty major repercussions on the ending and is a lot less black and white.

Regarding your other paragraph, the fact remains allowing Dunwall to get destroyed is helping absolutely nobody that are presumably being victimized by all the nobles and such. You are allowing the city to get ruined by a plague(and its clearly established that it killing a whole lot more lower class people than nobles), you are killing your way through throngs of people whose worst crime is taking a security job for Sokolov or whatever, you are creating a situation where almost totally blameless innocents like Calista and her uncle are getting bullets through the forehead. Crazy assholes like granny rags reap dividends from a high chaos situation, as do street sharks like Slackjaw's gang. You literally increase the amount of fly puking, blood crying zombies wandering around the city if you go for high chaos. There is not the slightest indication that High chaos Corvo is fighting for anybody's benefit apart from himself, Emily and the Outsider, who is just getting a kick out of the whole mess. This logic of killing everyone and saying it was a good option because frankly they deserved it tends not to lead to great outcomes in real life, but then that's just my opinion.

are you being willfully dense

it seems like you're being willfully dense

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Coolguye posted:

are you being willfully dense

it seems like you're being willfully dense

This turned into a dumb internet argument fast.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

khwarezm posted:

This turned into a dumb internet argument fast.

khwarezm posted:

Obviously this is subjective but

gee whiz

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Exactly why are you getting so worked up here?

We're just talking about a plot in a video-game and now you're being an rear end in a top hat for no reason?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

khwarezm posted:

We're just talking about a plot in a video-game and now you're being an rear end in a top hat for no reason?

It's Coolguye, he does this literally all the time

redweird posted:

I really liked the Low Chaos/High Chaos system. Do you like killing dudes? Well, now there will be more dudes to kill in levels. Do you like to stealth past people? Ok, we'll keep the amount of enemies fairly constant to help with stealth. Real elegant way to tailor the game to the player in my opinion.

I think the effects it had on the physical game world were good but the effects it had on the story kinda sucked.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

khwarezm posted:

I fail to understand why you're bulldozing over a bunch of stuff to simply reassert what you said before, even after I've declined to comment on most of it because it isn't D&D and we're not gonna answer the question of anarchy being moral here

If continuing to decline to talk about stuff like that is "getting worked up" then there's a memo I missed somewhere

Also lol cjacobs what even is your issue

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Asiina posted:

I went 100% non-lethal in my first and only playthrough, since I prefer a slow and steady type stealth game, but for all the illusion of choice, it did feel like the game was telling me I was playing it wrong. There aren't a lot of non-lethal options with powers or take downs, so it became really stagnant. By the time I realized that wasn't going to change, I was far enough that I didn't want to give up on my pacifist run. Also the fact that you could get a kill because you knocked someone out and their body slipped face down into a puddle while you were half the map away always felt a little cheap, since I'd spend a lot of time making sure dudes were propped up in comfortable positions so they didn't accidentally die after I left them.

The ending itself wasn't too disappointing story wise, but from a gameplay perspective I almost didn't even realize I was at the end since I just had to sneak around like the rest of the game and welp, that's the end of the game.

I still really look forward to this one since despite these design choices I liked the setting and the mechanics, I just hope that if they really are going to let players decide how they want to play, don't secretly punish them for playing in a way that they didn't intend.

Why would you play non-lethal and expect it to be fun? it's like.. the most boring and spergy way to play any game and it's basically only worthwhile for achievments.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Coolguye posted:

I fail to understand why you're bulldozing over a bunch of stuff to simply reassert what you said before, even after I've declined to comment on most of it because it isn't D&D and we're not gonna answer the question of anarchy being moral here

If continuing to decline to talk about stuff like that is "getting worked up" then there's a memo I missed somewhere

Also lol cjacobs what even is your issue

I have a hunch you don't really know what Anarchism, as in the Proudhon type anarchism really entails do you?

Actually you know what gently caress this lets agree to disagree since this obviously has already gone nowhere, although I have gained new respect for CJacobs.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

khwarezm posted:

I have a hunch you don't really know what Anarchism, as in the Proudhon type anarchism really entails do you?

Actually you know what gently caress this lets agree to disagree since this obviously has already gone nowhere, although I have gained new respect for CJacobs.

I know that I don't give a poo poo because I've now declined to comment on it 3 times. I don't even understand what you think we are disagreeing about because I started off saying that your position was good and legit and you kept arguing with me over increasingly bizarre junk

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
you guys would not believe the size of the booger I just picked

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lunethex posted:

you guys would not believe the size of the booger I just picked

Was it a high chaos booger or a low chaos booger. How bloody was the booger

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I picked too many boogers and got the bad ending.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Dishonored is one of my favorite games and I immediately got the big dumb preorder package with the big dumb mask. I can't wait for this, I think my GOTY pick will be between that and Deus Ex.

khwarezm posted:

This logic of killing everyone and saying it was a good option because frankly they deserved it tends not to lead to great outcomes in real life, but then that's just my opinion.

poo poo happens. I loved how killing more people made the world a more terrifying place with more rats to bodies and thus more plague came out. You kill 1000s of people in Uncharted 4 but still get a sloppy pandering ending to jerk you off so if anything, Dishonored kept it surprisingly and refreshingly real with Satan coming out and saying "heh, hell of a ride, glad you helped me spread blood and create fear."

I can't wait for more Outsider poo poo in this one.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

MinibarMatchman posted:

poo poo happens. I loved how killing more people made the world a more terrifying place with more rats to bodies and thus more plague came out. You kill 1000s of people in Uncharted 4 but still get a sloppy pandering ending to jerk you off so if anything, Dishonored kept it surprisingly and refreshingly real with Satan coming out and saying "heh, hell of a ride, glad you helped me spread blood and create fear."

I can't wait for more Outsider poo poo in this one.

I'm not complaining that that's the result of your actions, I love the way you could drag things down into death and chaos.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I think tracking kills was the worst thing Dishonored did. Encouraging you to just play lethal or nonlethal rather than encouraging you to care about what's going on and tailor your play to your mood is really dumb and makes games less fun.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

hemale in pain posted:

Why would you play non-lethal and expect it to be fun? it's like.. the most boring and spergy way to play any game and it's basically only worthwhile for achievments.

Because at first it wasn't clear what exactly the threshold was for low chaos so I was being overly cautious, and then once I was about 1/3rd of the way into the game being completely non-lethal, I figured I might as well keep going.

Non-lethal is actually very fun for the most part because I prefer playing ultra slow, and waiting for the perfect moment. It's great when games don't rush me, and I liked that if one way proved too difficult to do stealthily, I could take an alternate route (I was also playing no detection). I still really liked the game playing that way. I just wish that you couldn't lose your achievement for a level over something you never saw (like an unconscious dude slipping and drowning in a puddle) and that there were more non-lethal takedown options so you aren't seeing the exact same animation the entire game. These are really minor things that can be easily improved that would have kept the gameplay 99% the same, which is fine since it's still a great game.

I'm not saying "hey make this unfun way to play be fun" I'm saying "these small quality of life improvements that have no downside could really help make a good way to play even better"

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Asiina posted:

I just wish that you couldn't lose your achievement for a level over something you never saw (like an unconscious dude slipping and drowning in a puddle)
i just lost Clean Hands in the ongoing LP of Dishonored 1 in Knife of Dunwall because somehow a civilian managed to die off screen and that ended up being my fault because reasons

i made mad faces because it was bad

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

K8.0 posted:

I think tracking kills was the worst thing Dishonored did. Encouraging you to just play lethal or nonlethal rather than encouraging you to care about what's going on and tailor your play to your mood is really dumb and makes games less fun.

Actually tracking kills within the game itself would be a good feature. Give me a stat menu that says how many people I've killed that I can obsessively check every five minutes please.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Pwnstar posted:

Give me a stat menu that says how many orphans I've made that I can obsessively check every five minutes please.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
I feel like by not killing anyone you're actually missing out on content, as in pinning heads to walls and skewering guys half a dozen ways etc. I never even thought about it in terms of 'high chaos' or 'low chaos' playthroughs.

But I can see ghosting through a level and just wiping out your target could be fun too.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

I feel like by not killing anyone you're actually missing out on content, as in pinning heads to walls and skewering guys half a dozen ways etc. I never even thought about it in terms of 'high chaos' or 'low chaos' playthroughs.

But I can see ghosting through a level and just wiping out your target could be fun too.

It's true, there's less to do if you play this way, but also because of the mechanics where knocking someone out had the risk of killing them later, finding ways to go past people without any interaction was often the safest option.

Most levels took multiple attempts to find the right pattern and know when to take a risk in trying to cross a pathway, but that's what made it fun for me rather than just murdering everyone.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Here's a new Corvo gameplay trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxAFgelxgs4

The new Outsider voice sucks.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
A new Corvo + Story video just came out and it looks like the main villain is going to be Delilah. Which I'm honestly surprised about, considering I locked her in a still life painting at the end of that DLC! :argh:

E:FB

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Mordja posted:

A new Corvo + Story video just came out and it looks like the main villain is going to be Delilah. Which I'm honestly surprised about, considering I locked her in a still life painting at the end of that DLC! :argh:

E:FB

i'm just playing that DLC for the first time, and i can't say i'm too surprised - chick is nothing if not resourceful.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Sep 13, 2016

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
You know, it's strange - I was a little disappointed with Dishonored when it first came out but I've really grown to love it. It's a good game as long as you avoid the Clean Hands achievement and don't obsessively reload. Lots of interesting things happen, great aesthetic, level design, all that good stuff.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I liked Dishonored a lot, but still felt the levels were way too small. It just felt "consolized" (for lack of a better word) in the same way Thief 3 did. Stuff like the simple combo locks with massive numbers was really offputting. I've been spoiled by Thief 2 and some of its fan missions.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I want to do a literal ghost run in this game of "only power is to possess dead bodies."

Dishonored: Weekend at Bernie's LP

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I'm trying to do a run now where the only power you can use is blink. It's pretty difficult cause man, it sure would be great if I could see where enemies are.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Asiina posted:

I'm trying to do a run now where the only power you can use is blink. It's pretty difficult cause man, it sure would be great if I could see where enemies are.

It is worth sticking with a 'no abilities' run[1]. Make good use of leaning. If they can't see you when you aren't leaning, then they won't see you when you are. Helps a lot to keep tabs on people.

[1] In real terms, there are only a couple of places where you *have* to blink. Those notwithstanding, you can totally stealth the game with nothing more than situational awareness and smart movement.

Edit: Also, Dishonored is one of the few games where I recommened turning off all UI and frobs even for the first run. Bar a notable exception in one of the DLCs, everything you need to know to do missions well is there in the game-world.

magimix fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 13, 2016

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I found the 'see through walls' power made the game a lot less fun for me, I never took it outside of my ill-advised ghost/clean hands run.

magimix posted:

Edit: Also, Dishonored is one of the few games where I recommened turning off all UI and frobs even for the first run. Bar a notable exception in one of the DLCs, everything you need to know to do missions well is there in the game-world.
I did this and also recommend it, but there's an exception in the Campbell mission as well. The game gives you no indication of where to stash Curnow if you knock him out unless you turn on objective markers.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

magimix posted:

this can be hilariously confusing on the High Overseer mission if you have to drop Curnow in the dumpster because there's no way to tell which dumpster is the right one

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Coolguye posted:

this can be hilariously confusing on the High Overseer mission if you have to drop Curnow in the dumpster because there's no way to tell which dumpster is the right one

Ah! I'd forgotten that one. Yeah, fair enough :haw:

HMS Boromir posted:

I found the 'see through walls' power made the game a lot less fun for me, I never took it outside of my ill-advised ghost/clean hands run.

Ill advised?

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

magimix posted:

Ill advised?

Ghost/Clean Hands is exceedingly dull.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

HMS Boromir posted:

Ghost/Clean Hands is exceedingly dull.

I'm threatened by your opinion! :argh:

One of my favourite playthroughs of the game is the one I got Ghost, Shadow, Clean Hands, and Mostly Flesh & Steel in. It was also one of the quickest, funnily enough. Of course, if wasn't my *first* run, so knowledge of the levels and missions helped. :ninja:

Edit: In any event, the time leading up to D2's release needs to hurry up and pass.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
My first and only run was a Ghost/Clean Hands run, and now I'm trying again to do the same thing, but also only use Blink and nothing else to up the difficulty (also playing on the hardest difficulty).

I like the relaxation of an extremely slow stealth game. The AI is super perceptive at the hardest difficulty though, so trying to take out groups can be difficult if they never find a moment to be far enough apart.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

ghost/clean hands boils down to getting bend time 2 first and then mainlining piero's blue drank for the rest of the game. i suppose you can also make an unholy pact with the spirit water bone charm but yeah, it really just means get bend time 2 and get tons of mana.

there's one or two decently interesting things you need to do while building up to the required level of runes but at the end of the day you're still heavily incentivized to skip 90%+ of the content.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
Stephen Russell isn't even trying to hide the Garrett voice. It's total and utter pandering to Thief fans and it's working!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
I'm not gonna lie that was some loving quality delivery by him throughout the trailer. It both spoke to fans of his work as Garrett and the conspiracy of this game.

• Locked thread