Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Tyson Tomko posted:

Don't read into my Monday morning bitching too much. Just saying I'm not making fun of people for liking Pokemon, I'm making fun of them for hopping on a mega fad bandwagon just because it's cool so yeah I am bitching about a fad, guilty. And no I just played Red/Blue/Yellow and Gold/Silver, didn't touch cards or later games (yet anyway, X/Y and Sun/Moon sound cool)

This game could be about soccer or anything else and I'd still be tired of hearing everyone talk about it. I slack off with the best of them but geesh at least pretend like you're at work instead of walking around starting at your phone.

That being said though it's cool as poo poo hearing soccer moms asking what a Ratatta is and poo poo. Makes me feel like a mad genius dropping knowledge like "Ekans is snake spelled backwards" hah yes.

This game has magic powers I swear. It even has me wanting to go outside on my lunch break and scout around so I can't really blame everyone else. It's nostalgia and collecting that's feeding my urge, maybe it's the fadness and collectability/rivalry that's attracting everyone else.

--- Haha I just got invited to the official work Pokemon Go slack channel, so I'm just as bad as everyone else I'm giving poo poo.

yeah i beat blue and i played silver all the way to the final fight against RED, then my gameboy color and pokemon silver, and a couple of my more valuable cards, all just disappeared one day and I know it's one of like 3 people, one of whom i'm still in contact with and i swear if i ever get a confession out of him i'm going to brick his house at least.

But I got really bored with pokemon, someone literally gave me Ruby for free, i played it on my DS a little bit before realizing it wasn't for me. I know gently caress all about the 3ds games. Last one i tried to play was X or Y but nintendo is really good at making the most irritating time consuming introductions to video games that i have not left the starting town in a pokemon game in at least 10 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Why yes I'd love to play a soulless nostalgia cash-grab that tracks my location and drains the gently caress out of my phone battery.

I am a (wo)manchild who still likes Pokemon and this still seems completely pointless if you have access to the real games. Or hell, even an emulator of previous generations.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
^^^ When I heard the other day that you could transfer Pokemon from the 3DS digital download of Blue to the new Sun/Moon games it got me into it again. I just got into Saffron city on Friday so Pokemon go coming out could not have timed itself better. So right now I'm playing Blue, and I'm playing a VR simulation of Blue in the real world haha. This is so insane.

hemophilia posted:

yeah i beat blue and i played silver all the way to the final fight against RED, then my gameboy color and pokemon silver, and a couple of my more valuable cards, all just disappeared one day and I know it's one of like 3 people, one of whom i'm still in contact with and i swear if i ever get a confession out of him i'm going to brick his house at least.

Yeah the fact that only (I think) the first 151 Pokemon are in this is right up my alley because those are without a doubt the most familiar to me.

And my wife was just chatting me (we work for same corporation) saying her girlfriends up there are trying to get her to play too. My wife, one of the most anti-pokemon people out there, was asking me if a Meowth or Persian was very powerful because they look the cutest.

I give this game a lot of poo poo but man it's 110% magical in the things it's doing. These next few days/weeks should me drat interesting.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

what the gently caress is wrong with you guys?

bricking someones house because of a goddamn children's game, years after the fact?

pokemon is "magical"??? that's a loving stretch

a cloth map
Oct 29, 2011

No thanks. I'm a Government man.

Cuckoo posted:

Why yes I'd love to play a soulless nostalgia cash-grab that tracks my location and drains the gently caress out of my phone battery.

I am a (wo)manchild who still likes Pokemon and this still seems completely pointless if you have access to the real games. Or hell, even an emulator of previous generations.

Every cell phone is a soulless cash grab that tracks your location and drains the battery.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Cuckoo posted:

I suspect i'll get bored with it, but whining about location tracking when theres a non zero chance your phone came rooted with tracking poo poo from your provider, and 95% of the apps on the market use it for something, is kinda dumb.

Also I haven't seen a reason to spend money yet, it's mostly an excuse to go outside and maybe walk off my fupa.

White Noise Marine
Apr 14, 2010

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Why did this need it's own separate thread?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
lol at people letting the media guide their lives and tell them what to think. now if you excuse me i'm off to go play pokemon go :smuggo:

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

no one at my work has talked about this game but i dont think anyone who works here is under 30

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
how long until businesses can pay Nintendo to spawn a bunch of pokemon near their business

like in the playground at McDonald's or in the parking of a used car dealership

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull
so what makes this game good or fun?

seriously?

if it weren't for the "pokemon" name slapped on it, the game would be hot garbage?

is the gameplay fun?

are there interesting/unique quests and objectives?

no.

its like someone took foursquare and spattered pokemon cum all over it to get insipid manchildren and real children to play a very dumb and watered down version of an augmented reality game that failed years ago because nobody played it because the premise was dumb.

this whole thing will be gone before the end of the year save for a few stalwart die-hards that never give up on anything regardless of how stupid it is.

Sound
Oct 18, 2004

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

how long until businesses can pay Nintendo to spawn a bunch of pokemon near their business

like in the playground at McDonald's or in the parking of a used car dealership

more like artisanal burger boutiques and cuddle party providers

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I think it's really nice how people are going out in groups and having fun playing this game.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

tomstuart posted:

so what makes this game good or fun?

seriously?

if it weren't for the "pokemon" name slapped on it, the game would be hot garbage?

is the gameplay fun?

are there interesting/unique quests and objectives?

no.

its like someone took foursquare and spattered pokemon cum all over it to get insipid manchildren and real children to play a very dumb and watered down version of an augmented reality game that failed years ago because nobody played it because the premise was dumb.

this whole thing will be gone before the end of the year save for a few stalwart die-hards that never give up on anything regardless of how stupid it is.

It's basically 3/4 of a handheld pokemon game in real life. The appeal is it mimics being a real trainer in the pokemon world, and yes, that's appealing to anybody who at any point enjoyed pokemon. The problem is that 1/4 of the experience is the more significant part, and it's stripped out in part to monetize a bunch of dumb poo poo, and that sucks, but it's a problem endemic to all mobile gaming and if I could find the guy who figured out how to monetize free-to-play like this, I would skullfuck him with a brick or something.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

I think it's really nice that people are going out in groups and getting mugged playing this game.

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull
t-minus one week tops until some little kid gets kidnapped or molested or raped because of the game and then its lights out for this stupid nonsense

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Tuxedo Gin posted:

I think it's really nice that people are going out in groups and getting mugged playing this game.

raped too

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I'm glad Nintendo's hardware is failing forcing them into other platforms. Maybe after their next console blunder we'll finally see Zelda and Metroid on a good system.

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

my church developed this technology in 2007 to facilitate virtual Easter egg hunts for the children. we are suing nintendo for $45 billion. every in-app purchase you make funds the word of God. thanks for your time

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I hope nobody gets hurt or mugged or raped playing this silly game :ohdear:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

tomstuart posted:

t-minus one week tops until some little kid gets kidnapped or molested or raped because of the game and then its lights out for this stupid nonsense

This has almost certainly already happened. This video is terrible but it illustrates the point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MP_CXPJ9KYA

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

a cloth map posted:

Every cell phone is a soulless cash grab that tracks your location and drains the battery.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Like seriously if you have a cell phone it's already tracking your location six ways to Sunday and every aspect of a modern phone is designed to harvest data and sell you poo poo.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
god dammit... why? why? WHY! WHY MUST I CATCH THEM ALL!

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Pokeoman can't be cool because it's more than a generation old. Seriously who ever heard of something being cool across two generations? Kids today playing Pokemon would be like me playing Mystery Date while wearing bell bottoms.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Chomp8645 posted:

Like seriously if you have a cell phone it's already tracking your location six ways to Sunday and every aspect of a modern phone is designed to harvest data and sell you poo poo.

Agreed. Lol if you care about your privacy like what do you have to hide?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Chomp8645 posted:

Oh no, not my data. drat I'm gonna run out of personal data and be up a creek without a cyber paddle.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
My wife went to court today. She found pokemen

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Chomp8645 posted:

This explains why I'm always getting emails and updates from TurboTax and H&R block about the Federal Unemployment Tax Act.

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull
the idea of the pokemon go game is just dumb

what is the ratio of time spent just walking around like a loving retard to actually doing something, anything, in the game itself

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

tomstuart posted:

the idea of the pokemon go game is just dumb

what is the ratio of time spent just walking around like a loving retard to actually doing something, anything, in the game itself

I'm using a high tech simulator and no matter what ratio I input it comes out with "100% waste of time."

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull
i was going to type something about how the game oculd be improved in some way but then i realized that it is irredeemable and dumb

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Cuckoo posted:

This is true, I missed fighting pokemons and I realized I could just download a rom and play that on my phone

I might do that later

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

tomstuart posted:

i was going to type something about how the game oculd be improved in some way but then i realized that it is irredeemable and dumb

maybe if it makes your phone explode, blinding the user with glass shards and leading to permanent disfigurment

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
More like Pokemon Go AWAY amirite?

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull
its like they stole ideas from other real-world augmented reality games and just slapped pokemon on the whole thing and called it a day

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I hope the rarest of the rare Pokémonso is on top of everest.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

tomstuart posted:

its like they stole ideas from other real-world augmented reality games and just slapped pokemon on the whole thing and called it a day

A can't believe that one mobile game is just a rehash of another.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

pokemon go is a military funded covert op 2 get human walking trail data so they kno where 2 send the bots i've said too muchb ut i'm not scared i've locked myself in my apartment w six blastoises come n get me dick cheney I'll put u in the dirt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Noise Marine
Apr 14, 2010

Lots of gonns itt don't like the idea of going outside... Who knew?

• Locked thread