Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

my grandparents got me that game :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Robot Randy posted:

morrowind my nwah

This and p much all the Civ games

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Jumpo Goes to Town.
Just be careful because the game is timed on your processor speed rather than the system clock. It was originally designed to run on Tandy compatible so on a new computer everything is in super fast mode and some of the sound effects can lock your sound card into a permanent metallic screech.
Also it's been known to brick AMD video cards so it's best to use NVidia.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Applewhite posted:

Jumpo Goes to Town.
Just be careful because the game is timed on your processor speed rather than the system clock. It was originally designed to run on Tandy compatible so on a new computer everything is in super fast mode and some of the sound effects can lock your sound card into a permanent metallic screech.
Also it's been known to brick AMD video cards so it's best to use NVidia.

I hope you know there are emulators for old games and systems that simulate the exact conditions of the kind of hardware that software was meant to run on, so you shouldn't have any trouble with your fake game if you knew what you were doing.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

hemophilia posted:

I hope you know there are emulators for old games and systems that simulate the exact conditions of the kind of hardware that software was meant to run on, so you shouldn't have any trouble with your fake game if you knew what you were doing.

Does this technology work on real life game Wings of Fury? Because to this day all WoF "updates" are utter and complete poo poo and the original program does the processor speed thing so it's unplayable on modern PCs.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Wurzag posted:

This and p much all the Civ games

Civ series as a whole is my poo poo, I've been playing it well over half my life now (been Sid Meier's bitch since 1991; or even before that if we count other games with his name on it -- spent an ungodly amount of time on the C64 version of Pirates, for example, to where I only needed a single map fragment to find the quest treasure because I just knew the game's world map that well).

Kitsunegari
Aug 5, 2013
the 200 hentai visual novels on steam with the links to the uncensored patches on the loving store page, thos are my favorites

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan
Assault Android Cactus is a twin stick shooter with some bullet hell influenced bossfights that is pretty much the best in its genre. Too bad you missed the steam sale, but there's a free demo of it too.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Halo 3 for PC would be if they'd ever port it.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Applewhite posted:

Does this technology work on real life game Wings of Fury? Because to this day all WoF "updates" are utter and complete poo poo and the original program does the processor speed thing so it's unplayable on modern PCs.

I don't know what system that game was on, but if there's a DOS version off hand there is DOSBOX, but i'm 99% sure there are tandy emulators and commodore and amiga and all that. I remember running into a god damned TI Computer emulator once. NOboody bought a TI computer. They were heinous. The hardware was bad. The software was worse. My grandfather was an underling for engineers at Texas Instruments and he remembers the TI computer as a total farce and fiasco everyone involved with is entirely ashamed of, and it showed a lot of people that TI's success was basically just a happy accident in that they happened to have the guy who invented the integrated circuit on staff.

If there is an emulator for THAt goddamn computer, I think there is probably an emulator for anything you want yes.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Zzulu posted:

id like to hear what a young person would say though

someone whho wasnt even born when doom came out
i play a lot of counter-strike: global offensive because i hate myself

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

The Protagonist posted:

was i alone in thinking the ME2 ending jumped the shark so loving hard i never even picked up the third installment?

Pretty sure you are. I didn't think the ending was bad, anyway, save for the human-shaped reaper.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

A Strange Aeon posted:

They've made a billion versions of this, but it is really a beautiful template for a game.

We play one of the versions on PS3 while eating pizza every week before board games.

It's amazing to me nobody stole the concept and made an asynchronous mobile version--I think it'd sell like gangbusters.

There have been lots and lots of mobile "Worms" knockoffs. I'm sure a few were asynchronous. Hell, there's even an official iOS port of Worms.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

ME 2 is a really good action RPG that was a total aberration as ME1 is entirely mediocre and ME3 is a farce from AAA trope filled beginning to the what the gently caress cop out of an ending.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Doc Block posted:

human-shaped reaper.

This is what i mean, it was the dumbest goddamn reveal. I was thinking that I'd killed that thing in contra before

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

The Protagonist posted:

This is what i mean, it was the dumbest goddamn reveal. I was thinking that I'd killed that thing in contra before

They reveal in ME3 that the Reapers look the way they do because that's what the organic species that was dominant when the Reapers were created looked like.

Which wasn't as forehead-splappingly dumb as the rest of the ME3 ending, but at least kinda sorta explains why they were trying to make a Reaper that looked like Commander Shepard.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jul 11, 2016

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Doc Block posted:

They reveal in ME3 that the Reapers look the way they do because that's what the organic species that was dominant when the Reapers were created looked like.

Which wasn't as forehead-splappingly dumb as the rest of the ME3 ending, but at least kinda sorta explains why they were trying to make a Reaper that looked like Commander Shepard.

I beat ME3 but i dont remember that. was it a dlc thing?

to be honest though by the time i got to the end of that game i was just mad I was still playing it. I got it as a "were really sorry" game from Electronic Arts after I made the mistake of buying Sim City 2013 and they figured they needed to actually give me a real game as a consolation prize for falling for their nostalgia scam

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Doc Block posted:

They explained that poo poo in 2, it didn't make the whole stealing humans to melt down and make a great big terminator race with any less dumb

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

hemophilia posted:

to be honest though by the time i got to the end of that game i was just mad I was still playing it. I got it as a "were really sorry" game from Electronic Arts after I made the mistake of buying Sim City 2013 and they figured they needed to actually give me a real game as a consolation prize for falling for their nostalgia scam
They owned you.. twice

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I have been banging my dick against WoW for nine years now and am thoroughly ashamed of myself, but not enough to actually stop playing.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

a hole-y ghost posted:

They owned you.. twice

They owned me so hard I haven't bought a game from them in three years. Hope the $60 was worth it fuckers.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

hemophilia posted:

They owned me so hard I haven't bought a game from them in three years. Hope the $60 was worth it fuckers.
I don't think Electronic Arts actually wants to sell games to people. At least they don't act like it,.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

The Protagonist posted:

They explained that poo poo in 2, it didn't make the whole stealing humans to melt down and make a great big terminator race with any less dumb

Did they? I mean, yeah, it was explained why they were trying to make a Reaper that looked like the main character, but I thought they didn't go into why the Reapers looked the way they do and why they do what they do until ME3.

edit: it's been years since I've played ME2, but I don't think they were stealing humans to make the Shepard-shaped Reaper. I thought it was to pulp them so they could be analyzed, to find out if there was anything special about the main character (and humans in general) that could explain why he was able to foil their plans in the first game.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jul 11, 2016

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Bimmi posted:

I have been banging my dick against WoW for nine years now and am thoroughly ashamed of myself, but not enough to actually stop playing.

the most shameful part is playing inbetween expansions when there is nothing to do except the same poo poo you have been doing for the last 18 months

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan

Bimmi posted:

Just to make you feel worse, I actually won WoW.

For the 10 year anniversary they gave away these cool figurines to everyone who was in from the start and never cancelled their account. I was in from day one but I never subscribed after the 3 months was up that you get with the boxed set, so I never technically cancelled the account, and due to some clerical error, qualified for one of those figures.

It cost them more to ship it to me in Australia than I ever paid for the game.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I will say it every time world of warcraft or blizzard comes up: The company has been a lovely ghost of its former self since activision swallowed it whole and hid behind its brand. Every expansion after burning crusade and basically all development went towards eliminating any sort of challenge or reason to socialize and create a multiplayer experience that doesn't require you to interact with actual people. The reason to play world of warcraft is to play it with a bunch of people you kind of tolerate or even actively like, and do challenging D&D style dungeons with them.

the relationships and stuff matter though, and it's fuckin' lame when you do this stuff basically by yourself with anywhere from 4 to 24 other strangers you will probably not group with ever again.

Riot Bimbo fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jul 12, 2016

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JCGZFQZkdc

the best car combat game. great sound track too.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

FuturePastNow posted:

SimCity 2000

TIE Fighter

MoO2

Doom

fuckin Warcraft not-World-of II

the good games are all in the past

Sorry, what game is MoO2 ...?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

FuturePastNow posted:

SimCity 2000

TIE Fighter

MoO2

Doom

fuckin Warcraft not-World-of II

the good games are all in the past

no Tiberian Dawn, Red Alert, Tiberian Sun, or Red Alert 2. Sorry man you're full of poo poo. fuckin MoO2 representation but no goddamn respect for kane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goQiwNZzoVA

Changed my goddamn life.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Big Red Racing

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

my grandparents got me that game :unsmith:

I think mine did too. Really all the maxis sim games were pretty good, especially sim farm, sim ant and sim tower (and of course sim city i guess).

Except Sim Earth. I hated that game and could never figure out how to play it.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Alien : Isolation. who knew it would be actually terrifying?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

darth_pizza posted:

The title by itself tells you absolutely 100% of what's going to be happening and why it would be potentially terrifying.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

hemophilia posted:

no Tiberian Dawn, Red Alert, Tiberian Sun, or Red Alert 2. Sorry man you're full of poo poo. fuckin MoO2 representation but no goddamn respect for kane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goQiwNZzoVA

Changed my goddamn life.

Seriously, what's MoO2? All I can think is medal of 'onour?

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

I've been playing Elite Dangerous recently. It's pretty good if you want to pew pew or you can just relax and go space truckin'.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

darth_pizza posted:

Oh yeah, this is really good too and I'm pretty sure it would run on a toaster but it still looks pretty nice.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

!Klams posted:

Seriously, what's MoO2? All I can think is medal of 'onour?

some hack space poo poo, prostrate before the true ruler of the genre: Master of Magic

bonus: a steamy gaming pic, too hot for gbs

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

also morrowind and baldurs gate and vanilla world of warcraft I'm not even kidding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

bitmap posted:

some hack space poo poo, prostrate before the true ruler of the genre: Master of Magic

bonus: a steamy gaming pic, too hot for gbs

Oh, master of magic was the dankest! Cool beans, I'm on board.

There was a game called singularity that was out around the same time as BioShock, and for my money actually the better game. It reveled in its gimmicks a lot more, and had a lot more fun set pieces. No rapture, but still very cool, and no one seems to have heard of it. Like it's no Deus Ex, System Shock 2 or whatever, but in the same way that like, Serious Sam is just obviously fun and good, so was singularity. You should play that.

• Locked thread