Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Samovar posted:

Is it my imagination or are the glory kills slightly... underwhelming? They're nowhere near as meaty as some of the stuff I remember from RE4 or other games; the demons just don't seem to have any mass after being punched.

It's clear they favored speed over heft. The Berserker kills aren't much slower, but you can already see those easily bogging things down in normal gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Coke
May 29, 2015
If you didn't like Fallout 3 Alexey, you won't like Fallout 4. Even if you did like 3 you might not like 4. I wonder how many features Bethesda is going to steal from DOOM when they make Fallout 5? Well if Fallout 5 has glory kills, you heard it here first.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Oblivion is one of the best-named games of all time.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Alexeythegreat posted:

One of the challenges in a later level involves executing four Hell Razers with a glory kill that is only triggered by targeting its lower right leg. And there's, like, 6 or 7 Hell Razers in that entire mission. It's pretty bad.

That's EXACTLY the one I was thinking of, I didn't feel like there weren't enough Hell Razers to get it, just that the Glory Kill was almost goddamn impossible to trigger. There are also a few challenges that can really only be done by herding around Possessed or Unwilling or whatever they're called loitering near un-activated gorenests until they're in the right position to work for the upgrade point challenge(or weapon mastery challenge, if anything I felt those were more annoying than the upgrade challenges).

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013
I think the way I dealt with the various "kill X with Y glory kill" (esp on the missions with a low amount of X) was by finding one of X near by a checkpoint and checkpoint-reloading given how, IIRC, you retain your challenge completion even if you reload. Otherwise I kept neck-snapping when I wanted leg impaling...

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I vote to keep the codex entries in. They're like the lore from Metroid Prime- little things to read that add atmosphere to the game's universe.

Edit: Doom 2016 has all these nice little touches, like the "contact HR if for death and dismemberment insurance!" line that plays on the PA.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Aug 22, 2016

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Y-Hat posted:

I vote to keep the codex entries in. They're like the lore from Metroid Prime- little things to read that add atmosphere to the game's universe.

Same here, some of the location lore entries later in the game are downright hilarious, in an intentional way, not due to being bad or anything.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I agree. Keep them in. They help flesh out the game universe pretty well, unlike Doom3's stuff.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

White Coke posted:

If you didn't like Fallout 3 Alexey, you won't like Fallout 4. Even if you did like 3 you might not like 4. I wonder how many features Bethesda is going to steal from DOOM when they make Fallout 5? Well if Fallout 5 has glory kills, you heard it here first.

Agreed; Fallout 4 is a downgrade from the previous Fallouts in many ways. Don't get me wrong, I personally found it a fun ride and I'm gonna pick up the Nuka-wossname DLC when it comes out, but I have very low standards. Even so, I'm probably gonna finish a third playthrough with that DLC and be done with it, unlike the bajillion hours I spent on New Vegas, which will be the best Fallout until Obsidian makes its sequel.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CommissarMega posted:

Agreed; Fallout 4 is a downgrade from the previous Fallouts in many ways. Don't get me wrong, I personally found it a fun ride and I'm gonna pick up the Nuka-wossname DLC when it comes out, but I have very low standards. Even so, I'm probably gonna finish a third playthrough with that DLC and be done with it, unlike the bajillion hours I spent on New Vegas, which will be the best Fallout until Obsidian makes its sequel.

Fallout 4 is fun in terms of gameplay. It has a lot of improvements to the basic gameplay that make it feel more like a typical FPS instead of the janky mess Bethesda slapped together back in 2008, and the engine improvements allow for them to finally have legit motion captured cutscenes for everything instead of people stiffly staring at one another and time freezing during conversations. But the story is like a falling elevator compared to Obsidian's writing in New Vegas.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
I don't want an FPS Fallout, I want an oldschool slow top-down turn-based Fallout. No, I don't care that it's just plain incompatible with modern game design and that should such a Fallout come to exist, I would be the first one to whine about how bad it is :v:

Slaan posted:

I agree. Keep them in. They help flesh out the game universe pretty well, unlike Doom3's stuff.

PurpleXVI posted:

Same here, some of the location lore entries later in the game are downright hilarious, in an intentional way, not due to being bad or anything.

Y-Hat posted:

Edit: Doom 2016 has all these nice little touches, like the "contact HR if for death and dismemberment insurance!" line that plays on the PA.

It's decided, then, this is now officially a hybrid LP!

Samovar posted:

Is it my imagination or are the glory kills slightly... underwhelming? They're nowhere near as meaty as some of the stuff I remember from RE4 or other games; the demons just don't seem to have any mass after being punched.

Bruceski posted:

It's clear they favored speed over heft. The Berserker kills aren't much slower, but you can already see those easily bogging things down in normal gameplay.

There are actually glory kills on some meatier and larger mid-game enemies that both take a bit longer and are more visceral and hefty than the ones reserved for the lightweight imps and possessed.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Alexeythegreat posted:

I don't want an FPS Fallout, I want an oldschool slow top-down turn-based Fallout. No, I don't care that it's just plain incompatible with modern game design and that should such a Fallout come to exist, I would be the first one to whine about how bad it is :v:

I'd love if Bethesda just took inspiration from their other, much better, games like Wolfenstein: TNO, DOOM, and Dishonored. As it is the FPS mechanics in Fallout 4 are so generic that aside from being a betrayal of the original Fallout (or whatever, I haven't played 1&2) it just isn't that much fun to play. There's nothing to separate it from the rest of the pack of generic FPSs. I want to dual wield laser rifles, rip off a bandit's arm and beat him to death with it, or just be able to peek out of cover.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

White Coke posted:

I'd love if Bethesda just took inspiration from their other, much better, games like Wolfenstein: TNO, DOOM, and Dishonored. As it is the FPS mechanics in Fallout 4 are so generic that aside from being a betrayal of the original Fallout (or whatever, I haven't played 1&2) it just isn't that much fun to play. There's nothing to separate it from the rest of the pack of generic FPSs. I want to dual wield laser rifles, rip off a bandit's arm and beat him to death with it, or just be able to peek out of cover.
I've been watching Spoiler Warning's playthrough of it and the game is surprisingly bad. It's like all the bad things from Skyrim mixed up with a bunch of new poor ideas (a lot of which probably comes from Fallout 3). While I admit to not being the greatest fan of post-apocalyptic settings the game handles it so hamhandedly and lovely I'm amazed so many people actually play it. It seems almost completely devoid of anything interesting, and the incredible inconvenient green interface pipboy thing is awful in my not-so-humble opinion. At least in Skyrim you can shout at dragons together with a vampire waifu while raising dead bandits to bash in the head of racist rebels and cleaving elves. I just don't get the appeal of it. :shrug:

The shooting is so very generic yes. It would be better with some sweet Doom shooting and punching though.

Poil fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 22, 2016

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
Okay, semi-random question: am I the only one who keeps expecting the bodies with the key cards and upgrade tokens to move when you bend down to pick the thing up? I know it'd be cliche as hell, but my trope-trained brain keeps expecting it to happen.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Apep727 posted:

Okay, semi-random question: am I the only one who keeps expecting the bodies with the key cards and upgrade tokens to move when you bend down to pick the thing up? I know it'd be cliche as hell, but my trope-trained brain keeps expecting it to happen.

That already happened once. :v: When he grabbed a keycard off one of the super scrub generic enemies and it got up and came after him.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The realest problem with Bethesda is that they are still a small studio of a few dozen guys who are trying to produce AAA games. They have a lot of good ideas but their games can't ever deliver on their promises because they don't have the staff. Bethesda games (at least the ones they develop, not all the ones they publish) are puddle deep because of issues with their company, not with their vision.

I think they would really like to produce the games that they hype. If you look at the original design ideas and how they hyped Oblivion and Skyrim they match up pretty well. Oblivion was supposed to be an invasion with battles and everything, the Radiant system was supposed to do emergent interactions rather than just generate dungeon crawls, Skyrim had major quest lines cut etc. I wonder if they realize it comes off as a bait-and-switch or if they don't realize they have this pattern of not producing what they set out to.

I don't know what they should do because I am not a game publisher, but it's an interesting tidbit behind their "lovely" games. Personally I think there's a core of good ideas there that's always been visible, and people get so upset about Bethesda because they're good at big ideas and bad at following through.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

The realest problem with Bethesda is that they are still a small studio of a few dozen guys who are trying to produce AAA games.
So in other words, they're the rare mid-sized game developer that's trying to adapt to the big game developer paradigm. It's a shame that the middle has fallen out of video games these days.

Weed Wolf
Jul 30, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

The realest problem with Bethesda is that they are still a small studio of a few dozen guys who are trying to produce AAA games. They have a lot of good ideas but their games can't ever deliver on their promises because they don't have the staff. Bethesda games (at least the ones they develop, not all the ones they publish) are puddle deep because of issues with their company, not with their vision.

I think they would really like to produce the games that they hype. If you look at the original design ideas and how they hyped Oblivion and Skyrim they match up pretty well. Oblivion was supposed to be an invasion with battles and everything, the Radiant system was supposed to do emergent interactions rather than just generate dungeon crawls, Skyrim had major quest lines cut etc. I wonder if they realize it comes off as a bait-and-switch or if they don't realize they have this pattern of not producing what they set out to.

I don't know what they should do because I am not a game publisher, but it's an interesting tidbit behind their "lovely" games. Personally I think there's a core of good ideas there that's always been visible, and people get so upset about Bethesda because they're good at big ideas and bad at following through.

bethesda softworks has 100+ employees (450 according to linkedin but that probably has a good deal of ex-employees who haven't updated). it's a AAA game studio. it's not midsize by any stretch.

and adding to the echo chamber that Fallout New Vegas is the only acceptable current generation fallout: the FPS mechanics aren't overwhelming, the RPG mechanics are front and center, and the writing is top notch. Play fallout new vegas, OP.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Fallout 4 put a shockingly low amount of effort into every single aspect of its production that wasn't "make a vaguely okay FPS that looks decent." In that sense, DOOM is a very natural outgrowth. DOOM's disdain for narrative makes it--and I actually believe this btw--the best story Bethesda has ever written as a studio.

"We're pretty busy here, so if you could build us a place to live and grow us some food it would be nice" what the gently caress are you doing RIGHT NOW that's more important than food and shelter. what are you doing other than occupying physical space right now, and why should I do it for you? is hammering on that air vent that hasn't worked for a century more important than finding something to eat tonight? WHY?!?!

Like, alright guys if you don't want to make a Fallout game then don't. Make your own thing. People buy original things, still. hosed up to say, especially in a thread about DOOM, but I have no reason to lie to you!

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

PurpleXVI posted:

That's EXACTLY the one I was thinking of, I didn't feel like there weren't enough Hell Razers to get it, just that the Glory Kill was almost goddamn impossible to trigger. There are also a few challenges that can really only be done by herding around Possessed or Unwilling or whatever they're called loitering near un-activated gorenests until they're in the right position to work for the upgrade point challenge(or weapon mastery challenge, if anything I felt those were more annoying than the upgrade challenges).

I enjoyed many of the challenges in the game, but by far my most hated were the ones that required killing more than one enemy at once. In particular the super shotgun and remote detonation challenges were horrific. And it was especially bad because those challenges were basically mandatory if you wanted to use the related thing - both of them are pretty garbage without the challenge.

My strategy was find a room with a lot of guys and reload a lot. That was quite unpleasant.

By contrast, the challenge for siege mode was quite pleasant. Because it felt like what the mod was designed to do.

Also, for the challenges it helps to play through on nightmare. Then you get to do each fight a few times =P. Though actually the game is fun enough that I didn't mind needing to retry the hard fights a couple of times.

Qrr fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Aug 23, 2016

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

White Coke posted:

Well, here's the thing: Skyrimfalloutwhatevertheyarethesamething is the only thing Bethesda's in-house development studio does. Wolfestein, Doom, Dishonored were all developed by other studios, Bethesda just being the publisher. And the only apparently "good" modern Fallout was outsourced to Obsidian (speaking of, has Obsidian ever even made anything not good?)

Unless Bethesda outsources a thing, it will be Skyrim :v:

Weed Wolf posted:

bethesda softworks has 100+ employees (450 according to linkedin but that probably has a good deal of ex-employees who haven't updated). it's a AAA game studio. it's not midsize by any stretch.

and adding to the echo chamber that Fallout New Vegas is the only acceptable current generation fallout: the FPS mechanics aren't overwhelming, the RPG mechanics are front and center, and the writing is top notch. Play fallout new vegas, OP.

Bethesda Softworks is a publisher, Bethesda Game Studios is their in-house developer that doesn't do anything beyond TES and Fallout. Whether the Game Studios is big I have no idea and this post is going nowhere :v:

Willie Tomg posted:

Fallout 4 put a shockingly low amount of effort into every single aspect of its production that wasn't "make a vaguely okay FPS that looks decent." In that sense, DOOM is a very natural outgrowth. DOOM's disdain for narrative makes it--and I actually believe this btw--the best story Bethesda has ever written as a studio.

"We're pretty busy here, so if you could build us a place to live and grow us some food it would be nice" what the gently caress are you doing RIGHT NOW that's more important than food and shelter. what are you doing other than occupying physical space right now, and why should I do it for you? is hammering on that air vent that hasn't worked for a century more important than finding something to eat tonight? WHY?!?!

Like, alright guys if you don't want to make a Fallout game then don't. Make your own thing. People buy original things, still. hosed up to say, especially in a thread about DOOM, but I have no reason to lie to you!

I knew I wasn't the only one... and half of it is the characterization of Doomguy, which is done almost exclusively by the expressiveness of him punching things. Which is awesome.

nutri_void fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Aug 23, 2016

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Whoever was in charge of those character development moments for the Doom Marine needs a medal and creative control over more games.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

New Vegas was also aided by the Obsidian team that made it including a lot of the guys from the development of the original two Fallout games. I usually consider New Vegas to be the "true" Fallout 3 because it's a nearly direct sequel to Fallout 2, taking place in the area right next door and dealing with the continued expansion in the California/Nevada area like the NCR's rapid growth and imperialism. It's even got some returning characters like Marcus, or related characters like Rose of Sharon Cassidy being John Cassidy's daughter.

In that sense, the games that are actually named Fallout 3 and Fallout 4 are more like side stories: they take place in a completely different area with only a few of the same story elements (which still get changed, like the Brotherhood of Steel having a different outlook on the Wasteland over there) and are developed by a team that had nothing to do with the originals.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Fallout games that aren't "out west" just feel weird to me.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
This update is rich in lore.
I will now go and play my Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, so expect the next update sometime in December :v:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I always found the Rocket Launcher to be pretty useful. With the lock-on secondary ability it becomes GREAT for pummelling distant enemies taking pot shots at you. I don't think it counts as a spoiler that this, a Doom game, has Cacodemons, and I found it wonderful for dealing with them, because two salvos would splort them effectively, freeing me up to focus on ground-bound enemies.

Also the next level has my favourite bits of character for the Doomguy. Looking forward to it.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
The subtle, subdued storytelling in this game is really darn impressive. The moment Olivia came out with that line about how we couldn't have saved "them" (presumably the base crew), I instantly wanted to feed her her own eyeballs. The delivery is so perfectly contemptuous that it's a real gutpunch.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

It's also the first point where the game kinda breaks its "promise" about story in games, its the "don't give a gently caress" attitude where you only pay attention when NPCs force you to because they're sick of being ignored. Here we're stuck at the contrived plot device of the magic rocket-proof glass that they can make walls out of but not make armor out of. You just kinda sit there watching, not even able to test its durability.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

GunnerJ posted:

It's also the first point where the game kinda breaks its "promise" about story in games, its the "don't give a gently caress" attitude where you only pay attention when NPCs force you to because they're sick of being ignored. Here we're stuck at the contrived plot device of the magic rocket-proof glass that they can make walls out of but not make armor out of. You just kinda sit there watching, not even able to test its durability.

Yep. This here is my pet peeve about Doom. It promises to not hinder you in the glory of combat but then backs out and does the usual "behind the window" BS anyway.

Worst offender by far is the Advanced Research Complex mission.

At least Half-Life 2 allowed me to shoot my weapons and break some stuff while the exposition happened.

double nine fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 23, 2016

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Here's a question: At first, Hayden had to contact the Doom Marine through computer screens and such. At what exact point did he get the standard patch-through to a helmet radio? I don't even remember!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

GunnerJ posted:

Here's a question: At first, Hayden had to contact the Doom Marine through computer screens and such. At what exact point did he get the standard patch-through to a helmet radio? I don't even remember!

Around the time VEGA hacked your suit to start giving you combat objectives.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

That just begs the question of why he didn't just do that at first.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
The Doomsuit is ancient technology of demonic origin, so it took a bit of time.

This isn't something outright said in the game, but the basis for this theory I decided to spoiler. Even though I'm violating my own spoiler policy that way :v:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Alternately he's an egotistical Jerkass and seeks to maximize your annoyance in his every encounter.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Molten lava is called that because solid lava rock is still lava. My parents' house is built on lava, and has outcroppings of it jutting up through the lawn, but nothing is on fire unless it's barbeque night.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Yeah, I do agree that the unbreakable glass window shtick is kinda lame, especially with everything else done in the game. Would have made more sense to have had DG try and punch through the glass, or be subjected to some kind of electrical shock that would explain him not being able to do anything.

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

No one mentioning that the lava/molten metal death animation is a blatant terminator reference?
And it's a great reward for those who try and gently caress up a jump in this section! (the little touches)

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I read that Foundry Team entry like it was from an old World War II newsreel. Those Pentagram tattoos are like what kooky Christians thought about supermarket bar code scanners but real.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Bruceski posted:

Molten lava is called that because solid lava rock is still lava. My parents' house is built on lava, and has outcroppings of it jutting up through the lawn, but nothing is on fire unless it's barbeque night.
A real barbeque is powered by molten lava. :colbert:

Last Transmission posted:

No one mentioning that the lava/molten metal death animation is a blatant terminator reference?
And it's a great reward for those who try and gently caress up a jump in this section! (the little touches)
It's also a great jab the player, saying "good job moron". But yes it did put a big smile on my face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I had to reset my Windows and I lost my Steam alongside my Deus Ex files in the process. Gonna have to download them again despite having preloaded them. All my other Steam games have the files intact, but Steam doesn't recognize them. Doom included. :shepicide:

E: I'm a moron, it just reset the list of Steam folders.
Still lost my Deus Ex, though.
E2: Spore is intact, though, so we live! :thumbsup:

All my loving software is gone, so the next update will take a while.

nutri_void fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Aug 23, 2016

• Locked thread