Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Shang is incredibly self aware about the bullshit wuxia RPG he's in and he knows he's the protagonist so he's just going with the flow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Phobophilia posted:

The white haired sage is suspicious as gently caress for a Gandalf.

Long white beard: good
Long white hair: bad

You mark my words

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
I'm pretty sure he's the dude that got his tower taken by the sword nut, this is just a convenient way of getting it back.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Long white beard: good
Long white hair: bad

You mark my words

do not trust beards in wuxia

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Three Cookies posted:

do not trust in wuxia

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I'm pretty sure he's the dude that got his tower taken by the sword nut, this is just a convenient way of getting it back.

Yeah it was hinting pretty strongly that vapewizard was basically just assembling an Ocean's Eleven to break into his own house.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Yeah it was hinting pretty strongly that vapewizard was basically just assembling an Ocean's Eleven to break into his own house.

And this, kids, is why you always leave the key under the mat.

Incidentally, what do you reckon he is - demon or very old and powerful human? Feels like it could go either way.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

And this, kids, is why you always leave the key under the mat.

Incidentally, what do you reckon he is - demon or very old and powerful human? Feels like it could go either way.

That tower seems pretty much demon stuff so the original owner would probably be one, but unless there's more plot establishing why that'd be a big deal it's a bit of a moot point. All that matters is that vapes obviously knows far too much about what's going on, is playing the entire group for chumps, and is way too cool for school.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Since Goodsmile Company is part of the production staff this isn't really unexpected, but prepare for figures

figures of puppets

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

El Burbo posted:

Since Goodsmile Company is part of the production staff this isn't really unexpected, but prepare for figures

I would actually be interested in these if the show continues to be fun and awesome, provided they aren't huge and crazy expensive. I already have Hot Toys figures in my display cases at home so I think I crossed over into 'owning dolls' a long time ago.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

i want a replica puppet

get on that good smile

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
The voice actors make me smile just because of the type-casting, you got Gilgamesh who wants to collect all of his swords against Archer and off to the side we have Kiritsugu sniping.

Is there a trailer or something I can show some of my family? They might like this.

The fights are cool and well choreographed for the most part but the camera constantly switching around makes me sadly a little dizzy. :(

There's something in the way they have the shots and the characters moving around that reminds me of some 90's adventure shows but I can't quite put my finger on it and I like it.

My guess is Dan Fei with his plain looking sword and scabbard has the actual sword they are trying to protect and the one in the tower is a fake from the very start, it's a little odd how he's so OP despite being a wanderer with no fame.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Blackchamber posted:

I would actually be interested in these if the show continues to be fun and awesome, provided they aren't huge and crazy expensive. I already have Hot Toys figures in my display cases at home so I think I crossed over into 'owning dolls' a long time ago.

that one is also a nendoroid though i mean maybe theyll do figmas that look like the puppets but i think the only stuff announced right now is nendo

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Raenir Salazar posted:

The voice actors make me smile just because of the type-casting, you got Gilgamesh who wants to collect all of his swords against Archer and off to the side we have Kiritsugu sniping.

Is there a trailer or something I can show some of my family? They might like this.

The fights are cool and well choreographed for the most part but the camera constantly switching around makes me sadly a little dizzy. :(

There's something in the way they have the shots and the characters moving around that reminds me of some 90's adventure shows but I can't quite put my finger on it and I like it.

My guess is Dan Fei with his plain looking sword and scabbard has the actual sword they are trying to protect and the one in the tower is a fake from the very start, it's a little odd how he's so OP despite being a wanderer with no fame.

Dan Fei is the girl, you're thinking of Shang Bu Huan.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

The voice actors make me smile just because of the type-casting, you got Gilgamesh against Archer and Kiritsugu sniping.

You're not the only one who noticed all the Fate VAs getting brought in.

A lot of the casting is p. on the nose too lol

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Update: I was starting to actually remember the names in Japanese and I thought I could survive on that but now there is a character whose Japanese name is Shou and a character whose Chinese name is Shou and it's making it worse.

I'm glad Tanhi does cool sword poo poo and I like Ken. (Spear guy honestly strikes me as more of a Ken.)

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Danny, scruffy, vapey, snipey

and ken

Theowulv
Feb 21, 2015

My wall can now attack
The fight at the end of this episode was the best one yet.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I really like how non nonchalant they are with vape wizard being a villain. Like everyone else already knew it and didnt give a drat, they are still working with him

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
eh, kind of got bored of this

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Goddamn. Vape wizard gets more awesome with every second. I love how nonchalantly he's playing everybody around him.

Favorite moment: he's stepping right in front of a deranged murderer who's even more powerful than his master... And you just know the Screaming Phoenix Murderer is way out of his depth. Oh, and Impaler dude catching his own arrow was also pretty rad. I hope that guy doesn't get the full brunt of the Worf effect, he's way too rad.

Calling it now: Phoenix dude gets Batman'd to death without a fair fight. I bet there'll be awesome battles, but what takes him down will be vape wizard's effortless puppetmaster poo poo. It'll be hilarious.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

lol

It was cool when the whole thing went widescreen during the (very brief) Lian Qi fight.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Theowulv posted:

The fight at the end of this episode was the best one yet.

:yeah: the best fights have good choreography, instead of just lots of magic and special attacks

i get why you need lots of quick cuts at close angles, only way to get shots of the fistfights when you only have puppets. but it looks great, you always know which fist flies at which face

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

College Slice
Yeah I like the Wushu fighting a lot more than the magic attacks that seem to really lack gravitas to them. It's all Final Fantasy style stuff that doesn't really indicate to me "Is this powerful?" I don't know if they "land" with any kind of ompf. While in Fate you had Unlimited Blade Works and Gate of Babylon as being Really Big Deals and Ufotable did a gorgeous job making them feel that way.

Here? They seem kinda samey and interchangeable with each other, just spamming swords and it seems like almost all of them can do it. The pressure waves from just swinging the swords feel a lot better than the bullet hell particle magic sword spam attacks.

Yeah that's exactly it, it's like being in a Touhou fight. They're pretty but I lack any context to know how the fight is flowing.

For some reason I can't help but ship Juan with Demon lady in my head. My head is already thinking up justifications, he jokes with her like an equal, and by being a demon she must have had some issues where she wasn't accepted by humans, which is why she's in the forest surrounded by undead guards, to keep humans away because she kinda likes humans and the human world but doesn't want to face their rejection again and being all bitter about that.

And now just at the moment where he was going to die, she comes out and saves him in the nick of time.

Calling it now.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jul 31, 2016

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Dunno if anyone has commented on this, but the characters names are really funny. If you read them in Chinese, they have the most cliche-sounding fantasy names ever. The main villain is literally named "Kills Everyone Dies".

So it's basically the equivalent of a western fantasy novel with names like "Blood Ravenheart"

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Ccs posted:

Dunno if anyone has commented on this, but the characters names are really funny. If you read them in Chinese, they have the most cliche-sounding fantasy names ever. The main villain is literally named "Kills Everyone Dies".

So it's basically the equivalent of a western fantasy novel with names like "Blood Ravenheart"

No, that's the Screaming Phoenix Butcher or whatever. The main bad guy is "Heavenscorpse Scorn."

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Scruffy's name is Unconcerned With Dying Young, or YOLO for short

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

You guys were supposed to point out the irony of Shang's name and its contrast with his, frankly, well-placed caution around vapey and his schemes.

Also I'm going to call phoenix killa "Chesty" from hereon out.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Also can we acknowledge the official anime versions of the puppets for a second?

(Oops, spoilers, Murder No-life is listed on the site under "Main character's allies.")

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Caphi posted:

Also can we acknowledge the official anime versions of the puppets for a second?

(Oops, spoilers, Murder No-life is listed on the site under "Main character's allies.")

Shang looks a hell of a lot more clean-cut in that art. Hiding his chinstrap beard is probably part of it, but he generally gives off way less of a murderhobo vibe.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Much less baggy, guess you cant be skintight on a puppet, huh

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

This just becomes more accurate with each episode

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

the whole conversation was cool

also this has a manga now?

i dont see the point of that

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

the point is to make mad bank

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

El Burbo posted:

the whole conversation was cool

also this has a manga now?

i dont see the point of that

it should be pictures of the puppets, imo

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I like those designs, I'm up for it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

So we're up to five episodes of setup now. I'd forgotten how urobuchi can like to take his sweet time.

I guess you have to assemble the crew and all but this would probably be better binged as a batch than one episode a week.

Kaptain
Oct 5, 2014
I absolutely adore mind duel in my Wuxia story.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeeoEpmyb2Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
This show rules. I thought the group of 5 was going to be our heroes, but I'm being surprised a lot, and I can't wait to see where it all ends up.

Hopefully with Syou Fu Kan being grumpy, because that never gets old for me for some reason.

• Locked thread