Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Or a demon that was left behind :shepface:

drat todays episode was great. They have one episode left right? With Juan being given his soliloquy the only person left is Shang, the name of the next episode relating to Shangs title, we are going to see some poo poo

Two actually according to wikipedia. Looks like Hookman is finally going to do something cool in the next episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009
I was very worried Juan was tricking the Princess on behalf of his master, so I'm glad to see he's become a true hero, even if he may yet come to sticky end.

On a related note, I just realised that One-Eyed Impaler is an epithet that works well for both a bowman and a spearman.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
lin you hosed up this situation was dead obvious

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

Phobophilia posted:

lin you hosed up this situation was dead obvious

On the other hand, it's gotta be one of the few times we had someone like Lin with a nearly Sherlockian calm in figuring out how he was duped and the extent of it, I like he calmly investigated the situation.

I'm starting to really wonder what's up with Shang or Lin. That we're missing a demon and Shang acting up in response to "Only one demon was killed." with "Or is it?" :smug: has me nervous.

e: Juan doing something truly Heroic is really cool, as someone above notices it's certainly possible Juan ends up taking the title from his Master in a very Klingon fashion and rehabilitates it.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'm starting to really wonder what's up with Shang or Lin. That we're missing a demon and Shang acting up in response to "Only one demon was killed." with "Or is it?" :smug: has me nervous.

Yeah that exchange was way too in there to not mean anything. But watch it be completely inconsequential....there is a song in the OST called devigod

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

College Slice
One on hand, Shang has been very consistent in his "Apathetic Jerk with a Heart of Gold" personality where he isn't really willing to let innocent people be harmed despite pretensions to just want to be left doing his own thing traveling alone unbothered and unburdened.

It's hard to imagine he's a Demon God when he apparently never recognized the Night's Lament and generally seems like a good person.

On the other hand, maybe if he IS the Demon God, but reincarnated in a human, this may explain his power and why he tries so hard not to be involved in peoples poo poo. He doesn't want anyone to be hurt.

It could also obliquely explain the barrier prioritizing expelling him over Night's Lament.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Lin going "oh yeah now I get it, it's all about surviving so we can get revenge! Common Juan we're going to gently caress up the bones of creation" honestly made laugh because of how hopeless outclassed she (they) are :shobon:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Mango Polo posted:

Lin going "oh yeah now I get it, it's all about surviving so we can get revenge! Common Juan we're going to gently caress up the bones of creation" honestly made laugh because of how hopeless outclassed she (they) are :shobon:

Well to be fair they one way or another probably feel they can't let him keep the guard/handle.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I love that each character walks differently. I wonder if the puppeteers have a standard set of walks for different kinds of characters. :allears:

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

drat, that's a whole lot of things being set up for the final episode. Gonna be a LOOOOOOT to unpack. I love this show. I liked how methodical Lin was in analyzing where his plan went wrong! He really feels like a puppetmaster character done right: we see his thought process, we know about his fallback plans, he's ridiculously audacious, and he improvises like a madman.

So, prediction time!

- Juan vs. One-Eyed Impaler, that one's obvious. I really like the idea that he could take the title and redeem it.
- Hook dude is gonna have an awesome 1 vs. 1 with Shang! I expect a rad duel. Pretty sure he's gonna lose, which will reveal something about Shang.
- I would absolutely love Shrine Maiden to take down the Bones of Creation, no matter how unlikely, since drat she deserves that one. But she's also the only one (aside from Lin) who's got beef with Demon Lady, so she might fight her in the end instead. Dunno!
- Yeah, I think it's very likely Shang is that last presumably killed demon king Bones dude was talking about. He's chuckling to himself because the sacred tools were NEVER meant to kill - they were meant to banish! So when the demon king was hit by the greatest weapon, his evil was sealed, and now he's a redeemed mortal. I could imagine something like Bones assembling the ultimate weapon, then promptly using it on someone - only for it to utterly FAIL because it banishes evil, you dumb gently caress, the ultimate power is redemption. That would be funny and also a very nice refutation of Bones' entire Swords-Are-Ultimate-Power credo.

...also, I still want to know what exactly Lin stole from Impaler, Demon Lady and, yes, Phoenix Killer... :(

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I half suspect Lin stole Lament's heart. :v:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i suspect he stole all of their hearts

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
because he stole mine

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

I found that Phoenix Killer's name "Kills Everyone. Dies." was surprisingly accurate.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

My only regret is that he didn't kill more people.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
I imagine they had to close quite a few floors for cleaning after he made his way up the tower.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Dunno how I feel about this episode...

On one hand: Shang is a supremely rad dude, Shang-Is-Former-Demon-God theory going stronger than ever, hook dude predictably fails in a hilarious fashion (rib in peace :haw: ).

On the other, I REALLY don't like Lin pulling out a sword - I would've preferred him as a weaponless smartass ! Also, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Impaler, you're my favorite character, don't have such a lame death! Com'on, survive to attack Lament when she least expects it, then have a rad duel with your bro over your title, pleaaaaaase :(

Oh well.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Welp, so much for Shang being the demon god. Instead that sword blade was just sealing the demon god who will soon be loose via the scheming of Night's Lament who is far more powerful than anyone had assumed.

Also holy poo poo, Shang just ripping people apart with a random branch or by hitting them with the cloth trailing from his arms, I think ol' Bones has a big surprise in the form of :c00lbert:The Edgeless Blade:c00lbert:

Also Impaler got the sort of death he deserved, IMO.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Agreed

"Show proper respect in the cremation!" vs "Eh, just leave him in the ditch"

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

im really liking this part from the op now

Smoking Crow posted:

Miè Tiān Hái
Satan.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Welp, so much for Shang being the demon god. Instead that sword blade was just sealing the demon god who will soon be loose via the scheming of Night's Lament who is far more powerful than anyone had assumed.

Also holy poo poo, Shang just ripping people apart with a random branch or by hitting them with the cloth trailing from his arms, I think ol' Bones has a big surprise in the form of :c00lbert:The Edgeless Blade:c00lbert:

I disagree :colbert:

Shang could still be the demon god. After all, Shrine Girl (I'm never gonna remember her actual name) explicitly mentioned that demons, instead of dying, could be reborn into a new body. That just screams reincarnation to me. Also, if Shang WASN'T anything like that, it'd still be fishy why he'd ask all those questions about demons, which implies that he knows MUCH more about demons than he lets on... There's definitely some sort of connection, at least.
Since Lament had no clue what was actually below the sword, it could very well be that it's just the demon god's corpse. We saw it moving in the preview, so either that's a fakeout, Shang returns to his original body, Lament revives it with necromancy (???) or whatever... Dunno, it could still be the real deal, and Shang is just a foreign demon hunter or someting. I still like this theory.

One thing's for sure, at least: there's bound to be more revelations about Shang in the last episode. Still waiting for that last poem.

Oh, and regarding Impaler?
He's definitely a dick, no doubt. I just wished there was more closure for Juan. Which is why I doubt Impaler is dead for good; this show just seems savvy enough to go "you thought I would actually die from just half a minute of choking? I just pretended!" Plus, the "corpse" just falling out of sight. I'm suspicious of that one. Hoping for a properly awesome closure for Juan, ideally by kicking his bro's rear end.

Maybe the show just plays all of this straight, and these theories turn out to be garbage. Who knows. I'm a little disappointed if that's really it, to be honest.
Just give me a single fight against non-mooks that Juan actually wins :(

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The demon is the thing in the hole and not the bad rear end clubbing everything to death with a big stick.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.
Calling it here,:

Lin's luck runs out and he dies against Betsu, leaving Shang to finish the job. He defeats and kills Betsu then takes his sword to finish the job on the giant demon. Maybe has to sacrifice himself. The series took a very interesting turn but I'm kind of bummed out all the people I liked ended up being actual bad guys possibly worse than the main villain. I was looking forward to seeing some of them get more development, like one eyed impaler and Juan along with Xing Hai. Was also really hoping for some kind of duel between Shang and the Phoenix Killer.

I really enjoyed the series a lot though and would love to see more stuff like it. I've never seen any of the creator's stuff so maybe the turn of events was less of a surprise to people more familiar with his works.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Dolphin Fetus posted:

Calling it here,:

Lin's luck runs out and he dies against Betsu, leaving Shang to finish the job. He defeats and kills Betsu then takes his sword to finish the job on the giant demon. Maybe has to sacrifice himself. The series took a very interesting turn but I'm kind of bummed out all the people I liked ended up being actual bad guys possibly worse than the main villain. I was looking forward to seeing some of them get more development, like one eyed impaler and Juan along with Xing Hai. Was also really hoping for some kind of duel between Shang and the Phoenix Killer.

I really enjoyed the series a lot though and would love to see more stuff like it. I've never seen any of the creator's stuff so maybe the turn of events was less of a surprise to people more familiar with his works.

What if his name was Betsy instead of Betsu, like the villain from Kung Pow. That would be epic.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

I haven't bothered to learn any of the names. I call them Chinstrap, Ken, Girl, Vaper, and Heavenscorpse Scorn. In my head at least, because I can't really talk about this show with anyone in real life.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
This is a pretty good show all around
http://i.imgur.com/LWuAWGN.gifv

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The reveal that it's not actually a blunt sword, bit is just a wooden training sword he painted metal is extremely metal.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Raenir Salazar posted:

The reveal that it's not actually a blunt sword, bit is just a wooden training sword he painted metal is extremely metal.

He's badass.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

"Come to think of it, if a traveler from Xi You wouldn't know about our infamous and legendary figures, it stands to reason that we wouldn't know anything about any mighty and legendary heroes from Xi You either."

and Shang just sort of shrugs and laughs

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Juan somehow keeps consistently rolling natural 20's on his Wisdom checks.

Theowulv
Feb 21, 2015

My wall can now attack
This was by far my favorite thing Urobuchi has ever worked on. The final episode just constantly one upped itself holy poo poo. And that post credits reveal! gently caress YES!!!! I had to go for a run after that. too much energy.

Kaptain
Oct 5, 2014
That was the best kind of anti-climax. The fact that Shang already owns 36 35 of the macguffin explains his disinterest of the show wuxia plot. He's already tired of this poo poo.

And yes, second season confirmed.
https://twitter.com/TBF_PR/status/781864042734301184

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Theowulv posted:

This was by far my favorite thing Urobuchi has ever worked on. The final episode just constantly one upped itself holy poo poo. And that post credits reveal! gently caress YES!!!! I had to go for a run after that. too much energy.

Holy poo poo yes

Enigmatic Gale :allears:

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

Kaptain posted:

That was the best kind of anti-climax. The fact that Shang already owns 36 35 of the macguffin explains his disinterest of the show wuxia plot. He's already tired of this poo poo.

And yes, second season confirmed.
https://twitter.com/TBF_PR/status/781864042734301184

Awesome, I was sad things were finished and now I have something else to look forward to.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
This was not the ending I expected. It was even better :allears:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it is regrettable that shang never really fought anyone particularly impressive, but i guess a bunch of mooks or zombies actually gave him more of a challenge than mr bones would have.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Badass.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
That was amazing. I can't wait for the next season. :haw:

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
First Urobuchi show I've enjoyed front to back. What a ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man Dancer
Apr 22, 2008
"Man, shut the hell up." got a genuine laugh out of me. This show really emphasized how much clever character writing goes into making a wuxia story good. Super glad there's another series coming.

• Locked thread