Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I could call shang by his name but I'll just keep calling him Scruffy.

Also yeah those puppets are huge and they all have billowing robes to hide the puppeteers operating them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm glad Thunderbolt Fantasy is getting so much attention because the last time I posted about Taiwanese puppet shows in the chat thread people looked at me like I was crazy

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Relin posted:

i cant believe i'm watching this. it's as braindead as all of urobuchi's works but the puppet gimmick is just too good

Oh, this isn't just a simple gimmick. It's a whole drat genre, and this show basically only exists because Urobuchi stumbled onto this stuff when he was in Taiwan and decided he wanted in on it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dercYcpxcQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwNB2Ig37HI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qs1mnL-LvrE

Yes these are three different OPs all from the same show I don't give a gently caress

Also the actual physical limitations of using puppets means these go full CGI sword wizard all the drat time

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Basically Thunderbolt Fantasy only exists because Urobuchi nerded out over pretty kung fu dolls

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ConanThe3rd posted:

So is the amount of people exploding something that Gen brought into things or a natural state for this sort of show?

Funnily enough, the violence isn't just because Urobutcher wrote it.

These shows can get more bloody and gory than you'd expect at a glance. I think they get away with it because they're all puppets and it looks inherently silly in a dark comedy kind of way to see what's essentially a fancy doll reduced to bloody stumps.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52DapeZZTR0

(lol that I'm posting a bunch of Bangbubu clips in a thread for a Pili show)

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Urobuchi can be pretty hit or miss but may as well be on the ground floor for this one, it's pretty unique as far as "anime" that's on offer.

At the very least it's starting off stronger than Kamen Rider Gaim did.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm really liking Bow Guy and Spear Guy.

Also, the show that Wulin Warriors was localized from?

Pili.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Pewdiepie posted:

I hate it.

same

I'll just keep calling them by dumb nicknames

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I'm pretty sure he's the dude that got his tower taken by the sword nut, this is just a convenient way of getting it back.

Yeah it was hinting pretty strongly that vapewizard was basically just assembling an Ocean's Eleven to break into his own house.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

And this, kids, is why you always leave the key under the mat.

Incidentally, what do you reckon he is - demon or very old and powerful human? Feels like it could go either way.

That tower seems pretty much demon stuff so the original owner would probably be one, but unless there's more plot establishing why that'd be a big deal it's a bit of a moot point. All that matters is that vapes obviously knows far too much about what's going on, is playing the entire group for chumps, and is way too cool for school.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

The voice actors make me smile just because of the type-casting, you got Gilgamesh against Archer and Kiritsugu sniping.

You're not the only one who noticed all the Fate VAs getting brought in.

A lot of the casting is p. on the nose too lol

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Danny, scruffy, vapey, snipey

and ken

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Scruffy's name is Unconcerned With Dying Young, or YOLO for short

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

You guys were supposed to point out the irony of Shang's name and its contrast with his, frankly, well-placed caution around vapey and his schemes.

Also I'm going to call phoenix killa "Chesty" from hereon out.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

So we're up to five episodes of setup now. I'd forgotten how urobuchi can like to take his sweet time.

I guess you have to assemble the crew and all but this would probably be better binged as a batch than one episode a week.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I have a hard time believing the situation as presented is going to be the endgame, the main party is too strong and too fractious for Bones to be the last boss.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I assumed it was Taiwanese Mandarin. Which to be fair I always thought was Cantonese when my friend speaks it to his relatives.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Hey now Kamen Rider Gaim was actually pretty good if you set aside the incredibly forced and tone-deaf ending.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

He was just being faithful to Kamen Rider tradition. :v:

:omarcomin:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I simulwatch this with friends but my Taiwanese friend is still waiting for the Chinese version so I won't really have anything to say about ThudFan for a day or two.

Now Gaim on the other hand, whoa nelly

Schneider Heim posted:

What actually happened there?

Honestly? I don't really know, but I still have my thoughts on it.

There've been enough bad Kamen Riders, and some with notorious production problems, that whatever problems Gaim had aren't considered that big of a deal. It was pretty obvious though, by how rushed some of the powerups seemed, that the plot was written to match the timing of the power ups' toy release schedule rather than letting them happen naturally. That said, this sort of thing applies to all recent KRs and the better ones still manage to write around that. Gaim in the end was kind of uneven in quality, much like Urobuchi's career in general--when he's good he's really good, he's just not always. When Gaim was good it was drat good, but the end seemed to try to force tragedy and moral ambiguity in a way that didn't really seem to match with the message and theme that the show had seemed to be running with. On that note I think the rival character was a lot more sympathetic and popular than people expected, being something of a breakout character, so his tragic fate and antagonistic motives in the end actually felt kind of weirdly forced despite being completely consistent with the character on a textual level--it's hard to explain, but I think there was a disconnect between the plot and the tone there. And the protagonist had very little agency, being mostly a chew toy to the whims of the plot. Much like just about all of the female characters, two of whom died to motivate a male character but for one of them the death didn't stick. The protag's final upgrade to becoming a God was unintentionally hilarious, though, and him getting sarcastically called "God" by Drive's hero in the crossover promo movie was pretty great.

I still laugh when I think about what the gently caress happened. I guess Urobuchi's style and sensibilities didn't really seem to mesh with the state of the modern KR franchise, as he was clearly a fan of Kuuga and Agito and Gaim seemed to be a throwback to the darker half of the Phase 1 Heisei (2001-2010) series in a number of ways, setting aside the bright and cheery Phase 2 (2011+) stylings.

Riku Sanjo (W, Drive) is still the better KR lead writer imo

Runa fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 19, 2016

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The real enemy was the friends you made along the way.

Jo Joestar posted:

Does anyone else find it suspicious that Shang Bu Huan was repelled by a barrier created to defend against dark magic?

Until you mentioned it it looked like a normal side effect of the barrier going up. But yeah, that's food for thought.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

This is getting extremely silly and I'm loving it

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

"Come to think of it, if a traveler from Xi You wouldn't know about our infamous and legendary figures, it stands to reason that we wouldn't know anything about any mighty and legendary heroes from Xi You either."

and Shang just sort of shrugs and laughs

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

This was probably the best possible explanation for Shang. And relatively straightforward, too

It was also pretty great how understated his soliloquy is.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The only thing I dislike about thudfan is the opening theme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I genuinely cannot think of any other place to post this

http://www.bilibili.com/video/av5382076/

• Locked thread