Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
Here they come to erase the homos at last

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0WnZyxp_Wo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

This thread is like the south park episode about Harley riders except it's about condo owners

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Back in my day when we played Poke a man we did everything we could to avoid catching anything.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Someone take over the local gym with a trainer named "3OLIVESSUCKS"

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
3 Olives is such a lazy evolution, Olive deserved better

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

GIMME GIMME GIMME, DON'T ASK WHAT FOR

Butt Wizard posted:

http://m.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11672443

I like how NZ is so bereft of actual places to designate as Pokestops that they've resorted to using motorcycle gang headquarters.
the most self defeating nerd game, it requires you to show up where you will get stabbed and beaten because you are that awful for even playing it

i like it tell me more

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

whoflungpoop posted:

Teach the kids about all the things you've caught without an app

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Rob those goddamn poke jerks

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
A child is wandering around outdoors looking for Pokemon. He crosses 3O's line of sight 50 yards away.

3O: (!)
*Sprints over to kid*

3O: I LIVE IN THESE CONDOS. YOU ARE TRESPASSING!

*It's a battle!*

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

three olives is the kind of guy who would have a pet newt

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
You live in a condo not a house you son of a bitch I know my 3O lore... I'm driving to where you live and I'm gonna capture that gym

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

My favorite 3O anecdote is when he called the city or his building mgmt and had them put those hobo spikes outside of his building so that hobos wouldnt sleep there.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

vyst posted:

My favorite 3O anecdote is when he called the city or his building mgmt and had them put those hobo spikes outside of his building so that hobos wouldnt sleep there.

Mine is that he can only take uber to places and absolutely cannot walk because he will get beat up for being a homosexual.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

vyst posted:

I guess he was tired of getting turned down when he invited them up to his place.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
3OLIVES uses GET OFF MY LAWN. It's not very effective.

CHILD uses STRANGER DANGER. It's super effective.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Applewhite posted:

A child is wandering around outdoors looking for Pokemon. He crosses 3O's line of sight 50 yards away.

3O: (!)
*Sprints over to kid*

3O: I LIVE IN THESE CONDOS. YOU ARE TRESPASSING!

*It's a battle!*

lol

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Voted 5 not due to contents of op, but due to savage and well-deserved TO insults in the replies.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I installed this but I already forgot my password and clicking "forgot my password" brings up a page saying they are restricting new accounts from being made right now , so welp.
Sorry if anyone actually wanted to play this. I took your account spot

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

OctoberBlues posted:

Mine is that he can only take uber to places and absolutely cannot walk because he will get beat up for being a homosexual.

In 2016, it's more likely that he's being beat up in spite of being a homosexual.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
Can you actually fight pokemon with other people? I took it for granted that that works but if it's just a collectathon then just lol

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

The Protagonist posted:

Can you actually fight pokemon with other people? I took it for granted that that works but if it's just a collectathon then just lol

You cannot, please buy the $60 3DS version to do this

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
guys im a pokemon too!

pm me your credit card details for more real world pokemon achievements!

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
posting in a
~THREE OLIVES~
thread

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Howard Beale posted:

posting in a
~THREE OLIVES~
thread

From now on, only literate white land-owners should be able to post in 3O threads, as tribute to his vision of a perfect America.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
I hated Pokemon until I saw this thread and now I love it.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
why'd they build an office building next to a cemetary

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

Darth123123 posted:

why'd they build an office building next to a cemetary

Because the cemetery was built over 100 years ago when it wasn't on some of the most expensive land in the city.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
it's appropiate to put the literal dead next door to the dead-inside (condo owners)

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Cemeteries are a fine place for a nice walk, or a picnic or to catch some more goddamn pidgies.

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
so after you catch the pokemon, then what? you sell them for candies? what is the point of this game??

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Pitdragon posted:

so after you catch the pokemon, then what? you sell them for candies? what is the point of this game??

What's the point of anything, really?

just ray
Jan 3, 2014

by merry exmarx
whats the opposite of when people care when you die?

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

just ray posted:

whats the opposite of when people care when you die?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I post this every time he makes a thread because everyone needs to read it.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3124556

First I must preface this by saying while I have a little more than intermediate technical grasp, I am in no way an expert, but I think I might possibly have a huge opportunity.

I live in a high-rise downtown, in-fact, pretty much every piece of fibre network connection in Dallas is literally runs within 20-ft of my building. Many years ago before broadband was that popular a company came in to offer broadband to our building. As a consequence we have CAT 5 pulled to all 129 units in the 22 story high-rise connecting to a switch on each floor and amazingly easy connections between floors to pull gigabit ethernet or fibre between them. Currently we are connected to an AirBand fixed wireless connection but our contract with our original provider has ended and they are no longer in the ISP business so we are currently running without support and looking for options.

From what I have heard from my neighbors, the service they have now sucks, they have trouble with YouTube, but it is only $15 a month with no contract so they don't complain too much and most of the ones that have it are older, long term residents that really don't want to bother with anything else.

I am currently paying $35 a month for a reliable 5Mbps/650Kbps connection with AT&T. I am willing to shoulder an acceptable amount of risk and an upfront investment in the $30k-$40k range, possibly more depending on the pay off and long term potential to recoup the costs if I can make this work but only if I could offer something amazingly better then what is currently offered through Time Warner/AT&T.

I think I have a lot going for me, CAT 5 to each unit, a high-rise, proximity to fiber, an existing line of sight to a high-end fixed wireless provider and the ability to lock up an exclusive contract to the CAT5 and a very reasonable price. Frankly, I don't even care about making money at this, just breaking even at it in the next 5-ish years but only if I can offer something amazing, like in the 20-100Mbps range at a (speed adjusted of course) comparable price to Time Warner/AT&T.

I am very capable of doing my own research but I know nothing about bandwidth cost and allocation or where to start. My basic question is, am I barking up the wrong tree here and is this not worth my time at all or is there a potential for me and my neighbors to have something amazing available to us at a reasonable cost considering our density and proximity to very high-speed connectivity.

We already have a third party contract for email and billing is already administered by the HOA so I am sure I can arrange a similar arrangement with the HOA. I am well versed in general business requirements, just not the feasibility of running a very high speed ISP with a maximum of 99~ possible customers.

As far as support goes, it would be the same as the existing ISP, no end-user support as long as someone's computer is not hosed up if they can plug into your ethernet jack and get a connection, your technical issues with utilizing the service that we know we are providing is not our problem. As far as authentication and all that, there are individual line runs to each floor to locked equipment closets. If someone doesn't pay, I could just pull their ethernet plug and the HOA could actually foreclose on their unit if they refused to pay the bill.

I really think I have a TON of potential here.

This isn't a project that I think I can stroll into Best Buy and buy a bunch of routers and call up AirBand to bump up the bandwidth and have a mess on my hands if it doesn't work. I am willing to front significant costs to hire experts and buy equipment, I just don't want to be several thousand dollars into this project and realize I am hosed and this is never going to make financial sense, even years down the road.

Two of everything redundancy makes sense in a business but this is an condo building, besides a dozen possibly pissed off people no long term ill-effects.

Now that seems way excessive. This isn't a business, it's people's home internet. if one 100 MB connection goes down for a few hours it wouldn't be the end of the word. To reiterate, the current service can barely handle YouTube, worst case I could fall back on a T1 or business class DSL, no need to fall back to a 100MB connection. Airband says they offer up to 1GB fixed wireless connections.

No one? Again, we aren't talking large scale ISP here, just less then 100 users. In a condo building, 99% of them are in bed at 11PM. If they want reliability and someone to bitch at call AT&T, if you want a incredibly fast connection and can accept that a few times a year at 1AM it's going to drop down to 200Kbps until the next business day, call me. I expect most of my neighbors would call me.

I'm find with slumlord, as long as the 95% of time I am providing service it blows anything else they can get out of the water. Several dozen people are currently dealing with a slumlord ISP except they can barely even play YouTube and they are still writing check every month and have been for years.

Honestly, that is my question. I have a very good grasp of ideas of economies of scale in theory and practice, I just admittedly don't understand them on a micro-scale of broadband.

As far as I am concerned, SBC is getting one hell of a deal servicing our building with it's almost perfectly ideal infrastructure requirements when it is offering the same prices to single family houses just a few blocks away and must deal with the burden of much higher cost related to billing, collections, infrastructure repair then a the requirements of a building such as mine. And again, I am not looking to make a profit, breaking even would be fine with me given personal and resale benefits of owning an apartment with one of the fastest/cheapest broadband offered in the city.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I hope your heart Pokestops

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Jose Oquendo posted:

Thank you for this

PinkSox
Dec 27, 2003
I BUY BIG RED TITLES FOR MY FRIENDS

Jose Oquendo posted:

First I must preface this by saying while I have a little more than intermediate technical grasp, I am in no way an expert, but I think I might possibly have a huge opportunity.

I live in a high-rise downtown, in-fact, pretty much every piece of fibre network connection in Dallas is literally runs within 20-ft of my building. Many years ago before broadband was that popular a company came in to offer broadband to our building. As a consequence we have CAT 5 pulled to all 129 units in the 22 story high-rise connecting to a switch on each floor and amazingly easy connections between floors to pull gigabit ethernet or fibre between them. Currently we are connected to an AirBand fixed wireless connection but our contract with our original provider has ended and they are no longer in the ISP business so we are currently running without support and looking for options.

From what I have heard from my neighbors, the service they have now sucks, they have trouble with YouTube, but it is only $15 a month with no contract so they don't complain too much and most of the ones that have it are older, long term residents that really don't want to bother with anything else.

I am currently paying $35 a month for a reliable 5Mbps/650Kbps connection with AT&T. I am willing to shoulder an acceptable amount of risk and an upfront investment in the $30k-$40k range, possibly more depending on the pay off and long term potential to recoup the costs if I can make this work but only if I could offer something amazingly better then what is currently offered through Time Warner/AT&T.

I think I have a lot going for me, CAT 5 to each unit, a high-rise, proximity to fiber, an existing line of sight to a high-end fixed wireless provider and the ability to lock up an exclusive contract to the CAT5 and a very reasonable price. Frankly, I don't even care about making money at this, just breaking even at it in the next 5-ish years but only if I can offer something amazing, like in the 20-100Mbps range at a (speed adjusted of course) comparable price to Time Warner/AT&T.

I am very capable of doing my own research but I know nothing about bandwidth cost and allocation or where to start. My basic question is, am I barking up the wrong tree here and is this not worth my time at all or is there a potential for me and my neighbors to have something amazing available to us at a reasonable cost considering our density and proximity to very high-speed connectivity.

We already have a third party contract for email and billing is already administered by the HOA so I am sure I can arrange a similar arrangement with the HOA. I am well versed in general business requirements, just not the feasibility of running a very high speed ISP with a maximum of 99~ possible customers.

As far as support goes, it would be the same as the existing ISP, no end-user support as long as someone's computer is not hosed up if they can plug into your ethernet jack and get a connection, your technical issues with utilizing the service that we know we are providing is not our problem. As far as authentication and all that, there are individual line runs to each floor to locked equipment closets. If someone doesn't pay, I could just pull their ethernet plug and the HOA could actually foreclose on their unit if they refused to pay the bill.

I really think I have a TON of potential here.

This isn't a project that I think I can stroll into Best Buy and buy a bunch of routers and call up AirBand to bump up the bandwidth and have a mess on my hands if it doesn't work. I am willing to front significant costs to hire experts and buy equipment, I just don't want to be several thousand dollars into this project and realize I am hosed and this is never going to make financial sense, even years down the road.

Two of everything redundancy makes sense in a business but this is an condo building, besides a dozen possibly pissed off people no long term ill-effects.

Now that seems way excessive. This isn't a business, it's people's home internet. if one 100 MB connection goes down for a few hours it wouldn't be the end of the word. To reiterate, the current service can barely handle YouTube, worst case I could fall back on a T1 or business class DSL, no need to fall back to a 100MB connection. Airband says they offer up to 1GB fixed wireless connections.

No one? Again, we aren't talking large scale ISP here, just less then 100 users. In a condo building, 99% of them are in bed at 11PM. If they want reliability and someone to bitch at call AT&T, if you want a incredibly fast connection and can accept that a few times a year at 1AM it's going to drop down to 200Kbps until the next business day, call me. I expect most of my neighbors would call me.

I'm find with slumlord, as long as the 95% of time I am providing service it blows anything else they can get out of the water. Several dozen people are currently dealing with a slumlord ISP except they can barely even play YouTube and they are still writing check every month and have been for years.

Honestly, that is my question. I have a very good grasp of ideas of economies of scale in theory and practice, I just admittedly don't understand them on a micro-scale of broadband.

As far as I am concerned, SBC is getting one hell of a deal servicing our building with it's almost perfectly ideal infrastructure requirements when it is offering the same prices to single family houses just a few blocks away and must deal with the burden of much higher cost related to billing, collections, infrastructure repair then a the requirements of a building such as mine. And again, I am not looking to make a profit, breaking even would be fine with me given personal and resale benefits of owning an apartment with one of the fastest/cheapest broadband offered in the city.

I ain't reading all that. Just tell me why you hate poor 3O.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

PinkSox posted:

he mocks fat people in the grocery store by taking their picture lol, I guess that's why I like him on second thought

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

PinkSox posted:

He wanted to 'own' the internet infrastructure in his building, charge people for lovely service, and then evict people for not paying for said lovely service.

• Locked thread