Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Let's post photos from our digital cameras!

What is digital photography?

quote:

Digital photography is a form of photography that uses cameras containing arrays of electronic photodetectors to capture images focused by a lens, as opposed to an exposure on photographic film. The captured images are digitized and stored as a computer file ready for further digital processing, viewing, digital publishing or printing.

Until the advent of such technology, photographs were made by exposing light sensitive photographic film and paper, which were processed in liquid chemical solutions to develop and stabilize the image. Digital photographs are typically created solely by and computer-based photoelectric and mechanical techniques, without wet bath chemical processing.

Digital photography is one of several forms of digital imaging. Digital images are also created by non-photographic equipment such as computer tomography scanners and radio telescopes. Digital images can also be made by scanning other printed photographic images or negatives.

The first consumer digital cameras were marketed in the late 1990s. Professionals gravitated to digital slowly, and were won over when their professional work required using digital files to fulfill the demands of employers and/or clients, for faster turn-around than conventional methods would allow.[citation needed] Starting around 2007, digital cameras were incorporated in cellphones and in the following years cellphone cameras became widespread, particularly due to their connectivity to social media websites and email. Since 2010, the digital point-and-shoot and DSLR formats have also seen competition from the mirrorless digital camera format, which typically provides better image quality than the point-and-shoot or cellphone formats but comes in a smaller size and shape than the typical DSLR. Many mirrorless cameras accept interchangeable lenses and have advanced features through an electronic viewfinder, which replaces the through-the-lens finder image of the SLR format.

Digital cameras can be used to create a variety of images, spanning many genres. Some examples include:

Wildlife

Landscape

Street

Cultural Commentary

With so many possibilities, it is easy to see why the digital camera is so popular these days. Post your favorite shots you've taken with digital cameras!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

*** Placeholder for More Information ***

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Great idea for a thread! I sometimes think about cool angles I can use when I take digital photographs with my electric camera

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

how many megapixls is your camera

i heard you'll need 8 before its as good as film

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

it's hard to be the color rendition of a foveon sensor.

SDIM0113.jpg by Douglas T., on Flickr

SDIM0107.jpg by Douglas T., on Flickr

SDIM0111.jpg by Douglas T., on Flickr

SDIM0106.jpg by Douglas T., on Flickr

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
I, too, enjoy converting photons into electrons.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

This is where it all begins...

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
What to heck

I really gotta get in on this, no way anyone will be using film in a few months

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

#sooc

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

That stuck pixel :allears:

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

✨ Is actually a star ✨

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

have you guys heard of these vsco things? it's supposed to make your digital photographs look like film!

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
when i was younger my uncle introduced me to digital manipulation but his technique was heavy-handed and there was just too much noise so people complained and asked him to stop

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

bobmarleysghost posted:

✨ Is actually a star ✨
Beautiful

feigning interest posted:

when i was younger my uncle introduced me to digital manipulation but his technique was heavy-handed and there was just too much noise so people complained and asked him to stop
Suggest he tries the splitter grip

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I thought this said "diglett photography" and thought the dorkroom was hopping on that crazy pokeman go train.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

Choicecut fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jul 11, 2016

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

wtf is that poo poo

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Can I post my photos here if they're analog? I took them with electronic cameras

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

Mr. Despair posted:

wtf is that poo poo

Digital art.

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

atomicthumbs posted:

Can I post my photos here if they're analog? I took them with electronic cameras

sure, if you want to be responsible for tainting a pure process

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

They even make scanners now to digitize your old film.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

film is a digital as it gets
DSC_0674.jpg by Douglas T., on Flickr

look at all those 1s and 0's that get turned on and off to make a picture

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

I've been digitizing my slides too...

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

alkanphel posted:

I've been digitizing my slides too...

Dude.. I was with my family getting frozen yogurt the other day, and these stacked cups made me think of you. :love::love::love::love::love:

Cups by Eli J, on Flickr

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
some good anal logs itt but they cannot compare to the austerity of a purely digital image imo :feelsgood:

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I'll have to give this digital photography a try, it looks rad as gently caress.

Any recommendations for a camera? I like these Sony Mavicas, but they look too expensive.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Doctor Bombadil posted:

I'll have to give this digital photography a try, it looks rad as gently caress.

Any recommendations for a camera? I like these Sony Mavicas, but they look too expensive.

Honestly it's better to just buy a leica since if you don't own one your digital photos won't be better than film.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

VelociBacon posted:

Honestly it's better to just buy a leica since if you don't own one your digital photos won't be better than film.

But will it be better than film Leica?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Doctor Bombadil posted:

But will it be better than film Leica?

Yes because it's way more expensive.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

tdigital phogagraphy mutherfucksrs!!!

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

Merry Xmas - Happy New Year by Eli J, on Flickr

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Did you develop that in piss? it looks awful

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

ansel autisms posted:

Did you develop that in piss? it looks awful

No.

I PAID to have it developed in piss. So, HA!

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Choicecut posted:

No.

I PAID to have it developed in piss. So, HA!

taken with the shitcam

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Mr. Despair posted:

taken with the shitcam

the poo poo cam has been on my shelf for at least a year

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!