Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
The night is dark and still. It has been a week since you left the last island chasing news of the Overlord. You had thought the journey would take at most four days but the winds have been either silent or against you making this a very frustrating journey. Still you are in the company of friends and despite the monotony of keeping the ship afloat there is time for you to break bread, play at cards and drink to each other’s health.

Following the downfall of the Pirate King, the Empress’s offensive had brought nearly half the world under her tyranny, yet for now her plan seems to have stalled. The reprieve has taken some of the urgency from your mission, but the grim reality that she will not settle for less than world domination helps your resolve from growing too lax.

For now some of the fellowship sleep, while others keep the night watches.

Whoever sits in crows nest looks beneath and beholds a great eye set upon the ship.

Welcome to our Fellowship game. Please post where you are on the ship and how you are occupying yourself. One player may choose to be in the crows nest and alert the others of the baleful eye that seems to have fixed itself upon your ship.

Anyone may also answer the following:
What was the previous island you visited?
What clue did you receive about the Overlord’s plans?
Where are you heading now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Reserved for Overlord states, scene qualities, crew manifest etc.

???

Apocron fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Aug 4, 2016

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Serena

Serena is dozing on the deck of the ship, where Percy kindly installed a saltwater bathing pool. It's a little shallow, but the warm water gently swashing reminds her of her home lagoon.

Where are you heading now?

We are heading to the great Island of Giants where everything is huge!

Mr. Prokosch fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jul 13, 2016

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Serak N'org
"Now, where is that wrench....ah there it is." Serak grabs the wrench and tightens a nut on the device he had been working on for the last 30 minutes. "That should do it." Serak flips a switch, and the room fills with a loud humming noise. The bilge pump works.

Ever since they had visited Junker's Island a few weeks ago and picked up some spare parts, Serak has been busy upgrading the ship. For now however, his work was done. "I think its time to eat dinner." Serak dusts himself off, and starts heading up.

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jul 12, 2016

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!
Rake

Rake wakes up to the sudden humming of the room next door. All this talk about giants was making Rake a little more on-edge than normal. "Hey, Lotsarms! That's your stuff, right?"

Given that the group is trying to beat the Empress to the Island of Giants, trying to stop her from assembling an artifact that would make her able to destroy whole islands. Well, that's what they said it could do when the group was at Junker's Island.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Percy Vult

In his tastefully luxurious Captain's Quarters, Percy Vult rolls over sleepily. Something is bothering him. It isn't his bed, which is as massively large as can be practicably fit between a pair of bulkheads, and it isn't his pillow, which is of the finest goose-down, and it isn't his sheets, which were hand-stitched by tiny fairy artisans in order to produce an unimaginably high thread-count. No, it's someone yelling something. Something about... a monster?

He sits up, bangs his head on a crossbeam -- even the largest cabin on the ship isn't as large as a large room -- and rolls, groaning, out of bet. he stomps out the door, stops, stomps back in the door, grabs his hat, rams it on his head, and stomps back out the door.

"What?! What do you want?"

Something hits him on the head; something dropped from a very great height. He glares up at his sister, Shelly, who, he vaguely recalls, wanted to sleep in the highest point on the ship "So I can look down on you."

"What are you yelling about?" he yells up.

"Giant monster!" She shouts down at him. "You butthead!" And she points.

Oh. Okay. Giant eyeball. That's new. "Uh... battle stations?"

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Piraro of the Turtle School

Down in my room below decks, my staff is propped up against the wall and is emitting a soft light for me to write some brief notes on the Junker's Island we stopped at a few days ago. I'd never seen so much scrap before in my life, and I wanted to make sure I got down a good impression before I lost the clear picture I currently held in my head. I'm just about to describe the scents of the bazaar when I hear a confused cry for battle stations. I look down at my notes, tempted to finish the paragraph, but... I'm pretty sure that's not how a call for battlestations works. Even if it's as confused as Percy's just was.

I grab my staff and satchel before I hurry onto the deck. Looking around, I can't see a ship. I'm about to be annoyed at the false alarm when I see everyone looking over the side of the ship, so I take a peek myself. ...Oh dear, that's a large eye. Even larger than the eye of the Squid Academy! But, if it's underwater, it can probably speak Aquan. It'd be awfully lonely if it couldn't! I say to the others, "Oh, just give me a second. I'll see what it wants." Then, I lean over the side of the boat and start stirring up the water with my magic, making the water burble in perfectly clear Aquan.

"Hey down there! How are you doing?"

Speak Softly
!roll 2d6+1
@Piraro you rolled 6, 3+1 for a total of 10.

What were they doing, and what are they going to do next?
What do they want, and how can we help them get it?
What would they have us do next?

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
The Kraken

As the alarm is sounded the gargantuan beast slides great tentacles around the ship. The gentle sensation of the deck rocking is replaced by the feeling of being held firmly. In fact the deck itself begins to groan as those tentacles begin to squeeze the ship. To port and starboard other sets of tentacles rise up and seem to prepare to smash down onto the deck. At that moment Piraro comes up and unhurriedly dips his staff into the water and casts his spell. The tentacles stop undulating threateningly as the creature seems to pause. Slowly its head emerges from the briny deep and its great eye examines those of you who are on deck.

When it speaks the sound is like the clashing of waves and the screaming of whales.

*I was hunting for prey and am planning to consume you. I want to feast on flesh and satiate my hunger. I would have you yield three of your number to pacify myself and then I may let you pass.*

The Kraken seems confused by its prey engaging it in conversation.

-----

Anyone who can understand Aquan can understand the beast's conversation with Piraro which I assume means Serena. If someone else wishes to argue they can understand it then I'll allow it.

Anyone can answer a question:

Why is the Kraken so bloodthirsty?
What distinguishing feature does it have?
Where did the Kraken come from?

Details of the Kraken are available below and in the second post.

Binding Tentacles: These tentacles hold the boat in place, slowly
crushing it and making escape impossible. When nobody does anything
about the binding tentacles for a little while, they damage the ship.

Grasping Tentacles: These tentacles slide along the deck of the ship,
searching for crew to take to the briny depths below. The Overlord can make a
Hard Cut at any time to capture someone in these tentacles, but can only
capture one person at a time. Anyone who remains captured long enough will
go Overboard.

Smashing Tentacles: Other tentacles slam down on the ship, crushing
crew members, cargo, and cannons. When the tentacles smash down, anyone
in their way is damaged. If no one is in their way, the ship is damaged.

Right In The Eye: This stat can only be damaged by taking out the
Kraken’s eyeball. The eye moves around constantly and cannot easily be hit
with Ranged weaponry - someone may need to climb atop the Kraken to hit it.

The Briny Depths: When the Kraken is damaged during this phase, it
submerges itself immediately. Anyone on top of it when it dives under water
will be sent Overboard if they can’t hold on or escape before it dives. It will
return to the surface on a different side of the ship shortly.

Apocron fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jul 13, 2016

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Serena

"Oh my!" Serena finally stirs awake with all the hubbub. "Is that you Krakie?" she says in fluent Aquan, "What are you doing trying to eat us? I thought you promised to only eat those filthy surface rats..." She looks around, it dawning on her that she's on a surfacer ship.

She grimaces and calls to Percy in accented Human: "He wants to eat three crew! Is there anyone you're not attached to? It's really quite a generous offer.... Maybe..." she looks around the ship, her finger outstretched but refusing to settle. Maybe JoJo? But he made such delicious ceviche. And Sandy was so kind about brushing her scales free of grime. Lota? But he always made those silly love poems that made her laugh. "Oh dear. I'm rather attached to all of them."

"Krakie? I like this ship. Could you pretty please settle for some salt beef and a song?"

Talk Sense with Wisdom
@Serena you rolled 3, 2+2 for a total of 7.

Why is the Kraken so bloodthirsty?

He agreed long ago to only eat surface dwellers if the Sirens would sing him a song every month. They're a lot of work to kill for such a small bit of meat, you have to sink a whole ship and get stabbed by desperate crewmen and it's not like you get a whale at the end. So he's always hungry. Besides, everyone knows that manmeat is delicious.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Serak N'org
Serak replies to Rake, "Ah, hello Rake. Yes, I just finished installing a bilge pump. We won't have to worry as much about bailing the boat out, and you won't wake up with a partially flooded room anymore." The alarm suddenly goes off. "That wasn't me." He reaches behind his back, and grabs his mace, useful for both repairs and combat. "Let's go."

When he reaches the deck, he notices a giant kraken. Serak has observed them in the past from the safety of Tharamik's underwater observatories. Most of them don't have a ship figurehead embedded in their skull though. Strangely, it seems Serena and Piraro are talking to the great beast. Not understanding what they are saying, Serak decides to wait and see what happens.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
The Kraken

The Kraken moves closer to the ship and its massive pupil contracts as it focuses on Serena. The bulk of its body presses up against the ship bumping it suddenly. Percy's younger sister Shelly who had been gob smackwed by the great beast loses her perch in the crows nest and with a surprised squeak half falls and half jumps overboard.

The Kraken pays no heed to the little one who tumbled overboard and continues focusing on Serena. One of its tentacles reaches down and scoops her up bringing her in for even closer examination.

"Serena??? A member of the merfolk on a ship? I will happily spare you but if I pass by a ship just because a Siren is aboard then soon everyone will be trying to hire merfolk to keep themselves safe. Still I cannot in good conscience devour you. If you tell the crew to throw all their food over board as a sacrifice to the mighty god Kraken and you play me a song while I wait I might be willing to let you continue on your journey. But I want you to do a little play for my amusement. I've heard all the old songs before and I'm tired of hearing "OH MIGHTY LORD KRAKEN DO NOT DEVOUR OUR IMPOVERISHED SOULS." Also, make sure none of the crew goes around telling people about my generosity.

-----

Shelly falls overboard. She doesn't seem like a very strong swimmer and the sea is stirred up by the constant writhing of the Kraken's tentacles.
Serena is now held in a grasping tentacle. But the Kraken seems to be holding her gently.
The Kraken's eye is now vulnerable and anyone can choose to attack it with advantage.

If you wish to deal with the Kraken everyone will have to pay the price of sacrificing food and drinks from their gear and you will have to perform a show. One person propose a two person show. A couple of people will perform and a couple of people will provide the musical accompaniment/narration/chorus. Remember for the two couples that if you have a bond one person rolls for the both of you with hope which means that you roll 3d6+grace and choose the best two results. 7-9 will mean the Kraken is satisfied. 10+ will mean the Kraken is entertained and offers you a boon.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Percy Vult

I blink at Serena in consternation. "What? Three crew?" I shake my head. "I'm not sacrificing anyone!"

Maybe Shelly? A little voice in the back of my head suggests. But no: Father made me specifically promise not to sacrifice her to any eldritch abominations or leave her behind or let her drink beer. I'd never hear the end of it.

And, of course, that's when the monster knocks her into the sea. So now I feel guilty. I don't like feeling guilty, so I decide to do some thrilling heroics to compensate.

I grab the gilded and befeathered Hat of Command and slap it on Serak's head as the spider-man comes up from below. "N'org! You're in temporary command until I get back or die heroically, in which case my last order is to conduct a lavish funeral. I've got to save my stupid sister, and i don't want to lose my hat. Try not to let anyone get eaten."

First i kick a barrel overboard into the ocean. Then I sprint for the railing, vault off of it, grab a line, and cut it with my golden sword. I end up flying into empty air on the end of a tether, describing a glorious arc. It's totally sweet looking, and I hope everyone is watching.

"Sheeeeelllllllly! Yooou arrrre thhhhhheeeeee woooooooooooooorrrrrrssssssst!"

I land in the turbulent, kraken-riddled sea next to the barrel, which I straddle. Shelly is bobbing helplessly -- as a Vult, she is naturally bouyant -- and i grab her arm and haul her up over the barrel ,then tie her to it with a couple of crude knots. "Just the absolute worst," I repeat, hugging the barrel and treading water.

Overcome

@Percy Vult you rolled 4, 3+2 for a total of 9.
Percy temporarily delays his sister's imminent demise.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Rake

"AAaaaaaargh!" I shout and I growl as the alarm goes, running upstairs to see a giant eyeball attached to various long sticky-looking arms. One of them is holding Serena, which is probably bad. Shelly is in the water, which is also bad. Guess that means this is probably a bad thing. I'm gonna need to get my gun ready.

Well, unless I'm not supposed to. "Serena! Are you okay?!" I want to figure this out, and I know better than to shoot if they're talking, especially with the troubles going on.

Look Closely
@Rake you rolled 6, 2+2 for a total of 10.
What is going on here? What do my senses tell me?
Tell me about The Kraken . What are they doing? What will they do next?
Tell me about The Kraken . How could it hurt me? How could it help me?

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Percy

You sail gracefull through the air managing to execute a few magnificent tumbles before entering the water in perfect diving form. Those swashbuckling gymnastics you were working on in the privacy of your cabin were really paying off. As you surface you manage to locate Shelley and the Barrel and set about your plan of strapping her to it.

You are glad for its extra buoyancy as you leash Shelly to (relative) safety. While the boat itself hangs steady in the midst of the Kraken's tentacles the sea beneath it churns relentlessly. You are buffeted left and right. One tentacle rises up from beneath you and narrowly misses smashing the barrel you are holding onto. Shelly coughs and splutters as the sea churns and throws salt water in both of your faces.

"Brother! Don't bind me! You will regre-"

Another surprise wave sends salt water down her gullet and she is left retching it back into the barrel.

-----

You and Shelly are safe for a little while but you could use some help getting back up onto the ship or a cunning plan on how to make your way back up. Otherwise you will be washed away.

-----

Rake

Despite the chaos your cool head allows you to survey the situation dispassionately. Obviously Serena doesn't seem bothered at all by the monster holding her. In fact despite the noise caused by the tentacles chopping the water beneath the boat you feel that you can hear Serena talking in what must be the native dialect of her people.

The Kraken itself holds the ship but despite having countless tentacles most of them undulate useless around the ship. You're sure that if it wanted to, it could easily crush the ship, smash the wreck to pieces and gather the whole crew for its dinner. But instead it seems to be uncertain, not moving to destroy your vessel, but neither is it letting you go.

The Kraken could catch you, it could smash you, it could sink you, it could eat you. You suppose that if you were on its good side it could help you travel. It could help you overcome some other great monster. It could probably tell you an interesting story.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Serena

I translate the Kraken's demand.

"I think it's a fine idea, Krakie only lives in the water, so do you know anything not done on the coast? If not we can improvise." I turn to Percy to find him diving off the ship! I guess he wanted to take a swim. Strange time for it.

'Piraro I'm sure those dusty books must have something worthwhile in a few of them. Maybe you know an old performance Krakie has never heard? You can be the narrator and translate what's going on! Just try to make sense of what the actors are doing. Rake, I'm supremely confident that you can do anything you set your mind to! We'll sing a duet in our two native languages. Don't worry about what you're singing, just get the tone right. Krackie will only understand my end. Serak, you will improvise with Percy! Oh. Wait."

She goes back to Aquan, "Our Lead went for a swim, could you please scoop him up and bring him here and we'll get started with the performance?"

Mr. Prokosch fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jul 14, 2016

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Serak N'org
The Kraken wants a performance? Maybe Serak can finally find someone who can truly appreciate the great Operas of the Arachni. It seems most surface dwellers, can't comprehend the subtle beauty of his people's ballads. Granted, he isn't the best tenor singer in the world, but there is always so much cringing, and then they always find an excuse to leave. This is the perfect opportunity to have the crew give it another chance.

However at the moment, It looks like Percy and his rambunctious younger sibling are in danger. Serak quickly rushes to the side of the boat, and starts spinning a spider web. When he thinks its long enough, he attaches it to the rail, and throws it down. "Here use this to climb up, then we can start the performance." Serak can hardly conceal his excitement when he says this.

Serak - Today at 8:33 PM
!roll 2d6+1
RoboNitoriBOT - Today at 8:33 PM
@Serak you rolled 6, 2+1 for a total of 9

Upgrading it to a 10+ at the price of damaging the boat

I also switched out Dig Deep with Spinning Spider from the Drider playbook with Apocron's permission

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Percy Vult

Ahaha! Vice Captain Serak throws me a rope, thus proving my wisdom and aplomb in leadership selection. The rope is... slightly sticky. Slightly a lot sticky. It's really rather gross. Oh, he threw me a web, didn't he?

Well, wyou know what they say: when life throws you lemons, make sure to wrap those lemons tightly around your sister's mouth.

After making sure that Shelly is very, very secure i command the crew to haul us up the side of the ship with much exciting leaping back and forth to dodge tentacles, and only minor hull damage.

"Now: what's this about a play?"

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Serena

'Oh goody!" I exclaim, "Percy got back up on his own! Ok, everybody! Time for a show, let's make this work!"

I sing an intro to buy the others time. I think it went pretty well...

Serena doesn't think that much about her song. It's nice and pretty to her, but it's also natural and she's heard it plenty of times. To everyone else:

The Siren's song is something men die for, literally. In the moment when her voice raises up, it seems to be joined by a chorus of angels. The listener's heartbeats slow and quicken to match the tempo. Their minds empty and thoughts follow nothing but the melody. The whole world seems to lie entranced. The sea's crashing waves no longer make a sound. The sky seems to lower and lean in to catch the music. The sun seems to dim to give her the proper lighting. It is not a thing that mortal ears should hear, but you all hear it now, on this ship, and a piece of you breaks forever from the experience. It is a drug beyond all drugs, a terrible perfection that makes everything before and everything after seem a dull, ashen waste.

@Serena you rolled 6, 3+2 for a total of 11.

The Kracken and every member of the crew immediately forms a bond with me in regards to how spectacular that song was!

Since I have an attentive audience and it's my super powerful character thing, I'll take the chance to sing and then we can do the play montage.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

I have to cover my ears to focus so I can plan out enough of a story to jump off of.

Thankfully, I'm able to use my books with my magic, handlessly through page after page, looking for tidbits of stories to cobble together. I quietly mutter, "Oh, dear oh dear. A story, a story..." My mind races as I place bits of stories together. It's much harder than it sounds, too! It's has to be entertaining, but since we're improvising, it also has to be cliche enough that everyone can guess what's going to happen next.

I finally decide on The Lonely Pirate as the star of the show. It gives Percy something to ham up with and also shouldn't be too much of a stretch for him.

As the last notes of Serena's song fade away, I say in my loud, Lecture voice, "Once upon a time, there was a noble pirate. He was dashing and brave, but for the longest time, he sailed his ship by his lonesome."

I push Percy forward as the Lonely Pirate and say, "And all he wanted in the whole world was... a friend. But little did he know that his life was about to be turned upside down. One day, he came across a siren in need of help." I look at him and nod towards Serena, hoping he'll just ad-lib the dialogue.

Alas, Piraro is too much of a stick in the mud to make another bond with Serena.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Percy Vult

Ahahaha-heh-heh. Oh man. We're really doing a show for a kraken?

I peer around nervously as Piraro speaks. I know; who would have thought I'd ever have stage fright? But the thing of it is, I'm usually so busy being awesome that I've never learned how to pretend to be anything else. So this whole "Lonely Pirate" thing is coming out of left field. I mean, what's my motivation? I've never been lonely; everyone loves me!

Then Piraro elbows me in the back and I step out onto center stage. "Um. Right!" I strike a pose. "I am the Lonely Pirate! Abandoned at sea as an infant, and washed ashore on a desert isle, I was raised by... crabs... and taught myself to sail and fish. But on my eighteenth birthday the crabs told me the truth about my birth, and so I built my own ship out of driftwood and bird's nests," I furiously mime building a ship, "and set sail on the open seas to find my own kind."

"I sailed and sailed until one morning I spied upon a maid who lived all alone, who lived all alone on the shore-o. She was the first woman I had ever seen, and the most beautiful woman I had ever seen," I gestured vaguely in Serena''s direction. "And I knew I would die if I could not have her."

The Maid was out at sea in a tiny ship, just beyond sight of her craggy shore, and the ship had sprung a leak. I called to her, 'Fair Maiden! Won't you join me on my ship, and we shall sail together?'"

And then I elbowed Serena in the ribs in case she didn't get her cue.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Serena

"I'm so sorry handsome pirate!" I call, bringing my hands to my heart dramatically and fluttering my eyelashes, "but I am bound to the Sea and cannot follow on your ship! I would so love to spend my days... and nights... with you, but alas... We are of different worlds!" I shake my head mournfully and let out a great sob, "You must continue your journey! Perhaps you may find a friend far to the east, in the land of the Arachni?"

Hey Percy make sure to note that my rocking music makes you even more in love with me!

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Serak N'org
Its Serak's time to shine. Stepping foward, Serak starts singing an Arachni Aria of mourning. To him, it is a beautiful song about a great loss, but for the rest of the crew it is a probably a sequence of horrible hissing noises. The song lasts for several minutes. When it finishes, Serak feigns surprise at seeing Percy there.

"Hello, Traveler. if you came here looking for shelter, I regret to inform you that you will find none here." With a grim expression, Serak looks at Percy. "Our great council has just decreed that no outsiders shall enter the city.....I came outside to say farewell to the world." Serak sighs, "However, I have heard rumor of a tribe to the east that may greet you with open arms." WIth that, he turns and walks away.

!roll 2d6+2
RoboNitoriBOT - Today at 8:49 PM
@Serak you rolled 4, 4+2 for a total of 10.
While the crew may or may not be entertained, the Kraken is

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Rake

Good thing I didn't shoot. That would be weird to try to explain. I jump down from where I had perched myself, looking awkwardly at the others as I slide my cannon back to my back. I open my arms for a moment, then break into the only kind of song I know: A battle stomp! Sure, we did these for not-so-battle reasons as well, but those times aren't so common. "My tribe, we accept all who can keep up with us! Our arms are open but our feet are swift!" I'm pretty sure I'm shouting way too loud, but I want the giant beast to hear me. I drop a few more jumping stomps into the deck, followed by a very intriguing signal chirp. At least I think it's intriguing, I'm not just doing it simple like for a signal.

I wave my hands towards Percy, inviting him to join in as well.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Percy Vult

This is no longer a play as I understand the term, but a quick glance up at the kraken shows that the big dumb monster is eating it up. That checks out; not a lot of entertainment value in flolloping around the ocean depths. To the kraken, there's probably no such thing as a bad show. It just appreciates the noise and motion. That cheers me up; I can do loud and fast as well as anyone.

As Rake starts to leap around the deck, I join him. This lizard-people dancing is actually pretty fun! After stomping around for a bit ,I motion for the rest of the crew to join in in whatever capacity their terror or sobriety levels allow for, then I tip Shelly's barrel upright and leap atop it.

I plant my hands on my hips and start to do a quick heel-toe. "Back on Vult Island, we call this clogging," I tell Rake. And with lots of noise and a snazzy dance routine, we bring this show to a close.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
The Kraken

As soon as the final steps of the dance cease and the last word of dialogue or song are spoken there is a long pause. Despite the revelry of moments before there is a tension in the air so thick it could be cut with a knife. However that tension is burst by the deafening clash of the Kraken bringing two of it's massive tentacles together. Some of you cover your ears, others fall onto the deck from the visceral vibrations that pulse through the air, the ship shakes as the tentacles holding it also wobble in time to their terrible rhythm.

After ten or twenty seconds of this assault the clapping stops and you can hear a mixture of roaring waves and bubbles.

"SPLENDID! SPLENDID! BRAVO! MY OH MY!"

You could almost describe the things voice as breathless.

"Wunderbar! I must say I did not expect an improvised show of this magnificence. Why I haven't seen such an array of talent for years. Serena, did you choose to travel in a troop of performers. Surely that is the only plausible expectation."

The rushing and crashing waves of its voice quieten down and the monster lowers your ship back into the water.

"I am very happy I ran into the lot of you. And watching all that has left me good and hungry. Do fetch me everything you have to eat. Come on then, chop chop!"

The Kraken is still expecting you to sacrifice all your food to him. However your two successes have won you two boons. You may use one of those to ask it to spare your supplies or not. Either way you need to decide if you are satiating it's desires and letting it go keeping both of the boons. Using both boons now. Or using a boon now and keeping one until later.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

The play went off the rails a while ago, but the Kraken is happy!

And two boons are definitely worth a little food, so I say to the others, "I'm sure we can pick some more up when we get to the island, yes?"

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Serak N'org
Serak nods sadly, he was looking forward to dinner, "If you guys want to, but I hope they have better food than the last island we picked up food supplies from. They acted as though I was crazy when I asked where I could buy giant centipede meat from."

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Rake

"Clogging? Like what Serak says happens when mysterious black liquid that I don't know anything about gets in the bilge pump?" I say completely hiding my secret. As they talk about the food situation, I grumble. "Well, what are we going to eat? We're still a while away from where we're going. We're going to need food to survive!"

I grumble again. "But, if everyone else is for it, then I guess we can do it."

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Percy Vult

"My caviar!" I shout, gripping my hat impotently as the kraken dips a tentacle into our hold and takes a taste of our stores. "My fancy little dough cups! With the little minced shrimp and cheese inside! I ordered those special all the way from Vult island!"

"Phyllo," Shandra the genie says, with a distinct lack of pity. Djinn don't need to eat unless they really want to. "And since I'm the one who has to mince and stuff them, I say good riddance to them."

I slam my hat onto my head. "Oh, all right. Our food, in exchange for safe passage to our next destination." I point at Rake. "And don't think I didn't catch that. The cost for the replacement pumps is coming out of your salary."

"Not that you pay him anything..." Shandra mutters.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Serena

"Ah well, I hope you enjoy my Reef Fish!"I don't actually go to get it, but with a magnanimous wave I allow the crew to take my food and throw it overboard. "Oh please don't whine Percy, it makes me hunger for manflesh already. We'll be there soon enough and you can hunt a giant centipede for me and Serak."

I translate Percy's request to the Kracken, "Since we gave you all our food, do you mind taking us to our destination so we can go get some more? Nobody likes being hungry..."

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
The Kraken Express

The Kraken noisily consumes your supplies. Unfortunately for Percy it seems to pay little heed for delicacies and scoops hard tack, oranges, and caviar alike with joyous abandon shoveling them into some concealed maw beneath the waves.

"It would be my pleasure Serena! Never before have I enjoyed such a show and dinner. In fact I would say that the next time I encounter a ship perhaps I will see if the people on board will perform for me as you did. Perhaps my life will be even more enjoyable if I went from show to show enjoying the buffet rather than bringing terror and destruction! Now where did you say your destination is? Giant's island. Well lucky you ran into me. I know exactly where it is. You shall be there before sun up!"

The monster wraps its tentacles firmly around the ship. From over the side you can see it twist more tentacles into a kind of propeller.

"Ok folks! You may want to reef the sails and hold on to your tricornes!"

The ship lurches as it accelerates to a speed far beyond that which any wind could blow you. The wind whistles through any gap available and those who remain on deck have to make a concerted effort not to be blown overboard.

However those who do stay on deck are treated to amazing sights. Foul weather naturally follows the Kraken and a great roiling mass of storm clouds chases your ship giving off thunderous claps and flashes of lightning. The huge monster itself also acts as something of a parental figure in the sea and a pod of noble sperm whales leaps from the sea, synchonising their movements in an effort to impress the Kraken giving off a huge splash and wave that misses your ship as it rockets past. Finally as you can begin to make out an island with towering mountains drawing close the sun itself rises. Whatever oils the Kraken's skin gives off cause it to burst into a rainbow of colours that is a stark contrast to the dull green it had appeared beneath the waves in the middle of the night.

Finally it stops not far from the shore of the island and surfaces facing your party once more.

"I should really be going unless you want a storm battering your ship next. I wish you the best of luck on whatever your plans are for this island. Wherever you may be in the world you may contact me through the whale network. Their cries travel from pod to pod and they will convey that you wish to meet me. Just keep your message simple. The whales are childish and liable to be overexcitment. They constantly prattle at me and I entertain them but it can be draining. With that, I bid you adieu!"

The Kraken sinks beneath the waves again and judging from how the storm cloud behind you shifts course away from you it is moving away from Giant Island.

A player may answer a single question and propose a course of action.
What is uhhhh, giant's island famous for? I mean besides the obvious...
What do you see nearby on shore that might be worth investigating?
What is it you catch glimpses of in the distance that might require a bit sailing to reach?
What scares people about giant's island?
What are the giant's actually like?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Percy Vult

At my command, Bosun Giffords puts the longboat into the water and rows us ashore on the Island of Giants. I step out onto the sand and plant the Vult Flag on the soil, claiming the beachhead in the name of the Vult Mercantile Expeditionary Force. The flag proudly shows my family's crest; a golden V on azure, flanked aslant by a sword, representing our Honor, and a Lamp, representing our Wisdom and the Genies that are the source of our wealth. I strike a noble pose as Shandra, behind me, dutifully takes out a tiny whistle and plays a few bars of thematically appropriate music.

"Welp! That's done, then," I say, dusting my hands off. You have to attend to these little details when you're the crown prince.

"As much as the beautiful Serena wants some giant centipede meat," I say, "I think we should seek out the High Chief of the giants first, and make contact. That's the proper protocol for entering foreign territory, and besides, he probably has some Giant delicacies to replenish our stores, which he will be happy to give us as noble guests and etcetera." I glance around the little harbor we're nestled in, trying to spot any of the famed Giant Ironbark Canoes. The giants are a simple folk, but they're a famed nautical power because even the crudest dugout canoe carved by a Giant carpenter possesses a hull tougher than one of the pirate queen's warships. If we could reskin our ship's hull with some giantish stock we'd be proof against barnacle, reef, or small arms fire.

"Does anyone know where they live?"

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Serak N'org
While Percy is doing his little ceremony, Serak just stares in wonder at the sight before him. "Aren't you glad you joined me Mastorok? You'd never get to see something like this at home." Serak's longtime friend steps out the longboat. "Yes, I imagine if I were still in Tharamik, I'd be stuck doing yet another pointless war game right about now." He joins Serak in appreciating the view. Serak replies, "I still can't believe we are actually at Giant Island. My mother used to read bedtime stories about this place." His stomach suddenly growls. While he would like to just continue to take in the beautiful view, he needs to get something to eat. "Ok, let's look around." Mastorok nods.

Scanning the shoreline, Serak spots something. He responds to Percy's question, "I don't know, but I think she might." He points to a large figure sprawled out on the beach in the distance. Its a giant and she appears to be sleeping. Next to her is a giant gourd. Its half full of some fluid. Serak guesses its alcohol. He thinks he can smell it faintly on the wind, even this far away. She also has the mostly eaten leg of some colossal creature clutched in her hand. There doesn't appear to be any other giants nearby.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Serena

I dive into the refreshing sea water and do a few leaps and twirls before calling my giant grab and allowing it to carry me ashore while I lounge. I don't like the look of that bird. At first I thought it was close, but that's a trick of the eye. It's far away and just very, very, very large. Is this the roosting place of the Great Roc?

Oh well. I'm sure nothing bad will come of it. I command my crab to scurry over to the sleeping giant.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Rake

I don't know why Percy is always talking about these wages. He takes them away from me, but I don't remember him actually giving me anything to take away?

Once we're on the island of the giants, I feel like I should warn the others. "Um, we haven't seen any of those.. living rocks, have we? I mean, I assume they look like rocks, so I see -rocks-. But I heard that Giant Island had rocks that move or jump or something. Don't worry, I can fight a rock, but.. You know, just in case you didn't hear about the rock people. They're people who look like rocks."

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
The "Sleeping" Giant

As you draw closer to the giant it becomes clear that she is not sleeping. In fact the beach surrounding her is marked with great gouges where she has swung her blade. Before her you see a man engrossed with the figure of a striking woman. The image flickers and it's hard to make out her exact features but he kneels before her, tears streaming from his eyes.

"I could not help myself my lady. She would not yield. I had to strike her down! I had to! Please forgive me!"

The image speaks in a voice that only he can hear but you can see the figure place a hand on his brow in what must be a comforting gesture.

"But I swore, I swore that I would never end a lady's life. Not after you..."

You see the ethereal figure raise a hand and point to the giant's chest and that it still rises and falls shallowly. The man cries out in joy.

"Thank the heavens! She yet lives! Mayhaps the giant is just strong enough to withstand me."

Now he sobs in joy. The figure he was engaged with however looks up and finally notices you. In an instant it blinks out of existence. However the man has now fallen to his knees, his whole body heaving with relief. He is totally unaware of your presence.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Serena

I peer curiously at the man and the giant, "Ummm... Hello? My name is Serena and we're sailors and we just came ashore. Did you stab that giant woman? You must be good at stabbing." I nod to myself, proud at my civility. You don't have to kill strangers as soon as you meet them. Not here!

@Serena you rolled 3, 1+2 for a total of 6.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Percy Vult

"Ummm..." Okay. This is awkward. We came here to enlist giantish aid, not speak with one of their murderers. On the other hand, anyone who can slay a giant is... is...

My eyes gleam. Is a worthy opponent!

"Good Sir Knight!" I say, interrupting both the warrior's apparent reverie or madness or whatever and also Serena's total lack of tact. I doff my hat and give a fractional bow. "I am Prince Percy Vult, of the Vult Mercantile Expeditionary Force! You seem to be in need of aid, and it just so happens that I and my crew can provide the best aid for any circumstance. Just the best aid. Could I ask your name of you? I'd prefer not to be strangers."

Speak Softly Loudly

@Percy Vult you rolled 5, 3+2 for a total of 10. I choose "What were they doing and what are they going to do next, What should I be wary of, and What do they want?

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
The Weeping Knight

As you call out you can tell the Knight seems embarrassed by your attentions. He turns away hurriedly wiping his cheeks and regaining his composure. When he turns to face you properly he positively beams. Firm bone structure, sandy blonde hair, the ease in his arms and armor that display he is well practiced. The man is dashing. He looks percy up and down.

"Ahoy Mr Vult. Call me Sir Goodfellow. I am an errant knight seeking favour."

He walks over and grabs your forearm and shakes it with gusto and looks you deep in the eye.

"I am exploring this island seeking the hollow stone. I am told the giant's protect it and when I asked this good lady she took great offense to my trespass on these lands. It is good to see other folk of similar stature to me. Why are you here?"

You get the sense that this man is an unparalleled combatant. You should be wary of engaging him in combat.

It is then that his eyes settle on Serena. He bodily pushes Percy back and rushes at her. Before she can do anything he is at his knees before her holding her hand and kissing it profusely.

"Cara Mia! You Are the most enchanting you beauty I have ever seen! Marry me!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Serena

I purse my lips and flutter my eyes, "oh, I don't know. I get so very many of those offers. What makes you worthy of my hand in marriage?"

• Locked thread