Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

spinst posted:

Thanks guys. I want to be like Joanna when I grow up. :allears:

She is cold blooded in the cage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

fatherdog posted:

UFC 1 also set the long-standing precedent in MMA of announcers not having any idea what they're seeing

Not to mention referees!

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Shine posted:

Wasn't Shamrock's loss to Gracie at UFC 1 like that? Gracie choked him, Shamrock tapped, Gracie let go, and the ref kinda stood there like "Uh, why'd you guys stop fighting?" and they had to explain to him that Shamrock had submitted. I think it went something like that.

I was watching that exact fight on fightpass right before I posted. The ref totally blew it and did not see Shamrock tap.

To fatherdog's point a lot of the commentary is about how most of the people calling the fight had no idea a choke happened.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

WickedHate posted:

Hey, I said from a third person perspective. I just want to be entertained is all.

Just watch more fights and you'll get a better eye for striking. I am still really bad at watching boxing but mma punches are easier to suss out imo.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Russow/Duffee and Reem vs Easter Island Statue Head are good/funny hw fights although some of the contestants aren't as fat and gassed as we'd like.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

Took me a minute to remember Overeem/Bigfoot just because there have been so many hilarious Overeem losses.

Spoiler!

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Siivola posted:

Oh wow, that was fast. Thanks, guys, this'll keep me busy for a bit.

Learn to love grappling.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Did the Fightpass thread fall into archives?

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Danke!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

tumor looking batty posted:

Do any good MMA rankings exist? Right now I only use the UFC ones.

I suspect the answer is no. There are so many variables and everything is changing very quickly with fighters.

edit: Any ranking is subject to massive bias by the ranker(s)

• Locked thread