Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Chris James 2 posted:

I'd say someone should make an effortpost about the glorious clusterfuck that is the heavyweight division and its history but that could honestly be its own thread

There was one! I distinctly remember someone made a thread called The Ballad of the Trashweights or something similar. I've tried a couple of times to find it to no avail, but it would be perfect to be linked in here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

CarlCX posted:

Yeah, I did that forever ago, think you need archives to get to it: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3529080

That's it, thanks a whole bunch for putting that together.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Man, Esparza got chopped to pieces in that fight. JJ was connecting with constant straight hands and on the rare occasion Esparza remembered she could move her head, JJ just turned it into a slicing elbow instead. Even though there hadn't really been a strong enough shot to knock Esparza loopy, the ref (rightly) called it off as there was basically nothing else she could do. It kind of showed the shallowness of the division at that point to me in that the then-champion was utterly one-dimensional. JJ has good takedown defense and as soon as that was taken away from Esparza she had nothing.

Joanna signed directly with the UFC in July 2014, and the women's 115 season of TUF was later that year. I'm pretty sure they knew that they had someone on their hands who would be able to win that season easily, so they didn't include her on it so that they could set her up as a contender pending the Gadelha fight. Gadelha was also supposed to go into that season of TUF but they signed her directly instead as well,

The first fight between them was a lot closer than the one on the weekend, which to me demonstrates the absolute conditioning difference between the two. The first fight was only three rounds and was fairly close. In this fight, Gadelha was getting her down with reasonable ease in the first two rounds but she gassed out completely and looked like she was trying to punch underwater, especially in the fourth round, when JJ really opened up and put Gadelha through the wringer. Had it only gone three rounds, Gadelha would have won fairly handily as 29-28, whereas with the extra rounds she lost 48-46, with one of the judges even scoring it 48-45 (9-10, 9-10, 10-9, 10-8, 10-8). Round four was definitely a 10-8 round to Gadelha but I wasn't truly convinced about round five; Gadelha at least tried to get into the action in that round and make some attacks.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Lloyd Boner posted:

Absolutely no one should feel guilty about watching Velasquez-Browne

For background on this for the newer readers: Travis Browne is one of the shamefully large pantheon of professional MMA fighters who are utter garbage human beings. He's actually on the lower end, in that he was accused of domestic violence by his wife but nothing ever really came from it. He definitely did leave his wife (and their kids) to get together with Ronda Rousey.

Other notables are Anthony "Rumble" Johnson, who at last count has three separate accusations of domestic violence against him from three different women. Jonathan Paul "War Machine" Koppenhaver, winner of The Ultimate Fighter season 6 (and competitor of not much else of note, especially in the UFC) had a storied history of misdemeanor and felony assaults that culminated in him attempting to beat his then-girlfriend Christy Mack and a friend of hers to death. Christy ended up with, among other things, a ruptured liver and 18 broken bones. He also attempted to rape her at that time. He's in jail right now on an unrelated probation violation, awaiting trial for the assaults. He has such wonderful things such as this to say on his blog:

War Machine posted:

The oppression of MEN is worse than oppression of Jews in Nazi germany, worse than the slavery of Blacks in early America … I'm not exaggerating either

The pinnacle of this mountain of turds is Joe Son, who competed in UFC 4 and had his groin punched apart by Keith Hackney, going on to amass a 0-4 record fighting with his own personal martial arts style of "Joe Son Do".

Joe is currently serving life imprisonment for rape, torture and kidnapping dating from a 1990 incident that only came to light when he was convicted of felony vandalism in 2008 and he was forced to give up a DNA sample. For those crimes, he was sentenced to 17 years, later increased to life. After going to prison, he beat a fellow inmate to death, and is currently awaiting trial for that.

Every sport has its share of terrifyingly lovely individuals, and MMA is no exception.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Eat This Glob posted:

Joe Son would be known better by non mma followers as "random task" in the Austin Powers movies, fyi

I was going to put that, forgot it in the final edit. He was in a few other really bad Lorenzo Lamas-level martial arts films in the early-mid 90s as well, probably most notably Joshua Tree starring Dolph Lundgren, which I don't think was ever released in cinemas in the US.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Lazy like a Fox posted:

Speaking of Roy Nelson- I used to really like watching TUF (there's something about the possibility of a lovely person getting punched in the face on every episode that makes it must see for me) but I haven't really had a chance to watch anything after the Roy Nelson/Kimbo Slice season (9? 10?). Who are the most notable fighters from recent seasons? The best matches? What drunk rear end drama and ridiculous producer-created plot twists did I miss? Are the international seasons any good? Thanks!

The last couple of seasons have had basically zero actual in-house drama and sort of ok to not great fights. The season before last gave us Artem Lobov wearing Ryan Hall as a backpack for two rounds and it loving sucked out loud. This season gave us cool strawweight women having decent to good fights and a good finale, and light trashweightheavyweight fighters having a really wild variance in the quality of their fights followed by one of the worst matches of the year as the finale.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

david carmichael posted:

If there were no negative connotations to it then it wouldn't be noteworthy whatsoever to him.

Yeah the way he clings onto it like a particularly tenacious chihuahua clings onto their mom's favourite dildo they found under the bed allows you to infer a hell of a lot about his mindset while he's casting the aspersions. He literally brings it up any time GSP is mentioned.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

TheUltimateDoofus posted:

this is cool, and shows how crazy the belt turnover has been in the past two years

https://eroshare.com/tsfif4nh

It was a wild and crazy time.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

WickedHate posted:

I've noticed that a problem keeping me from enjoying real life actual fights as much as I could is that punches always seem weightless from a third person perspective. Not kicks, kicks that result in KOs always seem brutal, but punches it's like...someone glides their hand through the air, touches the other person, and they just fall to the floor. It's kind of anti climactic.

Maybe I should stick to rasslin.

The thing with punches is that no matter how much Joe Rogan screams about a fighter having one-punch knockout power, it's not power in a punch that makes your opponent go to sleep. After a certain level of impact, all you're doing is further rattling someone's brain around. It doesn't actually take that much force when appropriately applied to the point of someone's chin to knock them out, or rattle them enough that you can pounce on them for the finish.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I asked in the B-League thread but I guess it got lost in the Rizin discussion last night: in regards to that promotion, is there a reason they use a ring as opposed to a cage? Tradition, aesthetics, legal issues maybe? Just wanting to make themselves as PRIDE-y as possible?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

vainman posted:

Turn it into a double feature with Cyborg/Manhoef

I or II?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Can we have some highlights for those of us without archives?

And if I didn't know better, I'd almost think Lawler was happily sacrificing his leg to his blood god purely so he could land that specific punch from hell.

Lots of

quote:

manhoef is about to kill a man live on television yall

quote:

Lawler said he plans on stand with Melvin. Lawler is already dead.

quote:

there is absolutely no way

With a rare smattering of

quote:

Manhoef gonna get his chin touched and timmmmbbbbbeeeeeer.

Then during the fight

quote:

lawler is getting dissected

quote:

holy poo poo lawler is getting tenderized

quote:

Lawler appears to have no particular gameplan other than "try not to get hit in face" and I think he's about to get TKO'd by these leg kicks

then

quote:

WHATTTTTTTTTT

quote:

WHAT

quote:

HOLY gently caress

quote:

omg what just happened?

quote:

hahahahahaa what the gently caress

quote:

Uhhhhhhhhh what just happened

quote:

I don't understand. My brain is rejecting the entire concept like a bad organ transplant.

Then the guy who said Manhoef was getting felled got smug. I hope he had money on it, because the odds must have been pretty out there for a Lawler win.

Oh and later in the thread mobn gives a bunch of advice about how to get a guillotine from a sprawl which I'm going to ahead and ignore.

Memento fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jan 7, 2017

• Locked thread