Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing

spinst posted:

Tell me about Joanna Jedrzejczyk

Womens mma has been hit or miss for the last few years with the vast majority of fighters unable to afford good training or unable to get it because of other reasons. They also, generally speaking, don't hit hard and that makes them tough to market. As little opportunity as there is in amateur mma, there's far less in women's mma.

JJ is the first woman at her weight class to break that trend. She was an incredibly decorated kickboxer and has the cardio and training to put a beating on women who aren't at her level, and the money she makes will widen that gap as she pays for better training

However, the gap has been closing in that regard. Leterneou did surprisingly well in thir fight and gadhela did very well. Ideally that division will be competitive in two or three years but who knows? W135 hasn't taken off in talent yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

Watch JJ if you're interested in seeing a fight with a wide striking gap, is the short version

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

Sean Shelby ran this defunct site back in the day and I'm insanely jealous that his nerdiness got him a cool job

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

Doesn't the Bahrain guy sponsor conor too? I don't really care but I am amazed the typically strict ufc contracts allow fighters to hang out with Chechen warlords and what not. It's like the Miami heat playing an exhibition game in Iran

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

BlindSite posted:

Like fd has said time and time again if you seperate fighters in the cage from who they are as people you'll like the sport a lot more.

I like making value judgements on someone's lifestyle or haircut or whatever and then watching them win or lose. It's the best way to add drama without making a bet

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

They probably know but they just don't care/it's good money/sometimes they get to take really fun pictures in gold bathtubs with gold assault rifles

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

Xtanstic posted:

Hey I follow casually the UFC and lurk the monthly threads. I was wondering if someone can post a breakdown of the various gyms and training camps? Off the top of my casual head:

AKA - everyone gets hurt all the time? (cainlegextension.mpeg) Notable fighters: DC, Cain, ????
Tristar - GSP and Firas camp. Rory trains here. That Scottish chick that fought Val Letourneau had a camp there. I'm guessing all the Canadian up and comers like Oliver Aubin Mercier and Elias Theodoru. Arguably one of the best camps alongside Jackson-Wink?
Jackson-Wink - AZ based. Jon Jones, Holly Holm, a bunch of other ones. They fight smart but boring?
Duane Ludwig in Denver - TJ and uh????
Nova Uniao - Aldo, Gadelha, Barao. Have a notorious rep for full out sparring in the chute boxe vein of thinking?
Edmond gym in AZ - a bad coach and a bad camp?
TAM - uhhh chinbutt and shirtless dudes? PvZ?

Am I forgetting any major ones? Is there like a consensus "tier list" of better vs not as good gyms? I'm also curious if there are fighters who have switched camps and have showed significant improvement in their new camps? Or the opposite? Off the top off the head, I think I remember Rashad leaving Jackson-Wink when he fought Jones and he hasn't been the same since?

Like Manyak said, people get really focused on who has the most belts and forget that all of these camps are great. Nova Uniao does spar hard, but it's not nearly at the level of AKA and their negative reputation is mostly for encouraging crazyy weight cuts maybe (definitely) not worrying about their amateurs as much as they should.

Tristar and Jackson-wink figured out early on that developing gameplans and giving fighters bunks so they could train full time would pay dividends (although this advantage has been overblown, imo. GSP was just that good and could have won the belt without Jackson telling him about nodes). Tristar is run by Firas, who is an exceptionally decorated muay thai coach who posts a lot of great videos on youtube. I would recommend them to anyone learning about the sport.

Edmond is not nearly as bad as he gets painted as. He's a gambling addict and a bit of a fuckup, but he was a legit WBC champ and his pad work seems fine. Ronda has been great at catching people with hooks and drawing them into clinches, and that gets forgotten because a lot of his stars have been losing recently. I think he's a bad coach for a long, often tired man like Travis Browne but that's a different story.

TAM is a great camp that has had a lot of coaching changes lately and so they are in a bit of a swirl, but young guys like Cody Garbrandt have looked great and most negative things you read on the internet about them are probably overblown.

Another camp I'd say you should look at is Evolve MMA, which is run by one of the most crazy good backstories in the sport, Chatri Sityodtong. This is the short version, but fire off a question if you want to know more about a specific camp

vvv: yeah longo owns bones

vainman fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Aug 5, 2016

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

Aye Doc posted:

who are some fighters whose falls from grace were extremely satisfying and cool to watch?

Tim Silvia

That time Ronda went from champion of the world and the most famous mma fighter ever to drunk, making GBS threads in the woods from a fast food binge, within a week

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

Turn it into a double feature with Cyborg/Manhoef

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

Uh, the one that isn't 20 seconds long. Although you can watch that too

• Locked thread