Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Welcome to the MLB All-Star Three Day Spectacular!

MLB's All-Star festivities include three events: the MLB Futures Game, the Home Run Derby, and the All-Star Game itself. Normal games resume on Friday, July 15. Note that EVERY loving THING over the course of these three days will be covered in the worst kind of corporate advertising.

Futures Game: July 10

This game already happened! For those who don't know, this pits the best prospects in baseball against each other, divided between a 'USA' team and a 'World' team. World won this year after coming from behind off the bat of hot Red Sox prospect Yoan Moncada, who took the game's MVP award:

They were also helped by some flashy defense from Moncada, the Padres' Manuel Margo, and in this case, from Cubs prospect Eloy Jimenez (who also hit a 3-run homer):

On the American side, Alex Bregman (Astros) hit a single, double, and triple.

Home Run Derby: July 11

Every year, some of the league's best mashers come together to see who can hit the most home runs. Others, like Bryce Harper and Mike Trout, sit this one out. Some players think it hurts their swing in the long run, even though this is essentially just competitive batting practice. See the HBT article here. Todd Frazier, who won last year, is back in it. Oddsmakers have Giancarlo Stanton as the favorite, but who knows? The Home Run Derby can often surprise.

These are the rules, provided by MLB, based on the changes made starting in 2014 to make it more fun to watch (and which have surprisingly worked, for the most part), mainly by moving to a bracket system and having a timed contest:

MLB posted:

• Single-elimination tournament in which the winner of each matchup advances and the loser of each matchup is eliminated.
• If the second batter hits more home runs than the first batter in any matchup, he will be declared the winner and not attempt to hit additional home runs.
• Four minutes per batter for each round. Clock starts with the release of the first pitch. In the first round and semifinals, each batter is entitled to one 45-second timeout. In the finals, each batter is entitled to two 45-second timeouts.
• Thirty seconds of bonus time will be awarded for two home runs that each equal or exceed 440 feet.
• Ties in any round will be broken by a 60-second swing-off with no stoppage of time or additional time added. If a tie remains after the swing-off, batters will engage in successive three-swing swing-offs until there is a winner.

Here is the bracket for tonight's Home Run Derby:

The futures game was followed by a celebrity softball game, including such stars as JK Simmons, Terry Crews, Jamie Foxx, Drew Brees, Landon Donovan, Jennie Finch, and some old baseball plays like Andre Dawson and Rollie Fingers. This game will be broadcast after the Home Run Derby.

THE ALL-STAR GAME: JULY 12

This year's All-Star Game pits the best of the National League against the best of the American League against one another in beautiful San Diego at Petco Park. While the All-Star Game is not as intense as it once was (before interleague play, it was the only time these leagues met outside of the World Series, and people took it loving seriously), it still - thanks to Mr. Bud Selig himself - matters, as the winner of the contest will have home-field advantage in the World Series regardless of their record. So, for the Giants players, this becomes a question of whether they want to win the series at home or away.

All-Star players were chosen by fan voting online, whereas pitchers are picked by the managers of each team. Every team is represented by at least one player (Eduardo Nunez, Odubel Herrera, etc.). While the pitchers are a bit more varied, this is really the American League Royal Red Sox and the National League Cubs. The leading vote-getter was KC catcher Salvador Perez, coming in just under 5 million. This is Miguel Cabrera's 11th All-Star Game and David Ortiz's 10th. The managers are last year's World Series managers, meaning Ned Yost will skipper the ALers and Terry Collins is at the helm for the NLers. Starting pitchers were just announced: Chris Sale (be still, my heart) for the AL and Johnny Cueto for the NL.

The full rosters:

Enjoy the All-Star Game! It's stupid that it matters, it's stupid that it's covered in advertising, but it's still kind of stupid fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

I'm ready for some Berman and it'll be a sad day when they stop wheeling him out to call this poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2p6qm8RKm5I

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

The Pussy Boss posted:

I'm ready for some Berman and it'll be a sad day when they stop wheeling him out to call this poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2p6qm8RKm5I

BACK

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

The Pussy Boss posted:

this might be the last year, you know

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Vertical Lime posted:

you shut your dirty mouth

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

jesus christ does fall out boy make a living playing this poo poo song at sporting events

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
What the gently caress is this horrible poo poo? :pwn:

I should be grateful that my cable reception is loving up.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
i turn on the tv and it's Berman introducing fallout boy and it's taking every ounce of strength to not smash my tv and put a gun in my mouth

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
So...Berman is the BACK BACK BACK BACK BACK dude, isn't he? :smith:

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Vertical Lime posted:

At the end of the season, Predator high chief Vin Scully activates his self-destruct and gives Berman a death-hug, taking them both out in a blast witnessed by everyone but the home plate umpire.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

YeahTubaMike posted:

What the gently caress is this horrible poo poo? :pwn:

I should be grateful that my cable reception is loving up.

mups

how are they not billionaires for that song

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I really hope Chris Berman falls into a black hole

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Wait what

What is happening and why is it not dingers

edit: never mind I am exceedingly impatient

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

YeahTubaMike posted:

Wait what

What is happening and why is it not dingers

DJ Irie is here to pump you up

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
was that a loving dubstep version of the baseball tonight theme what the gently caress

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I literally only recognize two of these people.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
Holy poo poo these jerseys are hideous, they look like 70s fast food uniforms.

Also why is a DJ in right field?

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund
BACK, BACK, BACK, BACK, BACK, BACK, BACK!

Please someone hit the DJ.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
lmao at that huge rear end glove in right field

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Everyone other then Berman stop talking so I can hear the BACK's.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Sashimi posted:

Holy poo poo these jerseys are hideous, they look like 70s fast food uniforms.

I was telling a friend that it looks like the Queensbridge subway station, if that station were a uniform.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

O/U on "all the way to (random place)" references? 75?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So is attending the home run derby the only acceptable time for an adult to bring a glove to the ballpark?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So is attending the home run derby the only acceptable time for an adult to bring a glove to the ballpark?

more or less

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
"Let's get ready to Trumbo!"

Heh. :geno:

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Or if you have kids

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Jesus Christ

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Trumbo is crushing these.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Oh my god Trumbo :catstare:

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

good lord

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
drat trumbo caught fire

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Holy loving poo poo. What was that, 8 swings 8 home runs?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

My god that was unreal

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe
Trumbo beasted that poo poo

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Mic drop there walking away after number 16 (when he still had about 45 seconds remaining).

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

well, that sure was a thing :stare:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
This HR Derby is already like, thousands of times better than 2014.

edit for accuracy :shobon:

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jul 12, 2016

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

This format is so much better than the old one it's amazing. Didn't the dude who won in 2014 only hit like 3 home runs because everyone kept shanking their 10 balls?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Dingerfest already lit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Imagine how much more fun this format is going to be without Berman sweating all over it.

• Locked thread