Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pork Lift
Oct 9, 2007

Winner of the 2012
:dong: Highway Traffic :dong:
Prediction Razzies

I love this I love you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

FractalSandwich posted:

Because now we understand that if players will get bored of the thing your game is actually about, you need to address that instead of trying to distract them from it. You have to make sure your core systems are fun before you start adding new ones.

Naw. It's more that now games are much more expensive to make and publishers pressure devs to get them out fast. So a lot of that stuff has to be cut or simplified.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

D_W posted:

Naw. It's more that now games are much more expensive to make and publishers pressure devs to get them out fast. So a lot of that stuff has to be cut or simplified.
That too. It's all related. Unless you're Blizzard, you don't have the money to stay in development forever, and because you know that, you have to focus your attention on the things that are most important - but we've also gotten better at understanding what's important. The "more is better" design mentality that led to a lot of those minigames and things is dying, if not dead. Of course every game has things that the team wishes they could have added or improved before they shipped, but that isn't new. If anything, it's gotten better - sometimes you get to do them in patches or DLC now.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:
HD art assets are unreasonably expensive to produce but for whatever reason, any time someone making an RPG gets a whiff of budget they immediately decide that they have to be producing an immersive high fidelity world even though they inevitably still don't actually have the AAA budget necessary to do that properly and almost anyone who's playing JRPGs not named Final Fantasy or Xenoblade at this point would almost certainly be willing to accept visuals on a par with, say, Tales of Graces and an old school semi-abstracted world map if it meant more complete and fleshed out feeling games. Instead we get worlds that are tiny by virtue of having to be "to scale" and where getting from place to place involves crossing big empty fields surrounded by high cliffs.

As a side note though I should mention in the interests of fairness that Tales of Berseria is going to have a bunch of minigames.

wateyad fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jul 16, 2016

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's ok if they know how to use low-def art. Too many just start blowing it up and slapping a smoothing filter over it, or tiling small and overly busy assets to cover large areas.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

wateyad posted:

HD art assets are unreasonably expensive to produce but for whatever reason, any time someone making an RPG gets a whiff of budget they immediately decide that they have to be producing an immersive high fidelity world even though they inevitably still don't actually have the AAA budget necessary to do that properly and almost anyone who's playing JRPGs not named Final Fantasy or Xenoblade at this point would almost certainly be willing to accept visuals on a par with, say, Tales of Graces and an old school semi-abstracted world map if it meant more complete and fleshed out feeling games. Instead we get worlds that are tiny by virtue of having to be "to scale" and where getting from place to place involves crossing big empty fields surrounded by high cliffs.

As a side note though I should mention in the interests of fairness that Tales of Berseria is going to have a bunch of minigames.
Or you can play Compile Heart games and get the worst of all worlds!

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

...dat ass

FractalSandwich posted:

Or you can play Compile Heart games and get the worst of all worlds!

What they do is another thing entirely. They are a tiny studio making games on shoestring budgets but visually their games are fine. The sort of asset reuse people get at them for is actually a pretty sensible practice given what they're operating with and honestly something more developers should engage in, albeit maybe a little less brazenly. None of this should be taken as encouragement to actually play their games of course, not by a long shot. They have plenty of other issues.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
If I'm being serious, I agree completely.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I should check this forum more often. After SO5 I see this game in a better light in every single field (especially all things story and cutscene) but technical graphics and out of combat controls.

You beautiful bastards, I am happy to see you back. Cheers.

ChickenWyngz
Apr 3, 2015

Got them WMD's! Got that Pandemic!
This brings back memories :unsmith:
Bizarrely my uncle bought a secondhand PS3 purely for the bluray, and ended up playing through this multiple times because the kid he bought it off left the disc in the console and told him to keep it. Bearing in mind he was 56 at the time and never played a videogame before, or any since.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

ChickenWyngz posted:

This brings back memories :unsmith:
Bizarrely my uncle bought a secondhand PS3 purely for the bluray, and ended up playing through this multiple times because the kid he bought it off left the disc in the console and told him to keep it. Bearing in mind he was 56 at the time and never played a videogame before, or any since.

This.... this is an amazing story. :yeah:

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Glad to get in near the ground floor on this one.

So far, the game looks so horribly anime and poorly compiled mechanically that the only way I can enjoy it is with the two of you mocking it horribly.

I'm also wondering if we're ever going to get something that can make a better avatar for wateyad than Zael's wiggle-butt zoom.

I'm hoping yes for the sake of comedy, and no for the sake of humanity.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
The game is actually pretty fun to play.

Also On the subject of Edge preferring using swords he does actually give some backstory on that later in the game. It's incredibly dumb and as usual anime as gently caress. Also if you look in one of the cargo bays he does remark that he is a really bad shot. Doesn't really justify anything but it's nice that the game does acknowledge Edge's incompetence.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Nothing like a rousing round of the pronoun game when it comes to important information your crew should know.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
One thing I've always found kinda darkly funny with Star Ocean in general is if you dig into the database about the various technologies used, it outright states the Transporters are the "kill you, make a copy at the other end" kind :allears:. You use Transporters just to change hotel floors in SO3.

Also good lord wateyad, why are you harming yourself with this game? And subjecting poor innocent Pork Lift to this horror? This can only end well :munch:.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

One thing I've always found kinda darkly funny with Star Ocean in general is if you dig into the database about the various technologies used, it outright states the Transporters are the "kill you, make a copy at the other end" kind :allears:. You use Transporters just to change hotel floors in SO3.

I'm pretty sure that like 95% of the plot and background lore of Star Ocean games in general are meant as a troll on people who take JRPG plot and background lore seriously, but there's so little daylight between that and the played-straight ones it's hard to notice.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

ZeeToo posted:

I'm pretty sure that like 95% of the plot and background lore of Star Ocean games in general are meant as a troll on people who take JRPG plot and background lore seriously, but there's so little daylight between that and the played-straight ones it's hard to notice.

That's Star Ocean 5 in a nutshell, but more like 100%

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

...dat ass
Episode 3: Spider Hunter Spider-Gatherer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wp5RymOB9Q

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Red Bones posted:

Are the medieval fantasy planets in star ocean games always populated by humans? It'd be cool if they crashed landed on like, Medieval bug people world or something. There's so many ways to make this premise more interesting.

Star Ocean 2 had a race with three eyes. I think that's as alien as it gets.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Wow. Sam Rami doesn't deal very much damage so early on. But let's face it, you could go on and on about the questionable design choices in these sorts of games.

SOLarian
Oct 29, 2012
Pillbug
Are you going to continue showing each and every random battle? They get repetitive very fast and there are going to be a lot of them.

Also I noticed that I cannot watch someone else play through this game. Why aren't you maxing out the gathering skills first? Why not follow the "outside" of the map first instead of running around totally random. :argh: (Don't take that as criticism)

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Show each and every loving one. Even if you have to rub your face into a lava dragon for 40 minutes.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!

Red Bones posted:

Are the medieval fantasy planets in star ocean games always populated by humans? It'd be cool if they crashed landed on like, Medieval bug people world or something. There's so many ways to make this premise more interesting.

Since this quote was brought up in a previous post, I'd like to mention that this is about the only reason I continue to play the Star Ocean series. I'm convinced it has a ton of potential, even to the extent of something like an anime Star Wars, based on the premise alone. I'm disappointed with each entry over failing to meet this sort of creativity, but it is what it is.

Oh, and furries don't count. I know Star Ocean is anime as gently caress, but furries aren't aliens.

Pork Lift
Oct 9, 2007

Winner of the 2012
:dong: Highway Traffic :dong:
Prediction Razzies

SOLarian posted:

Are you going to continue showing each and every random battle? They get repetitive very fast and there are going to be a lot of them.

Also I noticed that I cannot watch someone else play through this game. Why aren't you maxing out the gathering skills first? Why not follow the "outside" of the map first instead of running around totally random. :argh: (Don't take that as criticism)

We are bad people and very rarely edit our stuff. By which I mean we want to take you on the REAL, FULL journey.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

...dat ass

SOLarian posted:

You, uh, you didn't watch our Final Fantasy XIII playthrough, did you?

I can't really cut anything out because it would destroy the continuity of our commentary and in a lot of cases render it outright nonsensical. We are aware of what you're getting at though and I do pretty quickly start minimising the number of battles we get into. If we get massively underpowered at some point then maybe there'll be off screen (or at least clearly demarcated into "you can skip this" videos) grinding / farming.

wateyad fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jul 19, 2016

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.
Ah, Star Ocean 4... The plot is a hot mess, the characters depend solely on your tolerance for their particular personality cliche, but I had enough fun with the gameplay to beat it and do all the postgame superbosses, and spent way, way to much time messing around with item creation and armor/weapon customization.

Looking forward to the rest of this!

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
I watched all of of 13, I can watch these random battles. I mean, if we had anything better to do would we be watching? I think the shared suffering is a draw for these LPs.

Something is deeply wrong with me.

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
Rename him Hedge Maverick.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

...dat ass
For the record, if I was still putting the date recorded things on a black screen, they'd be making the preemptive strike / surprise encounter WOO WOO WOO noise.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

wateyad posted:

For the record, if I was still putting the date recorded things on a black screen, they'd be making the preemptive strike / surprise encounter WOO WOO WOO noise.

The thread suggestions have ruined this LP.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
Using bows so close you can practically just beat someone with it.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Kind of sad you can't backdash cancel if we're talking about speed running tactics.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Games like this are the reason I'm so bewildered when people act like Final Fantasy 13 is the worst thing to ever happen to RPGs.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

FractalSandwich posted:

Games like this are the reason I'm so bewildered when people act like Final Fantasy 13 is the worst thing to ever happen to RPGs.

FFXIII was a terrible thing to happen to Square Enix in general, considering how much money and hype they heaped on it. Star Ocean 4 is worse in some ways, but absolutely better in others, and didn't have nearly as much money or hype behind it.

Those ways SO4 is better: more open maps, more side content, a much deeper (but completely hosed regardless) crafting and skill system, and a better post-game (as in one that exists). Those weren't exactly high hurdles to leap in comparison to FFXIII.

The ways that SO4 are worse are some of the most depressing and hilarious things, though.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
It's certainly true that FF13 was much more expensive, and much more disappointing to a lot more people. And you could even argue that if it can be compared to this game at all, it's already failed.

It's hard for me to talk about this game in good faith, though, because no matter what I say about the game parts of the game, it will never really be about that. The real reason I already hate it after such little time is because it's sexist. That's the number one thing on my mind when I watch these videos.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jul 20, 2016

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
But Reimi has a far too over the top blindside animation!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

SOLarian posted:

Look, they are playing the game in the same quality level as the game itself is.

ie awful.Though it sounds like they realised they should level gathering skills.
Mostly because levelling combat skills is worthless.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
We clearly have to go the entire game not playing as Dirk Renegade whenever we can avoid it.

Also you should rename him something like "blade related name" "rebel/freedom related name" every new recording session.

That, or use like MS Word's Thesaurus option to look up related words for Edge and Maverick, then do the same thing with whatever the current names are. See how ridiculous it can get three or four sessions down the line.

Shei-kun fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jul 20, 2016

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Name him after noted mavericks, such as John McCain and Cyber Peacock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Name him after noted mavericks, such as John McCain and Cyber Peacock.

I'm pretty sure Maverick is the legend of the West.

Luck is his companion.

Gambling is his game.

• Locked thread