Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I'm very glad constant rude boy Togami has been in every DR game so far and survived. Please never die, you rich rear end in a top hat

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I just want Hagakure to die already.
I opened this thread, left and came back like five minutes later, totally forgot what thread this was and and my first thought was that this was referring to the My Hero Academia character was just....really really confused. Like loving hell what did the invisible girl do to you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I wasn't expecting much from either series but this non-linear storytelling thing they've got going on and the shenanigans with the DR2 cast have got me hooked.

Reading this thread brings me back to the first LP. :allears:

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I remember there was a lot of really interesting details about the voice casting of the characters in the series before this, are there any strange choices so far? If they got the Yu Narukami actor for this, it'd be amazing.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
They got Junichi Suwabe to be a completely unlikeable piece of poo poo that's a pretty interesting casting choice.

But for real though the dude who acted as Makoto in the first Danganronpa stage play is voicing the Ultimate Animator and the director of the games likes the Ultimate Talent Scout a lot mostly due to Keiji Fujiwara's performance of him, so that makes me think that character's going to have something to him too.

Also Kenta Miyake is voicing Great Gozu right voicing another Behemoth-like man in My Hero Academia.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Hagakure is a good man and I want to see him survive through all Dangling Grandpa games

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

FPzero posted:

e: ^^^ it's me, I like Kazuichi. He's a bro as long as he isn't trying to woo Sonia and failing.

I kinda want Yasuhiro to survive the whole way just because he's always been the least likely to survive everything yet always manages to do so. Maybe since he died in the original DR1 demo he got full immunity from death in this series.

Kazuichi is like the reverse Hagakure; he gets less likable as the game goes on. Hell by the end of the game the title of Official Bro™ goes to Fuyuhiko.

ROFL Octopus fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jul 21, 2016

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Oh definitely. Fuyuhiko is my favorite male character by far. I just still liked Kazuichi through the whole game even if I really wanted him to tone down his Sonia worship after she basically flat-out rejected him.

Just watched the newest Despair episode. DR2 cast continues to be the best cast.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I love the DR2 cast antics, but the episode felt weirdly paced and had a confusing focus.

In other words, Seiji Kishi continues to be an incompetent director.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ViggyNash posted:

I love the DR2 cast antics, but the episode felt weirdly paced and had a confusing focus.

In other words, Seiji Kishi continues to be an incompetent director.

Yeah pretty much. Like I feel like there was a better way to get most of the stuff with Chiaki you needed to get across other than the stupid fight with Nidai and Akane and the sex juice, but I'm not gonna act like Gundam holding his arm wasn't fuckin funny. I really don't like how this episode sorta just hopped from subplot to subplot though and I'd like it if I never have to see Munakata and Yukizome talk about nothing again.

Also wtf are these scenes with Hajime and Yukizome? Like he and Chiaki have perfectly fine scenes together, but Yukizome gives him like vague advice and then he scrunches his face up and the audience knows how this is gonna go.

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."
Ohhhh, I totally forgot about Kuzuryu's sister until now. I always thought that she was a Super High School person but I guess this makes more sense.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
Every episode of the Despair segment fills me with despair, because I see Nanami getting so much focus with the knowledge that something horrible is going to happen.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I just had a thought. What if Chiaki didn't die and instead willingly inserted herself into the VR program to try and heal her fellow classmates during DR2?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Kuzuryu and Nanami get golden stars for this second episode. Sonia and Tsumiki get silver stars for knowing about Technos

Hiyoko remains in the garbage bin.

Looks like the actual trouble starts in the next episode and the source is both an obvious and unexpected

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

i look forward to more murder on monday after this

CryingAthena
Nov 12, 2013
Pretty sure Kuzuryu's sister is just SHSL Biatch and the management didn't want her tainting the cool SHSL Class. :colbert:

That casual nod to Celestia Ludenberg, though. ...or does that fit timeline wise or were they actually talking about another SHSL Gambler entirely? :stare:

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

That was fantastic. I laughed out loud at a lot of parts.

It's just nice to see the characters I like getting a lot of screentime and knowing lots of horrible things I've often wondered about are going to happen. poo poo's going down.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I will be awaiting the douj this episode inspires

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Shouldn't there be a 16th student? Wasn't Girl E in the same class as the others? Sato or something?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Kamakura is going to be the 16th whenever Hajime gets Hope zapped.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
No I mean shouldn't Girl E have been in there class, before Kamakura shows up, before Kuzuryu's sister shows up. Also I thought Kuzuryu's sister went to a different school.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm pretty sure Girl E was in a class with them back in middle school is what the story was. Fuyuhiko's sister went to the same school he did when they were both in middle school, but they were different grades so odds are you aren't seeing her here outside of flashbacks since she should already be dead by now.

EDIT: Except the wiki says I'm wrong and she's in the Reserve Course around now? I am so loving confused by this show's place

DOUBLE EDIT: OKAY, I've figured this out now. This show is saying she's in Hope's Peak Academy with the Reserve Course students and Sato is in that class with her. Sato is the Reserve Course Student that Mahiru is friends with and through her she meets the other Girls through her and the same for Natsumi. Okay, that I get. Why is she in the Reserve Course though if she's supposed to also be a bully of Mahiru's and they took photography together though? I am so confused by how things were described in DR2 and how things are being shown in this show.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 21, 2016

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

OnimaruXLR posted:

Hiyoko remains in the garbage bin.

Before this episode, I would have agreed with you.

But after that Mario Kart scene :allears:

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Baal posted:

Kamakura is going to be the 16th whenever Hajime gets Hope zapped.

Nagito said the boat trip to the island was the first time they met

Sunnydere
Nov 2, 2012

(Does The Hottest Dance)

Welcome to my fell storefront! Thank you for your dark business.

alcharagia posted:

I'm sure somebody out there is a big fan of Soda Pop and is very glad he lived.

I am, and I am. He's the best loser and I hope he gets over Sonia and has a long happy laifu.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

lets hang out posted:

Nagito said the boat trip to the island was the first time they met

I thought I remembered Kamakura being a big part of Ultimate Despair's creation in that class which led me to think he at least had to have associated with them and Nagito was lying, but I really don't know

Slokir
Mar 18, 2012
DR2 cast continues to be the best.
I'm glad Nagito seems to be barely holding his grip on sanity even before he went evil.

Baal posted:

I thought I remembered Kamakura being a big part of Ultimate Despair's creation in that class which led me to think he at least had to have associated with them and Nagito was lying, but I really don't know

Kamakura was just in the original mutual killing game where he butchered the entire student council bar one wasn't he. He wasn't involved with the DR2 cast directly at all.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I really don't know what to think, because I feel like a lot of the stuff being revealed in Despair side is an inconsistency or at best a contrived convenience, but my memory might just be really bad.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I'm very much okay with the Despair arc mostly being slice of life vignettes, hopefully with less sex juice tho.

also Nanami is right, the opening to Double Dragon II is the realest poo poo video games have ever done. Machinegun Willy wants his loving corner back and your gunship in the garage won't do poo poo

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Sonia is good.

I also like how they can't legally call him Gundam

Bossie Lott
Nov 21, 2010
So Komaeda really is hopesexual.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Baal posted:

I'm pretty sure Girl E was in a class with them back in middle school is what the story was. Fuyuhiko's sister went to the same school he did when they were both in middle school, but they were different grades so odds are you aren't seeing her here outside of flashbacks since she should already be dead by now.

EDIT: Except the wiki says I'm wrong and she's in the Reserve Course around now? I am so loving confused by this show's place

DOUBLE EDIT: OKAY, I've figured this out now. This show is saying she's in Hope's Peak Academy with the Reserve Course students and Sato is in that class with her. Sato is the Reserve Course Student that Mahiru is friends with and through her she meets the other Girls through her and the same for Natsumi. Okay, that I get. Why is she in the Reserve Course though if she's supposed to also be a bully of Mahiru's and they took photography together though? I am so confused by how things were described in DR2 and how things are being shown in this show.

Hmm a lot of the double edit might make sense. What I remember was that Girl E/Sato seemed to REALLY LIKE Mahiru. Mahiru however used to be bullied by Kuzuryu's sister in middle school, and may still be getting bullied now in high school. It seemed like Girl E/Sato was in the same class as the the rest of the girls, but then again I feel like they kept meeting in 1-A, yet I think despair class was actually in 1-B in the first episode. Is there more than one class each year? Girl E is obviously still alive at this point. I really did not expect Kuzuryu's sister to show up in the reserve course as I thought she was supposed to be some unknown student of another school as far as people outside of Girl E/Sato, Mahiru and Kuzuryu knew.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Baal posted:

Mahiru and Natsumi were in photography club together in middle school, that's when the bullying happened. Sato attended the same school and knew about it but didn't do anything to stop it. Sato follows Mahiru to Hope's Peak as a reserve student. A few months into the school year Natsumi transfers to the reserve department and Sato finally decides to confront her about the bullying. Things get heated and Natsumi winds up dead.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Moltrey posted:

I'm very much okay with the Despair arc mostly being slice of life vignettes, hopefully with less sex juice tho.

The sex juice part was weird, but I found it pretty funny that Mahiru's idea of perversion is taking terrible Facebook photos. :allears:

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
This episode did a lot for Nanami's character and it makes me very happy. You can, in fact, make friends by playing games together :kimchi:

Curious about Kuzuryu's sister showing up this early. I guess it'd be safe to say that whole subplot takes place before the Izuru Kamukura Project or before Junko shows up.

Shoutouts to the crew playing Smash Bros. and Nanami referencing Double Dragon II

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

For those who are confused about Sonia's Japanese faux pas this week, she was trying to use the idiom "My cheeks are falling off", used when you have just eaten something delicious.

There's no excuse for subtitling that exchange literally.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Nanami owns and i'm looking forward to the real her saving the day in Future side because she's still actually alive maybe

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
That Gon-san imitation. :allears:

CryingAthena posted:

Pretty sure Kuzuryu's sister is just SHSL Biatch and the management didn't want her tainting the cool SHSL Class. :colbert:

That casual nod to Celestia Ludenberg, though. ...or does that fit timeline wise or were they actually talking about another SHSL Gambler entirely? :stare:

Given the 77th class in on their first year, he's right on time to scout out the 78th class, so yeah it's probably Celestia.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

I'm a bit surprised that Fuyuhiko's sister has shown up so early. I assumed that if she was his younger sister, then she would be a year behind him. Unless the Reserve course is for all three years of high school, unlike the main course which covers the last two years.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I have to wonder just how much everyone's talent encompasses. Teruteru made that Hunter X Hunter steroid, which seems more like something a SHSL Pharmacologist would be doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Didn't he have the SHSL Pharmacologist's help to make that?

• Locked thread