Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Avocados posted:

I watched S1 of Futurama and was totally floored by how good it was. Then I started watching S2 and it started feeling real run of the mill. Does it pick up again?

No it continues downhill until finally it's just "the Bender Show feat. Fry" and all the gags are about how something that should be futuristic is actually primitive and every episode has a moral about the environment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Actually season 2 is where it picks up steam and doesn't really lose it until the last few episodes of season 4.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Actually Rick and Morty is the new funny edgelord show and Family Guy and American Dad are too tame for modern audiences.

Also R&M's worst episode is funnier than any Family Guy episode.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Xavier was more subversive than either of those but nobody watched that show.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Applewhite posted:

Actually Rick and Morty is the new funny edgelord show and Family Guy and American Dad are too tame for modern audiences.

Also R&M's worst episode is funnier than any Family Guy episode.

Edgelord is maybe the worst new word of the 21st century.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

General Dog posted:

Edgelord is maybe the worst new word of the 21st century.

But it also sums up the zeitgeist of the 21st century so well!

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Applewhite posted:

Hahaha that just like the dog!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Applewhite posted:

It's really the "-lord" suffix that's insufferable, replace it with literally anything else. Edgeman. Spergman. Scrubman.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Edgefag. Edgemo. Edgepuss.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Edgequeen.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
some of the first season family guy episodes feel like very heavy handed satire of low rate simpson knockoffs

when it overshadowed other tv shows in popularity it kind of ruined the one joke it had

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
hey peter, remember that cutaway you did when you cut away to a funny gag that was so cutaway it got a big cutaway laugh cutaway cutaway?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

A 22 minute Family Guy episode is usually a set of about 15 more or less unrelated gags, one may be genuinely funny, two will be awful, and the rest will be white noise.

There will be one segment where they manage to repeat three frames for 45 seconds to save on animation costs.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I feel like there was this point in time when family guy just forgot it was a dumb gag show and started trying to be clever

it is not a clever show and it didn't work out and continues to not work out

I haven't watched an episode in years so I don't actually know I guess

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Monkey Fracas posted:

I feel like there was this point in time when family guy just forgot it was a dumb gag show and started trying to be clever

it is not a clever show and it didn't work out and continues to not work out

I haven't watched an episode in years so I don't actually know I guess

The bottle episode with Brian and Stewie that's their attempt at a one act play or something is admirable in that they actually tried to do something new, but is also maybe the worst half hour to ever air on broadcast television.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

General Dog posted:

A 22 minute Family Guy episode is usually a set of about 15 more or less unrelated gags, one may be genuinely funny, two will be awful, and the rest will be white noise.

There will be one segment where they manage to repeat three frames for 45 seconds to save on animation costs.

So it's kind of like SNL, with a higher ratio of funny:crap skits.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
let's make our background characters as lifeless as possible.

Dr. Dogballs Jr.
Jun 9, 2014

the angriest sex machine

i know what hotel and event this is :cripes:

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

I'm the cop writing a ticket to the homestuck troll in the background.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Dr. Dogballs Jr. posted:

i know what hotel and event this is :cripes:

:(

you know what to do

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

OP aren't you that loving idiot that posts about how much you hate Family Guy in E/N all the time? Am I thinking of some other dolt?

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

"Hey Lois, DIARRHEA"

"Hahahahahahahhahaha"

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
A little longer than it needs to be, but always gets a laugh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1IgUIJ6pkw

notZaar posted:

Xavier was more subversive than either of those but nobody watched that show.

God, Xavier: Renegade Angel was slept on. I'm thinking it's gonna be one of those shows that blows up in a few years when all the techno-engineered superchildren of today enter adolescence and need something weirder and higher-octane than whatever they've got.

So long as it's here in the thread, I wanna talk about how awesome Xavier was. Nothing else really exists like it and to this day I notice new, subtle wordplay whenever I rewatch it. If you watched it once and didn't like it I encourage you to try it again except more stoned, as that can help you grasp what it's going for.

Cobweb Heart fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jul 12, 2016

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Wicker Man posted:

Everyone talks about American Dad being better, and it has some improvements but it has it's own problems (Roger, Roger, Roger). Especially in the later seasons.

Imo American Dad was only really good for a few seasons and when it was really swingin for the fences it was mostly roger carrying the show.

Gives me chance to blast my calves BA BOOM

ba bam, ba boom, ba bam, ba boom

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Cobweb Heart posted:

A little longer than it needs to be, but always gets a laugh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1IgUIJ6pkw

God, Xavier: Renegade Angel was slept on. I'm thinking it's gonna be one of those shows that blows up in a few years when all the techno-engineered superchildren of today enter adolescence and need something weirder and higher-octane than whatever they've got.

So long as it's here in the thread, I wanna talk about how awesome Xavier was. Nothing else really exists like it and to this day I notice new, subtle wordplay whenever I rewatch it. If you watched it once and didn't like it I encourage you to try it again except more stoned, as that can help you grasp what it's going for.

It's probably some of the most densely packed comedy on TV but everybody wrote it off as post modern stoner humor.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012

Captain Yossarian posted:

OP aren't you that loving idiot that posts about how much you hate Family Guy in E/N all the time? Am I thinking of some other dolt?

Whaaaa Why hate Family Guy?

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Gaunab posted:

Whaaaa Why hate Family Guy?

I don't like family guy, but I think you may have a mental problem

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
If liking family guy is a problem then i'm crazy lololol!

HereComesEverybody
Mar 2, 2007

a commodius vicus of recirculation back to Howth Castle and Environs.

family guy is good for at least a couple of laughs per episode

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

notZaar posted:

It's probably some of the most densely packed comedy on TV but everybody wrote it off as post modern stoner humor.

this is what I did but maybe I should give it another shot

not like it would take long

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

notZaar posted:

I only bring up getting stoned to watch it if you can't enjoy it otherwise. Pretty much every single second is funny, and the jokes come so fast and so bizarrely distorted across time and meaning that you can't slow down enough to wrap your brain around all of them on your first watch.

I didn't watch all of Season 2 but what I saw was a hell of a lot lamer, disappointing, since once you're done with Xavier season 1 there is no other path for you go down. Ooh, frittata!

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Season 2 is still good, especially Damnesia Vu.

Fun fact, one of the skits in Damnesia You is made by none other than our very own babyfur creep Shmorky.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Havent watched in a while but the last few seasons of fg adult swim had were almost unwatchable like lois becoming a boxer and the one where quagmire kills his sisters abusive bf or when quagmire gets talked into sex with his trans father

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

notZaar posted:

Season 2 is still good, especially Damnesia Vu.

Fun fact, one of the skits in Damnesia You is made by none other than our very own babyfur creep Shmorky.
poo poo, I better go and give it another shot! Does that weird-rear end recurring ​​symbol still show up?

Uncle Wemus posted:

or when quagmire gets talked into sex with his trans father
Oh noooooo :mrwhite:

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
Why is everyone talking about that other show? This thread for talking about how funny Family Guy is! Like when quagmire tried to have sex with meg lmao

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Ape Fist posted:

I was going to come into this thread to make sure everyone knew I would never watch Family Guy as it is not a funny television show and to tell everyone that I only watched refined television shows and cartoons like the hilarious Rick and Morty. Rick burps and drinks, and he says 'wubbalubbadubdub!' which is great, just great. Also have you seen the Gazorpazorpfield bit? And Ants in my eyes Johnson?! LOL! All my fives, all my fives indeed.

Do you know anyone in your life that enjoys these type of quips or do people's eyes mostly glaze over when you fire up the sarcasm machine?

I just wanted you to know you sound like a little bitch.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Cobweb Heart posted:

poo poo, I better go and give it another shot! Does that weird-rear end recurring ​​symbol still show up?

Oh noooooo :mrwhite:

No that was resolved in season 1, it was the gang sign of the Local Locos.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Cobweb Heart posted:

It was put together by the guys at PFFR, who also did Wonder Showzen; so they're still around doing things, just with less exposure.

Feebly guy is okay sometimes.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Do you know anyone in your life that enjoys these type of quips or do people's eyes mostly glaze over when you fire up the sarcasm machine?

I just wanted you to know you sound like a little bitch.

It took a while but we snagged one. Welcome to the jungle bitch are you ready to get owned? :fyadride:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
Stop talking bout that other show. It not funny. Talk about Family Guy! Like when the dog wrote the bad book and was got made fun of on the tv show! LOL!

• Locked thread