Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's gonna win SFV
This poll is closed.
Infiltration 31 26.96%
Xian 1 0.87%
Tokido 12 10.43%
Harry "Virtua Fighter" Potter 5 4.35%
Diego 6 5.22%
JWong 6 5.22%
Sonicfox 10 8.70%
Lepper Marn 10 8.70%
When's Pokken 34 29.57%
Total: 115 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

C. Everett Koop posted:

Personally can't wait for Melee to go two hours over its timeslot, making ESPN mad, only for a full on R. Mika buttshot to cause ESPN to pull the feed and launch a million thinkpieces.

Personally I'm writing stuff for Kotaku/Jezebel right now, just to be prepared.

Isn't the ESPN Dos broadcast just mainly highlights? It's coming on like at 9pm isn't it?

Edit: Yeah it's only showing the SFV finals at 9pm central. No worries about Melee bleeding in.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jul 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Jmcrofts posted:

It is a good game but IMO it's hard to really know what's going on unless you play the game. It's not like SF where you can go "that guy jumped and the other guy anti-aired him, I get it".

Kinda have to agree with this.

But Tekken 7 is more accessible to play than the last game was and a lot of people who aren't really Tekken players are kinda getting excited for it, so you might want to watch a bit of it to get the flavor.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
As someone who has never played Tekken I watch it sometimes and understand nothing except the combos and even then only part of that. It's fun but I feel sadly lost when my Tekken-playing friends get hype about "DID YOU SEE THAT WHIFF PUNISH" or whatever

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

AnonSpore posted:

As someone who has never played Tekken I watch it sometimes and understand nothing except the combos and even then only part of that. It's fun but I feel sadly lost when my Tekken-playing friends get hype about "DID YOU SEE THAT WHIFF PUNISH" or whatever

play Tekken problem solved

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I tried that before and ate 4 ewgfs in a row and nobody told me anything so I gave up

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
did you maybe, I dunno, ask them

most half-serious Tekken players I know are pretty thrilled when new people say they want to learn to play

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I'd recommend watching tekken, it's fun

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i wish espn was showing the guilty gear top 8 so we could have two years of millia on espn

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jmcrofts posted:

Wiz tweeted that he has a plan in case the tournament is running late. He'll probably kick Melee off the main stage or something.

smash isn't good enough for the melty blood parking lot

Woden
May 6, 2006
So are the brackets as lopsided as people complaining on eventhubs say?

Like Daigo / Xiao Hai / Tokido all meet early on and one will be gone before top 128 while JWong wont see a known foreign player until top 32 and his bracket was changed to move Nuki away.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
That's some bullshit if tokido and daigo meet in pools out of 5k people.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Woden posted:

JWong wont see a known foreign player until top 32

Apparently this is also true for Julio

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
dont wanna let espn get stuck with a bunch of weird people from Somewhere Else

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if they're hoping for a white guy to win evo they're going to be really disappointed

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
White people don't play fighting games, they play Smash.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

A.o.D. posted:

What about MK?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i spent like seven years of my life thinking spooky was a black guy

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Jmcrofts posted:

What about MK?

I can't name a dude other than SonicFox.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Foxy grandpa who's apparently the 2nd best mk player

Foxes

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

A.o.D. posted:

I can't name a dude other than SonicFox.

Never forget

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cyo8cKGUayw

Jmcrofts fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jul 13, 2016

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Tae posted:

Foxy grandpa who's apparently the 2nd best mk player

Foxes

Oh yeah, that guy. Another notable not white fighting game player.

fyi I'm white as gently caress this is all tongue in cheek.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Woden posted:

So are the brackets as lopsided as people complaining on eventhubs say?

Like Daigo / Xiao Hai / Tokido all meet early on and one will be gone before top 128 while JWong wont see a known foreign player until top 32 and his bracket was changed to move Nuki away.

Literally hosed up if true.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

fighting games are a loving joke and street fighter v is their messiah

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

The west has a level playing field in SFV because unlike previous Street Fighters Japan has no arcade scene for the game anymore and they got the game at the same time also we put the best hope for a US victory on the far side of the bracket away from everyone else who's good

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Does EVO still do that thing where players are seeded based on organizer-submitted tourney results cause that'd explain why all the eastern players aren't seeded apart from each other and the western ones are

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Evo seeding is a shitshow news at 11

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Gologle posted:

Literally hosed up if true.

Justin will run into Itazan, Fuudo, Nuckledu, and Louffy before top 8. Unless he/they get sent to losers.

dragon enthusiast posted:

Does EVO still do that thing where players are seeded based on organizer-submitted tourney results cause that'd explain why all the eastern players aren't seeded apart from each other and the western ones are

No it is seeded by CPT points, and Justin is ranked #1 in CPT points.

Jmcrofts fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jul 13, 2016

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

That's still incredibly easy comparatively when apparently one of Xiaohai/Tokido/Diego will be knocked out due to fighting each other before top 128?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

AnonSpore posted:

That's still incredibly easy comparatively when apparently one of Xiaohai/Tokido/Diego will be knocked out due to fighting each other before top 128?

Ponder claims that this is incorrect and both Daigo and Tokido can make it to top 64 winners.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I checked it myself and the way it's set out is Xiaohai vs Diego in top 128, winner goes on to fight Tokido in top 64 winners, loser must fight the loser of that match in the match to decide top 32 losers

So it's not quite as bad but still pretty bad

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I mean, of course some people will have easier paths to top 8 than others (Justin's path to top 8 is by no means easy for what it's worth). But do people really suspect this is some kind of planned coup to guarantee an American in top 8? That's a little :tinfoil: for me.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I didn't say that I said Evo seeding was a shitshow

Which it is

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I hear Evo seeding complaints across multiple games, though the specifics on why they're bad go over my head.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

mycot posted:

I hear Evo seeding complaints across multiple games, though the specifics on why they're bad go over my head.

People want to see what the feel as "Top" Players not have to encounter each other directly until the top brackets so you get the best games in the Semi / Finals.

What classifies as the "Top" players changes between people and games so its a crap shoot pleasing everyone.

Edit: Well I understand part of it as you don't want a famed player getting eliminated off stream but at the same time, setting it would be a headache in its own way.

Tormented fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jul 13, 2016

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
My Twitter timeline is dotted with pictures of various FGC people heading to EVO.

It's happening. :ohdear:

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

A.o.D. posted:

Suddenly the popularity of melee makes so much more sense

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Enlarge the thingy.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I'm the recycled poses on a ton of those people

Woden
May 6, 2006

Jmcrofts posted:

Justin will run into Itazan, Fuudo, Nuckledu, and Louffy before top 8. Unless he/they get sent to losers.

No it is seeded by CPT points, and Justin is ranked #1 in CPT points.

Cool thanks. Looks like nothing to see here.

AnonSpore posted:

I'm the recycled poses on a ton of those people

I'm the angled tiny text.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

america isn't even going to manage top eight in gg are we?

• Locked thread