Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fart Puzzle
Jul 25, 2007

compressed fart pieces

yeah they told me that too, but I figured it was good an excuse as any. plus one of my cardiologists would not stop guilt tripping me over how lovely my lungs looked, she even gave me the disappointed mom look when I told her I would not stop smoking weed lol

oh yeah I just remembered that before I went into surgery they put a drat IV into my spine that they pumped opiates into, that was pretty crazy when I woke up in recovery with a completely numb torso and arms. surprisingly getting a needle shoved into your spine is not that bad, but I'm pretty sure I was already doped up when they put it in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

cardiologists end up being the ones keeping you going, the harm you do to your lungs can wreck you with cancer and emphysema but if you avoid those you'll live long eough for it to give you heart disease, and by the time they're fixing you they're buying a year or two for a brutally lovely life.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
I've taken (at least) five types of opiates/opioids, and my experience doesn't really match the usual narratives. Opiates are complicated things, biologically and psychologically.

1. Codeine: kind of a good way to make slight annoyances and pain go away.
2. Dextromethorphan: I was kind of dependent on this through my 20s, I took it every two weeks or so for at least five years. Its structurally and physiologically not totally an opiate, but its pretty close in a lot of ways. The sense of well being is less, but it is still there, and it also can give people a lot of energy.
3. Vicodin: After a tooth extraction. This gave me a lot of energy, and kind of a facile sense of self-confidence. I had never had an opiate before, so I was expecting it to just gently lull me after the surgery (and I was just coming out from Halcyon, too!) and instead, 30 minutes later, I am trying to clean my entire house. When I remember the feeling of energy, its something that was kind of enjoyable, but nothing that I feel the need to do again?
4. Tramadol: Also for dental reasons. Not a typical opiate, it combines medium pain relief with anti-depressant action. It also gave me a lot of energy and made things enjoyable again. It kind of overstimulated me. I enjoyed not being in pain, but I don't really look at it as an unforgettable experience?
5. Poppy seed teas: I did this as an experience, and found I really likep it. There was a month in late 2013, when I drank some pretty much daily for a month. It gave me energy, took away pain, and gave my thoughts a whirl. Kind of psychedelic, not the typical "opiate" high. Also, not something that made me want to lie down: I literally completed a century (100 miles on a bicycle), while drinking lots of poppy seed tea. This is something I would do again, but its not like this "total rush" that people talk about with other opiates, like if I drank it and sat in front of my computer, I was miserable, but if I drank it and did something active, I would feel good. I also liked the entire process of making it, because its a pretty tasty beverage when done right.

There might be people who look at this and say none of these qualify as real opiates, or make me a real user. But there are people who take vicodin or codeine, and they become addicted. For me, it was more like "an interesting experience, kind of fun, might do it if it was available". I think a lot of the talk about opiates being an instant rush that is totally addictive is from people who have severe anxiety and depression. (I just have normal anxiety and depression). Like if your normal life is a hell, than vicodin is going to be a break from that. If your normal life is okay, than vicodin is just a novelty.

(Same thing with Benzodiazapines, which can be more addictive than opiates: the three doses of Halcyon I was prescribed were something I enjoyed, but I don't have any desire to repeat the experience. What's the point?)

glowing-fish fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jul 13, 2016

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

the rush will never come from oral opiates unless you've probably taken what is a fatal amount, and dxm is a straight up disassciative psychedelic if you take plateau dose

You need to do the other ROAs if you want to get that feeling. I've only had it by snorting oxy a few times and i got it intravenously for real reasons before i got a problem, in a hospital, and the two experiences are night and day and if you're chasing a rush you sentense yourself to uh, chasing the rush, which is what gets people on heroin, so if you ever feel it, just save it for the rainy day of having a deadly painful disease in the hospital.

The Valuum
Apr 11, 2004
I felt like poo poo this morning until I went into the bathroom at my workplace and injected 1mg of suboxone (like $2 worth of drugs), then I felt fairly good for an hour or so, then just normal.

Fart Puzzle
Jul 25, 2007

compressed fart pieces

hemophilia posted:

just save it for the rainy day of having a deadly painful disease in the hospital.

for real, like I have hosed around with opiates a bit recreationally but I've heard plenty of stories of junkies with too high of a tolerance to get effective pain treatment to scare me off messing with them very much at all. initially when I was in recovery the sedatives kept the edge off the pain and they were giving me a low dose of opiates so I didn't die or whatever but god drat once the sedatives wore off and they went to move me out of the intensive care unit I was in a world of hurt. I'm talking pain level 10 here guys, all I could do was writhe on my gurney and beg for pain meds and once those fuckers hit it was like a choir of angels just took away all of my pain.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

hemophilia posted:

the rush will never come from oral opiates unless you've probably taken what is a fatal amount, and dxm is a straight up disassciative psychedelic if you take plateau dose

You need to do the other ROAs if you want to get that feeling. I've only had it by snorting oxy a few times and i got it intravenously for real reasons before i got a problem, in a hospital, and the two experiences are night and day and if you're chasing a rush you sentense yourself to uh, chasing the rush, which is what gets people on heroin, so if you ever feel it, just save it for the rainy day of having a deadly painful disease in the hospital.

Yeah, but people get addicted to benzos orally, like from the first dose it is something they want to pursue, whereas for me it was like "well, okay"

Or for that matter, alcohol. There are people who find alcohol preferable to any form of opiates. For me, alcohol is like "well, I'm bored so for the next few hours, I am going to drink and think dumb stuff is awesome". Its hard for me to understand why people can get addicted to something that is, to me, just a novelty or diversion.

I don't really want to try injecting opiates to find out if the rush is instantly addictive. But just my experience with using other substances that can be addictive to some people, is that the idea that a drug is so overwhelmingly strong that it instantly addicts anyone seems to be unfounded. I'm not saying that people who do become addicted have something wrong with them, or are weak, but I don't think its a simple stimulus and response.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Fart Puzzle posted:

for real, like I have hosed around with opiates a bit recreationally but I've heard plenty of stories of junkies with too high of a tolerance to get effective pain treatment to scare me off messing with them very much at all. initially when I was in recovery the sedatives kept the edge off the pain and they were giving me a low dose of opiates so I didn't die or whatever but god drat once the sedatives wore off and they went to move me out of the intensive care unit I was in a world of hurt. I'm talking pain level 10 here guys, all I could do was writhe on my gurney and beg for pain meds and once those fuckers hit it was like a choir of angels just took away all of my pain.

i had spinal inflammation that was like full body pain giving me dryheaves after i finished puking out anything in my stomach that couldnt keep food down, and i got a spinal tap in treatment for that, which caused spinal headaches that made it worse and yeah at the height of it all i could do was scream for pain relief. I had a needle phobia before that day.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

hemophilia posted:

imo this isn't true, its just a much more mild rush. i've never shot anything (terrible fear of needles) but railing oxy/dilaudid is definitely better than eating a bunch of vicodin or drinking tea, but you still get a nice rush when orally imbibed stuff kicks in. especially with FST

someone clear something up for me: back in 2011 i tried a really strong narcotic three or four times. it was like 4x as strong as dilaudid and came in 20mg pills, with like 5mg being equivalent to 8mg dil / 40mg oxy or so, I can't for the life of me remember what it was. the pills were hexagonal, as i recall

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Frog Act posted:

imo this isn't true, its just a much more mild rush. i've never shot anything (terrible fear of needles) but railing oxy/dilaudid is definitely better than eating a bunch of vicodin or drinking tea, but you still get a nice rush when orally imbibed stuff kicks in. especially with FST

someone clear something up for me: back in 2011 i tried a really strong narcotic three or four times. it was like 4x as strong as dilaudid and came in 20mg pills, with like 5mg being equivalent to 8mg dil / 40mg oxy or so, I can't for the life of me remember what it was. the pills were hexagonal, as i recall

FST and alcohol tinture of any sort is a bit of a cheat over regular oral digestion, as tincture basically starts absorbing before you swallow it. I would start getting high taking FST and coffee and by the time i finished my spiked coffe yeah, i had a rush, but a recreational dose of vicodin for me these days is ~50mg on the low end, and that's not a rush, that's just good feelings.

An intravenous rush is a loving insidious rear end in a top hat and just don't do it. Don't ever let it happen outside of a hospital, and dont try to game the ER team for your pain medicine either. it's loving scary how good it is and in the moment i got relief from meningitis or something, i felt much better, and i also understood in that three seconds from pinch to bliss why people killed themselves on heroin, aand you just gotta not ever don't do it

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

I feel like the thread might appreciate this tale from everyone's favorite addict, William S. Burroughs. It's Christmas themed and while it's not that time of year, it's always Christmas in your heart whether you know it or not (especially if you're on drugs):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6kHN92Yv48

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster
did anyone say smooth sailing yet? Because its smooth sailing once you get past the stigma

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
Jeez Hitler just take a chillpill, willya?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

sure as long as its free

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

hemophilia posted:

sure as long as its free

It's always free if you boof it.

Zidrooner
Jul 20, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

glowing-fish posted:

Yeah, but people get addicted to benzos orally, like from the first dose it is something they want to pursue, whereas for me it was like "well, okay"

Or for that matter, alcohol. There are people who find alcohol preferable to any form of opiates. For me, alcohol is like "well, I'm bored so for the next few hours, I am going to drink and think dumb stuff is awesome". Its hard for me to understand why people can get addicted to something that is, to me, just a novelty or diversion.

I don't really want to try injecting opiates to find out if the rush is instantly addictive. But just my experience with using other substances that can be addictive to some people, is that the idea that a drug is so overwhelmingly strong that it instantly addicts anyone seems to be unfounded. I'm not saying that people who do become addicted have something wrong with them, or are weak, but I don't think its a simple stimulus and response.

I have similar experiences as you when it comes to benzos, opiates, and alcohol. I just can't get addicted to them. Even if I take enough that I get withdrawals, I just buckle up for some temporary nastyness and I'm free.

On the other hand I'm not sure I wouldn't end up killing myself if I had unlimited access to amphetamines, cocaine, ketamine or ambien. I think it might be because they make my mental problems (adhd and depression) go away (yes, even ambien) and everything is perfect on them, whereas the first group just makes me feel good but still wrong.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Zidrooner posted:

I have similar experiences as you when it comes to benzos, opiates, and alcohol. I just can't get addicted to them. Even if I take enough that I get withdrawals, I just buckle up for some temporary nastyness and I'm free.

Be very careful with that. Alcohol and benzos are two of the very few substances where withdrawal can actually be lethal. Not even opioids do that.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I had to work for and pursure my demons so just imo if someone says anything was instantly addictive they were at a crossroads of stress and brutal crushong weight of some sort and it acted as some kind of instant relief. If you are such an anxious gently caress that xanax is your ambrosia, well so you're impulsive and uneducated maybe and you understood one thing, the pill helped you then so you assumed it would help you forever. Or a drink. Whatever was first.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Same

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Itchy as loving hell, but its like a really good itchy because its satisfying to scratch yourself

also vomit

tsc
Jun 18, 2004
hostis humani generis

Frankenstyle posted:

Well that's a hosed up attitude. You should be thanking me for keeping you employed.

the ultimate goal in addiction counseling and treatment is to put ourselves out of business, yes.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

objects in mirror posted:

For those of you who have been down this road, can you tell me what it feels like to be high on that stuff?

Am I missing out?

feels amazing

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
haha peeing on suboxone was ridiculously difficult!

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Illavick posted:

Itchy and sometimes vomity.

Also itchy on my end. Used to be that the pain killing part made me not care. However that doesnt work as well these days. :(

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

nomadologique posted:

haha peeing on suboxone was ridiculously difficult!

I used to have that problem with something else I'm taking, but I found a simple solution that really works.

Do it sitting down.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

ya great that's just how i want to be found, sitting on the toilet as oposed to fallen face forward into it

pfft

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Zidrooner posted:

On the other hand I'm not sure I wouldn't end up killing myself if I had unlimited access to amphetamines, cocaine, ketamine or ambien. I think it might be because they make my mental problems (adhd and depression) go away (yes, even ambien) and everything is perfect on them, whereas the first group just makes me feel good but still wrong.

A lot of times, with me, the drugs that I want to take are ones that play into my work ethic. Like, the reason I took LSD was not so much that I wanted to, is that I felt I had to have that experience. Got to get that LSD merit badge. My regular DXM was kind of the same way: I just had to explore what happened if I took more, and took it under different circumstances. (DXM is wonderful for exploring some tiny mediocre suburban park and feeling like you are in the middle of Yellowstone). And the opiates that have worked for me (Tramadol, poppy seed tea) have worked because they appeal to my work ethic, like I am accomplishing things! I feel powerful and transcendent.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

great, even the productionists have gotten their hands on drugs, now i have to find something else to not-do

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Are you more likely to take drugs when you're poor ?

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Zidrooner posted:

I just can't get addicted to them. Even if I take enough that I get withdrawals

Uh. If you're getting withdrawals, that's a sign of physical addiction.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Your brain is not a physical object you see. After you inject drugs their effects are emphemeral just ignore for a second ive just injected a couple ml of fluid containing some moxture of mg and mcg of different drugs straight into my bloodstream that are now slamming into various sites in my brain causing wildly evolutionarily unexpected activity

Social Media
Jan 21, 2010

it's pretty bad OP. i wouldn't do it if i were you

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Incredibly relaxing but you oughtn't to.

Zidrooner
Jul 20, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chief McHeath posted:

Uh. If you're getting withdrawals, that's a sign of physical addiction.

I mean I don't get psychologically addicted to them

Artline70
Apr 23, 2008
Morphine pills made me feel like everything is wonderful and nothing ever hurts and we all live in a fluffy cloud of happiness, while vomiting my guts out and having scratch breaks in public restrooms.

I used it every few days for a month, then ended up doing heroin once. It was the same experience only more amplified. I thought there's no problem with keeping on with the occasional usage, until I realized I'm about to drive my parent's car alone to the wrong side of the tracks to get more.

Yeah. Got clean a bit afterwards and I've been a sober bore ever since, but hey, at least I didn't get raped while buying smack

heffsay
Mar 5, 2013
3 of my friends have OD'd from heroin/opiates. If that's your thing OP, go for it.

Or just smoke weed and get wasted and occasionally blast some rails, like a normal person.

Zidrooner
Jul 20, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The best opiates to use recreationally are codeine and tramadol as they are the least likely to gently caress up your life.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
The sad thing is, with opiate addiction, that you read this entire thread and only have two thoughts: One is simply reading or posting. The other is let's get some oxy. For almost all of us posting here, it's a temptation even when we know it's bad, will lead to our deaths, whatever else. It's kinda sad how that works.

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan
Anyone who has been addicted to heroin, would you recommend it to someone who has untreatable cancer and 6-9 months to live?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona

monkey posted:

Anyone who has been addicted to heroin, would you recommend it to someone who has untreatable cancer and 6-9 months to live?

yes absolutely

• Locked thread