Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Runa
Feb 13, 2011

A narrator speaking in the manner of an old-fashioned storyteller reminds you of an annoying nerdy friend?

This was a conscious decision that not only helped build the tone for a scene but also functioned as an efficient way to unambiguously give the audience information. Did you think it was an accident of "anime being anime" that in a show with flourishes of animation utilizing traditional visual media, there might also be similarly non-essential but deliberately evoked stylistic techniques drawing from older storytelling media? Hell, when the narrator talks about how Mob's emotions expand little by little, he draws out his enunciation for emphasis in the way a grandparent would read a story to their grandchild, how the wolf was going to huff, and then puff, and then bloooow the house down.

Just how much of a modern anime stereotype is it to have your grandpa occasionally walk into the room to explain the naive hero's secret emotional turmoil, and also the fact that he loves milk?

Terper posted:

But the abstract visuals themselves (and the accompanying music) made a perfect job of spelling out what was happening, you didn't need the narration to spell it out. The music and sound effects perfectly sold the "calm before the storm" and Mob telling Dimple "This is what happens when I show my emotions" would clear up any questions. You have Mob fixating on "Get a clue", showing all these scenes as the colors are drained or emphasized, the words for all of his emotions first being free but then all being caught inside him and storming about while the counter goes higher and higher and louder and louder until finally it reaches 100. Just add the RAGE kanji and there ya go.

Yes, that could get the point across intellectually, but emotionally and tonally the narration style is serving a purpose that more modern "show, don't tell" method of storytelling could not.

And that's evoke a sense of old-fashioned, wistful nostalgia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

mfw thread talking about dumb bullshit when there's a new episode

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

Buzzsaw Roomba fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Aug 22, 2016

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

augh where the subs at

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Mr. Lobe posted:

augh where the subs at

on crunchyroll
:confused:

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

a kitten posted:

on crunchyroll
:confused:

The subtitles were not loading at first. This happens right after they are uploaded. Obviously that's been fixed by now.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

The next episode is going to be the best one ever, and this one was really good as well. I'd go as far as saying that this episode has saved anime.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Monday's episode....

It's here!

100% episode watching emotion time.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Say no to violence.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LtSw0r-2z4

fight on

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Body Improvement Club-Sempai, when will you come save to me too :love:

Also, no narrator this episode, turns out he is useless

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Rexides posted:

Body Improvement Club-Sempai, when will you come save to me too :love:

There was no long narration in the adapted chapters

Besides, the narrator was still there to explain Reigen's secret technique and deliver the punchline with Mob going to the park.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I'm glad the BIC doesn't skip leg day week.

Also, this show is super good.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Aug 1, 2016

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Stats!

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Very sad they didn't find a spot to fit those into the anime.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
tag yourself I'm this guy

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

But I'm also that guy

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

how does this show keep getting better?

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Next week is gonna fuckin melt faces, get hype.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
The biggest question on my mind is how high Mob's muscle stat will be by the end of the series.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

i can't stop loving the Body Improvement Club

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

The Body Improvement Club was the correct choice. The Body Improvement Club has warmed my heart and saved anime all while looking swole as gently caress. The Body Improvement Club almost makes me want to put down this dr pepper and attempt a squat.

Almost.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Body Improvement Club!!!!

I wonder if the next emotion on the list is envy? I assume it's not going to be RAGE every time.

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Dimple is amazing, BIC is amazing but gently caress me I hoped they would get to the main fight today. Is it next monday yet?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
This show sucks, every episode just makes me want the next one.

Also I love how Teru's aura looks, goddamn

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Body Improvement Club
Pumped Up

100%

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Moltrey posted:

tag yourself I'm this guy

hell, same

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Rexides posted:

Being petty in this, the Body Improvement Club thread??

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Being petty in this, the Body Improvement Club thread??

My atrophied muscles are only matched by my shriveled self-esteem :smith:

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

It's great how the Body Improvement Club is basically just a group of super-nice muscle nerds

Also, eagerly awaiting the next episode. I said in the manga thread that I'm gonna judge the entire series on that one, and from what we've seen so far, I'm pretty confident it's gonna rule.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
The Body Improvement Club is no-joke one of the best parts of Mob Psycho 100 and they don't get to appear nearly as often as they should. They're all super nice and supportive, it's great.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Between the body improvement club and Saitama's training regimen, I kinda get the feeling that ONE really wants people to work out.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

We should all want to work out

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Body Improvement Club, the true heroes of 100 Mob Psycho 100. :allears:

Also gently caress you and your cliffhangers, uuuuuuuuuuuuugh

aers
Feb 15, 2012

On the staff front, episode 4 was solo animated by http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=124400

(this means they drew all the key frames, they didn't do all the inbetweens of course)

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Dias posted:

Body Improvement Club, the true heroes of 100 Mob Psycho 100. :allears:

Also gently caress you and your cliffhangers, uuuuuuuuuuuuugh

Literally shouted this at the screen when the credits rolled. :argh:

Otherwise a really great episode.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Torquemadras posted:

It's great how the Body Improvement Club is basically just a group of super-nice muscle nerds

Mighty Dicktron posted:

The Body Improvement Club is no-joke one of the best parts of Mob Psycho 100 and they don't get to appear nearly as often as they should. They're all super nice and supportive, it's great.

They are the best and my favorite supporting characters, even above Reigen and Dimple (who are both excellent).

I love the manga, and this show is just knocking it out of the park. Unless it manages to burst into flame and careen into a ditch, it's looking like we're 2 for 2 on ONE adaptations.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

You must not use it on people.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Zero_Tactility posted:

Reigen and Dimple (who are both excellent).
You anime only folks have no idea, I didn't like either character for quite awhile, but they slow burn into amazing, also body improvement does indeed get better, until slowly falling to the wayside. (sadly)

Everyone is very supportive in there own ways :3 but there will be great moments I hope they can do justice, signs point to yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
Let's hear it for the good muscle boys

• Locked thread