Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p040cvp9/robot-wars-meet-the-house-robots

https://twitter.com/UKRobotWars

I used to LOVE this show as a kid, and I had no idea they'd bring it back again years later!

For those of you unfamiilar with this show, Robot Wars was like WWE for remote-control cars, all the teams who came on we're packing their bots with spinning discs, large pincers, chainsaws, steel blades, and they'd just ram and smash the gently caress out of each other! The show kicked arse, the contestants were awesome (Razer was my personal favourite) and little toys were made out of them. I remembered owning a World Championship VHS set with toys of Razer and Chaos II.

I don't think this'd be good enough for TVIV, but goddammit, I'm already feeling pumped for this and I can't loving wait!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJ77e-Uzscs

Junior Jr. fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
wedge bot everytime

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
Don't you mean Battle Bots

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
:yikes:

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

cuck cuck im gay posted:

Don't you mean Battle Bots

get that inferior poo poo out of here

PallasAthene
Dec 6, 2010

Why, vixen, have you again set the gods by the ears in the pride and haughtiness of your heart?
They filmed the first episode in Dallas the other day.

NWS/NMS: http://www.dangerandplay.com/2016/07/10/graphic-picture-of-micah-johnson-the-dallas-shooter-after-he-was-killed-by-a-robot-bomb/

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
oh god I think I know exactly what this is

I remember this one jobber fight with a mouse-aesthetic robot called Squrmin' Marvin or something vs this birthday cake robot and both were poo poo at combat so they awkwardly bumped into each other a whole bunch.

Then there was this pyramid shaped robot with a gnarly pickaxe that would cleave through everything and won most of the tournaments

Those were good times and I finally have a reason to get hyped for something.

:flashfap:

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
a bunch of skateboard ramps with R/C cars under them will ram into each other until one flips

there I just predicted the outcome of every robot battle

PallasAthene
Dec 6, 2010

Why, vixen, have you again set the gods by the ears in the pride and haughtiness of your heart?
I remember there was a caterpillar/snake bot that pretty much moved around the floor but did nothing else. I wonder if the team that made it ran out of time when it came to putting a weapon on, or of they figured they could outlast it the other robots.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
The new Sir KIllalot is a bit weird, now he looks like a Brotherhood of Steel soldier from Fallout.

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug

City of Tampa posted:

a bunch of skateboard ramps with R/C cars under them will ram into each other until one flips

Whatever robot is the least complex, has the fewest moving parts and is the easiest to control will win.

To put it in other terms the most boring-rear end robot wins!

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
This is one of my favourite bits from the old show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_e4cHWS2758

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
They're not really robots.

They're remote controlled.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

City of Tampa posted:

lol just lol at the concept of a ramp bot winning in the SriMech era.

e: also the best bit of Robot Wars was the v. good joke scene in Spaced where Daisy pretends to be Phillipa Forester.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Junior Jr. posted:

This is one of my favourite bits from the old show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_e4cHWS2758

:eyepop:

That's the stuff.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I built a robot wars robot at school and won a bunch of engineering awards but then the show finished and I went to college 😥
I emailed the school last year to ask what happened to it and they didn't respond. I love robot wars. Razor is the boy.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

they need to make this outdoors, on uneven terrain, and let the bots use guns. Maybe ditch the audience and film the fights with drones.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Im going to miss craig charles coked up and out of his mind talking to children

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
They should make Robot Whores: teams of kids make robot fuckmachines and Craig Charles shags each one to destruction. The one that lasts longest wins.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Razer was the best because it actually destroyed the other robots rather than just tipping them over or whatever. I remember so many wedges. And so many had "pneumatic spikes" that the teams hyped up that never did anything at all.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Grand Prize Winner posted:

they need to make this outdoors, on uneven terrain, and let the bots use guns. Maybe ditch the audience and film the fights with drones.

maybe ditch the bots and just use people

maybe poor or otherwise underprivileged or disadvantaged people

it could be some kind of game. we could call it the hungry games

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
introduce flying bots and projectile weapons and I'm game, otherwise it's gonna be boring as hell

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Elukka posted:

Razer was the best because it actually destroyed the other robots rather than just tipping them over or whatever. I remember so many wedges. And so many had "pneumatic spikes" that the teams hyped up that never did anything at all.
Right it was the natural evolution of hypnodisc which got steadily less good as they bodged more parts onto it instead of making the blade better.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Whorelord posted:

Im going to miss craig charles coked up and out of his mind talking to children

i saw him dj last year and he was extremely coked up

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
gemini was a pretty cool bot, it could split in two and flip stuff, though according to the rules if one half of them was immobilised they'd be gone. They did a pinball run and it was amazing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nauRiyxxAPQ

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
Wheely Big Cheese was awesome, it had the biggest flipper ever in the show, and the team showed off how good it was against Axe-Awe, in possibly the shortest battle ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cvVYzvQQB4&t=148s

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Razer kinda sucks because it just grabs the other robots and that's it. grabber robots shouldn't really be a thing... but whatevers.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

HYPNO DIIIIIIIIISK

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Jose posted:

same except this year and twice

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
EL TORO is obviously the best bot

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jul 12, 2016

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Robot Wars is what made me want to get into robotic engineering.

Unfortunately I wasn't a smart kid and wasted my youth, just as I continue to do to this day! :)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
dead metal is still the best house robot, killalot is still poo poo

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
sgt bash is best house robot. flamethrower, that's it.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Also cool: Junkyard Wars. Bring that poo poo back.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

Jose posted:

Hahaha awww yeahhhh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMSPW6EU0zQ

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
it's funny yet sad how he was on it, then said he'd never do it again, then went straight back to doing it again.

poor lister.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

so this is like the fake pro-wrestling version of battlebots?

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

The Goatfather posted:

so this is like the fake pro-wrestling version of battlebots?

1. robot wars came first, even though both shows came from the same creator

2. never bring up that poo poo in this thread again

autoaim.cfg
Aug 6, 2005
:qq: WHINY SHITHEAD :qq:
*drops mic*

City of Tampa posted:

introduce flying bots and projectile weapons and I'm game, otherwise it's gonna be boring as hell

I remember the first time I caught the show. Must have been aaages ago. I didn't know anything about it and I got pretty excited about watching it, thinking it was going to be so neat to watch robots battle it out. Five minutes into the program I was like "What the gently caress is this horrible poo poo? It's just RC bumper cars! These are no robots!" And I felt so cheated. Of course it should be real actual ROBOTS in one on one combat. That would be awesome. But... since that's not going to happen for some time now, I'm on board with the whole RC thing, I guess.... if we're talking about DRONES! Having a drone combat show to watch would be cool. I'd watch the living daylights out of that. And with today's tech, that should be a viable option for telly, I do believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

Can't they bring back eurotrash instead? Robot wars was poo poo.

• Locked thread