Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

or if the picture is a bit much, a link to the text version of the rules

Looking for 3-8 people to get weird.

quote:

You are a voice. This is your character sheet

Willpower: This starts at 10. If you take 3 skills instead of 2, it starts at 7.

Skills: A short description of a skill. Like drives well. Is an auctioneer. Assembles bombs. Whatever suits your fancy. Something relatively specific though, doesn't matter how far fetched. You get 2 of these, and can take 3 if you lower your willpower to 7.

Obsessions: This is your winning condition. If you complete your obsession more than other players you win. These are ranked from 1 to 3 with 1 being the easiest and 3 being very difficult to achieve. The harder your obsession the more it counts in scoring.

Create two obsessions

If you have PMs you can PM me your sheet or just your obsession. If not, you can be bold and just put it in spoilers for all of us to see respect and not look at.

You're John. We're all John. You're insane and the voices in your head are going to lead you to some weird places.

----

Clarifications
Sorry, some clarification on obsessions. Typically you'd create one obsession, but let's spice it up, yeah? You'll create two obsessions. These are your personal goals you want to make John accomplish using your skills. So come up with whatever you want. It can be something easy to achieve like compulsive lying or something a little more difficult like starting fires or something hard to accomplish, like freeing zoo animals.

You have free reign in your obsessions. You can spoiler it if you don't have PMs(or if you just feel like posting it here). I'll rate your obsession difficulty so don't worry about that, but if you have questions let me know.

---

For anyone who is a little confused about the game.

https://youtu.be/D636T-Grg3Y?t=2m

The explanation starts at 2 minutes and game play shortly thereafter.

BUT essentially, each player will make a bid for first control of john. Bids are an amount of willpower you wish to expend to try and take control of john. Once all players are out of willpower the game is over. Once you have control of john you'll try and do things to satisfy your win condition(s). You're the voice in John's head, so you'll telling John what to do in thread, I'll narrate the results and complications. When John is hurt, goes to sleep or a voice fails an action, another bid is made for control. You don't have to bid every time. When all players are out of willpower, I'll tally up the number of times you satisfied your win conditions and multiply them by their ranks to determine score.

---

You can either PM the bid or post it. When it's time for bids, I'll call for the bids and give a reasonable time limit to get them in. I'll announce when all bids are in and who has control.

---

Something I neglected to say previously, but is written in the rules. You don't lose Willpower from the bid if you don't assume control. Additionally, when you are in control you can use Willpower points on a 1 to 1 ratio to increase your bonus on the role. So you say what you want to do, and declare publicly if you're using WP points to assist the role. Also the rounds will carry over what has transpired in the previous round, but not necessarily picking up immediately where John left off. He's not in control of himself after all.

The audience lets out an 'Oooo' in unison.

Anomalous Amalgam fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jul 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
I'm John

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret
no I'm john

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.
Hey guys. John here.

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.
Also quick question. Are obsessions given randomly by the GM or do we describe our obsessions as well? The rules dont really say.

Li Dawny
Apr 14, 2013

I am really really excited for this.

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Li Dawny posted:

I am really really excited for this.

I want to imagine that AA posted this like, yeah it'll be great ill get some of the role playing guys together and we'll have a good ol' time. Instead he got a bunch of us maftards.

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret

JimsonTheBetrayer posted:

I want to imagine that AA posted this like, yeah it'll be great ill get some of the role playing guys together and we'll have a good ol' time. Instead he got a bunch of us maftards.

excuse me I am both a mafia player, and a roleplayer

also a cyoa dabbler

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
I'm John, but you can call me Jack of you like.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

John here

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
John checking in.

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

John checking in.

Hey john. What's up?

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Hey john. What's up?

Not much, John. I was gonna just run to the john, then hit up John and John to see if they wanted to go over to John's place to play cards and have some brewskies.

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Not much, John. I was gonna just run to the john, then hit up John and John to see if they wanted to go over to John's place to play cards and have some brewskies.

Oh. Sounds good John Joseph was gonna take John to a movie you know how John gets after a movie. ;)

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
I'm John?

I'm John.

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

UnCO3 posted:

I'm John?

I'm John.

Hi John. How are you?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I want to be John, too!

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

Hi John. How are you?
Alright, a bit peckish.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Yes... very good. John's head is filled with pleasant little voices.

I'll stop recruiting here. Make sure you send me your sheets OR post it with spoiler tags.

The game will get going a bit later this afternoon.

:cheers:

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Should I just put the obsessions in spoilers, or everything? Also, how many should/can I pick, one of each level or more?

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

I am excited for when me and John can finally hang out. I was talking to John about it and he agrees. It's been to long since we've seen John and I mean john just hasn't been the same since john left.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

e X posted:

Should I just put the obsessions in spoilers, or everything? Also, how many should/can I pick, one of each level or more?

Well John, I'd suggest keeping them a secret, as not every John out there is on your side, and if they knew what your obsession was they might go out of their way to make sure you couldn't fulfill it.

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Well John, I'd suggest keeping them a secret, as not every John out there is on your side, and if they knew what your obsession was they might go out of their way to make sure you couldn't fulfill it.

John. I for one have faith in John. I think John just wants to help.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

I'm John, and I approve of this message.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Yeah, I know John's a good guy, but have you met John? He's quite a trickster and he's swindled me a number of times. I can't tell you how many times I've found myself at a checkout only to realize that all my cash is missing, and I'm pretty sure that rat-bastard John is to blame.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Sorry, some clarification on obsessions. Typically you'd create one obsession, but let's spice it up, yeah? You'll create two obsessions. These are your personal goals you want to make John accomplish using your skills. So come up with whatever you want. It can be something easy to achieve like compulsive lying or something a little more difficult like starting fires or something hard to accomplish, like freeing zoo animals.

You have free reign in your obsessions. You can spoiler it if you don't have PMs(or if you just feel like posting it here). I'll rate your obsession difficulty so don't worry about that, but if you have questions let me know.

Anomalous Amalgam fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jul 13, 2016

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Yeah, I know John's a good guy, but have you met John? He's quite a trickster and he's swindled me a number of times. I can't tell you how many times I've found myself at a checkout only to realize that all my cash is missing, and I'm pretty sure that rat-bastard John is to blame.

Are you sure it wasn't John?

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Are you sure it wasn't John?

poo poo...you're right, it probably was John.

For funsies I'm going to put my second obsession in here.

I am a masochist and am obsessed with getting bruised.

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret
got my sheet in, ready to make john great again

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
pre:
John:

Skills: Accomplished doctor; very accurate when throwing things

Obsessions: Save a human life; Purge this sinful earth!

Willpower: 10

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Sheet's in. I think a fun time will be had by all (Johns). :)

:) :) :)

Li Dawny
Apr 14, 2013

Sheet's in, and this is going to be great guys.

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Li Dawny posted:

Sheet's in, and this is going to be great guys.

God John do you ever shut up? drat.

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret

Let John do whatever John wants, stop holding John back!

Li Dawny
Apr 14, 2013

Rude

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
For anyone who is a little confused about the game.

https://youtu.be/D636T-Grg3Y?t=2m

The explanation starts at 2 minutes and game play shortly thereafter.

BUT essentially, each player will make a bid for first control of john. Bids are an amount of willpower you wish to expend to try and take control of john. Once all players are out of willpower the game is over. Once you have control of john you'll try and do things to satisfy your win condition(s). You're the voice in John's head, so you'll telling John what to do in thread, I'll narrate the results and complications. When John is hurt, goes to sleep or a voice fails an action, another bid is made for control. You don't have to bid every time. When all players are out of willpower, I'll tally up the number of times you satisfied your win conditions and multiply them by their ranks to determine score.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

Absurd Revolver posted:

Let John do whatever John wants, stop holding John back!
The only one holding John back is John.

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

I'm sorry John. You know I have a hard time with my feelings. Your voice actually makes me happy.

Li Dawny
Apr 14, 2013

I'm sorry John. You know I have a hard time with my feelings. Your voice actually makes me happy.

Aww, thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Do we PM you our bids, to keep the zero bid bluff option, or do we not bother and just post it?

• Locked thread