Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Vagabond
Aug 4, 2006

Have bindle will travel
At the point where hard-boiled detective fiction meets talking animals is a cafe. In that cafe there is most likely Salmmy.

He spends most days drinking coffee and avoiding doing anything, but when the fate of the world, more or less, hangs in the balance he reluctantly sets down the mug and picks up his gun...

I'll admit that the very concept for the book sounds like the fever dream of a madman but it's pretty goddamn entertaining regardless.

Salmmy is available for free on Amazon all day weekend, and really I can assure you that at that price it is at least worth buying if not reading.

https://www.amazon.com/Salmmy-Crescent-1-Tim-Schaub/dp/1519634048

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Hi Tim

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Strong sense of deja vu here.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
better than tao lin

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Also did you just gently caress up typing Sammy and refuse to back down or what

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Also did you just gently caress up typing Sammy and refuse to back down or what

It's obviously derived from Salamander, uncultured swine.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Bandiet posted:

Sal would probably be a better name then

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

End Of Worlds posted:

better than tao lin

funny

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

The Vagabond posted:

it's pretty goddamn entertaining regardless.

I don't think this is true.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I think its very interesting the person who drew that cover wanted credit for it

crusty
Apr 16, 2015

Crustacean
OP, your post was too long and boring, what makes you think I'm going to get through the first page of your book

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I think its very interesting the person who drew that cover wanted credit for it

it was me. i drew it. please fund my patreon

The Vagabond
Aug 4, 2006

Have bindle will travel

The Vagabond posted:

it's pretty goddamn entertaining regardless.

A human heart posted:

I don't think this is true.

I am tempted to agree, thematically the protagonist told me the story then called me a liar in the forward... So screw that guy.

Bandiet posted:

Oddly enough it isn't, he explains it at some point in the book.

anilEhilated posted:

Strong sense of deja vu here.

I pretty much post here every time the book is going on sale (Free) because over the years goons have given me a lot of free poo poo, mostly on EVE

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

new avatar please

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

new avatar please

Two observations:

Hat has no hole in the bottom

Hat is actually hovering a foot behind Salmmy

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I'm hungry for salami now.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

How much did the Batman the Animated Series font cost?

The Vagabond
Aug 4, 2006

Have bindle will travel

Lightning Lord posted:

How much did the Batman the Animated Series font cost?

I don't know which font you mean... I've never seen the show. Is it the same as my title font? if so those cheap bastards used a stock msword font, and I know because I am also a cheap bastard who did exactly that.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

I'll admit that the very concept for the book sounds like the fever dream of a madman but it's pretty goddamn entertaining regardless.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
leaving a 1 star review on your own book is pretty drat stupid

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I've actually got it and it's pretty entertaining so far, but I feel I have to ask: did a rogue comma murder someone close to you? I'm not a native English speaker so it might be just me, but what I've read so far feels really short on those.

The Vagabond
Aug 4, 2006

Have bindle will travel

Bardeh posted:

leaving a 1 star review on your own book is pretty drat stupid

Fair enough, check the reviews I left a 1 star myself

anilEhilated posted:

I've actually got it and it's pretty entertaining so far, but I feel I have to ask: did a rogue comma murder someone close to you? I'm not a native English speaker so it might be just me, but what I've read so far feels really short on those.

It might be... Let's call it a stylistic choice.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Is the book being a pile of poo poo also a stylistic choice?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

The Vagabond posted:

Fair enough, check the reviews I left a 1 star myself

Yeah, I saw. It's directly counter-productive. Most people aren't going to read the funny joke, they're going to see a 1 star review and it may well turn them off from buying your book. You've also tanked your overall review average, which will turn plenty of people off from ever clicking it in the first place. Come over to the self-pub thread in CC and we'll give you some actual advice along with the snark.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jul 18, 2016

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Bardeh posted:

Yeah, I saw. It's directly counter-productive. Most people aren't going to read the funny joke, they're going to see a 1 star review and it may well turn them off from buying your book. Come over to the self-pub thread in CC and we'll give you some actual advice along with the snark.

Or stay in this thread and receive even better advice like "stop"

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Or stay in this thread and receive even better advice like "stop"

eh, it's not my thing but I'm sure it's some people's thing. If the book was packaged and marketed better than a 12 year old could do, it might actually sell some copies.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Bardeh posted:

I'm sure it's some people's thing.

I aggressively challenge this assertion

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

new avatar please

I find this drawing strangely charming honestly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Bardeh posted:

Yeah, I saw. It's directly counter-productive. Most people aren't going to read the funny joke, they're going to see a 1 star review and it may well turn them off from buying your book. You've also tanked your overall review average, which will turn plenty of people off from ever clicking it in the first place. Come over to the self-pub thread in CC and we'll give you some actual advice along with the snark.

The way Amazon ratings work, pretty much everything that isn't at least a solid 4 stars is probably a dumpster fire, because 5 stars is the sort of default "this was acceptable, no complaints" rating. The worst book I've ever read has a 3.5 rating with 43% of the overall reviews being 1 or 2 stars. I don't know how bad you'd have to be to end up with a 2 star rating, because I've never seen one.

Because of that, I usually set it to only show 4 star ratings and above when I am looking for new books, so this dude's joke review just ensured that I'll never even see his book.

• Locked thread