Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Does Generations have more than 1 weapon model for Charge Blades? Because that would be really neat.

It feels like a cool weapon, but my fashion sense scoffs at the lack of interesting Charge Blade models in MH4U.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Your Computer posted:

Does Generations have more than 1 weapon model for Charge Blades? Because that would be really neat.

It feels like a cool weapon, but my fashion sense scoffs at the lack of interesting Charge Blade models in MH4U.

It turns out Ping's MHX dex has pictures, so I found the answer myself.

The answer is yes. MHGen has tons of amazing Charge Blade models compared to MH4U.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

rhoga posted:

There's a pretty easy thing you can do to make the nub better. Not good, but better than stock.
https://www.reddit.com/r/3DS/comments/44spty/i_replaced_my_cstick_with_a_psp_analog_stick/
Takes a few minutes, easily reversible if you have a 00 screwdriver.

I see this quoted a bunch, but has anyone done any "long term" testing of it? Does it screw with the sensitivity over time? Does it stay put or will it eventually start to wobble (considering it's not a perfect fit)?

I have an old PSP that I basically never use, so I'm tempted to try this. My N3DS is a fancy ~Hyrule Edition~ version however so I'd hate to gently caress it up. Either way, the nub is totally garbage though.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Is there a good guide on online stuff? Like, from basic "how to" to etiquette to more advanced stuff.

I haven't touched any of the online yet in MH4U as I'm kind of a recluse gamer (even in MMOs) but maybe I should actually give it an honest try in Generations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I don't even know how the online works in this game other than "you can fight monsters in a party instead of alone." :(

Things I have no idea what is includes:
- Guild Quests?
- Gathering Hall?
- How do you even group?
- Is it like.. ranked and rewarded differently from the offline stuff?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
You guys are the best! Thanks everyone :kimchi:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
So uh, I just fought Yian Garuga for the first time. :goleft: I assume everyone had a good laugh at the board meeting where he was being designed.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If the info I got is true, I'm really happy that you can sorta use whatever weapon in MHGen by upgrading it directly instead of turning it into a different weapon (please be true :pray:)

There are so many fantastic low level weapons that turn into Maximum OverEDGE once you upgrade them in MH4U. Everything high level has to be black! And red! With spikes! Glowy bits! More spikes! I love the aesthetics of stuff like the Fragrance Spear:

which, when upgraded.. turns into a completely different weapon literally named "Darkness" (yes, of course it's black and has spikes.)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Actually, I can't help myself so now I'm looking through the different weapon designs in MHGen. Holy poo poo there are so many I love compared to MH4U. My A E S T H E T I C etc.

There are Lances that look like spears! There are Long Swords that look like naginatas! There are Hunting Horns that are actually horns! :toot:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
So how many hours until they release the game on the eShop? :pray:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Wrist Watch posted:

Where are you seeing all the designs? Is there a site that has that up somewhere?

I'm using Ping's MHX Dex: https://sites.google.com/site/pingsdex/pingsmhxdex

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
So it turns out the armor and the weapons I want the most in MHGen all come from Gammoth. Can't wait to farm him for weeks in the name of fashion :cripes:

But I mean, look at this fancy thing (it's a lance):

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Golden Goat posted:

We need more gifs cause this game looks crazy stylish

So graceful.

Golden Goat posted:

My god

I can't decide what weapon to use first, everything looks so stylish to use.

Monster Hunter Generations is my most anticipated anime. :allears:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I posted in the general Nintendo thread but as a new player to the series, how out of my depth am I going to be? The baffling complexity is exactly why I ordered it

I only just picked up my first Monster Hunter game a few days ago (MH4U) and I was surprised at how good the game is with tutorials, help screens and such. For everything else, this thread has been super nice (and I've asked a million questions already!)

The hardest part for me so far has been controlling the camera, and that's probably the biggest criticism I have of the game(s). :goleft:

As for the combat, I think it shares a lot of similarities with Dark Souls in that it's very "methodical" (i.e. no button mashing) but the biggest difference between the two games is that Dark Souls have a lot more invincibility frames.. and a lock-on. Dodging in this game seems to be a lot less reaction (seeing an incoming move, i-framing through it) and a lot more positioning. Basically, you gotta really learn their movesets.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Electric Lady posted:

You can lock on to large monsters by pressing their icon on the touch screen. I think that's the only way to do it. Center your camera on them by pressing L.

It's massively convenient, especially when a Nargacuga or something jumps to one of your blind spots.

It's just centering the camera though, definitely not a lock on. A lock on kinda... locks on you know.

Being able to center the camera on the monsters is still massively convenient though, and I can't imagine playing without it.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Rascyc posted:

I find a lot of Dark Souls people feel MH is very unresponsive on the controls. I don't get it myself until I find out it's people who play 60 fps dark souls trying to adapt to 30 fps MH controls.

I'm a 60 fps DS player and I don't think the controls are unresponsive in MH4U/MHGen so I don't know. The animation lag on the other hand is enormous compared to Dark Souls, but that's a design decision and not really unresponsiveness. Take drinking a potion for instance... not only do you have to stop and chug it, but your character has to do a lil' flex too.. then take out their weapon... and now you can start running again. Same with attacks, your follow-through is usually pretty massive and you can't just attack and then instantly dodge. If you come from Dark Souls where you used a sword+shield and then try the Sword&Shield weapon.. you're gonna have a bad time probably. The Hammer on the other hand (as I was suggested) feels much more like a Dark Souls two-handed hammer.

Rascyc posted:

Having a hard lock on would be such a nightmare once you understand monster body parts.

That and the fact that the AI really isn't designed around it. I don't think you could design a lock-on for Monster Hunter that wouldn't freak out unless you also redesigned the monsters.

scaterry posted:

I've realized that adapting to adept style is really rough for me because I am already dodging in a way that prevents me from getting hit in the first place, often by reflex.

Which is why it's perfect for me, since last-minute dodging is exactly what you do in Dark Souls instead of actually dodging away :haw:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

The biggest thing I think is important to remember about this game is that it is very much a GAME in that there are rules and systems at play that are not connected to a "reality".

Which is also a thing I feel it has it common with Dark Souls.

"Why the gently caress can't I drink a potion while running?"
"Why the gently caress do you have to do that flourish after the swing?"
"Why the gently caress can't I just climb this ledge?"

They're very deliberately and tightly tuned games, and in a lot of the same ways. If you can play by the rules of one, you're probably gonna have a good time with the other (I know I am!) Like, it never felt weird for me that I have to stop and run for cover just to chug a potion :cheeky:

Rascyc posted:

except for underwater combat

Has any game done underwater combat that isn't bad?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

What do people think of the change to Lance outside of Striker style, with the third poke? I didn't get a chance to try it last night at all.

From the little I've heard, everyone hates it.

I like it because it feels like a much more impactful end to a combo than just "three pokes, then uh.. wait a little". :unsmith:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Damone posted:

:siren:Game's out on the nintendo store in the EU!:siren:

Also comes with a nice theme.

Holy poo poo you're not kidding :toot: :supaburn: :toot:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

Us americans can't get in on that, right? I have no idea how online Nintendo stuff works anymore

I'm pretty sure you can't buy cross-zone on the eShop, unfortunately.

You'd probably have to buy a second (European) DS and make a European account and bind it to that to be able to buy from it.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mega Comrade posted:

Yeah unable to buy in UK :(

The grave consequences of Brexit already rearing its head?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I just nuzzled a llamasheep.

GOTY.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It's a shame the early game monsters are so small and unaggressive that you can't really properly try out most Adept and Aerial styles. :goleft: I mean, there's the demo of course but it must be weird for first time players.

The weapon/style/art tutorial is exactly the same as in the demo too, so it's against a Great Maccao aka. the worst thing to show off styles.

I think I want to give the Charge Blade a good try in this game but I can't decide on a style. Aerial seems useless in the beginning of the game and it had an Adept Block instead of dodge which scares me. :ohdear: Same with Lance.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SpaceDrake posted:

Honestly for the super-early game just slap on a weapon you can kill small things with quickly and power through it. Only worry about actually choosing weapons to main once the game begins consistently throwing things at you that are big enough for your entire toolkit to come into play.

Well sure, but with something like the Charge Blade that I've never used it's also a matter of learning the moveset. You're probably still right though.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

boz posted:

Axe mode gets adept dodge

Oh, you're right. :getin:

I also just realized that Adept Guards are basically Dark Souls parries which make them very much my thing so uh... I don't know what I was thinking.

C-Euro posted:

If you're new to CB just start with Guild, figure out the basics of the weapon and then pick a Style based on what you do or don't like.

For a lot of weapons I almost feel like there's even more stuff to get used to in Guild than in the other styles. Striker usually removes some mechanic/combo in favor of more arts, Aerial does the same to give you a more powerful aerial attack, and Adept is just... the coolest thing ever so it gets a free pass. Adept Charge Blade's evade -> instant red charge seems much easier than trying to do it manually :saddowns:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
What's the deal with all the new items like Unique Fern and Dragon Amber Piece? They say "(Account Item)" and neither Kiranico or the MHGen DB has anything under "Usage".

Has no one figured out what they're for yet or are you supposed to sell them or something?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

thorsilver posted:

Same as in 4U, Account Items give you points at the end of the quest for buying poo poo from the traders, etc. They don't have any other use.

Oh :geno: I guess I never figured that part out. Thanks!

I feel like points might play a bigger role in this game? I'm only a couple of hours in but I've basically been zenniless the entire time, so I've had to use points for food and such. My own fault for crafting several weapons and armor pieces so early, but still.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
What exactly is improved with the bow? I just tried the bow in the tutorial (Adept Style) and after some settings fenagling (Bow Controls Type 2, Bow Aim Mode Cancel Manual) it owned pretty hard :stare:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm surprised at how open this game is compared to MH4U :stare: Just a couple or hours into the game and I can travel all over the world to fight all kinds of monsters and gather all kinds of stuff which in turn means being able to craft all kinds of weapons and armors... This is awesome!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Rage McDougal posted:

running out of copies (isn't the whole point of a pre-order to stop that from happening?)

The point is 100% to get nerds to pay money before a product is even released.

Pre-ordering has become an insanely huge moneymaker after companies realised that people would buy their products without even seeing it beforehand. (Not that that applies to this game, but there are several stories of sites continuing to allow for preorders way over stock)

e: :goonsay:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Oh my god why did I doubt the Adept Guard. I just Adept Lanced an Azuros and utterly destroyed him. Sure, he's so easy that he should have been the tutorial monster.. But being able to just parry like that felt so good :stwoon:

It's like I'm playing Dark Souls.. With cat puns!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

deadly_pudding posted:

I mean, he kind of is the tutorial monster. IIRC he's like the second Large Monster you fight in MH3U. He's like a less mobile Lagombi.

I mean the literal tutorial in the game. To try out new weapons and arts they put you against a Great Maccao.. Which is really bad for showing off that stuff. They should've gone with the blue teddy bear is what I'm saying.

Minrad posted:

My two star quests is like 5 pages long, send help.
The completionist in me is screaming on the inside. Is it pain or is it delight? :iiam:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I decided to try out the Light Bowgun and the Bow some more.. and then I remembered that I need to make another armor set for Gunner weapons :negative:

Curse this game for wanting me to play all the weapons, all the time.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Minrad posted:

"WAKE UP MOOFOLKS!" Paranoid villager is great. This is some top notch localization.

The localization in this game is amazing :allears:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Lemon-Lime posted:

This reminds me: no one has asked/answered the most important question yet: is Guildmarm still in the game?

I haven't seen her but I hope she's in the game somewhere :(

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

HitmanAndQuitIt posted:

Wait, so the tutorial section DOES have a checkmark?? :ohdear:

Yes, and there are so many of them :smithicide:

e: by the way, can someone give me a step by step guide on unlocking the MH4U bonus stuff? I accidentally skipped over some dialogue and have no idea what the NPC told me I had to do.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

NT Plus posted:

Like is there anything to be gained from getting all the checks?

AFAIK only some honey and potions and stuff, so no.. No sane person would do all of them. :v:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

enojy posted:

Adept Long Sword -- is there a more effective way to follow up after triggering the perfect evasion?

Even if you dodge right into the attack (and the enemy charges past you) you can still hold the stick backwards and start running in the opposite direction from where you dodged. That's the only way I've found to make it work, and you'll be doing your spirit slash blindly since your camera is the wrong way :negative:

Also a problem: Enemies who move again faster than the final attack (gauge level up) animation. I only got the hit off once on Bulldrome because he would charge again while I was doing my anime pose, and then the attack would whiff.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I liked the moofah saving icon so I recreated it in .gif form

e: here it is with the grass and without the black outline I added, unfortunately it doesn't really show up well on this background

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jul 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
:regd08:

I made a gang tag with the moofah. There's no antialiasing on the text because MHGen is on the 3ds.

• Locked thread