Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mbt
Aug 13, 2012

first line of the new OP and already off to a great start

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

Is it worth picking up a circle pad pro for this?

that depends

CPP doesn't fit the New 3ds so if you have that forget it
if you have the old 3dsXL it feels great ergonomically (makes it shaped more like a controller) and the stick feels much better than the New 3ds nub.

If you're using ranged weapons, the CPP is almost required, it turned me from a light bowgun scrub into a heavy bowgun godking

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

Hrmm maybe I should get a New 3DS.

for this game? Why

they're both capped at 30 fps, the only difference is initial load time, an extra second in between area transitions, and a tiny amount of texture pop in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFfZkGi89as

plus you'd be forced to use the nub instead of a CPP

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Your Computer posted:

The answer is yes. MHGen has tons of amazing Charge Blade models compared to MH4U.

gently caress

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Hypha posted:

Gunner is very fun in this iteration.

its always been fun
its always been good
but it hasn't always been this accessible

let me tell you about grinding fish for combine-able pierce 3

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Charlie Bobson posted:

I bought MH4U when it came out but didn't play it very much. I enjoyed most of what I played (up to the 3rd village I think) and Generations coming out has rekindled my interest a bit. Is it worth buying Generations when it comes out or should I just go through 4 until I clear most of the content?

mh4u is going to be a ghost town in two days, if you like playing with other people, which you should because its monster hunter, then get gen

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

online multiplayer rules:
#1 don't spam your own quests
#2 you share your 3 lives with the whole party, don't be the guy who carts 3 times
#3 if you're bad at the game and want to be a leech don't cart, don't trip your teammates, and bring lifepowders (they heal everyone in the zone)

e: no seriously I am perfectly okay with unskilled players as long as they dont cart twice in the first few minutes which almost forces a restart at that point.

e2: VVV yeah that's a good point, ask your party if they want to restart, don't just leave your team because, and this is an important point

-In online mode the monsters have a flat +% health regardless of the number of people in the party. You can solo every online quest, but with 3 more people it goes 4x as quickly (theoretically). If someone leaves that's just 25% damage lost, along with all their traps, bombs, and lifepowders they theoretically brought with them.

mbt fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 13, 2016

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Where did you hear that about GL?

japanese solo hunt speedruns put it in last place along with hunting horn, but at least hunting horn has utility in a group

also GL has a heat mechanic now so it really is just a lovely lance

but lances got buffed to be now the best, fastest killing melee weapon in the game, so now gunlances are in a real bad spot

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Wafflz posted:

Look at this bad weapon solo demo narga in 4 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsewWZOKqXM

Look, the question was "are gunlances bad". If your metric is "can the weapon kill the monster" then sure every weapon is good. The only reliable comparison between weapons is clear speed. Also lmao, the demo armors and weapons are a terrible judge of the weapons at endgame, gunlances are one of the best demo weapons but interestingly one of the worst HR weapons!

japanese MHX records
7 Star Seregios:
http://www65.atwiki.jp/mhxtawiki/pages/118.html
Lance 2'59'16
Gunlance 4'42'65

7 Star Shagaru
http://www65.atwiki.jp/mhxtawiki/pages/111.html
Lance 2'57'98
Gunlance 4'12'70

etc etc

Besides, the most stylish is aerial heavy bowgun pellet, which isn't a lance or a gunlance.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Sprite141 posted:

A 1 minute 20 seconds difference is absolutely nothing. The poo poo thing is the gunlance power drop causing heat to be an upkeep like LS' spirit guage.

GL has always been slow for me. It's more built like a phalanx weapon with huge bursts. Sorta.

keep in mind that that 1m 20s difference is only that short because the player is really good at gunlance and keeps almost 100% uptime. For regular joe hunter who isn't playing super efficiently they would be much better off not playing a mario party minigame as they dodge rathians, which means in fact, other weapons are better than gunlance.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Sprite141 posted:

The other time listed is from an equally skilled player in that weapon though. And if you'd recommend people not bother with GL because the heat mechanic is distracting, you'd best tell them to not bother with LS or IG either.

Okay

Don't bother with LS or IG. Their time has passed, the dawn of adept bow and lance is upon us.

or who cares, grank is gone, this game is gonna be easy and thats okay I guess.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Ahh charm hunting

I eagerly look forward to seeing "Monster Hunter Generations" on this list
https://powersaves3ds.maximummemory.com/

e: apparently powersaves don't work for MHX/G....because it saves to the SD card and you can pop it into your computer and edit that directly :stonk: oh boy

I bought it for star knight armor months before it came here

mbt fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 13, 2016

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

keyboard vomit posted:

I don't think you understand monster hunter.

we get it dude, you want to make stuff go boom wowee zowee :c00l:

some people are curious what weapons are mechanically better, just turn your brain off for those posts, thanks

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Captain Flame Guy posted:

Not quite, you still have to use some sort of save manager using homebrew.
Not like getting that up and running is super hard or anything, but it's probably enough to make people not want to bother with that.

That's good! But also bad because I don't want to farm fish or charms, RIP

keyboard vomit posted:

Being extremely stylish is a core mechanic of monster hunter and the you fail to account for it.

you can be stylish and efficient at the same time

look at early 20th century germans

What I'm going to miss most about no powersaves is I can't hack a legit charm that would allow me to fashion hunter but still be a god :(

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

CuddlyZombie posted:

The OP says that capturing "will usually result in even more parts obtained", but isn't that actually not the case? Carving gives (usually) 3 parts, and capturing gives 2 parts, with a 69% chance to get 3 instead, but from a different pool?

capturing usually gives higher chance at rare drops

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

http://gatheringhallstudios.com/2016/07/mhgen-database-v1-0-for-android-is-now-released/

MHGen Database is out for android, it's a handy app you can look at when you're at work tomorrow hoping your amazon package gets delivered

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

god drat amazon hasn't sent shipping info yet

I'm gonna go nuts

anyone with the game: whats the amount of time/missions it takes to get to the online guildhall?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

John Lee posted:

Yeah, I thought this was canon from a couple lines or some artbook or something. The guild takes the majority of the monster, but you get first pick of parts. Naturally, you can carve them off yourself (the parts you get are the best non-destroyed parts), or if the monster was captured, the more refined dissection allows you to more easily get rarer parts.

how does the Fate skill that allows you more parts factor into this headcanon

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

so I went against best judgement and tried aerial HBG in the demo against the owl

it went really loving poorly, I dunno if its just me being rusty but none of the controls felt right and the aerial part felt like poo poo.

I went in thinking oh I'll just rebind the shoot button to a shoulder button so I can quickaim with the CPP and fire without having to move my thumb. Apparently that doesn't work?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Zodack posted:

My friend has limited money so I was hoping the free demo would be enough to convince him to get into MH. We play games together all the time so I had my hopes up, but he admitted that he simply had no idea what he was doing, even after several hunts. Which makes sense, but he decided not to get the game, so it's put a bit of a damper on today for me.

wicked same

"these controls suck"
"why isn't it on a console or PC"

some of them who are big dark souls AND grindy RPG apologists won't even touch it

I don't get it :shrug: MH owns, MHG is gonna own

My amazon package arrived, amazon has their own delivery service now and they kinda suck real hard, thoughts and prayers go out to everyone else affected by them

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

whats the SOP for playing on discord

push to talk seems real bad because of holding a 3ds, but open mic means you can hear other peoples game sounds

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

BMan posted:

What I do for VOIPing while playing monster hunter:
Using a male to male 3.5mm audio cable, connect the 3DS headphone jack to an input jack on a computer. Turn on "listen to this device" and hear both VOIP and the game through a headset connected to the computer.

huh

I think I'll use my earbuds in my 3ds and put my headphones from my computer over the earbuds

it might work but it'll be real weird!

What's the best HBG style? Aerial seems crap without a set, the one with weapon arts also seems bad, do I care about the adept roll? I guess if it's "a second weapon art" or "a dodge" I'd have to pick a dodge :sigh:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

deadly_pudding posted:

Do earbud in one ear, headset over the other ear, maybe?

earbuds in both ears, headset over both ears :shobon: I think it'll work

deadly_pudding posted:

Oh, also, with Adept HBG, you have a bunch of options when you come out of the roll. If you press X immediately, you'll go into a super-fast, long distance sprint. If you wait a second, you'll do a fast reload and get the blue glowy bonus. If you tap X after the fast reload, you'll immediately go into siege mode.

You can also roll out of siege mode in Adept.

I forgot about the roll out of siege mode, welp.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Internet Friend posted:

If your noise gate is set to anything reasonable your game sound shouldn't come through unless you're talking at the same time.

I can't hear the game sound through my bomb rear end headphones unless its turned way up

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

widespread posted:

So what's the bonus for a MH4U save? I need to know if it's worth hunting down my old SD card.

Caligold Palico (A cat)

Sunsnug Palico (A cat)

Potion x 20

Mega Potion x 10

Honey x 30

Lifepowder x 10

Voucher x 10

Baby Journal x 12 (Used to craft the baby tigrex palico armor)

Lagniapple x 10

5000 Zenny

5000 Wycademy Points (Caravan Points equivalent)

Titles: Sunsnug, Felyne, Furriend, Palico

Background: Meowster Baby

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Rascyc posted:

You can just start mh4u up once as well

yeah this, regardless of whether you just made a single character or got GR 999 its the same rewards

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I'm gonna try getting the sword saint and barrage piercings for the first time in a MH game

or die trying

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Aerox posted:

I've come back to Monster Hunter after giving 4 and Tri a go. I was terrible at Tri and gave up on it. I got about 20 hours into 4 and was finally getting the hang of it but real life made me put it down and I've completely forgotten almost everything skill-wise I learned from it.

Generations seems pretty great, but I'm already overwhelmed with the styles and even more weapons than before. I mained switch axe in 4 but it feels really, really different in this one (or more likely I just forgot how to use it) and I dropped it almost immediately. I've only done the very first gathering quest so I'm not committed at all -- what's a solid weapon+style combination that's good for someone with base familiarity with the game but never got very far in any of the previous ones? It seems like every time I play this game I end up picking a weapon that I didn't realize was way too complicated for my beginner skill level and get frustrated and give up.

guild style or adept hammer

hold r to charge twice, slam down, keep pressing a to do a golf swing

graduate to aerial hammer where you leap on a monster and bash it back to the stone age

it has two moves and it loving owns

Deviant posted:

I'm here to preach the word of the Heavy Bowgun.

what gun/armor is any good? I got the najarala with bujabujabu and it's just okay

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

What do you all prefer for hammer time, aerial or adept?

Solo I go 100% aerial, get those easy mounts and finish the quest sub 5 minutes every time. Save your meteor smash for after the mount and slam jam.

Multi I would go aerial if no one else is, but adept otherwise.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

The charge blade is like the farthest thing from "confusing" you can get. Charge phials, store phials, put phials in shield.

why use a shield?
when should I be using my phials?

how is that 'the farthest thing from confusing' when weapons like hammer are "hold r, press x three times"

Ciaphas posted:

My only problem with HBG and Bow is the insane upkeep in coatings and shots

I imagine at endgame zenny and points aren't a problem but right now 1000z+ outlay on power coatings per hunt (and that's not even enough coatings to get through the hunt) is a bit of an ask

it's not that bad, I'm HR1 guild, village 5, almost all HBG with some hammer, sitting on 40k zenny. Haven't sold any monster parts.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

it's so easy you have to watch a ten minute video to figure it out

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

are you a gamefaqs poster who stumbled onto the wrong board or can you actually not see how charge blade is really complicated

I like lance and hammer and GS because they are simple, effective, and fun.

I like HBG and bow a lot because sharpness is lame

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Hypha posted:

What defines the "gamefaq" poster? Never been there save to find numbers like motion values for FU.

"_________ is super easy are you dense"

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I just found the greatsword video from 10 years ago I remember watching

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSOi1GizEco&t=148s

it's real good, I linked to the real impressive part but the whole video displays the kind of mental calculus that makes GS a low skill floor high skill ceiling weapon.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Recommend me a longsword? I'm using a super upgraded petrified LS atm and it's pretty neat

e: uhh village 6 HR 4

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Kiggles posted:

Make whichever looks the most baller.

yeah I want to know which ones look the best, there's probably some I'm overlooking

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

tropical berries drop from cactus herb points

what a quest that was

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

FutureCop posted:

Anyway, it just seems like a rather awkward and slow gun that I'm either a) not seeing the invisible benefits of it or b) it's situational and I should only use it on certain monsters or in party play or etc. If it helps, I was using adept style to dodge, perhaps this is the wrong style to use?

Rapid fire does 70% damage with each shot
Siege fire does 100% and fires insanely fast

Adept is the correct style, it gives you the safety of LBG

Gunpowder infusion is the "best" skill because it's free damage

someone did the math for 4u (gen is unchanged mechanics other than arts and built in shots)
https://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunter/comments/33knht/lbg_and_hbg_damage_differences/

LBG and HBG do similar damage but HBG is generally higher dps because you don't miss rapid fire shots and the calculation doesn't factor in siege mode.

Set a trap + go into siege mode with pierce = the monster is going to die. HBG is "tougher" solo and really shines multiplayer where other people will be knocking the monster down and keeping it distracted. Online I would go so far as to say HBG is the better option in almost every case.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Chaitai posted:

For Melee weapons, is Aerial everything the best style? It seems to provide so much over everything else. The monsters can rarely hit you while you are flailing through the air smashing them on your way down, you typically don't lost THAT many moves for the various weapons. I guess the only thing you lose are the additional hunter arts, but I seemingly forget to use those anyways so I don't miss out on much.

I keep trying to go back to Striker SnS but keep feeling like I'd be better off mounting monsters and then stunning them while they are on the ground. What am I doing wrong in the other styles that makes Aerial feel so strong?

if you're playing solo yeah aerial is great, mounting is a ton of free damage. If you're in a party it's generally good to have only one person aerial because of the increase damage required to mount each time you do it. Plus I think maybe you can hit the other person midair?

LS is a weapon with good hunter arts that guild or striker is good for, SnS is another one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Rascyc posted:

Plenty of later game monsters will happily smack you from the air.

yeah also this, leaping doesn't have i-frames.

Well I think it does, but they are some of the least generous.

• Locked thread