Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

XMNN posted:

but then there are lots of old buildings with similar continuous use in the americas, particularly in Latin America, not sure about indigenous structures though eg when the cliff palaces in the south west were abandoned or whatever, I imagine all the genocide would have been pretty disruptive

*and in the rest of Europe obv but I don't have as much experience wandering into random villages there
Cliff dwellings are a very short lived thing, just Pueblo III. So from around AD 1150-1300, with a few in the Verde Valley in Arizona going until around AD 1400, and the Tarahumara in the Sierra Madre of Chihuahua building theirs about AD 1450 and staying in them until contact. But the famous ones are all depopulated well before the conquest. But there are some very, very old continuously inhabited villages here. Old Oraibi in Arizona and Acoma in New Mexico have both been inhabited since around AD 1000, and Zuni and a good chunk of the Rio Grande pueblos have been inhabited since around AD 1300.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pesty13480
Nov 13, 2002

Ask me about peasant etymology!

KiteAuraan posted:

You would be surprised how often I see people bring up this stuff as a Makes You Think, sort of thing. The same thing with that Ancient Aliens show. Even if they don't buy into every aspect of it I've had people talk to me about how maybe there is something to some of it.

It's on a site boasting:
We have found secret German maps leading to the hollow Earth.
Apollo 20 was a joint US/USSR project to steal alien artifacts from the moon.
Noah's Ark was a floating pyramid.
There are magic magnetic portals in the atmosphere.

I don't think anyone thinks it's credible stuff.

• Locked thread