Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

Y-Hat posted:

Did Forbidden Memories come with special promo cards? Even though I never played it, I recall thinking that it was worthless trash when I played the card game, so I don't think it did. Also at that time, I was annoyed that I never got a chance the GBA game that came after Eternal Duelist Soul- the one based on the Battle City story arc in the anime- which meant no Harpy's Feather Duster for me.

My cards are long since gone, so I can't help you there. But when it comes to a name, I'll pick Exodia. Why the hell not?

Red-Eyes Black Metal Dragon, Harpie's Pet Dragon, and Metalmorph. Notice how there's no Zoa/Metalzoa? Gotta buy Falsebound Kingdom, which was on gamecube and had Zoa, Metalzoa, and Goblin Fan (but only in the US). They had a habit of not only randomizing the cards you'd get out of a pool of 3-6 (although if there were only 3 you got all of them), changing them based on region, and making it so that if you wanted the other half of the combo one of the promo cards came with, you'd need to buy another game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Strap in boys, because we're in for a bumpy ride! As someone who still avidly plays the game, hearing those rules was physically painful.

Here's my contributions to this poo poo show:

Yami-59197169
Giant Soldier of Stone-13039848
Saggi the Dark Clown-66602787
Crass Clown-93889755
Mystic Clown-47060154
(Why are there so many god drat clown in Yugioh geez)

As for the name, I'm throwing my hat in for EpeeEm. With any luck, the constant mentioning of his name will actually end up summoning him so he can TRULY shatter this game like the awful mess it is.

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

I'm Doctor Shibbo, and this is Jackass.
Nap Ghost
I've gotta go with EpeeEm for the name. It just feels so fitting somehow.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I'm glad Giver's still LPing. Just finished catching up with the BN3 LP's ending and am glad to be on for this ride.

I played the hell out of this game when it came out. My entire strategy for the whole game was to just write down the most broken fusion combinations I had and just do that the whole game. I never actually learned the rules. Tried playing one of the DS games and it just wrecked my poo poo and that's the story of how I never played yugioh ever again.

So, card numbers I guess? I don't remember what the limits on cards are and I just remember having the gate guardian in my deck when I played the actual card game for a brief period. :shrug:
Kazejin; 62340868
Suijin; 98434877
Sanga; 25955164
Magical Labyrinth; 64389297
Metalmorph; 68540058

As for a name, tossing my hat in with whoever said Exodia because if Giver is half as good at this game he'll be winning instantly.

SkinCrawling
Oct 9, 2012

I remember playing this game with my brother when we were little kids, we tried so bad to beat it but we just couldn't.

Here's my cards:

Armored Zombie: 20277860
Axe of Despair: 40619825
Spellbinding Circle: 18807108
Stop Defense: 63102017
Machine King: 46700124

Also gonna vote for EpeeEm as it's the best choice

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

SystemLogoff posted:

Unfortunately this game has no monster effects and came out too early for my favorite card.

I ran three of these guys before they got banned then limited. If you had three in your hand you could combo them to make the enemy kill themselves if the enemy monster was strong enough.

And since it came late damage step almost nothing could stop it due to missed timing.
So what am I missing here? Is your Graveyard considered part of the field, or is there some other recursive element I'm overlooking?

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016

NGDBSS posted:

So what am I missing here? Is your Graveyard considered part of the field, or is there some other recursive element I'm overlooking?

The way I'm reading it, if you have a monster with 1200 ATK and your opponent has a monster with 2000 ATK and they fight, you can use that card to make your monster have 3200 ATK(1200+2000). Use three of them and it'll have 7200 ATK. And heavens help your opponent if their monster is even stronger.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Yep. The real nasty part about Honest is that it's a hand trap (so you can activate the effect while the card is in your hand). Which means your opponent has no way of knowing that you have a Honest in hand and they're about to smack themselves in the face, basically.

I'm fairly certain Honest isn't at 1 anymore but I could be out of touch. TG has a YGO thread these days for the actual card game, but it follows the meta and new releases rather than nostalgia chat.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

It's not like that thread is active enough to overrun any conversation you want to start. It's here, by the way.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

You're welcome to show up and start some nostalgiachat. Honest's at 2 right now I think.

giver336
Dec 28, 2013

It's time to d-d-d-d-
get murdered
All right, I'm gonna suspend card submissions from now until the next update is posted. I have a fairly big list of cards, and I wanna start putting together the next update. Here is a current pastebin of all goon submissions. It starts from the first card submission from Page 1 to Page 3. If all your cards that you submitted aren't there, then:

A) You submitted more than 5 cards and I just picked the "best" or "most favorable" ones;

B) Your card just isn't in the game;

C) A goon who posted before you already submitted that card; You can only input serials for cards once so it'd be a waste of an entry. First come, first serve.

Looks like EpeeEm won. Don't even need to tally it. Next update should be later today or by the weekend. Let's go.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Mysticblade posted:

Yep. The real nasty part about Honest is that it's a hand trap (so you can activate the effect while the card is in your hand). Which means your opponent has no way of knowing that you have a Honest in hand and they're about to smack themselves in the face, basically.

This isn't really true. If the opponent is running Lightsworn, Fairies, or really any all-Light attribute deck, you have to automatically assume that Honest is in there, and plan accordingly. The hard counter to Honest (and most other traps that work by buffing the opponent's monster) is Ally of Justice Catastor, an easy-to-summon monster that automatically destroys any non-Dark monster it battles without calculating damage. Pairing it with hand destruction can eliminate the threat of Honest in a more long-term fashion, as well.
:goonsay:

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

EclecticTastes posted:

This isn't really true. If the opponent is running Lightsworn, Fairies, or really any all-Light attribute deck, you have to automatically assume that Honest is in there, and plan accordingly. The hard counter to Honest (and most other traps that work by buffing the opponent's monster) is Ally of Justice Catastor, an easy-to-summon monster that automatically destroys any non-Dark monster it battles without calculating damage. Pairing it with hand destruction can eliminate the threat of Honest in a more long-term fashion, as well.
:goonsay:

And this is why I wanted to move on to other card games with static keywords. YGO was always generally based off of whoever had the most money to buy the most busted-rear end cards, and after a while you had to keep track of like 600 cards, sort out the 200 that weren't awful (while still keeping track of what they might be used for), then try to account for a billion possible situations. I used to just play beatdown with strong normals like La Jinn and Harpie's Brother and had fun when the game first came out. I came back like 2-3 years later and everything's mill decks and catch-22's. So I make a zombie deck so that if anything gets milled away that I wanted I can just whip it right back. And then Zombies got hit with the nerf bat, horribly. I take another multi-year break. OH MY GOD THE MILLING IS EVEN WORSE WITH SYNCHRO SUMMONING. ABANDON SHIP.

tl;dr YGO is even more busted than MTG, also screw Fairies

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Unknown Quantity posted:

And this is why I wanted to move on to other card games with static keywords. YGO was always generally based off of whoever had the most money to buy the most busted-rear end cards, and after a while you had to keep track of like 600 cards, sort out the 200 that weren't awful (while still keeping track of what they might be used for), then try to account for a billion possible situations. I used to just play beatdown with strong normals like La Jinn and Harpie's Brother and had fun when the game first came out. I came back like 2-3 years later and everything's mill decks and catch-22's. So I make a zombie deck so that if anything gets milled away that I wanted I can just whip it right back. And then Zombies got hit with the nerf bat, horribly. I take another multi-year break. OH MY GOD THE MILLING IS EVEN WORSE WITH SYNCHRO SUMMONING. ABANDON SHIP.

tl;dr YGO is even more busted than MTG, also screw Fairies

Fairy decks are the kind of deck that a minor villain would use in the anime, only to get owned when the hero pulls the exact right card to wreck them. Also, yeah, Yu-Gi-Oh is pretty busted, in much the same way as MTG, actually. That is, it's so easy for a game to be decided within just one or two turns that the old MTG joke of "the early game is shuffling your deck, the mid game is drawing your first hand, and then late game is your first turn" applies completely. And that kinda sucks, because there's a lot of cool cards that end up left by the wayside, like X-Sabers and Six Samurai. Of course, I mostly just play the last DS game, so I'm basically free to run whatever deck I want and reliably win.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Man, Giver, you really opened the floodgates with those card submissions.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

giver336 posted:

Looks like EpeeEm won. Don't even need to tally it. Next update should be later today or by the weekend. Let's go.
Can't even mourn gently caress!! because this is just so much better.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Personally, I played around the beginning of the series in the US and I stopped around early-mid GX era and came back around 5Ds. THEN I realized I had no friends and stopped playing again. And now, the game's broken beyond belief thanks to loving Pendulum summoning. I used to do a lot of High power Normals and flip-effects with a bunch of traps and the like, playing the long game with high defense monsters like Millennium Shield or Labyrinth Wall.

Not even close to being viable now, and with basically EVERY loving dueling simulator being hit by Konazi and the company that does the cards/card artwork, you can't even play it casually without spending hundreds and thousands on the cards without buying the actual games. And at best, the latest game was more or less a dueling simulator in the Xexal era, so you can't practice pendulums in the slightest.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
That said, considering this game's ties to the anime and the actual card game (either of them) are tenuous at best, it might be a good idea to set up a general policy of not going too deep into the current card game or the anime beyond what's directly related to the playthrough, just so this doesn't turn into a discourse on the show and a meta that doesn't even exist in this game.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Unknown Quantity posted:

That said, considering this game's ties to the anime and the actual card game (either of them) are tenuous at best, it might be a good idea to set up a general policy of not going too deep into the current card game or the anime beyond what's directly related to the playthrough, just so this doesn't turn into a discourse on the show and a meta that doesn't even exist in this game.

Yeah, if only because I never want to hear words like "Pendulum summoning" out of nerd mouths ever again.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Lizard Wizard posted:

Yeah, if only because I never want to hear words like "Pendulum summoning" out of nerd mouths ever again.
Ditto.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I didn't think plain text could sound nasal, but here we are.

EDIT: Holy poo poo he said "Konazi"

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Lizard Wizard posted:

I didn't think plain text could sound nasal, but here we are.

EDIT: Holy poo poo he said "Konazi"

Second time, even. Impressive.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Lizard Wizard posted:

Man, Giver, you really opened the floodgates with those card submissions.

Based on my memory I don't think he'll be able to summon a lot of them right away. You had to buy them or something, right? I think that was how they tried to stop people from just getting infinite blue eyes from the get-go. I know the later games limit your decks so harshly you can barely fit anything beyond really mediocre creatures for ages while you're fighting really well programmed decks designed to bust out super strong summoned monsters within like five turns. :shepface:

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Yeah, I remember seeing a Reshef of Destruction LP and that game is probably one of the worst YGO games made. The final boss literally cheats by having a deck capacity higher than is possible. Basically, he shouldn't be able to have the deck he has, no matter what grinding you do.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Mysticblade posted:

Yeah, I remember seeing a Reshef of Destruction LP and that game is probably one of the worst YGO games made. The final boss literally cheats by having a deck capacity higher than is possible. Basically, he shouldn't be able to have the deck he has, no matter what grinding you do.

There is so much more bullshit related to Reshef of Destruction that you haven't even touched on, man. There's:

• The fact that your life points act as a standard RPG health meter, so exiting a duel with 2000 LP means you start your next one with 2000 instead of the standard 8000. Also you can exceed that limit, but apparently the game doesn't let you start with more than 8000 despite some opponents actually having more than that. Also gently caress you if you find yourself in a duel gauntlet. I hope you don't take too much damage over the course of a few consecutive duels! There is a place you can recharge your LP if you're running low though; your PC at your house at the very start of the game.
  • The game constantly checks the field over for card effects that may or may not go off at every goddamn step of a turn. How do you like the pace of the game slowing down to a goddamn crawl because the game has to ask you over and over again if you want to activate your trap card during one attack declaration?
  • I hope you don't like deck construction because cards are ludicrously expensive for what they're worth and you gain CP at a snail's pace. Also your starter deck is loving traaaaaaaaaash.

Actually I think those are the worst things about Reshef, not counting the weird battle system that tries to be some weird mix of Duelist Kingdom and actual TCG rules. Still, that game is hot garbage and it's way too loving hard.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

Mysticblade posted:

The AI of certain characters in the games are known for cheating. In general, the AI won't attack a face-down defense position monster unless it knows it will kill it. For specific characters, though, one I can confirm is that Maximillion Pegasus in every game he's in can see your hand and all face-down monsters.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Unknown Quantity posted:

The AI of certain characters in the games are known for cheating. In general, the AI won't attack a face-down defense position monster unless it knows it will kill it. For specific characters, though, one I can confirm is that Maximillion Pegasus in every game he's in can see your hand and all face-down monsters.

Well, that last part is at least consistent with the anime, as Pegasus has the Millennium Eye, which lets him see poo poo through your eyes, including all your cards. It's a decent gimmick for a boss character, and an actual good justification for the AI cheating, whereas the rest of the AIs in most of the series have no such excuse.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

DESTINY DRAW :downsgun:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Funny thing about this game: The instruction manual begins with an in-universe letter from Pegasus, but it's signed as his Japanese name, Pegasus J. Crawford.

This confused the gently caress outta me when I was a kid.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Unknown Quantity posted:

To be slightly fair, yugioh's entire premise is based on cheating. The main character's entire magical power, is the sweet rear end gift of cheating. He outcheats the cheaters then talks about friendship and no one questions it. The only problem is that the games don't let you cheat.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Nuebot posted:

To be slightly fair, yugioh's entire premise is based on cheating. The main character's entire magical power, is the sweet rear end gift of cheating. He outcheats the cheaters then talks about friendship and no one questions it. The only problem is that the games don't let you cheat.

The revelation at the end of the original series that the whole thing where Yugi would just luckily pull just the right card he needs whenever he's up against it was literally a magic power was a pretty great plot twist, simply by virtue of the video games foreshadowing it long in advance with the Destiny Draw mechanic used in several of them. Like, most viewers just assumed it was narrative license, a bit of engineered contrivance meant to keep things interesting, but then they worked it into being an actual in-universe thing.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
I only heard of this game in myth and legend, I had no idea it was this much of a mess.

I remember I got bored with yugioh pretty quickly, it was a bit too simple for my tastes. Always wished that the defense points had been more akin to hit points and would have been relevant in both attack and defense mode. Feels like the early cards had that kind of system in mind.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Is Reshef even a real word?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Wikipedia posted:

Resheph (Rašap, Rešef, Reshef; Canaanite/Hebrew ršp רשף) was a Canaanite deity who provided protection against plague and war. In Egyptian iconography Resheph is depicted wearing the crown of Upper Egypt (White Crown),
S1
surmounted in front by the head of a gazelle. He has links with Theban war god Montu and was thought of as a guardian deity in battle by many Egyptian pharaohs. Although the iconography of Resheph shares the gazelle with that of the Egyptian-Canaanite Shed, Izak Cornelius writes that "the rest of the attributes are totally different." [1] According to myth, Resheph exerted a benign influence against disease.

:shrug: Yugioh does love it's aping of Egyptian mythology.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

That's the exact opposite of destruction. Konami probably just threw together some words that they thought sounded cool, even though that and "Nightmare Troubadour" sound more ridiculous.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Y-Hat posted:

That's the exact opposite of destruction. Konami probably just threw together some words that they thought sounded cool, even though that and "Nightmare Troubadour" sound more ridiculous.

Well, it's named after the game's antagonist, who is also a card.. The name is definitely just a random mythological name, though.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I mean slifer was named after some rando employee so

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Oh god, I remember this loving busted-rear end game. Don't you love it when games just massively change the core rules from what they're based on??

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Tunicate posted:

I mean slifer was named after some rando employee so
That 4kids executive doesn't make six figures annually just so he can be called "some rando employee," buddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Alabaster White posted:

Oh god, I remember this loving busted-rear end game. Don't you love it when games just massively change the core rules from what they're based on??

Hey, we got a couple interesting games out of Konami's experimenting.

Some better than others. Like, anything other than Forbidden Memories.

• Locked thread