Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
The 2016 College Football season will be
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
THE BEST
THE WORST
You know that kind of hurt you can't quit
View Results

• Locked thread
big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Southern Miss Golden Eagles aka Back from the ashes?

2011: 12 - 2 (Larry Fedora, left for UNC)
2012: 0 - 12 (Ellis Johnson, Fired)
2013: 1 - 11 (Todd Monken)
2014: 3 - 9
2015: 9 - 5 (Monken leaves to be the OC for the Tampa Bay Bucs)
2016: ? (Jay Hopson)

Who the gently caress knows? Jay Hopson was successful at Alcorn, which was the worst SWAC team before he got there. Jay has coached at Southern Miss before as the DC for a string of years under longtime HC Jeff Bower. He's certainly a player's coach, has the team, etc. He's a defense-first coach, which.....didn't work too well last time. However, USM does return one of the best QBs in the nation in Nick Mullens (63.5%, 4476 yds, 38/12 td/int in 2015) and a 1000 yard rusher in Ito Smith. We lose 75% of our receiving yards in our top two WR graduating. O line is a question mark. Secondary and Linebackers look great, DL looks pretty good.

Schedule:

@ Kentucky - Possible W
Savannah State - W
Troy - W
@ UTEP - W
Rice - W
@ UTSA - W
@ LSU - L
Marshall - Possible W
Charlotte - W
@ ODU - W
@ North Texas - W
Louisiana Tech - Probable W

Best Case: 11 - 1
Worst Case: Complete collapse 0 - 12 (2012 never forget)

Probable Case: Somewhere in between?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
YOUR 2016 NEBRASKA CORNHUSKERS

Fresno State - W
Wyoming - W
Oregon - L
@Northwestern - L
Illinois - W
@Indiana - W
Purdue - W
@Wisconsin - L
@Ohio State - L
Minnesota - W
Maryland - W
@Iowa - L

Most of this is just based on my gut reaction. Maybe we'll win a bowl game and hit that sweet, sweet 8 win mark.

Best case... I'd give Nebraska a chance against Oregon, Northwestern, and Wisconsin. I can't help but think, though, that if they beat one of those teams that the universe will make Nebraska lose to Illinois again.

Worst case... lose to Wyoming, Indiana, Minnesota. Wyoming sounds crazy, but I'd direct you to the 2013 Wyoming Cowboys putting up 602 yards of offense against Nebraska, so anything can happen. A 4-8 year would make Mike Riley's seat awfully hot, but I don't think he'd lose his job. Hopefully he'd lose his Mark Banker.

Seaniqua fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Aug 26, 2016

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
That Wyoming team had a pretty good QB (who has since kicked around the CFL), but then they canned Dave Christiansen and brought in our old pal Craig Bohl, who went 4-8 and then 2-10 last year. They'll probably be better but we should win comfortably.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Nervous posted:

The real question here is, can any of them effectively snap the football?

I didn't even look at this at first:
First: All that snapping trouble was just paying the price of Stanford somehow having 2 bad snaps in the second half of the Stanford-Oregon game and Oregon winning pretty much as a direct result of that
Second: Oh god we have 2 redshirt freshmen as our 2-deep for Center

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

The Western Michigan University Row-Boaters

*edit: there is an image here, but won't in-line it, so here's the imgur link

Ok, so everyone loves the "row the boat" comedy tag-line (I totally get it, I thought it was loving weird at first too), but the man gets results. He has a weird fixation on making sure you're having an "ELITE!" day, but whatever, I'm sure Saban has some hosed up peccadilloes too. He went from a dismal 1-11 season to winning the school's first bowl game last year (in the loving awesome Bahamas Bowl; go suck my dick, potato bowl). The team last year had me dreaming of MAC title (stop laughing), but this year with the disarray around the conference, it looks even better, especially since the only player we really lost had a REALLY annoying tendency to try constantly the "go backwards to get space to go forwards" thing and drove me crazy. Anyway, on with the team

@NW: It really depends on what Northwestern team shows up. Last year's NW? Probably a loss. NW from 2-3 years ago? Competitive. And really, that's what MAC schools try to do: steal wins from weaker members of P5 conferences. Probably a L, but I will be very boisterous this weekend regardless

vs NC Central: P5 plays G5, G5 plays FCS. I'll actually be at this game for my birthday, so I will be an obnoxious assholes to some poor schmucks who wonder what all the fuss is about. W

@Illinois: This looks WAY more winnable than NW, but they've got Lovie Smith there now (drat, I wanted to beat up on former WMU coach Bill Cubit). I'm hoping the Illini continue to be a hot mess, and will predict a W

vs GA Southern: They beat us last year with their drat triple option offense, I'm hoping that this year is different (or at least closer). But every time I've watched WMU play a triple option team, it ends badly. L, unfortunately

@Douchebags: Rivalry week comes early, and they can suck my scrotes. W

vs NIU: The perennial power. We lost last year to them in a heartbreaking game for me, as dumb mistakes started to pile up. But I'm feeling it, this is the year we break through the NIU wall. That said, I'll restrain my homer tendencies and at least call this one a Toss-up

@Akron: They had a decent record last year, but mostly by beating the lower tier teams in the MAC, so.... Gonna paste a W here

vs EMU: I was actually at EMU's stadium the last year before they changed it to the awful grey monstrosity (I'm sorry, "Factory") they have currently. That said, it's EMU, I think the only sport they're good at is women's volleyball? I dunno, one of my co-workers who went there said he thought that was the case. W

@Ball State: Garbage team last year, new coach this year, I feel ok calling this a W. As an aside, TUESDAY NIGHT #MACTION ON ESPN, GET SOME

@Kent State: Another TUESDAY NIGHT #MACTION, BUT THIS TIME MAYBE ON CBS FOR SOME REASON. Kent State has some issues in moving the ball, so unless the recruits they picked up are phenomenal, WMU should be able to run all over em. W

vs Buffalo: A tough team to read. I did a quick cursory looksie and didn't really see anything that stood out to me as overly scary or anything. They've been in contention for the MAC East title it seems like every season (except maybe last season), but they often did that with like 3 wins less than whatever the West champ had. No idea

vs Toledo: This team is becoming our second rival, I swear to god. Maybe most MAC teams feel that way, I dunno. We beat them last year when they were ranked in the last game of the regular season (sadly, due to tie-breakers, it only got us runner-up in the MAC West). I kind of hate them and want a win, and I know we CAN win. But they're a tough team, and it always feels like we give each other our best shot (see 2011's basketball-score loss of 66-63). Another Toss-up

Best Case: 12-1 and a Bowl win (Another Bahamas bowl would be fine with me). Figure we split that GA Southern or NW and find a way to win, plus we use our home-field advantage to win the close conference games, then we just have to beat what is likely to be a woeful MAC East champ (because they're all woeful), coach Fleck gets an offer from a major program but turns it down because he "just believes in WMU so much." Maybe a little bit of a pipe-dream, but that's what Best Case is all about!

Worst Case: 7-5 + we go to the loving potato bowl where we get lovely coats and hats and lose to Air Force again. F-- would not like to do again. The poo poo-syrup on this poo poo-sorbet is coach Fleck gets scooped up by a more successful G5 or middling P5 school that I immediately begin to hate

"Realistic": 8-4 + bowl appearance, conference game appearance would probably require Xort's divine hand, coach Fleck gets scooped up by a more successful G5 or middling P5 school who I immediately begin to hate

mercenarynuker fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Aug 29, 2016

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

mercenarynuker posted:

Gotcha G5 fam

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
OSU WR Torrence Gibson suspended for the season.

Wow, wonder what he did - also didnt he have issues in high school too?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

quote:

COLUMBUS (WCMH) — Ohio State University wide receiver Torrance Gibson has been suspended for the 2016 fall semester.

According to the OSU, Gibson, a red-shirt freshman, was suspended for the semester because of a violation of the university’s student code of conduct.

Coach Urban Meyer’s weekly press conference is scheduled for about 11:45am Monday, but it is unclear if he’ll speak about Gibson’s suspension.

If his suspension is for the semester, I'm guessing it's something academic.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Regnevelc posted:

OSU WR Torrence Gibson suspended for the season.

Wow, wonder what he did - also didnt he have issues in high school too?

He had some confrontations with teachers in high school and was been total poo poo about going to class last year for the most part.

Per my friends on campus, the rumor is basically that Torrance hooked up with his tutor and sent out a (consensual) snapchat picture of her rear end. She wanted to date him, and he turned her down. She turned him in for harassment then, and the administration hit him with the academic suspension since she was a tutor.

Normally, I'm inclined not to believe rumors, but Urban came out breathing fire about this today and publicly disagreed with the decision. If it's suspect enough that Urban is publicly commenting, I'm going to assume that there's some level of he said/she said or hearsay present, since Urbz doesn't seem stupid enough to risk that level of bad press by openly calling out the university like that without a drat good argument. If Torrance actually did harass her, then the uni made the right call, and gently caress Urban for whining about the decision being taken away from him. But that said, if the admin just did that on hearsay or he said/she said, I have to shake my head a bit, because it's just another idiotic story the MRAs of the world will point to and claim that sexual assault isn't real or an epidemic on campuses right now.

That said, totally won't be shocked if he just cheated on a test or something stupid like that since he barely was academically eligible at the last grade check.

TheGreyGhost fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Aug 29, 2016

Action Saxxon
Dec 21, 2004

Please be Baaaaack.

The Notorious ZSB posted:

I sorta wonder how far they fell in the stats from before the bowl game to after. Since they were kinda okay until Baylor ran for what felt like 1000 yards in one game on them.

Ranked No. 109 (216.8 ypg) heading into bowl season.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Action Saxxon posted:

Ranked No. 109 (216.8 ypg) heading into bowl season.

I retract my prior statement. They were clearly not kinda okay, although that's still a huge downward dip from 1 game.

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO
The Virginia depth chart has come out. And uh... we're thin. Everywhere but the backfield. ECU transfer Kurt Benkert is starting over incumbent Matt Johns at quarterback. A couple of defensive starters are out with injuries.

Things are going to get worse before they get better. If we go to a bowl Bronco should be ACC coach of the year.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
KENTUCKY WILDCATS

The past two seasons have seen fast starts of 5-1 and 4-1, only to finish 5-7 both years. The team has improved under Mark Stoops, but still hasn't cleared that bowl hurdle. Last year hurts because hopes were so high after somewhat overachieving the year before (overall, 5-7 was expected just not after that start). I want to be hyped for this year, but like most of the fan base I have a bit more tempered expectations. Still, I'm cautiously optimistic for that bowl berth.

Strengths include WRs/TEs, RBs, and the defensive secondary. QB play is mostly unknown but all indications are that Drew Barker has matured on and off the field and has become a clubhouse leader. We'll need that, but all he really needs to do is just get the ball to the talent around him. The defensive front seven is the biggest area of concern, especially with the quality of running backs we're facing this year. We also have a new OC, a dedicated QB coach, and a special teams coordinator, and everything I've heard is that there is much better chemistry between the coaches this year. Also, hopefully no more QB draws on 3rd and long.

Schedule

9/3 Southern Miss - Arguably the most important game. A loss here pretty much derails the season and fans will pretty much lose all interest. Interesting subplot - Shannon Dawson returns as OC of Southern Miss after being dismissed after 1 year at UK. Stoops has said they're watching film of themselves from last year to prepare. W

9/10 @Florida - Should have beaten them the past two years. If it didn't happen then I'm not sure I'll ever see it. L

9/17 New Mexico St - Should be easy, but this is Kentucky we're talking about. W

9/24 South Carolina - Have beaten them the past two years and I don't think that changes here, especially at home. W

10/1 @Alabama - Haha. No. L

10/8 Vanderbilt - A must win to go bowling in my opinion. After the debacle last year, there should be plenty motivation. W

10/15 BYE

10/22 Mississippi St - I want to be optimistic here. This is the kind of game where we have the talent to compete, but have wilted the past few years. I want to say we steal this one, but I also want to see how we play the first few games before really knowing what our chances are. Maybe I'm optimistic, but I really think this one could go either way. TOSS-UP

10/29 @Missouri - Another I think we need to make it to a bowl game, and one I think we should get. Still, we have a history of dropping ones like this in the past. W

11/5 Georgia - I think the RBs will be too much to stop. I've seen some predicting we could steal this game, but I don't see it happening. L

11/12 @Tennessee - This one isn't happening either. All I can hope is we're more competitive than we have been the past few years. L

11/19 Austin Peay - FCS foe. Should be an easy win, but it did take OT to beat Eastern Kentucky last year. I don't think that happens this year, and we secure a bowl with one game to spare. W

11/26 @Louisville - Another game that should have been a win last year, but we let a 21-0 lead slip away. With a bowl secure, I think we play loose and make it a game, but Louisville is too good, and it's at Papa Johns. L

Overall - 6-6 with an outside chance at 7-5 if we can beat MSU. Any bowl will appease this fan base at this point, and any bowl win would be icing on the cake. Another 5-7 season and fan interest for next year will be next to zero. Stoops' buyout is probably still too big, but another season without a bowl and it becomes that much harder to recruit to maintain what momentum we have.

GO CAYUTS!

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

paperchaseguy posted:

The Virginia depth chart has come out. And uh... we're thin. Everywhere but the backfield. ECU transfer Kurt Benkert is starting over incumbent Matt Johns at quarterback. A couple of defensive starters are out with injuries.

Things are going to get worse before they get better. If we go to a bowl Bronco should be ACC coach of the year.

I'm not holding my breath

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”
Time to review how the predictions have turned out.

TheGreyGhost posted:

Your 2016 Ohio State Buckeyes

Depth Chart

QB - JT Barrett is the unquestioned starter this year, and he's a heisman-caliber player if he's healthy. He rarely makes boneheaded throws, and his accuracy and running threat open up the passing game to its ideal level that 2014 had. There remain concerns about his arm strength/deep ball ability though. RS FR Joe Burrow is the current backup after passing for like 10,000 yards in Ohio University's backyard while playing D4-D5. He looked really good in the spring game, but he'll be challenged for the backup spot by FR Dwayne Haskins when 2-a-days start. Burrow is similar to JT, with more arm and slightly less wheels. Haskins has a fantastic arm but hasn't quite shown the same level of running ability Burrow and Barrett have.

RB - Farewell Zeke, you will be missed. SR Brionte Dunn is the elder statesman of the position, but he's in a dogfight with SO Mike Weber for the starting gig. I'm not sure that either is going to be the all-around nightmare that Zeke was to defend, but Weber is likely a slightly more complete back at the moment with a little more speed to him--more of a Carlos Hyde style that Zeke. Dunn is really talented but doesn't block as well and has some ball security issues that Urbz has issues with. Similar situation happened with Rod Smith a few years ago where he had the talent to be Beanie Wells but absolutely no brain or desire to do what Urban wanted in the offense, leading to him leaving during his senior year after his "best summer". Hopefully, Dunn lives up to his recruitment and makes this a 2-man show. FR Antonio Williams was an early enrollee and is likely getting the carries in mop-up duty. He's drawing comparisons to Carlos Hyde as well.
7/19 edit: Brionte Dunn was kicked for team rules so it's Mike Weber's show now. Williams and Curtis Samuel will likely split the backup carries.

WR - This may be the deepest position on the team in terms of raw talent, but I have no idea who gets it done here. Realistically, enough of these guys work out that it's all fine, but this is the most crowded the room has been since Urban's been here. I'll break it down for the moment.

RS SO Noah Brown - Would have been the starting X last year if not for a broken leg in the summer. He's probably the best pure receiver on the team and runs like a goddamn steamship when he gets moving. The hope is that he can fill a lot of the role Michael Thomas did last year in being the most consistent receiver on the team while occasionally masquerading as a deep threat.

RS SR Corey Smith - Goddammit. Ohio State has this fun tradition of getting a receiver with all the potential in the world who makes stupid, bonehead plays that give fans ulcers to watch. When I was growing up, it was Ginn's dropsies. Then it was the Ray Small experience watching him refuse to ever fair catch a punt and drop wide open passes. Then we had guys like Philly Brown who looked like they had never run routes in their lives until Urban came in. Then we had the magic of Jalin Marshall's freshman year as we watched him drop punt after punt while doing just enough good to stay on the field. But now, we have a 6th year senior who fits in this category.

Then there's Corey Smith. He could legitimately be an NFL receiver in terms of his speed and route running ability. He also blocks better than any receiver we've had not named Evan Spencer or David Boston. However, he has possibly the most finicky hands this side of Ted Ginn where he'll drop routine catches and timely big plays. Similarly, he's not always great at getting after the ball, to the point where he almost cost OSU the game against Oregon at least once during the championship year. I really really hope he does what the boneheads before him did and flips the switch this year, but man am I not thrilled about his as the Z receiver

JR Curtis Samuel - Urban has been drooling all over his potential since he was a true freshman, and to his credit there's maybe one guy on the roster as agile and quick as he is. He's probably not the absolute fastest guy on the team, but he's close, and that's at dangerous as the H in the offense. He'll get a lot of varied touches and some time as a returner, and if he breaks out, he could put up some Percy Harvin-style performances.

SR Dontre Wilson - The other/forgotten H who can't stay healthy. He was better than Marshall when they both got on campus, but he's had a hell of a time staying up on the depth chart. Another hybrid threat, but he's coming off foot surgery so who knows what he's got in him.

RS SO Parris Campbell - He played a lot last year but couldn't stay healthy. His hands are a bit suspect, but he's lightning quick and only like 19, so he could do a lot of damage in the right usage/backing up Smith.

FR Austin Mack - Early Enrollee who drew a lot of comparisons to Buckeye greats in terms of what he showed up accomplishing. Might have the best hands on the team. He's fast enough to win 1v1, and his routes are improving. His blocking looked good in practice, but I'll hold my breath until he's on the field. For him, it's a matter of getting enough burn to consistently play.

Others: KJ Hill got a lot of praise last year but couldn't stay healthy when needed. Johnnie Dixon flashes every year as a deep threat/burner but has grandpa knees that haven't been healthy yet in college. Torrance Gibson is a freak of nature but still fairly new to the position--to the point where you could tell me he's starting or bottom of the depth chart by the end of the year and I'd believe either. Terry McLaurin and James Clark are both burners who have dealt with injuries but are finally healthy and having good camps.

7/26 update: Noah Brown and Corey Smith have both been named as starters. This means H is what's up for grabs, likely Curtis Samuel there, but Wilson if it's not him. KJ Hill has been described as next man up at the moment.

TE - Marcus Baugh finally got his act together when blocking last year and looks like he could be the best TE that Urbz has ever had at OSU. Considering he's put Vannett and Heurman into the NFL and Jake Stoenburner close, that's saying a lot. Baugh is more athletic than any of those guys and much more gifted as a receiver, and his blocking was excellent in 2-TE sets last year. He's backed up by converted WR AJ Alexander who redshirted and is known for his leaping ability and hands as a former basketball player. No clue if he can block. They're followed by 3 true freshmen. Jake Hausmann is the best of the true frosh and will likely play a lot since he was a monstrous run blocker with solid hands.

OL: Bringing back the middle two guys for a team that runs inside zone as much as we do is very handy. C Pat Elflein could easily be the first center taken next year, and G Billy Price has proven to be a fantastic mauler on the inside. Jamarco Jones takes over for the stalwart Taylor Decker at LT, and he got a lot of experience the last couple years in clean-up. He's much quicker and more of a pass-protector than Decker which will be interesting to watch. Isaiah Prince is the favorite at RT but will be pushed by JUCO transfer Malcolm Pridgeon who is built like a freight train. Both are crazy long, mobile guys who could slide inside and pull if needed. Currently, the other G position is one of Demetrius Knox, Matt Burrell or true freshman Michael Jordan, which shocked Urban since OL is almost always redshirted here. Pridgeon is the wild card since he's already big enough to play anywhere on the line and has been hinted by Meyer to be better than we're thinking since this is the first JUCO we've taken in years.

7/26:LG is Michael Jordan's to lose according to Urbz. Meaning unless Pridgeon is absolutely incredible, that battle is over.

DE: Losing Bosa sucks, but the depth here is better than anywhere on the team. Sam Hubbard will be manning the SSDE/Viper in the defense, meaning he's going to be asked to do everything under the sun. Given that he's the most athletic guy on the DL and studied under Bosa for 2 years, I'm excited to see what he does with the opportunity. Tyquan Lewis is a more pure pass rusher, though I'm a bit worried about his moveset since he got a lot of benefit from Joey being doubled every play last year. Jalyn Holmes is the top backup and will likely see a lot of time like Hubbard did last year, given that he's good in either situational. Jonathan Cooper and Rashod Berry will likely see the field in pass-rushing situations since they're the fastest guys on the line and utterly demolished guys in the spring game. Most fans are expecting that to come in situations like last year when the 3-3-5 or some other hybrid looks got used that increased line pressure late in downs. I'm expecting a lot more rotating sub units out of the ends since there likely won't be one guy dominating playing time like Bosa did last year, meaning a lot of guys play and stay fresh late into games.

DT: Here's the position I'm most concerned about on the team. WR may have a lack of track record, but name one Urban Meyer team that hasn't been at least average in the receiving corps. DT at OSU consistently play 0-tech, 1-tech, and 3-tech and in rare circumstances 5-tech. Having Hubbard and Lewis means we probably won't see a lot of DTs sliding out to 5 this year and will probably see more DEs sliding in if anything, but it means that guys in the middle have to be really good at what they do.

Michael Hill is most likely to start at NT and has the size, quickness, and lateral ability to handle the run-stuffing and clogging needed, though he'll be pushed by Davon Hamilton who is slightly bigger with more of a motor but far less technical. Robert Landers is also in the mix though he's undersized but plays instinctively and fast. If none of those 3 are playing at the nose, it means that either the true freshman we have is amazing or we're utterly screwed.

3-tech/Rush DT is far better. Tracy Sprinkle is the current favorite to start there, and he's certainly fast and big enough, though I'm concerned about his moves since he hasn't had to play extensively and hasn't gotten a great amount of penetration. I think if any position is likely to have a starter emerge from nowhere, it'll be here. The real question looming over this position as well as SSDE is where Nick Bosa is going to play. He lined up all over the line in high school and is better than his brother was techinically at this point, with some people thinking he could move inside to a 3-tech and others (myself included) thinking he'll be splitting time between the inside and outside based on the rotations. The depth here and at SSDE means that getting him snaps is going to have to be a goal, but given that Sprinkle is unproven and there aren't a lot of great run-stuffers at DE for when subs are needed, I see him playing a lot. Dre'Mont Jones and Jashon Cornell both moved in from DE and looked completely unblockable in the spring game, but depending on what happens with Bosa and if Sprinkle is able to put it all together finally, they could be playing a bunch or not at all. They looked a bit lost in run coverage which could be a problem if NT underwhelms.

LB: All-Name MVP Raekwon McMillan returns for a second year as starting MLB and easily the best returning defender on the team. He's probably a first-rounder in 2017 and the best MLB we've had since Laurenitis at least. He's going to be in charge of a lot of the signaling and has pushed to expand the on-field reads and calls by the defense which should help the team to play a little faster against the Indiana's of the world (which my heart is thankful for). WLB Chris Worley has backed up Darron Lee the last two years and barely lost out to him for the starting job prior. He's very fast and should step into coverage just like Lee did, though I doubt he'll be the pass rusher Lee was. Dante Booker is probably the starter as SLB given that he's the most experienced and is tracks the ball very well. Jerome Baker impressed in the Spring though and will see time at either OLB spot, while Nick Conner, if healthy, will backup McMillan, and Justin Hilliard will be the third man up for garbage time.

CB: Gareon Conley was good in flashes last year but maddeningly inconsistent. If he takes the next step, we shouldn't miss Apple too much here, though I'm always worried about CB in the modern game. Marshon Lattimore, if healthy, could easily be the best corner on the team and will likely be the field corner, with Denzel Ward taking the NB and first sub spot. All three main CBs are blazing fast guys who excel in man coverage. I'm expecting a lot more corner blitzing this year as well, especially from Ward in the nickel. Damon Arnette and Jordan Fuller are the likely backups here. Cam Burrows will likely play NB in running situations/against more physical teams.

S: Malik Hooker has one spot all but locked up. He intercepted more passes in the Spring than any Buckeye. Ever. And he looked like the best secondary player in the game during Spring. If he's half as good as that, he gets it done. The other safety is likely one of Erick Smith, Cam Burrows, or Damon Webb, with the first two having the inside track at the moment. They're all great ball skill guys, though I think Smith's instincts and hitting ability get him the job. All 3 have injury concerns so the depth is a nice touch.

K: Sean Nuernberger really needs to live up to his hype. I'm tired of having bad kickers when Tressel could make literally anyone hit 85%. Cam Johnston returns for his final season and is secretly my favorite player on the team because he's the most consistent we have.

Returners: Likely Samuel, Wilson, and Gibson from what we saw in the Spring, all of whom are very very fast and agile.

Well, the depth chart held up well, and my concerns were pretty well cemented.

Offensively:
- Barrett has been good if unremarkable. He hasn't been helped by the playcalling and ludicrous rotation of receivers this year. His ball placement has gotten worse because he never knows where his receivers will be because it could be one of 8 guys at any time.
- Weber lived up to his hype and did a passable impression of Boom Herron this year. He's not as powerful as I would like, but he's been very very good.
- The crowding in the WR room hasn't gotten any better. Brown, Hill, and Campbell are unquestionably the best pure receivers, but they get rotated so much with guys like James Clark, Terry McLaurin, and Dontre Wilson that it's been really difficult getting them timed up correctly. Was spot on about Samuel. Way too many drops out of a group this talented, especially by Clark and Campbell. Corey Smith has barely played due to injury and cost the team a timeout because of his stupid mouthpiece in the UM game, so he's been bad Corey this year.
- Losing Pridgeon has resulted in the Isaiah Prince RT experience that's been plaguing the offense this year. You have to go back to Jim Bollman to find an O-lineman as bad as he was in pass protection this year, and then you're looking at like JB Shugarts. Michael Jordan, Jamarco Jones, and Pat Elflein basically mad the left side of the line incredible this year while Price has struggled from having to constant bail out Prince. This unit gets like a B- for the year
- Baugh has been very good at TE, especially blocking, but has a bad case of the dropsies. AJ Alexander looks like he could be even better if Baugh decides to leave after this year.

Defensively:
- Lewis proved he wasn't just mooching off of Joey and continued to be a very productive pass rusher while Hubbard played SSDE about as well as you can if you aren't literally Joey Bosa. Nick looks like he's going to be a clone of Joey for the next two years which has me wayyyyy too excited for what this unit can do next year. Jalyn Holmes has gotten way more playing time than expected with the rushmen package and has looked unblockable as a 4-6 tech guy. Cooper and Berry got some playing time this year and looked very talented in mop-up duty
- Hill has been really solid as a NT and stayed healthy. Hamilton has been a decent backup, but the real surprise has been Landers who plays way bigger than he has any business doing so. At under-tackle, Dre'Mont Jones took over for an injured Sprinkle and did a passable Adolphus Washington impersonation for most of the year, looking exactly like Washington did after moving inside. Cornell played some, but Bosa actually spent a lot of time as a 3-5 tech in passing downs and looked like a monster purely off of his moveset considering he was 20 pounds light for the position.
- Kwon had some great highs and some big lows this year. He's the ultimate pursuit LB, but he hasn't been what we expected at the point of attack or in coverage, meaning he's put up some gaudy tackle numbers and gets guys lined up but hasn't been an absolute game changer by himself. Worley started the year doing a Darron Lee impression but wound up playing a lot more on the weak side than expected due to the injury issues Booker had this year. Worley thrived there and became the best LB in years at cutting off backs early and shoving them to the perimeter on counters that used to kill us. Booker looked good at the Will and was a solid tackler but got hurt early and ultimately shut down for much of the season. When he went down, Baker dominated and swapped positions with Worley, taking over at SLB. With Raekwon likely to go pro and the other two guys likely a year away from leaving, I'm imagining the future of the unit will be moving Booker to MLB where he can still be a tackling machine and is more than experienced enough to call the defense. If Worley decides to leave for the draft after 1 year, I wouldn't be shocked to see a crazy battle between Justin Hilliard and Malik Harrison for that spot.
- Conley is probably a first round pick and wasn't even the best corner on the team. Lattimore looked like a freak of nature in coverage this year, and that was when people thought he might be easier to pick on than Conley. He's faster than almost everyone he matches up against, and his ball skills might actually be even better than Conley's. The nickel/dime situation was where most of the damage was done this year, with Arnette looking lost in man at points and Ward getting overconfident in his speed which led to him trying to jump some balls he shouldn't have. Arnette looks like he might be relegated to a safety conversion or boundary corner because he's a step slower than the rest of the corners. Ward looks like he'll be the next field corner and plays like a Bradley Roby clone.
- My god was Malik Hooker better than expected. He's the best safety at OSU since Mike Doss at least and may even be on the Jack Tatum level after just one year. If he comes back like he says he will, this unit is going to be terrifying next year. Damon Webb has been the worst player on the defense and has no business covering TEs as often as he's had to. In a conference that's a TE-happy as the Big 10, it's a death sentence to have an undersized safety who gets lost in man over the middle, and his tackling has been miserable. I wish Erick Smith was playing more, but his health keeps dropping out at the worst possible times. Burrows getting hurt really screwed this unit over. Jordan Fuller showed some promise that was fairly unexpected

Misc:
- Cam Johnston is the best punter in the NCAA and will make someone very happy in the draft.
- Nuernberger got hurt and ended up nailed to the bench. Tyler Durbin started out awesome but has regressed towards the end of the season after PSU and Michigan gave him the yips.
- Dontre Wilson got removed as returner for doing his damnedest to always make the worst decisions possible and constantly dropping the ball.

quote:

Schedule

09/03 Bowling Green - (99%W/1%L) We aren't losing to a MAC school at home, especially when that school has a new coach and has been running the offensive system that Cover 4 Press explicitly tries to stop.

09/10 Tulsa - (99%/1%L) See previous game since it's the same drat offense/talent.

09/17 At Oklahoma - (49%W/51%L) Reasons to have hope: Stoops in a big game, no returning secondary players for Oklahoma, they lost all their good LBs, we still have Barrett, their receivers are young. Reasons to fear: at Norman, only one returning starting DB for OSU, replacing 2 LBs, young D-Line, Baker Mayfield. These teams are really similar in terms of holes they need to fill, so I'll be curious what happens.

10/1 Rutgers - (99%W/1%L) Urban isn't losing to a former assistant at home. Much less loving Rutgers when they don't even have Carroo anymore.

10/8 Indiana - (65%W/35%L) I hate the Hoosiers. So. loving. Much. Every game we play against them, our defense forgets how to play, and it turns into a horrifying shootout that makes me more frustrated than just getting outplayed. If there's any game I think of as a trap, it's this, since the following two weeks are at Wisconsin and at Penn State.

10/15 at Wisconsin - (85%W/15%L) I don't see Urban looking past Paul Chryst right now, especially since it's in Camp Randall. New QB for them and the fact that they lost Aranda makes me feel pretty comfortable with this game.

10/22 at Penn State - (65%W/35%L) Losing Hackenberg could prove to be addition by subtraction with how poorly he fit their offense. I still think Franklin is overrated, but I have to give some credit to Saquon Barkley for singlehandedly making me scared of this game. If their OL is better/the passing game improves, this is probably really close.

10/29 Northwestern - (90%W/10%L) This is a night game in the shoe against a team who quite literally cannot pass the ball. After the prior two weeks, I would expect Urban to beat them into the ground just based on how much less there is to think about here.

11/5 Nebraska - (85%W/15%L) I don't know why anyone is thinking Nebraska suddenly pulls it together this year. They looked lost last year, and I don't think the Mike Riley passing game is going to work in that recruiting environment if he can't get a QB who's a superstar out there. Also, their defense remains a shell of its former self, and this is another night game in the shoe.

11/12 At Maryland - (80%W/20%L) Look. I'm sure Durkin will get things better than they've been, but their offense is going to be an absolute tire fire with the QBs they have coming back and the fact that every team will stack the box. There's some potential for hijinks since the next two weeks are brutal, but trap games are usually when the other team has an offense that can score at will and mediocre defense.

11/19 At Michigan State - (70%W/30%L) They'll be a very good team, but no Connor Cook and a young receiving corps makes me feel a lot better about this. Urbz called the worst game of his career last year, and that was barely a win for Sparty, so the revenge factor gives me some confidence as well. I'm also not sold that their secondary is what it was a few years ago and think there could be some vulnerabilities there. Their safeties didn't cover well, and I wonder about the speed of their corners. Still, Dantonio is a scary man.

11/26 Michigan - (65%W/35%L) I'll probably take some poo poo for this, but the fact that no QB emerged in the Spring is a huge driver here. Whether it's O'Korn, Speight, or Morris, that's an offense that needs a new identity and can't have bad QB play to function. Their running game was decent, but I'm not scared of any back on the roster as opposed to the receivers/Jake Butt. Defensively, they'll be pretty stout, but I'm not sold on the secondary outside of Lewis or D-line to the point that I'm sweating bullets. Their LBs scare me some, but Peppers is the only one I think can't be totally neutralized with effective play action/screening.

Pretty much nailed this. I didn't give PSU quite enough credit, and I gave OU too much.

quote:

Outlook:

Ceiling- 15-0 national champions and big drat heroes. It's been done before, and bringing back a QB and not much else hasn't been prohibitive before. The talent on this roster is absurd, and Urban deserves that level of respect as long as he's coaching.

Floor- 10-3, 9-4. Barrett gets hurt or the playcalling stays mediocre. No RB or consistent WR emerges. The D-line has a down year, and the secondary gets picked on as a result giving up huge plays to spread teams on the schedule. Still likely good enough for 3rd or so in the Big 10 East and a mid-level bowl.

Likely - 12-2 Big 10 Champions or East Runners-up. I won't be shocked if the Big 10 misses the playoff this year given that the 3 best teams in the conference are all playing in the same division. Iowa will probably be good again, but I don't think there's another run like they just had in that team given the amount of surprise and shock needed to pull it off prior. I think we make a new year's six bowl and run roughshod over some poor bastard just in time for JT to announce he's coming back for his senior year and people to realize this team only graduates 6 guys and will lose maybe a handful to the draft.

This team is in a similar place to the start of 2014. The real question is whether they pick things up as quickly as that team did or need another year before getting things moving again.

TBD obviously, but the likely scenario is pretty much spot on, albeit with a strong Big 10 rather than a weak one

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

DJExile posted:

This continues to be one of my favorite gifs :allears:

Your Bowling Green State University Falcons

God I miss those uniforms so much.

Good lord this is going to be a tough season. New coach, new defensive formation but same players, almost an entirely new offense.

KEY LOSSES:
Coach Dino Babers
Literally 75% of 2015's offense to the NFL (QB Matt Johnson, WR Roger Lewis, RB Travis Greene) or transfer to Bama (WR Gehrig Dieter).

KEY RETURNS
Entire O-line
QB James Kanapke
WR Ronnie Moore
RB Fred Coppett

2016 Schedule
9/3 @ Ohio State - L - OSU is replacing drat near everyone but that's not going to matter. There's the slightest prayer we make this interesting since there's zero pressure, but god drat it's a shame we don't have last year's team. Fun fact, this is the first time Urban has faced Bowling Green since he coached there. This is likely going to be a pretty loose and sloppy game since both teams are replacing so many starters, but the most I really expect here is to cover.

9/10 vs. North Dakota - W - BG's never looked past an FCS opponent. A helpful game to get the new offense worked out.

9/17 vs. Middle Tennessee State - W - This should be a really fun one. MTSU had a spectacular QB and WR last year and they were only freshmen. Odds are this is going to be a track meet but we should still out-gun them.

9/24 @ Memphis - Toss-up - BG and Memphis played an instant classic last year, with Memphis pulling it out late. This year both QBs and coaches are new. I have no idea here.

10/8 @ Ohio - W - Ohio's been the 2nd best MAC East team for years, but the gap between them and BG is gigantic. The last 3 games have been BG wins by a combined score of 142-37, including a 49-0 crushing. Their defense has always been pretty good but they have never really found an offensive identity.

10/15 @ Toledo L - gently caress TOLEDO gently caress TOLEDO gently caress TOLEDO gently caress THIS 6 GAME GODDAMN LOSING STREAK gently caress TOLEDO it'sgoingtobe7gamesgoddamnit :sigh: I want to say this is a toss-up since they're replacing their head coach as well but christ on a crutch they have had our number for years and I have no faith. Also gently caress that sad-sack road sign trophy. UT can keep it.

10/22 vs. Miami (OH) - W - God bless Chuck Martin, he's got an enormous task to handle at Miami, and they're slowly finding an identity, especially on defense. The rebuild there is going to take a drat long time though.

11/1 @ NIU - Toss-up - BG hasn't played NIU in the regular season in like 6 years, but have faced them in the last 3 straight MAC Championships. Weird. They're in a similar reload/rebuild status right now.

11/9 @ Akron -W - This is likely going to be closer than I'd prefer. Akron has quietly improved over the years, step by step, but the school is a huge mess and there's only so much Terry Bowden can do.

11/15 vs. Kent State W - Kent actually is the last MAC East time with a win over BG, back 4 years ago. Paul Haynes is an awesome guy and I'd love to see him get Kent back to respectability, but like Chuck Martin at Miami, he's got a long way to go. Defense has improved but there's still no offense.

11/25 vs. Buffalo - W - The famous Black Friday game in front of a double-digit audience! This game may determine the MAC East champion if we haven't locked it up.

BEST CASE SCENARIO - James Kanapke has been here before, and while he can't scramble and gun-sling nearly as well as Matt Johnson (and few could), he's still a very accurate pocket passer, and bringing back the entire O-line is a godsend. Mike Jinks finds his stride and keeps a high-powered offense clicking, if not at the same absurd rate it went last year. Revenge on Memphis. Break the losing streak to UT. Go back to the MAC Championship. Win MAC Championship. Win a bowl game nobody will watch. 11-2 + bowl win.

WORST CASE SCENARIO - We come crashing back to earth after a frankly insane 2015. Injuries hurt the line and the offense sputters. Miss the MAC Championship for the first time in 3 years and lose a bowl game nobody will watch. 7-5 + bowl loss.

MOST LIKELY SCENARIO - Despite the 2015 personnel losses, the cupboard isn't empty. Jinks did a world class job in a short time to get some Texas and Florida recruits, including a goddamn 6'5" safety. Hyped up redshirt QB James Morgan eventually either takes the job from Kanapke or becomes part of a 1a-1b setup. Lose a heartbreaker to Toledo. Get back to the MAC Championship by the skin of our teeth but fall to MAC West winner. Go to a bowl game nobody will watch. 9-4 + bowl win

HAHAHAHAHAHA :suicide:

This was a disaster that turned into.... well not quite salvaged but at least kinda hopeful. I hadn't realized just how green Jinks' staff was. Everyone under him was either a position coach, or QC/GA. These guys were so out of their depth in the first 6-7 weeks it wasn't funny. Kanapke was a mess. Morgan took over and for a new guy he could chuck it around pretty good. Holy poo poo the run game emerged out of nowhere in the Akron and Kent games. Joe Davidson is a world class punter.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Dec 1, 2016

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Real Name Grover posted:

gently caress it, doing Nebraska just so I can laugh at it come December

9/3 Fresno — We played Fresno away a couple seasons ago and they didn't even show up, but their supposed constant blitz D has gotten a lot of press here because our O-line is on the young side, so this one could be interesting but a win is a Win
9/10 Wyoming — Quite down right now; W
9/17 Oregon — Not gonna bother with tossups and Oregon is kinda down so gently caress it, W
9/24 @Northwestern — Home field means dick in this sort-of budding rivalry (well, in that the games have tended to be interesting) and will depend on x-factors and poo poo, but you know what? W
10/1 Illinois — Really, really shouldn't have lost this game last year, and never mind that I'm basically predicting a lack of dumb poo poo (thus far), but still W. I have no ill will toward Illinois but Lovie still seems like a strange fit here.
10/15 @Indiana — Oh poo poo! Nebraska is 5-0?! Has Riley basically 180'd the Huskers in his seco--- L in a 50-something to 50-something affair
10/22 Purdue — W See: Illinois (and, again, no ill will toward Purdue either but I bet there's a solid chance Hazell is a lame duck by now)
10/29 @Wisconsin — L because I have a hard time seeing us win in Madison for the forseeable future, even if things are down in Madison
11/5 @Ohio State — L Three days before election day? I might as well go on a bender
11/12 Minnesota — W And I won't think about Mitch Leidner again until some NFL team drafts him waaaaaaaay too early
11/19 Maryland — W :geno:
11/25 @Iowa — L Can we play this game in a literal blizzard already though

So that's the 8-4 a lot of folks seem to be predicting. I like Tommy Armstrong, I really do, but this year may go down in history as kind of a wash, I reckon. We've got two QBs in town more suited for the type of O Riley/Langsdorf want to run, and another committed. Basically the mid-aughts again but not such a severe gear shift.

Wow, aside from Indiana (which we barely pulled out), I kinda nailed this. Except I didn't go on that bender in early November, which I regret.

Plus

Ungratek posted:

I'd be very surprised if Nebraska even keeps it close with Oregon

:glomp:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Sash! posted:

There's zero chance of doing better than 10-2

I win?

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Korranus posted:

Expectations - By my percentages, 9-3. That assumes losing one of Oklahoma and Louisville, one of Cincy and Navy, and the usual Houston head-scratcher. 9-3 will make a lot of people ask what the hell happened.

Nailed it, except instead of losing to Oklahoma they lost to Memphis, and SMU fills the head-scratcher requirement. Lots of people asked what the hell happened, and what the hell happened was Tom Herman went to Austin.

quote:

Playoff Field - Alabama, Stanford, Michigan State, Clemson
National Champions - Alabama over Stanford
Piggly Wiggly Champions - Alabama
G5 rep - Houston
Heisman winner - Christian McCaffery, Stanford
Big 12 expansion list - Cincinnati, Memphis, Temple, UConn

This, not so much.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Thermos H Christ posted:

Texas gonna win probably like 7 games with a precocious child and an affable Frankenstein monster battling it out for snaps at QB, plus some real good RBs, a somewhat improved OL and an actual solid wide receiver corps for the first time in a while.

Somehow we couldn't get to 7 wins. Small child and Frankenstein monster did indeed take turns at QB. had one REALLY good RB and another good one who went down early. OL was improved, WR's were better but still dropped like infinity passes that would have probably been game-changing TDs.

quote:

Our D is going to be pretty decent against the pass and pretty vulnerable to the run. Getting off the field on 3rd and manageable will continue to be an issue.

Holy poo poo our D was terrible against both the pass and also the run. On every down, 3rd and 4th being no exception.

quote:

This team is super young, but it's also finally starting to feel like Charlie Strong's team. It will be a rollercoaster, and we will absolutely turn in some dogshit performances, but it should be fun as long as we don't do anything as stupid as firing Charlie Strong.

Yeah, about that...

quote:

The fun part is that there is not one game on our schedule that feels unwinnable if we happen to get our poo poo together that week, and only UTEP and Kansas feel like wins we can take for granted. Basically anything can happen any week.

Hahahaha we beat Notre Dame and lost to Kansas

quote:

Next year, though. Everyone best watch their backs next year.

I mean, maybe?

Thermos H Christ fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Dec 1, 2016

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

MourningView posted:

Iowa Hawkeyes

Iowa is coming off a magical season where they started 12-0, came within seconds of winning the Big Ten and making the playoff, and went to the Rose Bowl (where I'm sure they did fine; I was drunk). It made no sense at the time and still makes no sense in hindsight. This year they return the bulk of that team, but obviously a perfect regular season is...unlikely. In fact, there's a very good chance that they're actually a better team this year, but take a step back in the win column as their luck regresses in close games (see also the 2005 and especially 2010 seasons). That's football.

Depth Chart

Offense

QB One of the biggest reason to feel optimistic about this season is that Iowa brings back CJ Beathard, who was one of the best QBs in the conference despite playing pretty much the entire season with what was probably a fairly serious sports hernia and hip injury. At the start of the season Beathard was a mobile QB who could get out on the edge and made teams pay with his feet as much as with his arm (shown off most notably in the Iowa State game). But he was badly hobbled in conference play and became mostly a pocket passer. He'll probably have worse turnover luck this year, but he still has a great arm that can fit passes into impossible windows, and if he's healthy he could add 400-500 yards on the ground. On the whole I think he gets a littttle overrated because of the record last year and because people were desperate to move on from the incredibly boring Rudock era, but he's still arguably the most talented QB Iowa has had during the Ferentz era.

RB One of our deepest positions even after losing Canzeri. LeShaun Daniels is probably the starter. He's constantly hurt and I think the staff overvalues him a bit (they're still in love with the idea of a big power back because of Shonn Greene), but he still had his moments when the was healthy, especially against Minnesota. In my opinion the real potential star is Akrum Wadley. He had two games last year where he got a starters workload. In the first he absolutely destroyed a very good Northwestern defense for over 200 yards and 4 TDs, and in the second he went over 100 against Indiana. He's small but he has great balance, vision, and quickness, and seems to have solved the fumbling problem that plagued him as a freshman and got him glued to the bench early last year. He seems like he's doing a good job adding weight and earning more trust from the coaching staff too. Hopefully he gets more consistent touches this year, and I'd love to see him more involved in the passing game. The third back is Derrick Mitchell, who looked great as a third down back in his first year playing the position. He looked good when we actually gave him the ball last year, so I'd love to see a bigger role this season.

WR Ugh. Tevaun Smith wasn't a superstar, but he was a guy with the ability to make a big play and we're really missing that with the current group as it stands right now. Matt Vandeberg is solid in the "scrappy white possession receiver" role but after that it's ugly. Jermaine Smith had one big game against Illinois last year as a true freshman but otherwise didn't do anything, and beyond that it's a lot of question marks. Adrian Falconer cracked the depth chart as a true frosh, which is impressive, but had all of one catch. Jay Scheel was a big time recruit but has struggled to stay healthy and hasn't played. Ryan Boyle showed flashes in spring, but he's making the transition from QB. Jonathan Parker is fast but was a running back until last year. I have no idea what will happen here.

TE Henry Kreiger Coble is a big loss but I think we'll be okay here. George Kittle was really good last year with 300 yards and 6 TDs as the second TE. He's a great athlete and has turned himself into a good blocker. I expect him to be a safety blanked for Beathard and challege for All Big Ten. Beyond that it's a big question mark, but I think we'll figure something out. We usually have solid TE play, and there's some talent there. Jon Wisnieski was a 4* recruit, Peter Pekar was a walkon but has gotten series camp buzz the last two years, and incoming Freshman Noah Fant is super talented if a little raw.

OL I think it's getting overhyped in the media. It's not one of the best lines in the country, but it should be solid again. Blythe and Walsh are big losses on the inside, but Iowa returns a ton of guys with starting experience (partially because the line was really banged up last year). Sean Welsh played mostly guard last year and moves over the center where he'll be the rock of the OL. He was very good last year (even playing tackle against Northwestern and dominating) and should be one of the best interior linemen in the conference this season. LT Cole Croston and LG Boone Meyers are both former walkons, but they're both good athletes who have had 4-5 years in the Iowa program to develop, and both saw time as starters last year (Meyers was the starting LT to open the season before getting hurt, losing his job to Croston, and moving inside). Ike Botteger is huge and held his own as a sophomore in his first year as a starter last year. And James Daniels, if he gets healthy, is one of the most talented players on the team. He was a big time recruit with offers from everywhere and forced his way into the rotation last year as a true freshman. All five guys saw significant time on a team that went 12-2, and offensive line in the one position where I trust the coaches to develop whoever they throw in there.

Defense

DT Jaleel Johnson is a star. He finally got significant playing time after biding his time behind Carl Davis for three years and was all Big Ten. He should be a relatively high draft pick next year. Next to him, Nathan Bazata was okay but nothing special last year, but he was in his first year getting any playing time and was only a sophomore. I expect he'll improve. I also expect Faith Ekakitie to get significant playing time. He was a big time recruit who hasn't been able to find a consistent role, but he finally showed flashes last year. He could be in for a breakout season as a senior.

DE Nate Meir graduated and Drew Ott got really hosed over by the NCAA and sadly did not get a 6th year, so this is an area of concern going into the season. Parker Hesse fought last year but he was so tiny for the position at 215 pounds or so. He was only a sophomore so hopefully he's added some weight. Matt Nelson probably gets the other starter spot and he's a guy I've always been really intrigued by. He looks more like a basketball player at 6'8" or so, but by all accounts he's the best pass rusher on the team and did okay last year when he got playing time. If he's managed to add some bulk to go with his height he could be a breakout guy for the team. I don't expect us to have much of a pass rush this year again, but hopefully these guys at least hold their own.

LB Should be one of the better units in the Big Ten. Josey Jewell has a strong cases as the best linebacker in the conference and he was only a sophomore in his first year as a starter last year. He does a little bit over everything. He's a tackling machine, a surprisingly effective blitzer, hits like a truck, holds his own in coverage, and is just generally always in the right place. Next to him we return Ben Neimann, who was really solid last year as (yet another) first year starting sophomore. He's really good in coverage and plays the AJ Edds role of linebacker who is asked to constantly cover WRs and still holds his own. The third starter is still up in the air, but will probably be RS Soph Aaron Mends. He's absolute freak athlete who has put up crazy weightroom numbers and had a lot of buzz last year. He played a litttle bit (mostly as a pass rusher on third downs to take advantage of his speed) and looked really promising. He reminds me a lot of Anthony Hitchens. If he doesn't play it'll probably be Bo Bower, who isn't anything special but does have quite a bit of experience, having started for pretty much the entire 2014 season.

CB The starters are arguably the best in the country. Desmond King is a fourth year starter who has been great from the moment he got to campus, and won the Thorpe award last year while tying the school record (amazingly still held by Nile Kinnick) for INTs in a season. The INTs will go down, which will inevitably make people view him as a disappointment, but he's still an elite college cover corner and the best tackler I've ever seen at CB. Next to him Greg Mabin is a third year starter who has been overshadowed by King his whole career but is a really solid coverage guy in his own right. I could see him getting some pretty good INT numbers with teams trying to pick on him a lot. After those two there...isn't much. Maurice Flemming was the nickle last year but he transferred looking for a chance to start. Josh Jackson looked pretty good for a freshman last year and gets raves from the coaches (he had pretty much already passed Flemming for the third CB spot) so hopefully he'll slide into the nickle role and continue to develop. Beyond that I don't know. Hopefully King and Mabin stay healthy.

S Miles Taylor played pretty well last year in his first as a starter. He had some hiccups in coverage, but he was really good in run support and hits hard. He's still young so he has a lot of room to improve. We'll be breaking in a new starter at FS with Jordan Lomax graduating, and it'll probably be Brandon Snyder, who is the next in a proud Iowa tradition of white walk-ons who become starting safeties. He's been getting a lot of buzz behind the scenes the last couple years so hopefully that works out. Those guys somehow usually do.

ST Des King is a great return guy. Beyond that I have no idea. We're going to have a brand new kicker and punter. I'm very scared.

Schedule

Miami (OH)- Chuck Martin is a good coach but they've been pretty awful lately, should be our easiest W

Iowa State- Ugh, gently caress this series. Should be a win, but that's always the case. I'll say W because Iowa State's roster is still pretty depleted and it's at home but I don't feel great about it. Matt Campbell is good.

North Dakota State- Probably a W but why the gently caress would you ever schedule this team? So dumb. At least Wentz is gone.

Rutgers- Significantly less scary that North Dakota State W

Northwestern- They should have a good defense again and they can't possibly be as bad on offense as they were last year. They'll be out for revenge after getting embarrassed last year too. I'll say W because we're at home, but it's probably a toss up.

Minnesota- Games at Minnesota have been a horror show recently and they've done really well against us ever since hiring Kill. Toss up but I think this is the first L. Hope I'm wrong. I hate losing the Pig Game.

Purdue- Purdue football is so sad W

Wisconsin- Should be a close game again, and we get them at home which is cool, but I'll still say L Their defense won't be as good but their offense should be better. They probably should have beaten us last year.

Penn State- On paper a good game but I feel weirdly good about this one. They lost quite a bit defensively and their offense doesn't really scare me at all aside from Barkley. Even though I think they made a good coordinator hire. Wouldn't be a shocking loss by any means but I still say W

Michigan- I would love to beat Harbaugh, but nah. That defense is gonna be terrifying L

Illinois- They gave us a good game last year but that was with CJ at one of his lowest points health wise. Lovie was a good hire but it'll take him a couple years. W

Nebraska- They lost a ton of talent up front on both sides, which was probably their biggest strength last year. The bowl performance worries me a little bit because they seemed to finally figure out how to use Armstrong, but it was also counter to what Riley tends to like to do, so we'll see if he sticks with it. Close game but I'll say W if only so I don't have us going 0-fer in our Big Ten trophy games.

So that'd put us at 9-3, which would make a lot of people mad but seems about right. They bring a ton back but last year was magic and something you can't recreate. Somewhere between 8-10 wins feels like the most likely result, but I wouldn't be shocked with 7 or 11 either. Iowa football under Ferentz is always just a few plays here and there from either a special season or a middling bowl.

Mostly did okay with this I guess? I was only a win off overall but had the losses wrong. I thought we'd lose to Michigan, Minnesota, and Wisconsin and was only right about Wisconsin. I hated the NDSU game but figured we'd win and had NW as a toss up. Way off on Penn State, I didn't think they were going to be very good at all.

In terms of players, Beathard had a terrible season but it wasn't totally his fault. He had genuine pocket presence issues but there's a stark difference between his numbers before and after he lost VandeBerg. Without him we had probably the worst WRs of any power 5 team. Kittle was hobbled a lot too. We also were missing our two best olinemen for an early chunk of the year and it never really got fully healthy. I was right about the oline being overrated and WR being the biggest trouble spot. Nailed it on Wadley being a star although that wasn't hard to see. Didn't see safety being the disaster it was.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Dec 2, 2016

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Duckaerobics posted:

Auburn

Key losses:
O-line, LB, WR

Strengths (supposedly):
D-line, RB/HB, Secondary

Question marks:
Quarterback - Who will start? Are they good? Can they stay healthy for a whole season?
Linebacker - Little depth, Grad transfer and some young guys that will hopefully step up.
WR - Very young, but highly ranked receivers. Several upperclassmen that have not really produced.

Schedule

Clemson - 40% - I think it will come down to Auburn's Defense containing Watson. If that happens I think it comes down to Auburn's young receivers against Clemson's young corners. Being at home plus the possibility that the hype gets to Clemson gives Auburn a chance. Watson and Auburn's tendency to start slow hurts them.

Ark St. - 80% - Malzahn's old team. I think they show up and give Auburn a good game, but I think Auburn wins this one.

TA&M - 70% - Auburn ran the ball easily against A&M last year. If that continues then they have a shot. It could come down to how A&M's new QB plays though.

LSU - 40% - LSU should have a good team this year. They embarrassed Auburn last year, so I expect them to be more prepared for Fournette. If they can contain him like teams were at the end of last season it will come down to Harris.

ULM - 99% - Should be an easy win.

@Miss St. - 60% - First away game of the season. The media picked them to finish ahead of Auburn this year, but I think losing Prescott hurts them enough for Auburn to win.

Arkansas - 60% - Back at home against a team they came very close to beating last year. I think they will be good, but Austin Allen in his first year wont be as good as Brandon in his last.

@Ole Miss - 50% - They lose a lot, but Chad Kelly is still a really good QB. This combined with playing them at home after what will probably be a tough game against Arkansas makes it a toss up to me.

Vandy - 70% - This would typically be an easy win, but they are starting to get an offense together. This should be a low scoring game and that could send it either way.

@Georgia - 60% - I think Auburn wins this, but it's basically a toss up. Having it at the end of the year helps Auburn some if UGA can't keep a RB healthy, but it gives their young QB time to get settled. Auburn probably should have won last year and didn't, hopefully that gives them an edge.

Alabama A&M - 99% - Should be an easy win. Will be looking ahead to the Bama game.

@Alabama - 40% - Bama's defense should continue to be good, but I think their offense takes a small step back. Auburn kept it close against a Bama team that was much better than them last year so I expect it to at least be close this year.

Best Case
10-2, Auburn gets a win against one of Clemson/Bama and a loss to one of LSU/UGA/Ole Miss.

Worst Case
6-6, Continued issues at QB lead to another disappointing season.

Predicted
8-4, Auburn beats either Clemson or Bama, but loses a couple of games they should have won.

I was pretty close on this. Swap the expected win percentage on aTm and LSU, and Auburn had a shot to beat Clemson in the opener.

I did not expect Auburn to be second in the SEC and going to the Sugar bowl after an 8-4 season though.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

mercenarynuker posted:

Ok, so everyone loves the "row the boat" comedy tag-line (I totally get it, I thought it was loving weird at first too), but the man gets results. He has a weird fixation on making sure you're having an "ELITE!" day, but whatever, I'm sure Saban has some hosed up peccadilloes too. He went from a dismal 1-11 season to winning the school's first bowl game last year (in the loving awesome Bahamas Bowl; go suck my dick, potato bowl). The team last year had me dreaming of MAC title (stop laughing), but this year with the disarray around the conference, it looks even better, especially since the only player we really lost had a REALLY annoying tendency to try constantly the "go backwards to get space to go forwards" thing and drove me crazy. Anyway, on with the team

@NW: It really depends on what Northwestern team shows up. Last year's NW? Probably a loss. NW from 2-3 years ago? Competitive. And really, that's what MAC schools try to do: steal wins from weaker members of P5 conferences. Probably a L, but I will be very boisterous this weekend regardless

vs NC Central: P5 plays G5, G5 plays FCS. I'll actually be at this game for my birthday, so I will be an obnoxious assholes to some poor schmucks who wonder what all the fuss is about. W

@Illinois: This looks WAY more winnable than NW, but they've got Lovie Smith there now (drat, I wanted to beat up on former WMU coach Bill Cubit). I'm hoping the Illini continue to be a hot mess, and will predict a W

vs GA Southern: They beat us last year with their drat triple option offense, I'm hoping that this year is different (or at least closer). But every time I've watched WMU play a triple option team, it ends badly. L, unfortunately

@Douchebags: Rivalry week comes early, and they can suck my scrotes. W

vs NIU: The perennial power. We lost last year to them in a heartbreaking game for me, as dumb mistakes started to pile up. But I'm feeling it, this is the year we break through the NIU wall. That said, I'll restrain my homer tendencies and at least call this one a Toss-up

@Akron: They had a decent record last year, but mostly by beating the lower tier teams in the MAC, so.... Gonna paste a W here

vs EMU: I was actually at EMU's stadium the last year before they changed it to the awful grey monstrosity (I'm sorry, "Factory") they have currently. That said, it's EMU, I think the only sport they're good at is women's volleyball? I dunno, one of my co-workers who went there said he thought that was the case. W

@Ball State: Garbage team last year, new coach this year, I feel ok calling this a W. As an aside, TUESDAY NIGHT #MACTION ON ESPN, GET SOME

@Kent State: Another TUESDAY NIGHT #MACTION, BUT THIS TIME MAYBE ON CBS FOR SOME REASON. Kent State has some issues in moving the ball, so unless the recruits they picked up are phenomenal, WMU should be able to run all over em. W

vs Buffalo: A tough team to read. I did a quick cursory looksie and didn't really see anything that stood out to me as overly scary or anything. They've been in contention for the MAC East title it seems like every season (except maybe last season), but they often did that with like 3 wins less than whatever the West champ had. No idea

vs Toledo: This team is becoming our second rival, I swear to god. Maybe most MAC teams feel that way, I dunno. We beat them last year when they were ranked in the last game of the regular season (sadly, due to tie-breakers, it only got us runner-up in the MAC West). I kind of hate them and want a win, and I know we CAN win. But they're a tough team, and it always feels like we give each other our best shot (see 2011's basketball-score loss of 66-63). Another Toss-up

Best Case: 12-1 and a Bowl win (Another Bahamas bowl would be fine with me). Figure we split that GA Southern or NW and find a way to win, plus we use our home-field advantage to win the close conference games, then we just have to beat what is likely to be a woeful MAC East champ (because they're all woeful), coach Fleck gets an offer from a major program but turns it down because he "just believes in WMU so much." Maybe a little bit of a pipe-dream, but that's what Best Case is all about!

Worst Case: 7-5 + we go to the loving potato bowl where we get lovely coats and hats and lose to Air Force again. F-- would not like to do again. The poo poo-syrup on this poo poo-sorbet is coach Fleck gets scooped up by a more successful G5 or middling P5 school that I immediately begin to hate

"Realistic": 8-4 + bowl appearance, conference game appearance would probably require Xort's divine hand, coach Fleck gets scooped up by a more successful G5 or middling P5 school who I immediately begin to hate

So we basically hit my dream scenario (besides the bit regarding Fleck, that's still TBD), but I got soooo much wrong in being kind of right. NW was close, GaSo was not. NIU, while a better team than their record, was beaten soundly. Eastern was the surprise breakout hit of the season and I can't stay mad at them, especially since we beat em. Buffalo was hot garbage on nationally televised GameDay (to the chagrin of folks in Pullman and every other P5 still waiting for that honor), and Toledo was surprisingly easy to beat. No Xorting required for the conference championship, although the G5 invite would be less stressful if Navy did us a solid and lost to Temple this weekend. If we go to Dallas, win, and somehow hold onto Fleck, I'll basically cream my pants on New Year's day

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh posted:

Your 2016 Iowa State Cyclones.

Sept 3rd: UNI Win. The Campbell experiment starts 1-0
Sept 10th: @ Iowa Loss. Though it is in Iowa City and Iowa is supposed to be good this year which historically has meant an upset.
Sept 17th: @ TCU. Loss.
Sept 24th: San Jose State. Win. Though somehow this will be a hilariously bad loss with half the starters going down to injury.
Oct 1st: Baylor Loss.
Oct 8th: @ Oklahoma State Loss
Oct 15th: @ Texas Loss
Oct 22nd: BYE .
Oct 29th: Kansas State Loss. The wizard doesn't lose to Iowa State.
Nov 3rd: Oklahoma Loss. This will be me by halfway through the 2nd quarter.

Nov 12th: @ Kansas Win
Nov 19th: Texas Tech Loss
Nov 26th: WVU. Win, mostly just because predicting a win will piss off Andichu.

4-8 sounds about right.

3-9, so off by 1. Though I didn't expect us to lose to an FCS school but stomp Tech in to the ground.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

General Dog posted:

Texas Aggies

Probable Wins - Prairie View A&M, New Mexico State, @ South Carolina, @ Mississippi State, UTSA [4-1] Actual: 4-1
Toss Ups - UCLA, @ Auburn, Arkansas, Tennessee, Ole Miss [2-3] Actual: 4-1
Probable Losses - @ Alabama, LSU [0-2] Actual: 0-2

6-6, probably with a ceiling of 8-4, and a possibility of 4-8 with a lot of bad breaks. 6-6 Sumlin is probably fired, any better than that any he gets another year, but not with a lot of bitching from the fans.

We went 4-1 in the games I figured to be toss-ups, but two of those wins were overtime squeakers, so I'm going say I was on the right track here. We were better than 6-6, Sumlin will not be fired, and there is indeed a lot of bitching from the fans.

General Dog posted:

Baylor Bears

Probable Wins - Northwestern State, SMU, @ Rice, @ Iowa State, Kansas [5-0]
Toss Ups - Kansas State, Oklahoma State, @ Texas, Texas Tech, @ WVU [3-2]
Probable Losses - TCU, @OU [0-2]

Let's say 8-4, with the possibility of going on an all-timer of a "gently caress you" season and going like 10-2 in probably their last decent season for a while. Once again their season is incredibly back loaded, with a strong chance of starting 6-0 before they get to the tougher half of the conference.

With a back-loaded schedule and severe depth issues, Baylor's late season swoon was predictable, but I had held out hope that the meltdown wouldn't be as total as it's been.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 1, 2016

Will Styles
Jan 19, 2005

Will Styles posted:

Schedule

Sept 3 vs N Arizona (W): Annual FCS cupcake
Sept 10 vs Texas Tech (?): This game seems winnable, however if the secondary hasn't improved much Mahomes may rain bombs on us all day
Sept 16 @UTSA (W): Not too familiar with UTSA but I don't think we'll have an issue here
Sept 24 vs Cal (W): Cal's replacing QB and all receivers in a Sonny Dykes offense. They may be good but I'm not sure if they will be by this point in the season
Oct 1 @USC (L): We're too young to compete here. OL will get owned all game
Oct 8 vs UCLA (L): We're too young to compete here. OL will get owned all game
Oct 15 @Colorado (W): Colorado is almost out of the dunpster, but until proven otherwise I'll always mark this as a win
Oct 22 vs Washington St (?): If we can fix the secondary issues we'll have a chance here. Pressure on the QB against air raid usually works pretty well
Oct 29 @Oregon (L): We almost beat them last year, and I don't think they'll be stellar this year, but we haven't won in Autzen in forever so that'll probably continue
Nov 10 vs Utah (L): We're too young to compete here. OL will get owned all game
Nov 19 @Washington (L): We're too young to compete here. OL will get owned all game
Nov 25 @Arizona (W): We'll probably be pretty even with UA this year, but I'll never say they're gonna beat us.

If we split the tossup games we'll end up 6-6 which seems about right. Best case is we're 8-4, worst 4-8.

Pretty close. Colorado was better than expected and UCLA wasn't very effective switching to the pro-style. We laid an egg against Arizona, worst game Todd Graham has had.

Overall, as pessimistic as I was coming into the season I think we were worse than I thought we were going to be, mostly in part due to injuries (QBs 1-3 all going down was not very good). If the rest of the conference weren't also having a down year this could have been ugly.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I don't know how, but my expectations of 4 wins for the Bobcats were too high.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

D.N. Nation posted:

Your 2016 Georgia Bulldogs!

My case:
7-5. Year 2 is where it gets good for the Kirby Administration.

Good on the first half, hopeful for the second.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

3 losses was an unforgivable, worst case scenario

Go noles

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Prediction: So all-in-all I have Georgia going.....10-2

They're going 7-5. Book it.

:smug:

:smith:

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

KENTUCKY WILDCATS

The past two seasons have seen fast starts of 5-1 and 4-1, only to finish 5-7 both years. The team has improved under Mark Stoops, but still hasn't cleared that bowl hurdle. Last year hurts because hopes were so high after somewhat overachieving the year before (overall, 5-7 was expected just not after that start). I want to be hyped for this year, but like most of the fan base I have a bit more tempered expectations. Still, I'm cautiously optimistic for that bowl berth.

Strengths include WRs/TEs, RBs, and the defensive secondary. QB play is mostly unknown but all indications are that Drew Barker has matured on and off the field and has become a clubhouse leader. We'll need that, but all he really needs to do is just get the ball to the talent around him. The defensive front seven is the biggest area of concern, especially with the quality of running backs we're facing this year. We also have a new OC, a dedicated QB coach, and a special teams coordinator, and everything I've heard is that there is much better chemistry between the coaches this year. Also, hopefully no more QB draws on 3rd and long.

Schedule

9/3 Southern Miss - Arguably the most important game. A loss here pretty much derails the season and fans will pretty much lose all interest. Interesting subplot - Shannon Dawson returns as OC of Southern Miss after being dismissed after 1 year at UK. Stoops has said they're watching film of themselves from last year to prepare. W

9/10 @Florida - Should have beaten them the past two years. If it didn't happen then I'm not sure I'll ever see it. L

9/17 New Mexico St - Should be easy, but this is Kentucky we're talking about. W

9/24 South Carolina - Have beaten them the past two years and I don't think that changes here, especially at home. W

10/1 @Alabama - Haha. No. L

10/8 Vanderbilt - A must win to go bowling in my opinion. After the debacle last year, there should be plenty motivation. W

10/15 BYE

10/22 Mississippi St - I want to be optimistic here. This is the kind of game where we have the talent to compete, but have wilted the past few years. I want to say we steal this one, but I also want to see how we play the first few games before really knowing what our chances are. Maybe I'm optimistic, but I really think this one could go either way. TOSS-UP

10/29 @Missouri - Another I think we need to make it to a bowl game, and one I think we should get. Still, we have a history of dropping ones like this in the past. W

11/5 Georgia - I think the RBs will be too much to stop. I've seen some predicting we could steal this game, but I don't see it happening. L

11/12 @Tennessee - This one isn't happening either. All I can hope is we're more competitive than we have been the past few years. L

11/19 Austin Peay - FCS foe. Should be an easy win, but it did take OT to beat Eastern Kentucky last year. I don't think that happens this year, and we secure a bowl with one game to spare. W

11/26 @Louisville - Another game that should have been a win last year, but we let a 21-0 lead slip away. With a bowl secure, I think we play loose and make it a game, but Louisville is too good, and it's at Papa Johns. L

Overall - 6-6 with an outside chance at 7-5 if we can beat MSU. Any bowl will appease this fan base at this point, and any bowl win would be icing on the cake. Another 5-7 season and fan interest for next year will be next to zero. Stoops' buyout is probably still too big, but another season without a bowl and it becomes that much harder to recruit to maintain what momentum we have.

GO CAYUTS!

Predicted 6-6, or 7-5 if we beat Mississippi St, so I was pretty much right on in that regard. The only two games I didn't predict right were the first and last. I never would have thought after losing to Southern Miss that we would have been going to a bowl, but not only did we get our 6 wins, we pulled a major upset at Louisville to go 7-5 with what sounds like a pretty good chance of going to the Gator TaxSlayer Bowl. Add in a last second loss to Georgia and we were very close to being 8-4. Honeslty that loss I think hurts the most in hindsight. We were driving for a score but stalled and had to settle for a field goal to tie with a minute left, plenty of time for Georgia to get in field goal range for the win. A touchdown on that drive puts you up 4, and the psychology of needing a field goal to win or else you tie is a lot different from a touchdown or lose scenario. As for Louisville, that was probably the best win we've ever had against them. The only thing that could have made it better is if they had beaten Houston and it was a loss to Kentucky that knocked them out of the playoffs.

Stoops has to be in consideration for SEC coach of the year after that turnaround. The coaching staff not only had to adjust what started out as an awful defense, but deal with the starting quarterback going out with a season ending injury. Stephen Johnson stepped in and only got better as the year went on. Add in the emergence of Benny Snell, who rushed for over 1000 yards despite not playing the first two games, and another 1000 yard rusher in Boom Williams, and we transformed from trying to be an air raid offense to a ground and pound, and were super successful at it.

I don't think I've ever witnessed this much excitement over football this late in the year, especially considering how dominant the basketball team has been so far. There's already excitement for next year too, with Louisville, Florida, and Tennessee all at home and trading Bama for Ole Miss as the cross division opponent. That might be a little premature, but after the disappointing endings of the last two years it's hard to blame this fan base for that.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Oh dear god here we go...

Maxwells Demon posted:

Oregon Football: No, we don't know if the magic is gone either

Well now we definitively know.

quote:

Oregon returns a buttload of great skill players, including Royce Freeman and Taj Griffin at running back. 6 OL with playing experience return, including 3+ starters.

No one cares about any of that. Oregon last year was super-Oregon: QB play was the only thing that mattered, and the defense was terrible. So the questions for this year are: will QB play improve and will the defense stink less?

No to both.

quote:

I don't know, and I don't expect anyone else knows. We have a new Defensive Coordinator (anyone would be better than Pellum it seems) and a new FCS transfer QB but this one passed his math classes so he's been able to work with the football team for longer than 2 weeks. So this is posted with the idea/hope that Oregon can get decent QB play from Prukop or the players they actually recruited.

UC Davis: W - An FCS Dust-Up has happened for our first game ever since losing to LSU in 2011.
Virginia: W - Hoping it's a repeat of 2013 with a 59-10 result.
Nebraska: W - Oregon has a 7 win winning streak against Mike Riley coached teams. Can't break the streak now.
Colorado: W - Colorado's getting better but not this quickly
Wazzu: L - Requisite early October loss that shakes Oregon fans to their core. Hopefully a shootout instead of a blowout.
Washington: W - Call the loss to Wazzu a look-ahead problem, but Oregon better prepare for this one and better win it.
Cal: W - Sonny Dykes might be gone by this point, either his choice or the University's
Arizona State: W - Man, Arizona State lost a lot this offseason
USC: ? - No idea on this one. It is going to be maddening probably.
Stanford: L - Really hope Stanford doesn't represent the Pac-12 North again this year but they probably will
Utah: ? - They destroyed us completely last year. Nobody seems to think they're good this year. More likely that Utah will beat us than USC will.
Oregon State: W - Goddamn we better win this.

Regular Season: Between 8-4 and 10-2 sounds like such a large range that it's spineless, but the big questions for Oregon don't seem to be answered so let's go ahead with that.

Bowl Prediction: Some bowl in Texas against a Big 12 team

Completely off. gently caress 2016.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Incoherence posted:

Worst case: 3-9 (take one of those probable wins and toss it in the dumpster because Bailiff doesn't have them ready to play one day). Bailiff convinces the AD that this is a fluke (it's not) as whatever momentum our new facilities might have provided evaporates.
Missed on UTEP and North Texas (both close games), and we took one of my toss-up games against Charlotte. Everything continues to be terrible. Bailiff is still the coach, although evidently next year is bowl game or bust.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

Stoops has to be in consideration for SEC coach of the year after that turnaround.

Both Stoops and Mason did a great job fixing their own messes, so I'd honestly give it to Muschamp, no really!

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

RumbleFish posted:

Best case scenario: 6-6 with a bowl bid would be huge for this team and especially for Muschamp.
Worst case scenario: 3-9 again. With this schedule, I don't think we can do any worse than 2015, but it's certainly possible we have an encore.
Likely scenario: I'm gonna go with 5-7. I think we'll show improvement because we essentially didn't have anyone coaching this team last year, but we just don't have the depth to be an overnight success story.

Didn't quite nail it, but close enough. I didn't call the Tennessee upset and I thought we might snap our losing streak to UK, but otherwise I sorted our opponents into the appropriate W/L categories. Solid, encouraging season with a very young and inexperienced roster that arguably had less talent than 2015's 3-9 squad.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Real Name Grover posted:

Wow, aside from Indiana (which we barely pulled out), I kinda nailed this. Except I didn't go on that bender in early November, which I regret.

Plus

:glomp:

Good for you buddy :11tea:

Virginia was real bad so I nailed that prediction

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

Scionix posted:

Alabama Crimson Tide

Best Case

Undefeated, CFP champions.

Worst Case

Drop 3 of the five to Ole Miss/Tenn/Auburn/LSU/USC. Nine and three. Offense is so bad the defense can't carry them. All the quarterbacks suck.

Predicted

11-1 regular season, possible CFP playoff contender. Probably drop 1 of Ole Miss/LSU/Tenn due to offense making GBS threads the bed. SEC west champions.

Oh hey I was right who would've thought psyche IM ALWAYS loving RIGHT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Scionix posted:

Oh hey I was right who would've thought psyche IM ALWAYS loving RIGHT

The most boring prediction in sports right now.

Bama is 12-1 at worst, 13-0 usually. Rinse, repeat.

• Locked thread