Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
The 2016 College Football season will be
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
THE BEST
THE WORST
You know that kind of hurt you can't quit
View Results

• Locked thread
Will Styles
Jan 19, 2005
Holy cow, football is only 18 days away and I forgot to do one of these :(

2016 Arizona State Sun Devils

Last Year: 6-7, 4-5 in conference

Last year was supposed to be our year. Experience everywhere and the QB was a 5th year senior with some real good play from the year before. Alas, the defense gave up a million big plays and the offense couldn't get anything started.

Key Losses:
Offense: Everyone? We're losing QB, 4/5 O-line, 3/4 Top receivers
Defense: Secondary
Coaching: OC Mike Norvell + 4 assistants

Looking at the losses I don't know how we're going to be able to win any meaningful games this year. Hopefully the new coaches will be able to work some magic

Returning:
Offense (4 returning): Running back is really our only position of strength on offense, Richard and Ballage might be top 10 RB tandem this year.
Defense (8 returning): The front seven for ASU is looking pretty solid and if we have any shot of wining games this year it'll be with pressure up front.

Position Notes

QB – Two way race between Manny Wilkins (mobile QB) and Brady White (pocket passer). Wilkins has a year of experience on White and honestly the offense works better with a mobile QB. My guess is that Wilkins will start but Graham won't announce a starter till the week of the first game.

RB – Richards and Ballage were pretty good last year, 1000+/700 yards respectively, and with a new QB and O-line we'll be focusing on the run so they could both get over 1000 yards this year.

WR – Losing 3/4 of our top receivers but there's hope that the people replacing the starters will be able to produce. Tim White is expected to make a big improvement this year, Cam Smith is returning from injury, N'keal Harry is a top recruit that may play as a freshman.

TE – Kody Kohl added about 30 pounds over the summer to supplement his pass blocking, already a pretty good receiver I expect he'll contribute a lot this year.

OL – Returning only 14 starts this group is young. Biggest area for concern heading into the new season

DL – Most of the guys up front can get after the QB and we finally have some depth here. JoJo Wicker is looking real good out of spring ball, he should get a lot of TFLs and sacks this year.

LB – The LB corps was pretty good last year and just about everyone returns.

DB – Replacing 3/4 here but since we gave up so many big plays last year (last of P5) maybe that's a good thing. Hopefully the front seven can get more pressure this year so we don't have to send corners and safeties on blitzes

Schedule

Sept 3 vs N Arizona (W): Annual FCS cupcake
Sept 10 vs Texas Tech (?): This game seems winnable, however if the secondary hasn't improved much Mahomes may rain bombs on us all day
Sept 16 @UTSA (W): Not too familiar with UTSA but I don't think we'll have an issue here
Sept 24 vs Cal (W): Cal's replacing QB and all receivers in a Sonny Dykes offense. They may be good but I'm not sure if they will be by this point in the season
Oct 1 @USC (L): We're too young to compete here. OL will get owned all game
Oct 8 vs UCLA (L): We're too young to compete here. OL will get owned all game
Oct 15 @Colorado (W): Colorado is almost out of the dunpster, but until proven otherwise I'll always mark this as a win
Oct 22 vs Washington St (?): If we can fix the secondary issues we'll have a chance here. Pressure on the QB against air raid usually works pretty well
Oct 29 @Oregon (L): We almost beat them last year, and I don't think they'll be stellar this year, but we haven't won in Autzen in forever so that'll probably continue
Nov 10 vs Utah (L): We're too young to compete here. OL will get owned all game
Nov 19 @Washington (L): We're too young to compete here. OL will get owned all game
Nov 25 @Arizona (W): We'll probably be pretty even with UA this year, but I'll never say they're gonna beat us.

If we split the tossup games we'll end up 6-6 which seems about right. Best case is we're 8-4, worst 4-8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Will Styles
Jan 19, 2005

Will Styles posted:

Schedule

Sept 3 vs N Arizona (W): Annual FCS cupcake
Sept 10 vs Texas Tech (?): This game seems winnable, however if the secondary hasn't improved much Mahomes may rain bombs on us all day
Sept 16 @UTSA (W): Not too familiar with UTSA but I don't think we'll have an issue here
Sept 24 vs Cal (W): Cal's replacing QB and all receivers in a Sonny Dykes offense. They may be good but I'm not sure if they will be by this point in the season
Oct 1 @USC (L): We're too young to compete here. OL will get owned all game
Oct 8 vs UCLA (L): We're too young to compete here. OL will get owned all game
Oct 15 @Colorado (W): Colorado is almost out of the dunpster, but until proven otherwise I'll always mark this as a win
Oct 22 vs Washington St (?): If we can fix the secondary issues we'll have a chance here. Pressure on the QB against air raid usually works pretty well
Oct 29 @Oregon (L): We almost beat them last year, and I don't think they'll be stellar this year, but we haven't won in Autzen in forever so that'll probably continue
Nov 10 vs Utah (L): We're too young to compete here. OL will get owned all game
Nov 19 @Washington (L): We're too young to compete here. OL will get owned all game
Nov 25 @Arizona (W): We'll probably be pretty even with UA this year, but I'll never say they're gonna beat us.

If we split the tossup games we'll end up 6-6 which seems about right. Best case is we're 8-4, worst 4-8.

Pretty close. Colorado was better than expected and UCLA wasn't very effective switching to the pro-style. We laid an egg against Arizona, worst game Todd Graham has had.

Overall, as pessimistic as I was coming into the season I think we were worse than I thought we were going to be, mostly in part due to injuries (QBs 1-3 all going down was not very good). If the rest of the conference weren't also having a down year this could have been ugly.

• Locked thread