Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
A friend from a former job is getting married in a few weeks and I dont really want to go. It'll kill a whole goddamn weekend and I'll probably have to buy some bullshit wedding gift.

Now I realize not attending is considered "bad" but how bad? Like, "wish you could have made it" bad? Or "gently caress you bitch" bad?

Goons, what do you think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The only reason I ask is because everyone complains about having to go to weddings when they have the option of skipping .... it seems like skipping a wedding is a grave insult otherwise more people would do it??? IDK , goons please advise

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
depends if theres an open bar or not

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

jackyl posted:

depends if theres an open bar or not

There will be but it's like a 2 hour drive

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
you're missing out if you skip a wedding.

they always have free food and good chances to get laid.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Unless someone's a regular part of your life it's nbd to stick a couple twenties in a card and call it a day (sending them the card is optional but generally considered polite)

housefly
Sep 11, 2001

I do everything in my power to skip weddings. 99% of the time I'd rather hit the ceremony and skip the reception because no one needs to do the loving chicken dance or electric slide with a stranger and I can afford my own meal/drinks.

I would have skipped my own wedding but we kept it super small and I probably would have been missed.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

A friend from a former job

Using the qualifier "from a former job" with friend would seem to indicate you're not very close with this person and you should feel no obligation to attend their wedding.

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
related question: i got invited to a baby shower but i have no idea what it is

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
If you're single maybe you can gently caress a bridesmaid or two

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

A friend from a former job is getting married in a few weeks and I dont really want to go. It'll kill a whole goddamn weekend and I'll probably have to buy some bullshit wedding gift.

Now I realize not attending is considered "bad" but how bad? Like, "wish you could have made it" bad? Or "gently caress you bitch" bad?

You didn't RSVP already did you? If not you can get out of it, just send a gift if you want to remain "friends" with this person (if you can take advantage of that friendship for your career or something in the future)

its always a good idea to be polite to old work friends

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Did you RSVP? Cause if you did and you bail, doesn't the overpriced food they paid for you go to waste?

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Go you basement dwelling shitlord.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
lol its the first time the OP has ever been invited to anything in his life what a stupid rear end in a top hat

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
the ceremony's always boring as poo poo, but it pays off in the end when everyone parties and get fat.

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Enfield posted:

its like a golden shower but with babies instead of piss

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Enfield posted:

could use a heads up on this as well

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
go, because they might have rare pokemon to catch there

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
if the couple ate heavy drinkers then go otherwise maybe not. ive had some really great times at weddinds! im a huge prick

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Enfield posted:

an excuse to drink for the women close to the future mom. i guess they usually "shower" the mom with gifts since she can't drink too haha

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

go, because they might have rare pokemon to catch there

If they don't drop like 10 lures then it would be extremely rude to the guests giving up their pokemon hunting time to attend.

client
Aug 19, 2010

go and get really drunk then dance with your friend's grandma

if it's a dry wedding then feel free to skip it cause the dude isnt worth being friends with anyway

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

client posted:

dry wedding

:yikes:

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ
OP you can make it into a big deal if you want

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe
if its got booze, food, and cake then it's worth it

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

CISMALES DID 9-11 posted:

OP you can make it into a big deal if you want

hey nooner

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

im not nooner i just glide

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

glide in,

glide out

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

glide in,

glide out

calm down nooner

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

it depends how good a friend and how good an excuse you have

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
im about to rsvp for a wedding 2000 miles away OP

stfu

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

dad gay. so what posted:

calm down nooner

>:|

|:<

thats my angry head spinning all the way around

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

>:|

|:<

thats my angry head spinning all the way around

oh sorry i was talking about you in another thread that nooner started so i assumed he was you. p8

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Pawn 17 posted:

Did you RSVP? Cause if you did and you bail, doesn't the overpriced food they paid for you go to waste?

Yeah it's expensive and you're basically hosed when people bail on an RSVP. If you pull that poo poo you need to follow up with at least a $100 check for a wedding gift.

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

client posted:

go and get really drunk then dance with your friend's grandma

I'm guilty of this except it was his aunt and not grandma.

It was fun but I know I made a big rear end of myself.

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

dad gay. so what posted:

oh sorry i was talking about you in another thread that nooner started so i assumed he was you. p8

nah i just stopped posting for a while because ppl talked about bernie sanders too much

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

nah i just stopped posting for a while because ppl talked about bernie sanders too much

ah well wb

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

thx

OP are you going to update this thread with whether or not you are going to this wedding ?

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

im about to rsvp for a wedding 2000 miles away OP

stfu

See this is what Im talking about ... you always hear about having to attend inconvenient weddings because it seems like skipping it is just not an option

I suspect that not attending weddings is a bigger faux pas than anyone is willing to admit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

thx

OP are you going to update this thread with whether or not you are going to this wedding ?

Of course friend ... I'm leaning towards not going and I think "work" will be my excuse

• Locked thread