Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
i backhanded my girlfriend for being a slut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Of course friend ... I'm leaning towards not going and I think "work" will be my excuse

just send them a card with some money in it

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Gaunab posted:

i backhanded my girlfriend for being a slut

i now pronounce you man and strife

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

client posted:

go and get really drunk then dance with your friend's grandma

if it's a dry wedding then feel free to skip it cause the dude isnt worth being friends with anyway

Junior Jr. posted:

the ceremony's always boring as poo poo, but it pays off in the end when everyone parties and get fat.

Good advice here. Also when you go, announce your arrival by shouting your SA name. Bonus if they have someone that's already announcing the guests as they arrive :haw:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
how is a wedding 2 hours away going to kill the whole weekend? drive up, get smashed, drive back in the am

but whatever it's not that big of a deal duder, if you're not in the wedding party it's fine.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Just toss em a 20 dollar gift card and with an excuse, and tell them soon enough so they have enough time to invite another person in your place.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
If it's not a close friend/family member then you can skip it. +1 to "give them $20-$40 bucks and your excuse."

Enfield posted:

related question: i got invited to a baby shower but i have no idea what it is

The idea is that the guests are supposed to "shower" a first-time mother-to-be with gifts to prepare her for motherhood. Bring a cute onesie or stuffed animal or something, then enjoy the refreshments while trying not to die of boredom.

E: I assume you'll be bored because most guys are bored by women-centric activities like baby showers.

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jul 14, 2016

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
Only if you want them to come to your own wedding OP. That way you'll get your money back

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
my friends set me and a bridesmaid up and paired us up all cute-like in the wedding party and thats how i met my wife in 2006, just sayin'. Could be fun. Bring a weed brownie or smth

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof
don't laugh in the face of fate op

Jonny 290 posted:

my friends set me and a bridesmaid up and paired us up all cute-like in the wedding party and thats how i met my wife in 2006, just sayin'. Could be fun. Bring a weed brownie or smth

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Invite the loving couple to a ceremony to dedicate your new cumsock, with a 1 week RSVP.

Only bother to reply to theirs if they reply to yours first. And only "come" if they'll be "coming."

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
Just go. Weddings are fun. Book a hotel room so you don't have to drive back. Drink enough at the open bar to cover the cost of your gift. Feel up a bridesmaid.

It's NBD to skip a friends wedding. They're just nice.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
congrats on being a forums member for one month BIG DICK BUTT gently caress

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Pththya-lyi posted:

If it's not a close friend/family member then you can skip it. +1 to "give them $20-$40 bucks and your excuse."

The idea is that the guests are supposed to "shower" a first-time mother-to-be with gifts to prepare her for motherhood. Bring a cute onesie or stuffed animal or something, then enjoy the refreshments while trying not to die of boredom.

E: I assume you'll be bored because most guys are bored by women-centric activities like baby showers.

why do you even invite men to them

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan
If they're not a close friends and you're single, you'll never see them again once they're married anyway.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

why do you even invite men to them

Traditionally you don't, and I personally wouldn't invite a man who wasn't specifically interested in feminine things to a shower, but I guess Enfield's woman friend likes him enough that she wanted to include him in this special time in her life.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Of course friend ... I'm leaning towards not going and I think "work" will be my excuse

no no no

you have to have an incredibly specific but bizarre reason to miss it to really get away with the lie

like, your dart team is in the big darts championship that weekend

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

no no no

you have to have an incredibly specific but bizarre reason to miss it to really get away with the lie

like, your dart team is in the big darts championship that weekend

No no no, don't just out and out lie, just keep insisting you "just can't" to anyone who asks, no matter how persistent they may be

That way they might assume you've got some terrible and/or exciting personal thing going on, and think you're more interesting than you actually are

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
I Considered skipping a friends wedding last summer because he was marrying his dopey high school sweetheart and they had already broken up a dozen times in the years since high school.

But I sucked it up and went and had a blast, got drunk at the bar, got high with the groom, got real on the dance floor and got down with my date. Weddings are as fun as you make them (same goes for everything)

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
gently caress weddings thats my fresh take on the situation

pain in the rear end all around

dont get suckered in by an open bar either - booze isnt that expensive

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Weddings rule and if you describe them as a "pain in the rear end" perhaps it is you that is the pain in the rear end. I think skipping them should be fine though, just tell them you can't go and mail some amount of money based on how good of a friend they are/whether or not you're bailing after rsvping

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Enfield posted:

related question: i got invited to a baby shower but i have no idea what it is

A baby is a small, infant human, usually less than 2 years old. Hope this helps.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I did two weddings already as an usher as a kid and a groomsman later. Im done forever participating. Attending is fine as long as im broke and they know it otherwise ill probably pull some larry david poo poo about not wanting to support something i know will fail

If people matter at least attend and shed your close friends down to 1 or 2 so the number of times you're asked to be a groomsman will for sure be low.

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy
weddings are awful and boring. skip it

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

There will be but it's like a 2 hour drive

2 hour drive. gently caress you and go.

My cousin lives 45 minutes away, her husband lives in the same town, and they both decided to have their loving wedding at a random church in loving ITALY.
A grand and a half per person it would have cost, and thats not including spending money. In the end only one person per family went, maybe two.
Most of us turned that poo poo down, no wedding is worth that unless there are blowjobs or cocaine at it.

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

happyhippy posted:

2 hour drive. gently caress you and go.

My cousin lives 45 minutes away, her husband lives in the same town, and they both decided to have their loving wedding at a random church in loving ITALY.
A grand and a half per person it would have cost, and thats not including spending money. In the end only one person per family went, maybe two.
Most of us turned that poo poo down, no wedding is worth that unless there are blowjobs or cocaine at it.

the presumption there is appalling, gently caress them

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
i didnt go to my sisters wedding because i had to work and shes a oval office

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I skipped a wedding for someone who used to be close because literally I'd have to travel 6 hours to and back, and gently caress that.

I am a terrible person though so maybe not OP.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Pththya-lyi posted:

Yeah; for close friends and family -- people you love and see often -- you should absolutely go. For more distant family you don't see very often, you might also have to go...depending on how tightly-knit or insanely grudge-holding your family is.

What you do with every other wedding invitation comes down to whether you like parties or not, and how much time/money it'd take for you to go. Love a good party? Then yes, RSVP and get your rear end there for the drinking and the food and whatever. Don't give a poo poo about parties? Then tell them you're sorry that you won't be able to attend, and if you want to make a nice gesture, send along a small gift. (Just remember when they're getting married, because you don't want to be the kind of rear end in a top hat who says he can't be there and then posts pictures of himself playing Pokemon at the local park that day or whatever.)

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
ive attended 8 weddings in the past two years

go forth and gently caress

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

nothing wrong with skipping a wedding unless there are precious few minutes before the inevitable divorce. so go if you think it'll last for life.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
lmfao "dry wedding"

that might actually be the definition of hell on earth

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
If he has so little going on that he notices you're not there, it must not be a very important wedding to him either.

Then again, I once blew off a wedding where I was supposed to be best man.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I don't remember anyone flat out not showing up to my wedding that I expected to show up, but one person who did RSVP "yes" texted me last minute that he could no longer make it. He was just a work acquaintance so his lack of presence didn't annoy me but we already paid for his and his date's plate which sucked. But then I get a card in the mail from him and it had like $200 in it which was very kind considering he could have just dicked me. After getting the card and gift I wasn't annoyed because he covered his plates and then some, which I appreciated.

If you RSVP'd yes you should go. It's pretty hosed up if you don't. However, if you don't want to go that badly, just make up a decent excuse and STILL SEND A CARD BECAUSE HE AND SHE ALREADY PAID FOR YOU. However, if this is some kind of wedding where there was no RSVP for it then absolutely you do not have to go and you aren't obligated to send a gift. I wasn't offended at all by people who RSVP'd "no" (most also wrote why they couldn't on the RSVP which I appreciated as well).

Keep in mind my experience is coming from the northeast USA and we make a huge deal out of weddings. I've heard other than California and Florida, no where else in the country do people make a huge deal out if weddings so take all this into consideration.

Also people very rarely go to the ceremony if they aren't close friends. Like maybe one third of the people who go to the party actually go to the church.

Anyway you haven't told us if you RSVP'd to this thing and that is really important.

I do recommend you go though, especially if the booze is free (I've never been to a dry wedding or where they charge for alcohol for the guests but again I was in wedding central of the country when I got married). They are a great place to meet women or even just friends and the food is usually good too, and free beer.

If you already have a gf it might be a fun weekend getaway. But anyway to wrap it up, if you RSVP'd yes and don't go and don't send a gift, it's kind of a big deal. Just go, leave a gift, make sure you get in a few photos and then bail if you really want to. But I bet once you're there you will want to stay.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
Will you be my player 2????!!!

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS
Tell him you promise you'll be at the next one, OP.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I skipped a friend's wedding because he asked me to be the best man and retracted it after he told his fiancee and gave it to one of his friends she liked better. They don't talk to me much anymore.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Weddings optional; funerals mandatory

Tonsured
Jan 14, 2005

I came across mention of a Gnostic codex called The Unreal God and the Aspects of His Nonexistent Universe, an idea which reduced me to helpless laughter. What kind of person would write about something that he knows doesn't exist, and how can something that doesn't exist have aspects?
I went to a wedding where only three other people showed up. Man.

Edit: millennials really are a nice bunch don't worry you will be very well taken care of in your elderly years because you old folks invested so much time and love into making sure they had every opportunity. Man. I love mankind.

Tonsured fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jul 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Buck Turgidson posted:

lmfao "dry wedding"

that might actually be the definition of hell on earth

So the last wedding i did was dry and yeah pretty much.

Edit: buut i brought a xanax and Vicodin and popped em in the bathroom before

• Locked thread