Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
What do you mean me?

I don't have an apostrophe in my name. :smugbert:
I do not know this Macy's you speak of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

housefly posted:

Hi. Cis-male identifying as homosexual (currently) reporting in. I play Pokemon go in local restrooms in support of homeless post-op transgendered teens. I was wondering if this Macy's guy would play infinite warfare with me. Thanks.

While I'll still buy it (for CoD4), I genuinely might skip the multiplayer for Titanfall 2's. I'm getting really, really tired of CoD's consistently broken matchmaking... and their de-emphasis on cover penetration in this last go-around; which has always been one of my favourite aspects of the franchise.

I want some new bugs to bitch about. And a new(er) game engine to make fun of.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jul 15, 2016

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

housefly posted:

I hadn't realized from the nightly sessions that you were displeased with the lack of cover penetration (I'm chacha)

Really? I've been complaining about it since launch.

I don't know if the devs are just missing various bits around the map, but there's a lot of spots in areas under constant fire that- visually speaking, should allow my future bullets to punch right through.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Leeked MP footage of a melee kill in CoD:iw::

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Eqpc7E5tu4

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Games > Call of Duty: Infinity - Your CoD is Dead in Outer Space

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIHnzYMDkWM

I dig the taste of salt, but it won't keep me alive.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Agreed. I just can't be bothered getting interested over CoD's imaginary future poo poo; all that matters is their stats, and since it's science fiction, it can be whatever Activision wants them to be.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Let me see if I can get this straight: Everyone is suddenly up in arms now (instead of, say, after the Modern Warfare 4 Ghosts reveal) about Call of Duty being too samey and unoriginal, but at the same time they're extremely excited about the HD remaster of the decade old CoD that everybody played.

Not quite. The rumor/hope was that there'd be a return to the WW2 setting with the new hardware. Space is old hat. Everyone wants to see what the real world looks like, but with 'bitchin fast' graphics, and RAM for the Russian/Japanese hordes.
And CoD4 is a known quantity. It was is so well regarded that WaW died after two or three months.

quote:

Also, they're furious that the CoD4 remaster isn't being sold as a standalone, despite the fact that Activision did this exact same thing with packaging their CoD1 remaster

CoD1 loving sucks bro. All previous games looked (and played) very dated compared to the post CoD4 world. No one bought it.

quote:

Titanfall 2 will be the best shooter this year anyway

:hfive:

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jul 17, 2016

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Alteisen posted:

Crazy how these threads continue to endure despite being the same circlejerk of losers endlessly shitposting.

You'd think you guys would be bored by now.

I don't think you "get" Something Awful.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Mill Village posted:

Sorry, I can't hear you with your four copies of Destiny.

:stare:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Meh. It's a remake for :iw:, and not MW1. :geno:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Taking odds on weapons fire not doing anything to its atmospheric integrity during gameplay.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Seriously; C4 and a window was my first thought.

"When you get to Hell, tell 'em xXGokuSnypa69Xx sent ya'."

*click*

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

OneDeadman posted:

the 25 kill streak is just a Giant Vacuum cleaner that sucks everyone into it. The rest of the match takes place in the Vacuum Cleaner map that is just a dome remake but with Space Spiders.

Spaceballs DLC would be a guaranteed purchase.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Mill Village posted:

New gameplay video from Comic Con. Still don't understand what the bitching is about. Looks like COD to me. Spaceship combat looks great.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vP_8_8LAi4I

Zombies confirmed as well. No videos til next month. RIP Extinction

Hope we see multiplayer soon.

Something, something, joke about graphics and fog.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Bill NYSE posted:

The player is seen firing lasers from a rifle, yet the hoverjet called in sprays bullets. What the gently caress future did I sign up for?

Seriously; projectile weapons make no loving sense in fleet-level and under combat, only in the sense of planetary bombardment.

It makes more sense to run multiple nuke/fusion generators for lasers that suffer less travel and light lag. And you use high strength EM plating to specifically divert debris away from sensitive areas of the ship

You'd save weight by not holding tons of volatile ammunition that can instead be used for more fuel/maneuvering gas, redundant generators, spare compressed air storage... and not making GBS threads up space with debris from explosions and missed shots, or loving up your own maneuvers through weapon recoil.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Sums up my opinion on every form of media set in the future:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZa3Y1tcKJ4

"This is the future. Where're all the phaser guns?"
It's also why Borderlands games are utterly boring.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jul 25, 2016

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

What about Titanfall 2, given that it seems to be BLOPS 3, but with a grapple hook?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I'm on break. I'm just generalizing for simplicity.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

SpookyLizard posted:

Bullets don't make sense. Mass Drivers on the other hand, are amazing, and require far less heat dissipation. Missiles are mostly pointless, outside of kinetic kill devices.

Mass drivers only make sense in planetary bombardment, not fleet-level (or below) combat. They're just too slow, due to the delay from what your instruments see because of limitations on the speed of light.

When you consider the speeds of the ships, and distances involved, and the delay of what your sensors are telling you, compared to where the ship actually is, or might be (because light lag is a thing), lasers make way more sense.
You want weapons that actually travel at the speed of light, not orders of magnitude less. You need weapons that can hit almost as fast as you can detect, so that predicting where your enemy will go matters less.
It's the difference between Host pro with a hitscan gun (i.e., milliseconds of lag), and a dude with an XM-53 on dial-up (tenths of a second).

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jul 25, 2016

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

SpookyLizard posted:

You use your mass drivers to hit where the enemy will be and or to move towards where you want them to be. And planetary bombardment is an awful thing, and a great way to wreck that planet for years to come. If you're gonna do that you might as well just grab an asteroid and launch that out of your mass driver.

You can't know where they'll be, because even sensors are subject to light lag.
Compounded with the slow travel time compared to directed energy, they're not worth it for attacking anything smaller than a planet.

Space combat is like fighting on the internet; the weapons (even lasers) have travel time (lag), the feedback from sensors have travel time (lag) communications have travel time (lag).
We're not talking single digit kilometers here. The AO is hundreds to thousands of kilometers. The width of planets. It's never in real time. Every update is from the past.

Only two weapons make sense in that environment: lasers that travel at light speed, and missiles, which can adjust their course, and update the target's location after being launched.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jul 25, 2016

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

No, I care about space combat.

And lasers, mass drivers rail guns, and multi-sensor tracking missiles all exist in limited/mass production. None of them are fictional.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jul 26, 2016

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Might have seen it when it first came out, at our local anime club. Was it the one with completely silent space combat sequences?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Lasers could already shoot down aircraft and missiles in the prototype phase, and their range is even better in vacuum, without the air literally getting in the way.

It's just a matter of scaling them up and running them on dedicated generators.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

SpookyLizard posted:

If you have knowledge of the enemy's propulsion systems you can predict their potential movements and subsequently hit where they will be. Or attempt too. Fill the intervening spac with projectiles can force them into the space where there are other projectiles or are easier targets for other weapons platforms. Missiles aren't the greatest of weapons because lasers would make fantastic point defense, heavily negating their usefulness. Kinetic kill would probably useful against smaller ships or fighters of some kind.

I'll be honest i want to less play this game and more play any kind of space combat game now.

E: if youre using so heavily don't forget about heat dissipation. While you dont have to worry about ammunition besides power, or any relevant gas mediums. The heat produced by the lasers is important and its not easy to ditch the heat in a vacuum.

1.) Propulsion performance is classified in many areas for the latest combat aircraft (flight ceiling, rate of climb, for just two), what makes you think a future military will be open about it?

2.) loving :lol: at "filling the intervening space" (a 3D area measured in hundreds to thousands of cubic kilometers) with projectiles. Naval craft weren't able to do that, and they fight in 2d. And you're forgetting how missiles work; you don't fire one big one, you fire hundreds of small ones to overwhelm the defense. Same with single-pilot craft; you stack as many as they can hold for hundreds more.

3.) Because you don't have ammo storage, you just use more lasers and generators. And you rotate between weapons to maintain heat dissipation. And the extra generators can double as emergency power through rerouting.
Ammo is both an explosive hazard, doesn't serve secondary function that can ensure post-battle survival, and if not machine loaded, dangerous to handle in unexpected high G maneuvers (like evasion).

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jul 26, 2016

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

You do realize that the only information the US got on Soviet aircraft was through defection, espionage, or outright theft of the craft via a tertiary country, right?
The US created the F15 because they thought a bomber intercept craft (The Foxbat) was a superiority fighter, simply because it had a large tail area. That's how good "observation" is.

Mass drivers are too slow. Their top speed is limited by basic physics. to go at a significant fraction of light, you suffer from the same force in recoil.
Simply firing them at each other would alter each ship's courses as they fired, making their targeting useless, because instrument/sensor feedback is limited by the speed of light.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jul 26, 2016

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

You don't use one big cooling system for all weapons, you use multiple smaller (and redundant) systems for separate banks of weaponry, and you cycle through the groupings.

This is space, the most dangerous place a human can be. You need to think redundancies and decentralized.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jul 26, 2016

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Eh, what can I say, space combat is an obsession of mine. It has so many things going against it that just don't work in fiction, and so the near future genre irks me.
It's why I prefer my sci-fi to be so far in the future you can just say, "nanomachines and space magic".

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Not unless they have an SA account and play CoD.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Actually, the plot of AW is only decent if you consider 'Atlas Shrugged' to be good literature.
Kevin Spacey is the only thing that makes a story that stupid fun.
The idea of private military being more efficient was completely and utterly disproven in the poo poo show that was Iraq 2.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Aug 1, 2016

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

fivegears4reverse posted:

AW's 4 hours of plot is both good and cool despite my own inability to get through even half of Atlas Shrugged.

AW is not intended to be at all a realistic portrayal of future PMC efficiency, but rather it is a realistic portrayal of that one guy from that one TV show and how HE would get poo poo done if he had an omnipresent PMC with exoskeletons and powered armor as standard equipment at his disposal (which is to say, go ham as much as possible, commit massive amounts of war crimes, and fall off a building).

I find that every campaign in a CoD game is "What Republican hawks wish was the way their foreign policy worked."

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

fivegears4reverse posted:

Your reading doesn't make any sense.

Modern Warfare is actually "What happens if Republican hawks get what they wish for and are not prepared to handle it." Like seriously, NOTHING goes well for anyone in Modern Warfare except maybe for Russia, which escapes any real reprisals for the carnage it inflicts around the world. If MW as a whole was a Republican fantasy, the US invasion would have been handled the day it happened, we would have been the ones to nuke the Russians without any consequences, and we would have actually gone on that rampage through Russia that was hinted at by the end of the DC missions in MW2. Instead, pretty much every US main character dies in some overly dramatic but ultimately needless way, and ultimately the loving British save the world having donated all their spiritual energy to Captain Price in the final battle against Makarov's Perfect Form.

That aside, the first three CoDs were "Michael Bay's WW2", Blops 1 and 2 are the "Hey guys maybe Treyarch isn't total garbage, BTW do you like alternate history" era, and now we're in the "Hey You Do Know That Videogames Are Supposed To Be Fun" era, starting around the time of Ghosts (which still fits the theme because you are supposed to ask yourself "Am I actually having any fun at all" when playing Ghosts")

"There you go again." :rolleyes:

They beat Russia, and torture works. :patriot:

The bad stuff is just "details".

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Aug 2, 2016

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

They forgot to record it before implementing all the free to pay features, so now they have to grind the accounts before they can show any decent content. :v:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

http://www.twitch.tv/mistermacys

:smith:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Godzilla07 posted:

A bunch of info got leaked for Infinite Warfare MP! Weapon variants out of crates are back, and IW is doing a bunch of weird things to Create-a-Class (e.g. separating supers from your character, and there are "archetypes" for characters like medic, sniper, etc?)

https://pravda.ayria.se/T7Startupdelay.html

quote:

Userquestions:
BlackOps 3 – Long intros and file encryption

After going through the InfiniteWarfare leaks we asked you guys on Reddit for topics you wanted us to cover. One of the more interesting ones were from /u/VoiD_Glitch asking why BlackOps 3 has such a long intro when no other title does. After some investigation we do have the answer: Anti-piracy.

The short version is that the server encrypts some files with your hardware ID. The game then saves these files to the /LPC/ folder so the server doesn’t have to encrypt them again. All this is hidden by the long intro.

So, the technical version. Upon startup the game will send a bdAnticheat::reportConsoledetails request to the Demonware servers that, as the name suggests, informs it about your hardware information. BlackOps 3 is the only game so far that actually uses this request on PC with the other games just sending null data. It shouldn’t surprise anyone that Treyarch are the ones improving the systems.

After getting the hardware info the server begins encrypting the files. A problem is that since they have re-purposed an old request-type, the server does not know which language the client is using. Therefor it must encrypt all language specific files, which takes time. When they are properly encrypted they get uploaded to Demonwares AWS instance.

At this point the client is done displaying the intro and asks Demonware which files are available through a bdContentstreaming::listPublisherfiles request. Demonware responds with links to the AWS instance as well as checksums and the client downloads the files over HTTPS. They are then stored in the Local Publisher Cache-directory so that on the next startup the client can just verify the checksums and update the files needed before decrypting and loading the relevant ones.

As a sidenote, BlackOps 3 uses Arxan to obfuscate the game and this protector has several levels of protection available. While researching for this article we could only find two areas with the highest level: the hardware ID generation and bdMarketplace; the service used for lootdrops in the games. That might offer some insight into Activisions priorities and might be a topic for another article.

So now you know why you have to wait 20 seconds for the game to even begin initialization, because people pirate games. We thank everyone for their questions and we’ll try to cover as many as we can over the next few days. If you have a topic in mind, do beep our lead researcher on Twitter @ConverysStuff

Well... that's interesting.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

CoD XP?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Oh... like Quakecon. Got it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Did they say if they were abandoning co-op campaign? Because I really feel that the repetitive boss/arena poo poo really ruined an otherwise neat Twilight Zone-esque story.
Bring back my single-player optimized, scripted thrill ride please.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

No joke; the only reason I bought Root Beer was for Kevin Spacey. Even though the story setup is a completely unrealistic John Galt wank fest, the missions were great.
The mansion stealth mission is top notch, whether you go lethal or non lethal (if you go loud, you're totally hosed, though).

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Activision really, really knows their audience. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

And knifing was never more satisfying than it was in Ghosts. Adding the pause during the kill gave every hit a feeling of weight behind it.

• Locked thread