Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

NutritiousSnack posted:

Hilarously this was the worst case scenario for everyone. Sony is going to take the lesson "women aren't funny from this" but that GB is a valuable brand despite it. Instead expect animated retools or a "smarter" GB 3 soft reboot or some other dumb poo poo with Sandler type comedy and one of the two is going to break over 200 million and make us all suffer.

thats what sucks the actress are funny in other stuff(well jones act is "walking minstral show" and McCarthy is hit or miss) the problem is 3 fold. 1. get a different director. feige isnt good at this type of comedy or action plus him constantly dumping on the audience because he wants to #1 "progressive" is retarded. 2. get better PR and advertisements" and 3. get better writers. also if you make a male ghost busters reboot. dont do a loving stoner flick. hire actors who can act in both comedy and action. i would probably have chris pratt and Oscar Isaac because they can be good in anything and will bring an audience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
Wasn't there something about Sony planning another Ghostbusters movie where they were all men and then doing a crossover with the female ones? It reminds me of all that stuff they had planned for After Earth before that flopped.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Hadaka Apron posted:

Wasn't there something about Sony planning another Ghostbusters movie where they were all men and then doing a crossover with the female ones? It reminds me of all that stuff they had planned for After Earth before that flopped.

The plan I heard was that the next Ghostbusters would be all male and trying to find the Gatekeeper and Keymaster, and the final film would be the two teams of male and female Ghostbusters working together to take down Gozer. I wouldn't place any bets on this actually being their plan because I have no idea on what sources it came from and all that crap, it just sounds like a big rumor started by internet people trying to gain traction.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015
Buzzfeed's got advice for geeks, it involves giving your money to Sony. Over and over again

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

hitler also wouldn't have liked the new ghostbusters

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Presented by Ghostbusters 2016.

The Ghostbusters movie Trump doesn't watch.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

He's also a FYAD poster who was recently posting about how both sides of the GB debate were crazy assholes :ssh:

who won?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

clickbait websites.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I think a Seth Rogen stoner Ghostbusters movie could possibly be good if it were at least self-aware, but I am a huge Rogen apologist in general

I also think this same movie again could also be good if it distanced itself as far as possible from Feig, got a better writer, and tried to be a movie instead of a social statement

Like, they should pull a Hulk and reboot it again with a similar premise to last time without the toxic people attached to it, and they could even keep the same cast because they weren't the problem

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!
So it will do promising numbers this weekend so the anti-ghostbusters can't make any bold claims that it bombed but the pro-ghostbusters group will only have a few days to back pat themselves. Because next weekend it will falter, maybe worse than any feared, maybe just enough to show it won't have legs, and no one will care. A new week, new movies to talk about. Ghostbusters limelight was this weekend only and we got a wet fart instead of an explosion either way. We may get some hilarious "go see the movie again damnit" articles but that is it.

Probably it will do enough to green light a sequel. But if it does the controvery is over. It was unique for this film,but who is going to give a flying gently caress about a sequel? The sequel will limp out, do terrible, and be taken behind the barn to be shot.

I need something exciting to happen here because this is all so boring and half-predictable.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

loquacius posted:

I think a Seth Rogen stoner Ghostbusters movie could possibly be good if it were at least self-aware, but I am a huge Rogen apologist in general

I also think this same movie again could also be good if it distanced itself as far as possible from Feig, got a better writer, and tried to be a movie instead of a social statement

Like, they should pull a Hulk and reboot it again with a similar premise to last time without the toxic people attached to it, and they could even keep the same cast because they weren't the problem

It would also need effects good enough to convince my brain that four women are standing in an alley.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Movie was good.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

is anyone surprised that the new Ghostbusters movie is mediocre? almost every remake has been middling, forgettable crap that no one remembers three months after it's gone from theaters. it would be one thing if most of them were memorably horrendous, but they can't even manage that

je1 healthcare posted:

Buzzfeed's got advice for geeks, it involves giving your money to Sony. Over and over again

so it's the "Give Women Your Money" campaign, but we're paying money to a big-name hollywood movie instead of idiots online. when the highest form of left-wing social protest these days is consumerism, you know we've reached peak late-stage capitalism

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

loquacius posted:

im gettin a bus

oh poo poo that reminds me, we need a Speed remake, but still starring keanu reeves

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Y-Hat posted:

is anyone surprised that the new Ghostbusters movie is mediocre? almost every remake has been middling, forgettable crap that no one remembers three months after it's gone from theaters. it would be one thing if most of them were memorably horrendous, but they can't even manage that

so it's the "Give Women Your Money" campaign, but we're paying money to a big-name hollywood movie instead of idiots online. when the highest form of left-wing social protest these days is consumerism, you know we've reached peak late-stage capitalism

i hope your mom smacks the poo poo out of you the next time you see her

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

BillmasterCozb posted:

im gettin a bus

oh poo poo that reminds me, we need a Speed remake, but still starring keanu reeves

nah its gotta be a comedy. Jonah Hill and Seth Rogan are stuck on a bus with a bomb!

Anis Asazi or whatever his name is can be the bus driver.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

CrcleSqreSanchz posted:

So it will do promising numbers this weekend so the anti-ghostbusters can't make any bold claims that it bombed but the pro-ghostbusters group will only have a few days to back pat themselves. Because next weekend it will falter, maybe worse than any feared, maybe just enough to show it won't have legs, and no one will care. A new week, new movies to talk about. Ghostbusters limelight was this weekend only and we got a wet fart instead of an explosion either way. We may get some hilarious "go see the movie again damnit" articles but that is it.

Probably it will do enough to green light a sequel. But if it does the controvery is over. It was unique for this film,but who is going to give a flying gently caress about a sequel? The sequel will limp out, do terrible, and be taken behind the barn to be shot.

I need something exciting to happen here because this is all so boring and half-predictable.

Uh oh.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

XK posted:

Uh oh.

it already made a profit.
I like that non of those pictures have anything on the screen

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

thanks for the update, baghdad bob.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

CrcleSqreSanchz posted:

So it will do promising numbers this weekend so the anti-ghostbusters can't make any bold claims that it bombed but the pro-ghostbusters group will only have a few days to back pat themselves.

it finished second and gave into early pessimistic projections that caused the whole "anyone who doesn't want to see this is sexist" media backlash. It did not however, do as badly as Sony's "Damage control" projections hinted at and is on course to hit around 150 million if the overseas market is kind (it will probably hit a little lower in the 130 to 40 range, but it's still around a coin toss). Those aren't the type of numbers a studio likes launching a franchise off of to put it mildly.

It also shows that the ip has value and there was a lot of talk about animated feature that wouldn't have baggage attached to a politicized live action film as someone pointed out earlier.

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Two of the images do and also lmao how has it made a profit in any world where 27 million is less than 144 million (not counting the ten to twenty millionsih they spent on marketing)

NutritiousSnack fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jul 17, 2016

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Germstore posted:

thanks for the update, baghdad bob.

anytime germstore

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
I also completely and utterly believe the empty theater stories because this is a weak week for films and my local theater parking lot was less than half full at 6. What little people are going to show are usually seeing Secret Life of Pets and then GB, and then all the other dumb films.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

XK posted:

Uh oh.

:eyepop:

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Microwaves Mom posted:

nah its gotta be a comedy. Jonah Hill and Seth Rogan are stuck on a bus with a bomb!

Anis Asazi or whatever his name is can be the bus driver.

please do not raise my blood pressure like this

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

i hope your mom smacks the poo poo out of you the next time you see her
i have dinner with my parents tomorrow, i'll request a knuckle sandwich

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

XK posted:

Uh oh.

I don't think it's going to perform well in Eastern Europe either, which the second biggest foreign market for Hollywood after China according to some estimates. Currently, even though it's not even out the region, the film holds a score of 2.8 on kinopoisk (basically Russian IMDB).

https://www.kinopoisk.ru/film/425673

Speaking of Eastern Europe and films with an all-female cast, there's a pretty good Russian film about women soldiers in WWI called Battalion. Watch it if you can.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jul 17, 2016

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

NutritiousSnack posted:

Two of the images do and also lmao how has it made a profit in any world where 27 million is less than 144 million (not counting the ten to twenty millionsih they spent on marketing)

It does if you use Tumblr math. Its a triumphant day for women in cinema so quit trying to downplay their success!

Kirk Vikernes fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jul 17, 2016

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

hollywood accounting is weird enough that a lot of movies that make a lot of money don't technically make a profit

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

It does if you use Tumblr math. Its a triumphant day for women in cinema so quit trying to downplay their success!

who the gently caress cares?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Y-Hat posted:

hollywood accounting is weird enough that a lot of movies that make a lot of money don't technically make a profit

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

You

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
double post

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Evidently you, but at least I passed Kindergarten math and know $27,000,000 < $144,000,000

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i wish i could get angry about mediocrity

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
I haven't seen it and neither have you. So unless you are a movie critic, I don't care what you say

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Enough people cared that this lovely remake became a referendum on women in big budget poo poo, women in comedy, etc. The studio, director, and cast all encouraged this because surely mentally ill Tumblrinas and fellatio from clickbait mills would be enough to recoup a budget of One Hundred Forty Five Million United States Dollars Plus Marketing.

Maybe if you're going to set up a piece of stupid pop culture bullshit as the front line in a bullshit culture war, don't do it with something that has to make half a billion or more to be considered Worth It (also maybe make sure it is good, or at the very least salable in China).

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Y-Hat posted:

Yea but it doesn't work the other way, when a movie bombs they don't go "Oh, hey, actually this made a shitload of money!"

Would be pretty fun if they did.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

bloodysabbath posted:

Enough people cared that this lovely remake became a referendum on women in big budget poo poo, women in comedy, etc. The studio, director, and cast all encouraged this because surely mentally ill Tumblrinas and fellatio from clickbait mills would be enough to recoup a budget of One Hundred Forty Five Million United States Dollars Plus Marketing.

Maybe if you're going to set up a piece of stupid pop culture bullshit as the front line in a bullshit culture war, don't do it with something that has to make half a billion or more to be considered Worth It (also maybe make sure it is good, or at the very least salable in China).

you are first against the wall rear end in a top hat

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I haven't seen it and neither have you.
then why are you getting mad about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Y-Hat posted: