Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Stranger Things is a new supernatural drama from Netflix that's very, very inspired by Spielberg stuff from the late 70s and 80s. Think Super 8 but better. All the classic ingredients are there - a small-town sheriff, pre-pubescent inquisitive nerd children, and super secret underground government labs what stuff escapes from. It's created by the Duffer Brothers, who before this seem to be mainly known for being writers on the good-then-great-then-poo poo first season of Wayward Pines, and who direct almost every episode, with the others being helmed by Shawn Levy for some godforsaken reason but whatever.

The story setup involves a thing escaping from the aforementioned government lab and one of the nerdy kids encountering it and promptly disappearing. The cast is pretty excellent - Winona Ryder plays the mother of the missing kid, while Elliott Hirsch from The Newsroom plays the sheriff. The other main characters include the missing kid's 3 dorky friends and some other more enigmatic figures.

First episode is very solid and gets the style down perfectly and I'm really looking forward to watching more. BSam says it stays great, but he doesn't even like Another Period, so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

I may have mentioned it somewhere, but episode 3 was pretty great.

Actually now I'm all about episode 4.

Oh wow, it's only 8 episodes, I'm nearly halfway through.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Episode 6

Uh well it could be a bunch of different animals.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

This is the best thing Netflix has ever produced, I think. That's a fairly low bar but It's ridiculously good.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Hahaha toothless is loving amazing

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Loving episode 1. First 10 minutes was pretty intense

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Jesus christ episode 7 starting out loving strong.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
To anyone on the fence about this, the first episode is pretty strong, just jump in.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

episode 8

HOLY gently caress EL!

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Yup I'm done, just kept getting better each episode.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I just finished the run. Holey moley that is good. Its like if Stephen King, John Carpenter and Spielberg all had a baby

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Episode 3 Barb :smith:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Probably gonna throw out my whole day watching this but wow!!! that title font is really something else

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Episode 3: Holy gently caress. Pro goddamn placement on that Peter Gabriel "Heroes" cover. Well done, Shawn Levy.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I was annoyed that BoJack Horseman didn't premier today by this is much better!

On to Episode 6!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I just finished episode 3 and am actually annoyed that I have to go to a party now

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I've watched 3 episodes so far and while I'm really liking the kids, the rest seems good but not outstanding.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I only watched the first 2 episodes last night but I thought they were great.

Nostalgia overload.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I hope they answer the biggest mystery:

What the hell's up with Matthew Modine's hair?

But yeah, the kids are awesome.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Just watched Episode 1 and I am there for the next 7. drat good.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
All done. Fantastic. Did a great job setting up a theoretical second season while keeping this season self-contained, too.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

We're all in a agreement that Dustin is the greatest character in the history of TV, right?

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Davros1 posted:

We're all in a agreement that Dustin is the greatest character in the history of TV, right?

I told you a million times! My teeth are coming in. It's called cleidocranial dysplasia.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Ep 1 is extremely good, I went ahead and added the thread to the index thread op so you don't need to bug me about it Bown.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

hemophilia posted:

I just finished the run. Holey moley that is good. Its like if Stephen King, John Carpenter and Spielberg all had a baby

It's like a JJ Abrams show, except, you know, good.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

This show is loving great. Goddamn, they absolutely nailed the vibe of Stephen King at his best.

Netflix just keeps hitting it out of the park, literally the best content producer in TV right now.

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008

Davros1 posted:

It's like a JJ Abrams show, except, you know, good.

Couldn't have said it better. It's what the likes of Super 8 wish they had been.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Just finished the series. So good. Dustin is an amazing badass!

Lendrophiliac
May 3, 2009
Just binged this all - wasn't even born in the 80s but still felt nostalgic. This kind of felt like a really long movie rather than a tv show.

EDIT - team steve!!

Lendrophiliac fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jul 16, 2016

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Getting more into it by the end of episode 6, I just didn't love it at first because it just seemed to be imitating a genre I have no real nostalgia for.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Goddamn Winona Ryder where have you been. You are so loving amazing. I'm at episode 5 she is phenomenal.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Hollismason posted:

Goddamn Winona Ryder where have you been. You are so loving amazing. I'm at episode 5 she is phenomenal.

Episode 4 had me head over heels for her. Holy GOD drat did she go for it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Lucas is kind of a major dick.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

From the title I thought this show would be perfect for me, but I feel like it's a really good idea that's being dragged out over too much time. Maybe I'll feel different after a few more episodes; one nice thing about short series is that I don't mind giving them more of a chance since if I wind up really hating it then it'll be over soon.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

AHhhhhhhhhhhh episode 5 No don't go in the tree!!!

Dustin is the best.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jul 16, 2016

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I decided to binge watch it. It's very, very good.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Holy gently caress the start of ep 5

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
Holy gently caress this is amazing. Barely on episode 2 but loving it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Just finished it, a few thoughts:
  • A lot of the characters felt kinda thinly sketched. The kids were the most compelling by far. I did like Harbour a lot, though.
  • I actually don't really like Ryder's performance in this because she doesn't get much to do outside of cry. She does fine with it, the character's just rather one-note.
  • I enjoyed it more and more as it went on but I grew less and less interested in the central mystery at the same time.
  • Even with the hints, no idea how they could do another season of this, but I probably don't even want to watch that.
  • Dustin rules

Again, I got more out of it as I watched more of it. I enjoyed the tone even if it's a period and genre I have no nostalgia for. I need more time to digest it, but while it's probably less flawed and more consistent/cohesive than a lot of other Netflix shows, I feel like I had higher highs with the Marvel shows or even Arrested Development, though those are both things that are targeted directly at me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Just finished it and it was well worth the binge. I probably will rewatch it because it's really drat good. I liked that they really fleshed out all of the characters which was really great.

Excellent and another home run for Netflix.

Seriously, Netflix does have some serious duds some times but when they hit it out of hte park they hit it out of the park.

• Locked thread