Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
GIF'd some of the holy poo poo moments:

The music swelling during this scene was pretty much perfect:

I got huge Akira vibes when i watched this the first time

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jul 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

bring back old gbs posted:

I got huge Akira vibes when i watched this the first time
I did too, but especially from the later scene in the school when she just eyebleeds everybody to death. It's like Tetsuo walking through an 80s version of Stand By Me.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I'm only starting episode 4, but I'm really impressed with Millie Bobbie Brown's acting. For someone who doesn't really speak, she's great at physical subtlety.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I just finished episode 4 and I love this show. When all the different groups of characters start putting things together it was done so well I was almost cheering on each person's discoveries.

All the actors are amazing but David Harbour is by far the standout for me so far. Hopper is great.

Also I need the score for this show on iTunes like right now.

X-O fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jul 17, 2016

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Done. Best Netflix drama up til now for sure, and very possibly my favourite overall project by them.

freudorbison
Sep 5, 2011
Was I the only one to think of Beyond the Black Rainbow while watching this show? Aside from the usual 80s pastiche, it very much felt like that movie was in many ways the blueprint for the show (itself an 80s pastiche)

Am very curious as to where the show will go next season. Season 1 provided enough exposition that 2 would have to create a new mystery, or find a creative way to take advantage of Will's puberty changes.

Also hoping that El comes back

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Watched three episodes of this so far, it's really good. I know everyone is citing Spielberg, King and Carpenter, but what it really feels like is watching an adaptation of a 80's-era Dean Koontz novel. It has all the elements of a lot of his stuff from that period - overarching mystery with a sci-fi core, icky monster, innocent heroes, evil government lab, stoic adult male protagonist living with the memory of a past tragedy, emotionally fragile adult female protagonist, etc.

The kid actors are great, El in particular. I'm really impressed that they have a character like Steve, who in an actual '80s movie would be an unrepentant douchebag and actually make him, well, like a real person in this.

If there's one thing I think that's lacking so far, it's the creature stuff. The little glimpses of it while pursuing Will at the start are great, but the rest of it shown so far is a little too much like The Frighteners (the wall stuff) and the place where it lives looks like they exactly copied the movie Silent Hill's evil dimension, down to the floating ash. From reading this thread it sounds like that aspect gets better, so I'm looking forward to it.

Bruteman fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jul 17, 2016

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

AtraMorS posted:

I did too, but especially from the later scene in the school when she just eyebleeds everybody to death. It's like Tetsuo walking through an 80s version of Stand By Me.

I thought for a second that they were going to go for the Scanners reference.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Just going to echo the praise in here. I'm just to episode 5 and this show is wildly compelling. Netflix is crushing it.

I'd really like a gif of El from episode 5 after she makes the mouth breather piss himself. She wipes her nose and twirls off in the most hilarious way.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
gently caress this was so good.

Season 2 hanging plot threads:

- What did the feds tell Hopper when he got in the car at the end? Obviously they want him to keep quiet, but what was with his leaving the Eggos for El? Does the government know something about her that we don't?

- What's the deal with Will? Did he just have PTSD flashbacks in his bathroom, or did that really happen? Also, what's the deal with his cough/the worm? Probably more where that came from, but what will it lead to?

- How the hell can everyone in that huge group of people who've been involved in this case keep quiet forever? The government may be planning to make that town disappear at this point.

- The kids, Mike and Will especially, seemed a little too calm/normal considering the circumstances. I'd like to see their journeys after all of this. For Mike's part, how the hell will any girl ever live up to El in his mind?

There are probably more thoughts I can't remember, but that's what I want addressed, and put me firmly in the camp who wants a season 2. Also, the goon who said it's the lovechild of Steven King/Spielberg/John Carpenter is so right, it's crazy.

Stranger Things: Starring Jean Ralphio, Edward Furlong, Kieran Culkin, and Emmy Rossum.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Finished it last night, really great stuff. I'm in the camp of "don't need another season but would happily watch one if it came."

It's funny, DP said he was keeping the TVIV Awards nominations open for 12 Monkeys, but I think it may accidentally have been for this. I know I nominated it.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
Holy poo poo. I hadn't heard a thing about this show, discovered it at about 2:30 this morning and just finished gorging on it. And I never sit in front of the TV more than two hours a pop. I think it may be the best thing Netflix has done. It's like they grew a child from the combined the DNA of Spielberg and John Carpenter, raised it on a steady diet of Lovecraft and early Stephen King, and told it to make a TV show.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Reinanigans posted:

gently caress this was so good.

Season 2 hanging plot threads:

- What did the feds tell Hopper when he got in the car at the end? Obviously they want him to keep quiet, but what was with his leaving the Eggos for El? Does the government know something about her that we don't?

I got the vibe that they were bringing him into the fold, or recruiting him.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Goddamn was this amazing.

Sure, at times it felt like a bit of a remix of a bunch of other awesome things, but I really never cared. It was just too good.

Hoping that season 2 expands on the world of government conspiracy and continues to mash together all the best conspiracy theories of the 70s and 80s. Definitely want more of a men in black/philadelphia experiment/etc. world building stuff. I used to eat that poo poo up on Coast to Coast AM as a kid when I was supposed to be sleeping. My dream is a nod to Polybius, even if it was just in the background of an arcade scene.

Also hope this is big enough that the next season gets a bigger budget. The CGI was pretty rough, and I could definitely used more locations. Shooting period is expensive, I suppose.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

ShakeZula posted:

It's funny, DP said he was keeping the TVIV Awards nominations open for 12 Monkeys, but I think it may accidentally have been for this. I know I nominated it.

It wouldn't be eligible until next year's awards. Netflix shows that drop after May 31 don't qualify, which is why any voting on OITNB would be for Season 3, not 4.

It only sounds stupid.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Somewhat off topic, but I was trying to place where I had heard that creepo ambient music before (Elegia by New Order), but then I remembered! It's in the animated short by Mark Osborne about some dystopia where a sadbrains alien makes happy glasses: More

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

bring back old gbs posted:

I got the vibe that they were bringing him into the fold, or recruiting him.

He did betray the children, after all. I was waiting for a swerve on that which never came.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Random Stranger posted:

He did betray the children, after all. I was waiting for a swerve on that which never came.

I think he is also the only person (besides Mom/kids) that left the facility alive. But I might be mistaken on that.

With all the BS/MRA poo poo going on around the Ghostbusters movie it was nice I had "you GO girl!" on the tip of my tongue like 2x per episode. They turned a 12 year old girl into a badass and made it feel legit.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jul 17, 2016

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Random Stranger posted:

I don't know if he had a choice, and if he did it wasn't a hard one. It was either "They're going to suicide me and possibly Joyce, in which case Will dies," or "I can sic them on a girl with telekinetic powers that all the man-made weaponry in the world can't defend against in exchange for a chance to save Will." It wasn't a sure bet, but it wasn't a dumb one either.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Aug 22, 2016

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

DivisionPost posted:

I don't know if he had a choice, and if he did it wasn't a hard one. It was either "They're going to suicide me and possibly Joyce, in which case Will dies," or "I can sic them on a girl with telekinetic powers that all the man-made weaponry in the world can't defend against I'm exchange for a chance to save Will." It wasn't a sure bet, but it wasn't a dumb one either.

Considering they just let him go through the portal since they assumed they were dead anyway without checking anything, he could have said they were anywhere. I was expecting the government to show up at Will's house right as the monster got out because nobody realized what anyone else was doing.

It really felt tonally wrong as well since the episode had those flashbacks to his daughter's death and he decides to condemn another girl.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

DivisionPost posted:

I don't know if he had a choice, and if he did it wasn't a hard one. It was either "They're going to suicide me and possibly Joyce, in which case Will dies," or "I can sic them on a girl with telekinetic powers that all the man-made weaponry in the world can't defend against I'm exchange for a chance to save Will." It wasn't a sure bet, but it wasn't a dumb one either.

That whole bit seemed like they'd written themselves into a bit of a corner and were forcing themselves out of it. It would have been silly if Hopper infiltrated the facility the exact same way twice in a row, so he had to get caught, and El's location was indeed the only thing he could bargain with -- but there doesn't seem to have been any reason for the bad guys to have lived up to their end of the deal. Brenner thinks they're going to die in the upside down land, sure, but why actually let them go at all when they could just handle it themselves right then and there?

Hopper himself could have lied and sent them off a wild goose chase, since they just took his word for it, but the last moments of the plot will all fall apart if the bad guys don't show up at the school. So we have a few characters making decisions for less than clear reasons, except that they're necessary to set up the individual set pieces that tie the plot off.

I'm kind of curious as to how Hopper and Joyce got Will out of the secret government research base. Surely there were some guards left behind who weren't supposed to actually let them walk free, right?

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I think my favorite tertiary character is Mike's dad. He's just so loving clueless and it's hilarious.

edit: or maybe the doofy cop with glasses.

i am the bird fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jul 17, 2016

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I liked this show a lot but the gender dynamics sort of put me off. It plays with a lot of tropes but it doesn't do anything interesting with them. Not even sure if it passes the Bechdel test?

It also felt a lot of the time like it was just three different movies folded into each other -- the kid -> teen -> adult plot-lines don't intersect very much at all so it can feel a little disconnected. It also has the typical TV show 'no one tells each other anything' but gets away with it better than some.

Still really good, though. Amazingly shot, tense, great soundtrack. The characters were just all really... rote, I dunno.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

i am the bird posted:

I think my favorite tertiary character is Mike's dad. He's just so loving clueless and it's hilarious.

edit: or maybe the doofy cop with glasses.

I call that guy Rick Moranis Cop. He's great.

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004
Some of the characters were a bit one-dimensional, but that seemed to be an effort by the show to adhere to certain familiar genre tropes. Even with that said, plenty of the arcs you'd see from your standard 80s/90s characters were twisted to be unpredictable. For example:

Mike & Nancy's mother is a perfectly reasonable, levelheaded character. What I usually expect from this genre is a control-freak that meddles in her children's affairs. In this case though, you got an understandably confused midwestern mom that did actually just want to listen to her kids, and was reasonable with their faults.

Steve was a charming slimeball for most of the series, but seemed to show genuine remorse and an effort to change. In any other show, he would've met a gruesome demise - not unlike that one bully .

Hell, even the teacher was shown to not be a total dweeb. While his role was mostly scientific exposition man, it was nice to see him eventually gaming on some cutie. It was probably a bit of fan service, especially combined with the movie being watched, but I thought it was a step in an unexpected direction.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

DarkLich posted:

Some of the characters were a bit one-dimensional, but that seemed to be an effort by the show to adhere to certain familiar genre tropes. Even with that said, plenty of the arcs you'd see from your standard 80s/90s characters were twisted to be unpredictable. For example:

Mike & Nancy's mother is a perfectly reasonable, levelheaded character. What I usually expect from this genre is a control-freak that meddles in her children's affairs. In this case though, you got an understandably confused midwestern mom that did actually just want to listen to her kids, and was reasonable with their faults.

Yeah she was a really good mother character. She understood what her daughter did with Steve that night, and instead of getting mad or try and shame her, she opened herself up and hoped to talk about it.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Just finished, loved it. The cg was a bit bad and some practical effects would be better but maybe they'll get a better budget for season 2.

I think either going American Horror Show with the seasons or doing some time skip till the kids are teenagers to deal with the open plotlines would be awesome.

Now I need to find something else to watch :negative:

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I really enjoyed the series, but found it to (not really a spoiler) end in a really dumb place that kind soured me on the whole thing. I was worried that the season might have been around ~20 episodes, which there wouldn't be room for, but I also don't really see 16 episodes for a show they seemed to be winding down pretty well by the end.

I'm always in awe of directors who get good performances out of children, and I generally really liked the kids - Eleven in particular - obviously. I felt like Will's actor was quite good, so it's a shame that we didn't see more of him.

Some characters felt very archetypal if not cliché, but you could argue that it was on purpose, even though the two bullies were too much cruft for a series that had enough interesting B- and C-plots already.

Sort of weird that they threw in that Will is probably gay; it just felt like something that was tacked on, especially when he wasn't really there anyway.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'd also love a followup suggestion. Right now I'm about to finish Ash vs. Evil Dead to scratch that side of the itch, looking at sci-fi conspiracy movies to scratch the other side.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
This show is amazing, my wife wanted to watch it, and we completed it in one sitting!

My thought through all of this was "Freaks & Geeks by Steven Spielberg". In addition to the actors, references and story I loved the lighting, audio and cinematography. Anything and everything that ended up on screen was a love letter to the 80s VHS movies we all grew up with.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I think Steve's character arc kind of stems from the show's duelling influences: King and Spielberg. He's kind of wobbling between two teen jock archetypes: good-natured doofus (Spielberg) and intense sociopath (King). They tease both with his charm and good humour, but with bursts of anger and violence. If it had been a full-on King joint, you can bet your shorts Nancy hanging out with Jonathan would have turned Steve into a raging, homicidal psychopath who gets eaten. Luckily, his Spielberg side won out.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
Stranger Things Season 2: The Assassination of Jean Ralphie by the Coward Edward Furlong

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

ufarn posted:

Sort of weird that they threw in that Will is probably gay; it just felt like something that was tacked on, especially when he wasn't really there anyway.
This was not uncommon during the 80's, and has little to do with whether he was or wasn't. If anything sticks out, it might be that he was interested in science and RPGs.

Really, kids would grab a tasteless joke book from the local drug store and just run with it even though they wouldn't catch the meaning if it sounded funny.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

ufarn posted:

I don't think he was necessarily gay, it was that was the kind of thing that nasty kids said about each other in the 80's. He might have been, he might not; it doesn't really matter.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

jeez this show is incredible

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
I loving hate most TV, can never watch for more than an hour or so because of ADD and I just watched this from beginning to end in one sitting. I was utterly compelled the entire time. I cannot believe how good it was and how many different nostalgic buttons it pressed without being blatant or insulting your intelligence along the way.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Yep, this show scratched an itch I didn't know I had, it was a perfect summer miniseries that brought back a lot of 80s nostalgia without being heavy-handed.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Hilario Baldness posted:

Stranger Things Season 2: The Assassination of Jean Ralphie by the Coward Edward Furlong

I couldn't stop seeing the Jean Ralphio or even Andrew Garfield in that guy.

Show was fantastic. Exceed my expectations by a considerable amount.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

GobiasIndustries posted:

Yep, this show scratched an itch I didn't know I had, it was a perfect summer miniseries that brought back a lot of 80s nostalgia without being heavy-handed.

Yeah, it did a good job of just being in the 80s, not showing off "Look how 80s we can make this!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
drat, DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN holy poo poo this was so loving good! Great mystery, not a single scene was boring or wasted, edge of my seat all 8 episodes, loved the characters, constantly wondering what was gonan happen next. Loved the 80s vibe and MUSIC, really brought me back to my childhood watching spoopy things i wasn't allowed to watch in the middle of the night.

I just have absolutely nothing bad to say about this show, which is weird cause i like to whine about everything. I hope season 2 can follow up on how good this was if they make it.

• Locked thread