Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Bruteman posted:

It was extremely obvious but I'm glad they outright said Silent Hill was one of the inspirations for the Upside Down, it was too similar-looking to not be that.

Would love to see their 30-page document on the Upside Down.

I'm still waiting for them to discuss Half-Life.

edit: Also in regards to season 2 sure there's a chance it won't be as good but I think that chance grows immensely when you make it an anthology and cast all new people.

I hope Will starts gaining powers and you bring back Eleven (you have to, she's indispensable) and then pit Will against Eleven. Just continuing the Akira thing. Will becomes the villain against his own...will.

If you keep all the same characters a couple years down the line, especially the cop who is right out of a Steven King novel, then you can create a whole mythology about this town. It can grow like an X-Files or Twin Peaks did.

kiimo fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jul 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Totally agreed, and the scene where they discuss continuing the D&D campaign to delve deeper into the unanswered questions relieved all my fears.

For people who loved the show and want something similar, I'm actually gonna recommend a book, 14 by Peter Clines. It's more lighthearted but it deals with a group of strangers coming together to unravel a conspiracy involving shadowy groups and Lovecraftian mythos.

bowser fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jul 19, 2016

Nelson Mandela
Jun 4, 2007

SO SHINY
SO CHROME
This came out just in time for me to be stuck in bed with a sprained ankle. It was loving brilliant.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

kiimo posted:

I'm still waiting for them to discuss Half-Life.

poo poo, yeah. I got some serious Half-Life vibes from it, and it was great. Hey, they even recruit the Sheriff at the end, it seems.

I described this show to a coworker as, "if the Goonies befriended Tetsuo and then fought a xenomorph in the town from E.T." He said, "what the gently caress are you talking about?" Then he watched some episodes. "Yeah, ok. That makes sense."

I honestly can't think of a project I've seen in years that sets out to accomplish something so specific, and so thoroughly nails it. Based on that interview with the Duffer Brothers, they're just insanely on-point as writers, directors, and producers. Their explanation of the opening titles alone communicates what a coherent vision they had for the project.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I feel like True Detective season 1 did that. That also works as a great example why to stay away from the anthology idea.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Question/theory about the last episode:
Where was the Demigorgon's lair in The Upside Down? It seemed like it was in the library. Joyce and Hop tracked it there and never found it, but the Demigorgon that appeared in the school didn't seem to be injured and made quick work of heavily armed soldiers after it had supposedly just gotten it's rear end kicked by a .38 and a baseball bat. I don't think they were the same Demigorgon, if the injured one ran to the library, there's no way it would have been able to appear in the school. We saw when Nancy went into the tree-gate that it's gates are direct one-to-one translations of where it is in The Upside Down and the real world.

Also, Winona is just great. Kinda broke the immersion when she bought that phone and all those lights though, very out of character for her.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

The way it simply went from running away to attacking confused me as well. At first, I just assumed they forgot about the monster being hurt. However, it makes sense that there might be more than one of them out there. Maybe that means that the monster is actually hiding inside Will, and that it will emerge again once it has recovered.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

And More posted:

The way it simply went from running away to attacking confused me as well. At first, I just assumed they forgot about the monster being hurt. However, it makes sense that there might be more than one of them out there. Maybe that means that the monster is actually hiding inside Will, and that it will emerge again once it has recovered.

Nah, it's just one monster - the creators imply as much in their VF interview linked a page or so back:

quote:

"Ross: There’s a lot there we don’t know or understand. Even with the Upside Down, we have a 30-page document that is pretty intricate in terms of what it all means, and where this monster actually came from, and why aren’t there more monsters — we have all this stuff that we just didn’t have time for, or we didn’t feel like we needed to get into in season one, because of the main tension of Will."

It's simple. Nancy and co. beat the poo poo out of it at Joyce's house; it shifted back to the Upside Down and heads back to its lair - Hop and Joyce find evidence of this and follow the blood trail to the library. Then Elle kills the lab agents at the school and draws the creature back into our world when it senses all that blood. Probably good that happened, otherwise Hop and Joyce might have encountered it.

Yeah, it's weird, but based on what the show tells us about the monster, it fits. There's a lot of inconsistency about what hurts it and everything, but I'm guessing it just functioned as the story needed it to.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nazzadan posted:

Where was the Demigorgon's lair in The Upside Down? It seemed like it was in the library. Joyce and Hop tracked it there and never found it, but the Demigorgon that appeared in the school didn't seem to be injured and made quick work of heavily armed soldiers after it had supposedly just gotten it's rear end kicked by a .38 and a baseball bat. I don't think they were the same Demigorgon, if the injured one ran to the library, there's no way it would have been able to appear in the school. We saw when Nancy went into the tree-gate that it's gates are direct one-to-one translations of where it is in The Upside Down and the real world.

Also, Winona is just great. Kinda broke the immersion when she bought that phone and all those lights though, very out of character for her.

Yeah when I was watching I assumed there were multiple monsters but everything was fine at the end when the one is killed, so i guess not.

Also lol the mom's entire character was out of character for you? what?

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

bring back old gbs posted:

He's making a joke about it being out of character for Winona Ryder to buy things. Because she was once famously caught shoplifting, you see.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Winona Ryder has a bit of a shoplifting problem

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Varam posted:

He's making a joke about it being out of character for Winona Ryder to buy things. Because she was once famously caught shoplifting, you see.

Nazzadan posted:

Winona Ryder has a bit of a shoplifting problem

OOohhhhhhhh I think I remember reading about that. Fuggin' woosh.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Nazzadan posted:

I'm not sure the monster actually had a lair. It was essentially an apex predator. It probably just roamed all over the place in there.

I think the library was the lair of something else. I suspect the Upside-Down has a lot of nasty things in it and the monster we saw was just something not smart enough to be subtle with its influences.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
that was a good show and the ending was perfect. wish they like, gave a couple extra thoughts to barb though, they seemed to reaaaaaaaaaaaaally not care about her even though she died.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
I was going to say the shoplifting joke is as old as the setting of this show but apparently it happened in 2001 and now I feel old.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

I'm not sure the monster actually had a lair. It was essentially an apex predator. It probably just roamed all over the place in there.

Yeah, I got a sense that it was living in the Upside Down of the Soviet Union feeding on people/animals that it dragged from our dimension ala the deer. Once El showed up it realized it had competition for another creature that can shift between worlds and followed her to the Upside Down of the US to kill her.

I loved how those early contact scenes between it and El were shot. Terrifying in how you could only see directly what's around you and could stumble upon anything just out of sight, like being in the middle of the ocean all alone. Wish they brought that back toward the end, but maybe it was only shot that way because that's how El's astral projection works vs it creating rifts.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jul 19, 2016

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Norwegian Rudo posted:

No matter what there is going to need to be a time jump, just because kids grow so fast at that age.

I'm addicted to reading IMDB trivia for things as soon as I finish them, even though it's getting increasingly terrible.

quote:

Gaten Matarazzo's (who plays Dustin) voice changed so much by the time production ended that the sound team was unable to use him for additional dialogue recording.

So I'd say a time skip is definitely in the cards.

Nancy's plotline was weird, wasn't it? All of it culminated in her and her two guys trapping and wounding the monster, which amounted to nothing since it was easily able to rip through a dozen heavily armed guards immediately after. It probably would have gone and attacked Hob and Will's mom if they hadn't distracted it though, so they unknowingly accomplished something.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

BJPaskoff posted:

Nancy's plotline was weird, wasn't it? All of it culminated in her and her two guys trapping and wounding the monster, which amounted to nothing since it was easily able to rip through a dozen heavily armed guards immediately after. It probably would have gone and attacked Hob and Will's mom if they hadn't distracted it though, so they unknowingly accomplished something.

This is why I think there were 2 that we saw in the show.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Another thing I liked was how they kept Nancy with Jean Ralphio in the end, instead of hooking her up with the brother because they bonded a bit. It'd be too fan servicy to have her ~*%UnDeRsTaNd HiM%*~ and end up together but they clearly expected audiences to think/expect it when she gave him that expensive gift - only to pull the rug out in the next scene. I thought that was a neat subversion of a trope.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

The show did a lot of things I really enjoyed from both a cinematic standpoint and a narrative standpoint.

When Nancy was moving towards the tree-gate, that scene went on for what felt like eternity and the whole time I was expecting the cheap jump scare, but they avoided it completely.

The revelation that Steve is a good guy was also very subversive and contrarian in episode 7, even if he didn't end up with Nancy he really came through and proved he was just a good guy being influenced by douchebags. Somehow he was the most popular kid in school, but wasn't the leader of his own gang.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
if they do a season 2 i hope they dont keep any of the same characters tbh

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I could go either way. Clean slate would be nice, but it would probably make sense to have a character like Hop come back.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Nazzadan posted:

Somehow he was the most popular kid in school, but wasn't the leader of his own gang.

As is often the case.

anime was right posted:

if they do a season 2 i hope they dont keep any of the same characters tbh

They already said they would. No anthology, they'd continue this story. I'm personally glad. Millie Bobby Brown needs to be working.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Yeah when I was watching I assumed there were multiple monsters but everything was fine at the end when the one is killed, so i guess not.

It felt a bit like Torchwood to me in the regard of "how many monsters are there?", where they'll probably learn next season that those monsters are the "weevils" or otherwise only mildly dangerous extra-dimensional monsters around however, they do indicate that there's enough of a time/space breach for it to attract more and nastier poo poo.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
Anyone else get hella Metroid vibes from the Upside Down?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

coyo7e posted:

It felt a bit like Torchwood to me in the regard of "how many monsters are there?", where they'll probably learn next season that those monsters are the "weevils" or otherwise only mildly dangerous extra-dimensional monsters around however, they do indicate that there's enough of a time/space breach for it to attract more and nastier poo poo.

Yeah I'm curious about that too, are there other animals/creatures in the upside down? Are there multiple dimensions and we just saw into the one? Did it used to be an alternate Earth that wasn't so stodgy about genetic modification and bred their own xenomorph things that wiped out everything else? Or is it just a Ghost Dimension with spooky vines everywhere? I should probably read that Duffer Brothers interview.

EDIT: Read the interview, it does address most of these questions.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jul 20, 2016

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

Anyone else get hella Metroid vibes from the Upside Down?

The sort of specs of weird stuff all over it definitely give off a Brinstar from Super Metroid vibe. The dark world aspect of it also pretty in line with Metroid Prime 2's dark Aether.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Another thing I liked was how they kept Nancy with Jean Ralphio in the end, instead of hooking her up with the brother because they bonded a bit. It'd be too fan servicy to have her ~*%UnDeRsTaNd HiM%*~ and end up together but they clearly expected audiences to think/expect it when she gave him that expensive gift - only to pull the rug out in the next scene. I thought that was a neat subversion of a trope.

Yeah and I like the redemption arc for Steve too. He didn't save the day but he at least talked to Nancy and gave her space to make her own decision. It's almost as if this show captured how relationships actually work instead of going for the ol' hot chick hooks up with the awkward loner stereotype.

anime was right posted:

that was a good show and the ending was perfect. wish they like, gave a couple extra thoughts to barb though, they seemed to reaaaaaaaaaaaaally not care about her even though she died.

I thought it made sense. This was early 1980's America and they were still stuck in the 70's mindset of kids will be kids. If a young boy goes missing then yeah the towns going to be worried but if a high schooler who has a car suddenly goes missing then I can see how some cops would chalk that up to a teenage runaway. Also any further building up of Barb's story would require Barb's parents and a whole 'nother plotline so f-that. They covered people being worried about Barb by having Nancy constantly be worried about her anyway.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Doltos posted:

Yeah and I like the redemption arc for Steve too. He didn't save the day but he at least talked to Nancy and gave her space to make her own decision. It's almost as if this show captured how relationships actually work instead of going for the ol' hot chick hooks up with the awkward loner stereotype.

This was brought up in the interview, he was originally planned to be the stereotype unredeemable jerk but they liked the actor and decided to see what they could do with him.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

coyo7e posted:

I hope not, that seems almost too...predictable. I'd like it better if the worst "monster" being over with lulled the community into a false sense of security as small corruption gradually seeps through until the entire town is totally hosed and wrong. Like Stephen King's Desperation kind of.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

This was brought up in the interview, he was originally planned to be the stereotype unredeemable jerk but they liked the actor and decided to see what they could do with him.

Yeah that's the same thing that happened to Andy Dwyer in Parks and Rec but obviously different genre and different outcome for their character arcs. I guarantee you if they didn't like the actor then Steve would have died in the Nancy/Brother demon hunting scene.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Yeah I'm curious about that too, are there other animals/creatures in the upside down? Are there multiple dimensions and we just saw into the one? Did it used to be an alternate Earth that wasn't so stodgy about genetic modification and bred their own xenomorph things that wiped out everything else? Or is it just a Ghost Dimension with spooky vines everywhere? I should probably read that Duffer Brothers interview.

EDIT: Read the interview, it does address most of these questions.

Well, we know there are at least two kinds of creatures in the Upside-Down, maybe three. The big monster, the tentacle thing that was stuck down Will's throat, and the slugs, though the slugs may be larval tentacle thing.

My personal wild-rear end guess about the Upside-Down is that it's a parallel earth that got infected by some universal parasitic fungus that rots away reality and spreads its spores to neighboring earths.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Did anyone think that the tilt up to the stars was notable in the finale, right before the time jump?

I liked that the show was basically ET if it had the tone of Close Encounters, but then avoided anything with aliens to not just be a ripoff. But that tilt up to the stars made me wonder if they were hinting at a possible extraterrestrial origin.

Probably not, but the shot definitely stood out to me.

Graveyardstick
Nov 18, 2007

Are you too depressed to finish biting through that piece of toast?
I interpreted the starward tilt as a nod to the Twilight Zone, it's something they frequently did while Rod Serling said spooky things at the end of episodes.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

I liked the Event Horizon reference which I don't think people have mentioned here. There's a ton of horror references in the film I think when I rewatch it I'll make a list.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
On a side note it's loving stupid to have a ten hour DnD campaign boss beaten by one fireball.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Doltos posted:

On a side note it's loving stupid to have a ten hour DnD campaign boss beaten by one fireball.

Yeah, they had all this attention to detail on the setting, clothing, cars, etc. but couldn't get the basics of D&D

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Doltos posted:

Yeah that's the same thing that happened to Andy Dwyer in Parks and Rec but obviously different genre and different outcome for their character arcs. I guarantee you if they didn't like the actor then Steve would have died in the Nancy/Brother demon hunting scene.

The setup for his death is clearly there too. Like instead of coming to Jonathan's house to bury the hatchet he would have come to kick his rear end and instead of Jonathan yelling at him to hop over the bear trap he woulda just got caught and gotten munched on by the monster before they burned it

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

they clearly expected audiences to think/expect it when she gave him that expensive gift

Didn't they imply Steve actually bought it? Or I misheard that.

I like that idea, that the Upside Down is some kind of parallel earth that was corrupted by the weird Half Life monsters.

Will being some kind of plague rat for a world-illness sounds loving rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

I noticed that the library in the upside down had lights on, I wonder why that was.

And the fact that the upside down looked just like their town (including the fort) makes me think that maybe it's a future version of Hawkins.

• Locked thread