Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

If I am going to throw silver keys at a Trapper, which one should I be getting? What's their deal? Thanks in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Boing posted:

In my experience hunters don't learn how to deal with spider traps at all even after they've been caught by them a couple times trying to revive their friends.

Treat them like the plants and shoot first?

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide
Holy poo poo am I glad they decided to keep Behemoth away from newbies for the time being. He's unbelievably bad. It's a struggle just to survive stage 1.

Mr Toes
Jan 2, 2008
Digitally Challenged
As I've progressed up through the levels playing monster has definitely become a lot harder - certainly more unforgiving. At least once it was my own bloody stupid fault (which basically threw the game) but I'm finding I'm having real trouble with getting away from the hunters once the dome is broken. Any advice?

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Cake Smashing Boob posted:

Holy poo poo am I glad they decided to keep Behemoth away from newbies for the time being. He's unbelievably bad. It's a struggle just to survive stage 1.

I found a gif of the first dome from when I tried Behemoth out for a round to get some XP towards the perk unlock, and went against tranq darts and stasis grenades:

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Try to hit your web first since that adds a slow. Makes it much easier to puke all over the hunters.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

ZearothK posted:

If I am going to throw silver keys at a Trapper, which one should I be getting? What's their deal? Thanks in advance.

Abe is a good trapper, his damage output is pretty good, and his schtick is throwing little balls that have an big AOE slow, they last for 15 seconds and you can have 3 out at a time.

teh_Broseph posted:

I found a gif of the first dome from when I tried Behemoth out for a round to get some XP towards the perk unlock, and went against tranq darts and stasis grenades:

iirc behemoth is almost completely unaffected by slows while rolling

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I guess we Blood Dragon now.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
Oh wasn't he the big prize at the end of the big daily login bonus thing?

I forgot to keep that poo poo up.

Edit: Turns out that not logging in for a day doesn't reset progress.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

ZearothK posted:

I like Griffin. His harpoon gun can stop a monster mid traversal and can interrupt them whenever they're looking at your team mates instead of you in combat. Just remember the slow doesn't work unless his feet are touching the ground.

As for his tracking ability, he can put down up to 3 sound trackers that ping the map whenever the monster is in range. With proper coverage it makes the monster pretty easy to find.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Weird, the patch notes say Founders should automatically get him for free, but he's still 8000K in my game.

e; okay, no, I just had to go back to the main page and then back into training mode and he showed up as unlocked. Weird.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jul 21, 2016

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Electro Griffin is love, electro Griffin is life. The guitar solo that plays when you use the harpoon is the tits.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
If I find out you're lying about that....

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006
It's a shame they just slammed the "shorter range griffin" onto his sound spikes rather than doing something special. Especially now that the trapper's kits have generally become less useful.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

The idea is that his altered spikes can sense a sneaking monster whereas the normal spikes cannot. So they serve the express purpose of finding monsters who want to hide in the dome. This is so niche though that they're basically pointless.

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006
Regular griffin's sound spikes were eventually changed a long time ago to detect sneaking monsters within half the detection aoe, I didn't know they removed it.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

I'm just going by what the trailer said so it could just be a crock of poo poo.

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

Electro Griffin day. Or what I, as a Kraken player, would call Free win day.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Though at first I thought it would be the opposite, I much prefer original kraken to elder kraken.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

I'm really bad a Monstering. Don't think I've even managed to evolve once.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

aegof posted:

It's all over the place. At level 10 and under I barely bothered to run, and easily wiped the floor with the hunters at level one. After that it got a lot harder.

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006

aegof posted:

Eat more, and dont give a poo poo about sneaking, a decent hunter team is gonna find you quickly no matter what you do. So eat eat eat eat eat eat eat eat eat eat and dont be afraid to evolve when the hunters are nreaby or even within the dome depending on how close the assault is (for example when one hunter is ahead of the others and is waiting for everyone else to catch up).

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

aegof posted:

What monster do you play as?

I find as kraken I can almost always get to stage 2 without even seeing the hunters if I try. Picking up one of the faster eating perks helps too.

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

lohli posted:

Oh wasn't he the big prize at the end of the big daily login bonus thing?

I forgot to keep that poo poo up.

Edit: Turns out that not logging in for a day doesn't reset progress.

Too bad the monthly punch card changes on August 1, so you're hosed anyways if you haven't logged in every day since F2P started.

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007

Cake Smashing Boob posted:

I've had some incredibly fun games with the Behemoth (combined with the Golden skin of course) since a lot of the players don't seem to know what he does, but I've probably lost most of them.

It's just so much fun to spot the hunters coming for you and then keep rollin' rollin' rollin' and be on the other side of the map while they try to catch up. Super dependant on terrain when fighting though. If I can "lure" a dome from the hunters in a building/cave/tunnel the Behemoth really shines. Open areas? Not so much. The fact that his roll is slower uphill is my biggest gripe.

I have to say I'm enjoying Stage 2 a lot. If I have one main annoyance right now it's probably the lobby system. People keep leaving when they don't get the role they "prefer" for no penalty and the game doesn't try to refill the spot. I've also gotten several odd matchups where the hunters are all profile level 15+ and the poor level 3 player gets the monster. It usually doesn't end well.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Could I get some advice on Trappers/Medics to unlock? I feel like they would be the hardest for me to just choose on my own and also the most useful roles. Slim seems really easy to use so much that he seems like a pretty solid pick no matter what. Lazarus seems like one of those that gets pubbies raging "WHY DIDNT YOU HEAL ME" before I can get a chance to revive them.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
At the rate the population is going down this game will be dead as evolve stage one mid-august.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

To be honest I really doubt it'll get that bad ever again, a whole lotta people have been pretty kind to it now with the F2P move and the big dropping numbers are kind of to be expected/not really surprising. Like it's a hot 'new' thing, it's free, everyone and anyone can boot it up for ten minutes and fart around then drop it, I'd be willing to bet it retains at least a decently healthy amount when it evens out and no matter what it'll always be in better shape than the shitshow it just recently even was.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Once ranked play is unlocked should you stick to that? Does normal hunt not match make on ELO?

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
I'm pretty sure normal hunt does matchmake, since I started out absolutely crushing newbie hunter teams and now it's much more even and they're much more competent. Or perhaps the F2Pers are just getting better as time goes on, but that seems less likely.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Captain Beans posted:

What monster do you play as?

I find as kraken I can almost always get to stage 2 without even seeing the hunters if I try. Picking up one of the faster eating perks helps too.

Goliath and Elder Kraken, though that second one will change as the rotation does. Hunters always seem to be right around the corner, but just out of sniffing range, and I seem to always be picking the routes with less wildlife.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

What is different about matchmaking from normal play?

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
He's saying that he thinks the game has a proper metric for what constitutes an even match and that it tries to match players of similar skill/rating rather than a simply throwing players into whatever slot in a lobby is available which creates games with players of hugely disparate competence.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Man gorgon is broken as hell.

Yeah this last patch really broke the game in favor of monsters. Don't play.

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jul 22, 2016

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
How so? The last patch barely changed any stats in substantial amounts. Monsters all got a tiny buff to armor recharge if they hide mid fight (never happens) and no other changes to ol spider queen.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jul 22, 2016

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Nothing like releasing to the dropship as Lazarus and being the only person out of the dropship just as the monster knocks down the last person, and then stealthing to the other three and popping them up to finish the fucker off with the dome that just came off cooldown.

That will never ever happen again but drat it was cool.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Knifegrab posted:

Man gorgon is broken as hell.

Yeah this last patch really broke the game in favor of monsters. Don't play.

I would also like to know what you think changed.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
What does the jackal's repulsor even do? I barely notice much when channeling it.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

I'm actually starting to think what it likely is, now that I am level 30 and being match made with level 30 the quality of hunter pubbies has remained about the same (herding cats, a bunch of non-communicative nonsense) while the monsters on the other hand have gotten better but don't have to rely on anyone else.

So I think the problem is, at low levels the game is fairly balanced. At high levels a coordinated team of hunters wins the most, but your average pub stack is going to get shredded by monsters forever.

I'm starting to think this game is impossible to balance to be enjoyable. Either you balance for comp play, or balance for competitive but either way some people are going to really not have fun.

edit: I'm not even sure anymore. I considered myself a good player but it just seems like a good monster is always going to be able to win against hunters. They say high level hunters have the advantage but I just don't see it.

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jul 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Knifegrab posted:

I'm actually starting to think what it likely is, now that I am level 30 and being match made with level 30 the quality of hunter pubbies has remained about the same (herding cats, a bunch of non-communicative nonsense) while the monsters on the other hand have gotten better but don't have to rely on anyone else.

So I think the problem is, at low levels the game is fairly balanced. At high levels a coordinated team of hunters wins the most, but your average pub stack is going to get shredded by monsters forever.

I'm starting to think this game is impossible to balance to be enjoyable. Either you balance for comp play, or balance for competitive but either way some people are going to really not have fun.

edit: I'm not even sure anymore. I considered myself a good player but it just seems like a good monster is always going to be able to win against hunters. They say high level hunters have the advantage but I just don't see it.

You're still a new player, you just don't see the mistakes you're making. Watching pros play on Twitch has really allowed me to up my game in ways I probably never would have thought about if left to my own devices. There was a recent tournament that, during the entire event, had a total of one monster win. That's how heavily slanted towards hunters this game is. At our lovely level, though, anything can happen.

• Locked thread