Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Crazy poo poo guys, they are buffing solo hunters.

quote:

Rank 1 (Max Party Size of Three)
Max Health Modifier increased to 10% from 3.2%
Movement Speed Modifier increased to 5% from 0%
Jetpack Recharge Modifier increased to 5% from 0%
Rank 2 (Max Party Size of Two)
Max Health Modifier increased to 17% from 13%
Movement Speed Modifier increased to 10% from 7%
Jetpack Recharge Modifier increased to 10% from 7%
Rank 3 (All Solo Hunters)
Max Health Modifier increased to 25% from 20%
Movement Speed Modifier increased to 12% from 7%
Jetpack Recharge Modifier increased to 12% from 7%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Renegade Abe feels pretty good and is fun. Stack up poison DoTs, make the monster take more damage, play Abe like you always wanted to and just unload your shotgun in the monster's rear end.

Plus it's a cool idea to some part just because all the other spinoffs were in the same class, but Renegade Abe threw me for a loop at first because I didn't see him in trapper, only to realize he's an assault.

Yes, this does also mean you can now begin the process of making Shear into Planet of the Abes. :madmax:

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Aug 17, 2016

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
He does seem incredibly strong.

The Malthusian
Oct 30, 2012

Trip report: Regular goliath still bad. Knifegrab, I'm seriously wondering how you do so well with him. I'm great with gorgon and wraith--haven't played kraken much--but the way goliath handles makes it feel like I'm actively fighting the game for control.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

The Malthusian posted:

Trip report: Regular goliath still bad.

Long jump around, throw more rocks. The splash on vanilla Goliath rocks is insane.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

The Malthusian posted:

Trip report: Regular goliath still bad. Knifegrab, I'm seriously wondering how you do so well with him. I'm great with gorgon and wraith--haven't played kraken much--but the way goliath handles makes it feel like I'm actively fighting the game for control.

The trick to goliath is to focus on eating more than fighting then at stage three go hog wild.

Also I feel the same way about wraith. That mother fucker's controls are finnicky and awful. Lately I've been losing a ton as monster because I keep trying niche or more fun builds that aren't as good, like high armor regen wraith, or low traversal kraken. Unfortunately they all kinda suck (or I suck with them).

I am admittedly a mother fucker with goliath, and I roll hunger, hunger, and traversal for my perks. I typically don't get boulder and I just max the other three. Normal goliath is invariably worse than meteor goliath but you can still make him work.

Really I just want to play hunter all day.

The Malthusian
Oct 30, 2012

Knifegrab posted:

Really I just want to play hunter all day.

I've been out of town a lot this past month. Hopefully, I'll be able to get some more games in soon. Looks like the playerbase is dying rapidly again, just like Evolve's first go round.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

The Malthusian posted:

I've been out of town a lot this past month. Hopefully, I'll be able to get some more games in soon. Looks like the playerbase is dying rapidly again, just like Evolve's first go round.

Yup.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
I am also still playing this awful game, so feel free to yell at me if you need bad teammates.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Me too also. Steam ID is JohnDyne and I'm on Discord every now and again with the same name.

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

Bunker builds are super strong now. It's near impossible to down hunters vs them. RAbe allows the assault to put damage manipulation into the mix. A task usually reserved for trappers and supports.

In other words, don't play monster until they poke holes in this comp. Or the games dies again. Whatever comes first.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
What is a bunker build exactly?

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

10x xp and keys is pretty cool, especially since the key bonus for going random is also multiplied.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide
The XP bonus is pretty crazy. Deffo get in on this if you want some elite skins, don't take many matches.

Captain Beans posted:

What is a bunker build exactly?

Any defensive support/medic combo I guess.

The Malthusian
Oct 30, 2012

Knifegrab posted:

...I roll hunger, hunger, and traversal for my perks. I typically don't get boulder and I just max the other three. Normal goliath is invariably worse than meteor goliath but you can still make him work.

Per your advice, I completely changed my goliath build. I go movement speed, damage reduction, cooldowns. Skip the rock. Works a lot better!

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006
boulder actually good as hell so you've done a bad thing right there son.

Also you can max a char to 40 in like 10 games or so with this bonus weekend xp they're doing, so get on and max that kala/wraith/behemoth/jack/waggie. They also added a bunch of char specific accolades so if you've been playing a bunch of diff chars a lot you are due a lot of keys, I'm up to 60k so far and I'm not done yet.

edit: up to 100k now lul

Tha_Joker_GAmer fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Aug 21, 2016

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Anyone having much luck as the monster against Palladin Parnell? He wrecks my poo poo with my current build. I think I need to use the DOT powers to stand a chance.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Anyone having much luck as the monster against Palladin Parnell? He wrecks my poo poo with my current build. I think I need to use the DOT powers to stand a chance.

Haven't had much time with the new patch, but if he's anything like original-flavor Parnell his primary weakness is being mostly-lackluster at range until his adrenaline goes up. If you can force him to keep his distance and plink away with rockets instead of shredding you with the shotgun (bonus points if you have a height advantage) his damage output is severely hampered. Try to get a feel for when he's going to use his buff and do your best to make him waste it (play keep-away, trap him in spiders, etc.).

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

lol people are still playing this turd.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Knifegrab posted:

Not me. I have...

... evolved.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

It's still fun enough to tool around with new guys so far.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Game is fun as a 4 stack :shrug: my friend circle'so go-to co-op game for now. They also made 5 player parties work in arcade mode so now there isn't even a need for puppies. Not sure why people would play solo, though, even with a reliable team half the games are stomps in either direction.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Hey haven't played in a while let's see if they fixed...

quote:

Dome Cooldown is stalled while the Monster is in combat
  • When a Monster is in combat, the Dome cooldown timer will be stalled until the Monster and Hunters are out of combat.
    • Dev Insight: This was done to give Monsters an answer against Hunter teams that will continue to get chip damage after the Dome has been called down after a fight. After playing this new system we also decreased the Dome cool down slightly to help keep a good flow in between fights.
...Guess not.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

wolffenstein posted:

Hey haven't played in a while let's see if they fixed...
...Guess not.

Honestly it's a good change, I thought it would suck at first but it only seems to activates if monsters and hunters have BOTH hit eachother recently (so Goliath hitting you with a rock stalls it, but him running away doesn't)

That said, game is still balanced in a way that's incredibly unfriendly to newer players, which isn't an easy problem to fix but hunters already require great coordination from four people while they get constantly nerfed to even out high level players or something. And new credit prices suck really hard, which makes it way way harder for new players to get the perks they need to even start being competitive. And new players want to buy new hunters and monsters first. Because perks are boring as gently caress to use all your hard-earned credits on.

I like this game but jeez :suicide: It's like Turtle Rock and 2K didn't learn anything.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Lol

Peach Pusher
Apr 15, 2003

You're Armpit

This is never going to come out on consoles at that rate.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

Knifegrab posted:

You are the only turd here man. Going from playing this poo poo 24/7 to now unironically posting how much you hate this game and at the same time talking poo poo about it.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Game was fun, it's a pity they hosed it all up again.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Yardbomb posted:

Game was fun, it's a pity they hosed it all up again.

turboraton posted:

You are the only turd here man. Going from playing this poo poo 24/7 to now unironically posting how much you hate this game and at the same time talking poo poo about it.

:qq: Game is bad get over it. Or are the droves of people abandoning it a sign that the devs are making a great game?

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Sep 30, 2016

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Knifegrab posted:

:qq: Game is bad get over it. Or are the droves of people abandoning it a sign that the devs are making a great game?

I think its more a sign of the asymmetricalness of it. In terms of player counts, a lot of asymmetrical games tend not to do well. See Chaos Theory versus, Dead by Daylight is starting to hit this phase, Left 4 Dead versus. After a while, there tends to be a very small subset of people who are willing to keep playing through it.

I also think its a pretty poor way to judge a game just based on how many people are playing it. Whether a game is good is subjective, nothing more and nothing less.

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006
whatever, at least they tried, it would be a sad boring video game world without any asymmetric multiplayer games in it. I know I've had my share of fun with it.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

knifegrab's OP posted:

Why does this game already have such mixed reviews on steam!?

People are dumb. I mean really dumb selfish idiots. Most of the people complaining are people who feel burned by the F2P model because they dropped lots of cash in the original evolve. Other people posting negative reviews got really good at ghosting hunters as a monster in old evolve where it was easy as gently caress to just forever avoid the hunters and never fight. Pretty much people are just scared of change. Really the change is great because the gameplay is much more engaging and the most important part, there is a serious player base now. The complainers would mostly prefer nothing to change than to have anyone to play with, its really bizarre. There are legitimate concerns over balance and gameplay but most of the reviews on steam boil down to "Hurr durr I spent money on this and now its different!"

loving lmao

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Chomp8645 posted:

loving lmao

True at the time, not true anymore. The initial change was p. fun then they started making it a bad game (tm).

blackguy32 posted:

I also think its a pretty poor way to judge a game just based on how many people are playing it. Whether a game is good is subjective, nothing more and nothing less.

Half agree.

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006
It has almost 2k people playing it right now and before it went f2p it peaked at 300, it will still be there for me to play when I get an urge for it. So the move to f2p has been good and it doesn't matter what people think of the game now, since it has already improved a lot for the people who liked it in the first place. Whining about it now does nothing

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

Anyone still play this? Figured gently caress it and installed it on a whim, poo poo is fun yo. Hitme up on steam https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197989590170

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007
Well this is a little bit of a shame, but not that surprising:

2K Games is pulling the plug on further development from Turtle Rock Studios on Evolve

It was a fun ride and I really liked what they did with Stage 2, but frankly it needed to be like that from the beginning. Hopefully the game will still stay online for many years to come, it was a fun multiplayer game with friends.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Good loving riddance, why they didn't change the Perk system when new players were trying out the game was beyond me

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

frajaq posted:

Good loving riddance, why they didn't change the Perk system when new players were trying out the game was beyond me

You seem to be a little bit upset about a fun game.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

It could have been more fun and kept players if they essentially didn't throw new ones to a pack of hungry wolves from the get-go :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

lol I am shocked to see that the game that was never balanced is dead. Well I had fun stomping pubs as a monster, but I uninstalled it months ago.

• Locked thread