Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Ciaphas posted:

I love me some asymmetric games so I'm gonna have to at least give this a try. How does balance between the monsters and hunters pan out, as a rule?

It's... a bit lopsided in low ranked pub games. Would definitely recommend teaming up with people who communicate and understand basic concepts like "shield the medic", "go where it looks like the monster is going" and "don't try to walk up to a guy and revive him when the monster is within loving you up distance".

I believe goons have been organizing games over mumble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Liu posted:

you can preserve your win rate by simply leaving games so dont post scoreboards as they mean nothing, thanks

Yeah, I've never left a game, it doesn't really take trickery to get that sort of score and it's not like I posted it for bragging rights. I'm fully convinced that I'd go 1-29 against Wraith as a hunter unless I had some really good teammates to carry me. There's a way higher skill floor for hunters than there is for Wraith.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
It disables their smell ability entirely, as well as removing health bars / names. It's pretty disorienting.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
G2A is a shady key reseller and you should not buy anything from them if you can help it. Buying from websites like that helps support credit card fraud.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Lemon-Lime posted:

G2A is a seller marketplace and don't sell any keys themselves. Most of the keys sold there are legitimate, and they recently added a ton more security to prevent fraudulent sellers. :shrug:

Personally I don't see how the former makes a difference and I think "most keys are legitimate" is a pretty damning statement. Do as you will, I just figured I'd warn people since I haven't seen anyone bring it up yet.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm 99% sure you need to have seen the monster to get the dome popup, I've had monsters be right on the other side of a wall without it showing up.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
It's not ideal but you can back out once you get to the final waiting screen where it shows you everyone's picks. I'm not sure if you have time to do it if you're the last to pick.

EDIT: Anyone have any tips for Gorgon? I picked it up recently and I'm not having much luck. It seems like I'm supposed to do hit and run tactics similar to Wraith, with the spiders taking the place of Decoy/Abduction as far as splitting the hunters' attention / getting them out of position, but I've been having more trouble getting a single knockdown at stage 2-3 than I've had killing entire teams as a stage 1 Wraith.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jul 21, 2016

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I'll just have to keep cracking at it I suppose. So far I can't get the spider+acid combo to happen very often and it's the only way I've managed to do anything other than piddly damage to hunters.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I guess we Blood Dragon now.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Can anyone give me tips on using Gorgon's spiders in an active engagement? I keep trying to hide behind corners with them but most of the time they just die or get stuck on geometry trying to capture someone they can't reach. Should I try putting them at the tops of cliffs more?

Also I don't know if I'd go as far as to say this balance patch made the game drastically monster-favored but trapjaws being edible now seems like a pretty huge buff.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
All of your skills do a significant amount of damage so you can just abduct someone, use decoy and supernova, click at them like you're playing Diablo and then use warp blast as a finisher if needed. If anyone tries to rescue a downed character either abduct them away or warp blast in and commence mashing buttons again. In my experience it can be worth waiting a second after abducting someone so they have time to dodge away, pressing the rest of your buttons after you follow them with a traversal, since the decoy has pretty fickle AI and supernova has a short radius and duration.

Personally I start out with 2 points in warp blast and 1 in abduct and decoy, then level 3 warp blast and decoy+supernova, then max out decoy and one last point in supernova. I don't know if that's actually good, I just like warp blast.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jul 24, 2016

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I actually think they did a good job making the numbers fit, since as the hunter you get to do 8 and 12 damage with your piddly little human bullets while the monster goes around exploding for 500. The numbers have the same sense of scale that the concept/visuals do.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Knifegrab posted:

Every bar of health is 1000 health on the monster, I do believe, I could be wrong of course.
Looking at the values on the wiki it's not very consistent. Goliath has 1400 per bar at stage 1, 1625 per bar at stage 2 and 1800 per bar at stage 3, with similar inconsistencies for other monsters.

quote:

Wraith no longer glows bright white during Supernova.
RIP Wraith the floodlight

Knifegrab posted:

Lol at anyone who backs out of matchmaking now haha.
Really? I can't think of a softer punishment for leaving during match setup.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I'll take your word for it, I guess. Would be nice if fewer people left now. I really hope you only get penalized if you're the first person to leave, though. Imagine if you cared about your streak and had to suffer through Bucket Bot to have any chance of keeping it.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
So is anyone here a fan of Elder Kraken? Having now tried every monster and adaptation (save Behemoth) it's the only one I don't really get the appeal of. I thought I'd enjoy the Scream Corridor but it tended to do a lot worse than regular Vortex and losing the constant air bombardment made the whole experience less fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

ninjewtsu posted:

so i think the recent update made it so that if you're quickplaying with a friend, neither of you can play monster.

it sucks, because i was having a lot of fun playing as monster against my bud, but now even if one of us prefers monster, and everyone else in the game prefers their own, distinct role, neither of us ends up being monster

I played in a party of 3 recently and at one point switched my #1 preference to monster, which resulted in me getting the role select screen you get in training mode once picking started. It did let me pick monster at that point, but it felt like unintended behavior.

• Locked thread