Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

I love me some asymmetric games so I'm gonna have to at least give this a try. How does balance between the monsters and hunters pan out, as a rule?

Starting out, as monster you will stomp hunters ad nauseam and you'll end up with like 98% winrates because hunter players are lovely and disorganized until about mid-level skill tier and then things are balanced. After that, high level play will see your winrate from low-skill reversed. At high skill hunters absolutely thrash monsters.

As a high level monster you have to bring your A-game literally every single time because most slip-ups are punished with a straight up loss.

Ignore any debate about which side is OP. Hunters are king. Full stop.

Fresh Shesh Besh fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jul 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

As long as the pounce connects it doesn't matter where they're facing.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Dodge makes you dodge farther and jetpack efficiency is for when you're floating without using and bursts of speed.

This is just as far as I can tell.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Electro Griffin is love, electro Griffin is life. The guitar solo that plays when you use the harpoon is the tits.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

The idea is that his altered spikes can sense a sneaking monster whereas the normal spikes cannot. So they serve the express purpose of finding monsters who want to hide in the dome. This is so niche though that they're basically pointless.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

I'm just going by what the trailer said so it could just be a crock of poo poo.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Knifegrab posted:

Man gorgon is broken as hell.

Yeah this last patch really broke the game in favor of monsters. Don't play.

I would also like to know what you think changed.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

GentlemanSquirl posted:

Those are overall stats, so as a whole the population is close to 50/50. But if we sort by premade or high skill, Hunters go to 65%+ winrates.

The solo tuning feature we have allows us to tune for premades without hurting solo and low/mid tier winrates. Each week with the Hunter adjustments, I am adjusting the Solo Matchmaking knob and it's keeping everything in nice order :slight_smile:

From lead designer in the 7/26/16 balance patch thread.

I guess it's a little vague since I didn't bother to keep reading the thread and see if they expanded on this at all. However I'd never miss a chance to point out if you think monsters are overpowered then you're dumb and I hate you.

If you really feel like you're getting thrashed all the time as hunters, get a little charisma and make some friends to play with.

For the record a lot of upcoming changes posted in that thread are hunter nerfs. :getin:

To be fair I feel like they're gonna end up going overboard with nerfs in the end.

Fresh Shesh Besh fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jul 23, 2016

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Ularg posted:

Hey, where can I go to find goons to talk or play with? Any irc/discord or mumble? If not we could always start hanging out in CTS mumble.

Along with the discord there is also an Evolve channel in the goon Mumble where at least 3 or 4 of us play regularly.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Drakes posted:

Not really feeling Jack, hes seems above average for tracking the monster down but just horrible when it comes to managing it. Can't tell if his pistols are better than other trappers primaries.

Sorry about your bad opinion. His pistols are nothing crazy sure, but literally the only time you should have your pistols out is if you're waiting for his repulsor gloves to recharge. The repulsor is incredibly frustrating for monsters, it's amazing.

Captain Beans posted:

Playing as jack I'm total poo poo with his repulser ray but as the monster that thing is infuriating. I'm still not entirely sure how it works but there are times where you literally can not move forward at all.

I think it blocks the monster from coming straight at him, which if you stick next to the medic (or the current focused target) you can just lock the monster away. Other trapper abilities just slow me down and annoy me, but never completely make me turn around.

The thing is you can curve the repulsor. If you're aiming to the left or right it will curve in that direction. This means you can block monsters moving towards you or horizontally in front of you in either direction.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

The repulsor changes color and makes a loud, obnoxious BWOWOWOWOWONNNGGGG noise when the monster is moving into it. Also the recent updates added little panels in front of the monster while using it that show which directions can be blocked by the repulsor. Once you figure out that you can curve the beam, it's very straightforward. If the color doesn't change and it isn't making that loud noise, then it's not working. Just having the beam on the monster doesn't do anything. It has got to be pointed the right way.

Fresh Shesh Besh fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jul 25, 2016

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Drakes posted:

I mean it doesn't really convey what the repulsor actually does well, like I just see the monster advancing at a similar rate to walking or something and ask myself if I just did anything with the repulsor at all.

But if was there some minor blast/knockback on mobility usage I'd probably get what was going on easier.

Jack's description when you have him highlighted says his repulsor bends and pushes against the monster, slowing him to a crawl. It literally says this in the first sentence. Is the monster practically stuck in place? It's working. Is he running unimpeded? It's not working. Is the repulsor making an incredibly loud and obvious noise along with changing color? It's working.

Honestly, what do you want? Should Jack just shout "IIIIT'S WORKIIIIIINNNNGGGGGG" for the whole duration? The repulsor does that for you. There are definitely many things that aren't obvious in the game, but sometimes you have to stop and ask yourself "Am I just oblivious to what's going on around me?"

I agree 100% when goons complain that all numbers/variables/etc should be readily available somewhere. But god drat just think for a second about what's going on when you're playing the game. I'm a little salty about this. Not at you individually; your comment was just the one that got me on this thought train.

Fresh Shesh Besh fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jul 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

As pro-nerf as I am towards hunter, anything that makes emet less playable is a sin.

• Locked thread