Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
It also doesn't seem to be easily discovered that Sunny's shield drone charges up over time and only starts shielding when it's fully charged, so re-placing it every few seconds gets you gently caress all. I'm really annoyed when it gets destroyed incidentally by monster fire breath or something though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Peach Pusher posted:

How the hell are you supposed to use Jack's repulser? The beam is always red so I know it's not slowing the monster. It's hard as hell to find a position that makes the beam slow it.

You can actually angle the beam. If the monster is moving perpendicular to you, you can aim the crosshair in front of it and the beam will bend to push against it sideways. It takes some getting used to but it can really annoy a Goliath or a Wraith, say. I've had trouble with Jack against Krakens though because they don't really care about the repulsor, so it doesn't always work that well.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

I looove the feeling of getting a good harpoon lock but I'm probably not using them in the best way. Anyone got any tips? Right now I'm just trying to land them as often as possible - is it better to try and hold them until the monster starts a traversal or a charge, to cancel their stamina/cooldowns? Or is it fine to just try and waste as much of their time as possible?

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

HMS Boromir posted:

It's not ideal but you can back out once you get to the final waiting screen where it shows you everyone's picks. I'm not sure if you have time to do it if you're the last to pick.

EDIT: Anyone have any tips for Gorgon? I picked it up recently and I'm not having much luck. It seems like I'm supposed to do hit and run tactics similar to Wraith, with the spiders taking the place of Decoy/Abduction as far as splitting the hunters' attention / getting them out of position, but I've been having more trouble getting a single knockdown at stage 2-3 than I've had killing entire teams as a stage 1 Wraith.

Gorgon might be the strongest monster at the moment and I've wiped several hunter teams on the very first Stage 1 dome. Here are some hot Gorgon tips:

Ignore Mimic entirely, it's a really awkward skill that doesn't mesh with the playstyle of the game in general. I go 2/1/1/0 at Stage 1, with the 2 either in Web or Acid Spit for taste, although I think the bonus point is more valuable in Web because of the massive radius bonus letting you catch loads of guys at once. After that I max out Acid Spit because it's ridiculously good.

Seriously Acid Spit does insane damage even before its third rank, if you catch someone with it for the full duration. You can use it to winnow the whole enemy team or to focus someone down directly, you can use it to deny the area around a downed hunter or to capitalise on someone who has been spider trapped.

Spider Traps are secretly your best weapon and can turn a fight. Use them when the hunters are hot on your trail, at the top of cliffs or around corners, to slow them down. Use them when you think they'll pass through an area, or to set up ambushes. Gorgon loves ambushing hunters that are out of position. I haven't had much success with Spidermanning up on walls and pouncing on people, but you can sure wait in a favourable position like a cave with a spider trap ready for when the hunters pass through. Once someone is spidered you just go on them and wipe them out with your skills and your attacks, because the spider does a lot of damage and they're helpless for the duration.

My fight rotation is basically to hit a guy or two with Web and then spit acid all over them and hit them until they're down. Once they're down, you drop a spider on them and repeat for someone else. If anyone tries reviving the downed guy they get captured by a spider and then you chase that person instead, spitting acid all over the spider and hitting them until they're down. In my experience hunters don't learn how to deal with spider traps at all even after they've been caught by them a couple times trying to revive their friends.

You can use the web to knock people out of position if they're being annoying with healing or shields. You're very mobile and can use webs and spider traps to slow down the hunters enough to duck out of sight and recover some armour, or drop those at the end of a dome and keep them busy while you Spiderman away. Gorgon owns.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

I'm pretty sure normal hunt does matchmake, since I started out absolutely crushing newbie hunter teams and now it's much more even and they're much more competent. Or perhaps the F2Pers are just getting better as time goes on, but that seems less likely.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Yardbomb posted:

Jack feels fun and good, is this hopefully a thing that stays pretty true as you go? About the only thing I've kind of neglected is the push ray because it never feels like I'm doing much with it, or at least as much as if I'd still just been laying into the monster with my pistols.

I don't understand this because the push ray is the only part of Jack that is unique or interesting. It's a cool skill but it seems like you have nothing to do when you're not using it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Liu posted:

Mimic has gone from being a skill I considered the worst in the game to being my favourite after I actually spent a couple games giving it a go. I'm never going back to mindlessly making GBS threads out spiders. The damage on it is pretty insane even when you don't factor in that you can also land a heavy attack just before exploding it. It does burst damage and also applies a DoT and stacking it with your other two DoT's is a loving hilarious amount of damage. If you've been avoiding mimic I highly recommend giving it a go.

I'm never skilling that loving spider ever again.

Since you said this I tried playing a couple rounds by focusing on Mimic and I still think it sucks, sorry. I mean, I still won both of those games but not as hard as I when when I go Acid Spit and Spider Trap. It's such an awkward skill to use and fucks with your momentum a lot.

• Locked thread