Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
It's five days before the first training camp opens, and we've all successfully made it through another offseason. Soon we'll have training camps, hall of fame stuff, and preseason to complain about. We've see what all our teams have done to get better (or not???) with free agency and the draft, coaching changes and whatnot, so now it's time to predict what we think is going to happen, putting it down now so we can brag about how right we were, or laugh at how wrong we were.

I will start us off. Remember, idiots, if you predict each team's season record by record, it all has to equal 256-256.

NFC East

1. Dallas Cowboys 9-7
2. Washington Redskins 9-7
3. New York Giants 8-8
4. Philadelphia Eagles 5-11

If Tony Romo was healthy last year, Dallas would have run away with this really lackluster division. I think he'll be health(ier) this year and will take Dallas to the division title. Kirk Cousins had a deceptively good year last year, but was still really bad whenever Washington played good teams. The Giants spent a ton of money this year which seemed really out of character, and Eli is about due to lead the league in interceptions again. I don't see any way that the Eagles compete, both with a new coach and with Sam Bradford/Carson Wentz. It's rebuilding time for the Eagles.

NFC North

1. Green Bay Packers - 11-5
2. Minnesota Vikings - 9-7
3. Detroit Lions - 6-10
4. Chicago Bears 6-10

With Jordy Nelson back, I think Rodgers will bounce back from a mediocre (by his standards) season. The Packers are extremely hard to beat at home, and I don't think they'll have much of a challenge in their own division. I like Minnesota, but their team is based around an Adrian Peterson who is going into his tenth season and I'm just waiting for the wheels to fall off. I don't know if Bridgewater is ready to take the team on his shoulders. The Lions lost their best player in Calvin Johnson, and now have to rely on #1 WR Golden Tate. Good luck. The Bears.... I don't know much about the Bears. Sorry.

NFC South

1. Carolina Panthers - 12-4
2. New Orleans Saints - 11-5*
3. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - 7-9
4. Atlanta Falcons - 3-13

Carolina was the best team in the NFC last year and did it without their best WR. Benjamin will be back, and I don't see Carolina slowing down at all. The Saints I think will be a surprise contender, and I see one last big push and hurrah with Brees. The Bucs will continue to slowly improve, and if they hadn't drafted a loving kicker as high as they did I'd give them 8-8. I don't see anything good about the Falcons except Julio Jones and he's being wasted with the NFL equivalent of a movie extra in Matt Ryan.

NFC West

1. Seattle Seahawks - 12-4
2. Arizona Cardinals - 10-6*
3. San Francisco 49ers - 6-10
4. Los Angeles Rams - 4-12

Seattle is still really good. Their defense hasn't been as prolific as it was a few years ago, but the offense has picked up the pace. No Marshawn Lynch means they'll have to rely more heavily on Russell Wilson, and by the way he closed last year, he looks more than ready. I still like Arizona a lot, but I've got a bad feeling about Carson Palmer's health and the Cardinals' inability to run the ball. They'll still make the playoffs, but as a wild card. I like the Chip Kelly to SF move more than a lot of people, and think there will be noticeable improvement. Chip is a really good coach, and without any GM power, will be free to just coach. I think he'll make Kaepernick look better than he did last year. Los Angeles, led by a rookie QB and most overrated head coach in NFL History Jeff Fisher will struggle.

AFC East

1. New England Patriots - 11-5
2. New York Jets - 9-7
3. Miami Dolphins - 7-9
4. Buffalo Bills - 5-11

Suspension or not, the Pats are going to win the division without much issue. Although I'm a bit concerned about their roster, especially defensively, they have Brady and Gronk and Belichick. As long as that continues, they're going to win the AFC East. The Jets could theoretically compete with the Pats, but they still haven't worked out their QB situation and insist on playing hardball with Fitzpatrick. Also, it's Ryan Fitzpatrick. Tannehill will look better than he looked last year, but the Dolphins won't get over the hump just yet with a new coach, and I just don't believe in Rex Ryan and Tyrod Taylor. The Bills playoff drought will continue.

AFC North

1. Pittsburgh Steelers - 13-3
2. Cincinnati Bengals - 10-6*
3. Baltimore Ravens - 8-8
4. Cleveland Browns - 3-13

In what is possibly the best division in the NFL, the Steelers are probably the best TEAM in the NFL. The offense is going to look spectacular. With no injury to Ben this year, I think he's going to have the best year of his career. They have a top 7 QB, a top 2 RB, and a top 2 WR in the NFL right now. It's going to be fun to watch. Cinci still has a very strong roster but it won't win the division this year with a loaded Steelers squad. Baltimore will bounce back from its year of awfulness, mostly spurred on by future hall of fame safety Eric Weddle. The Browns will be the worst team in the NFL.

AFC South

1. Houston Texans - 10-6
2. Indianapolis Colts - 6-10
3. Jacksonville Jaguars - 6-10
4. Tennessee Titans - 5-11

The AFC South will be the worst division again, but that title will change in the next couple of seasons. I don't know what Brock Osweiler really is, but I think he's better than what Houston had at QB last year. They have a really good defense and a really good WR, so I think they'll win the division. The Colts' problems are real. Andrew Luck had a really bad year last year, even without the injury. The team has done nothing to surround him with talent, and they have one of the worst rosters in the league. A good QB can only do so much, and nothing about Luck's overall stats say anything about him being even a "good" QB. The Jags are a year away from competing, but I like where they're going. The Titans are a few years away. Mike Mularkey.

AFC West

1. Kansas City Chiefs - 9-7
2. Oakland Raiders - 9-7*
3. Denver Broncos - 9-7
4. San Diego Chargers - 8-8

A division with no exceptionally good teams and no godawful teams, the AFC West should go down to the last week of the season with everyone in play. Kansas City is committed to ball security and running the ball, but has no real star power with Alex Smith and Travis Kelce and Jeremy Maclin. They'll be solidly efficient and kinda boring to watch. Oakland will be more fun to watch since they have a more big play offense. Carr is the real deal and I hate that the Raiders have Amari Cooper. Khalil Mack is a beast and if the Raiders do something to make their defense better outside of Mack and Spence, they could be really really good. Denver I think will regress just a bit, but still have a really good defense. Defensive rankings are more varied year by year than offenses, so it's unlikely that Denver's D will be that dominant for a second straight year. The Chargers have the best QB in the division and some really good pieces, but absolutely zero depth. And considering the injury bug over the past few years, that's not a good combo. The Chargers did everything they needed to in the draft and free agency this year, but it's more than just a one year rebuild. They'll be better than the 4-12 team they were a year ago.

Playoffs:

1. Carolina Panthers
2. Seattle Seahawks
3. Green Bay Packers
4. Dallas Cowboys
5. New Orleans Saints
6. Arizona Cardinals

1. Pittsburgh Steelers
2. New England Patriots
3. Houston Texans
4. Kansas City Chiefs
5. Cincinnati Bengals
6. Oakland Raiders

Wild Card

Green Bay over Arizona
Dallas over New Orleans

Oakland over Houston
Kansas City over Cincinnati

Divisional

Carolina over Dallas
Seattle over Green Bay

Pittsburgh over Oakland
New England over Kansas City

Championship

Seattle over Carolina
Pittsburgh over New England

Superbowl

Pittsburgh over Seattle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Can a mod change the title to 2016 plz

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

The Chiefs offense got better when Charles got hurt

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Metapod posted:

Ross predicts 5 wins. Improvement \:unsmith:/

I think you guys will be a lot better in 2017 and 2018 :)

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

warcrimes posted:

Spence? do you mean Irvin or Smith?

:headdesk: Smith. Damnit. It was late at night ok

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

AAA DOLFAN posted:

The AFCEast huh

He forgot he wasn't a Bills fan anymore

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Pron on VHS posted:

Chargers put everything together and win the AFC West

I like you

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Your "good" list didn't mention Danny Woodhead or Branden Oliver. Shame.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

MrLogan posted:

You know the Raiders beat Osweiler last year when he was on a much better team and have improved since last year's team, right?

This is going to be one of those games the Raiders win by 14+.

the transitive property doesn't work in football

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

warcrimes posted:

You sure you grew up on the West Coast? In cali it has always been niners fans.

Uh, no. At least not in SoCal.

And Raiders fans have always been cocky no matter how good the team actually is. My Raiders fan friends have predicted going to the playoffs every year since the mid 2000s.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Sad King Billy posted:

I'm from England and I know next to nothing about American Football, though as a kid I did like the Dolphins, god knows why. Anyway I used my intuition to make some predictions. The leagues look different to most of the predictions I have seen but the Superbowl lineup looks familiar.

Seahawks to beat Patriots.

http://nflplayoffpredictor.com/?L=IzBMZdJGr2HwMwJo1d5WqiPvQEF467HjYVoShXV1rmMnUs1l5H2ey1VPM+kWoRFggA

hell yeah ties

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Pron on VHS posted:

Chargers and Raiders will definitely be above average teams this year, unless some bad injuries happen

sam bradford lmao posted:

The AFCW is any team's for the taking

we might not be the best division in the NFL but I think we're gonna be the most competitive. I wouldn't be surprised if all four teams go 3-3 in divisional play

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Why are you so defensive when other people predict the Raiders won't be amazing

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Philip Rivers will have more TDs and fewer INTs than Derek Carr

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

And hopefully lots of beating each other up

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Genocide Tendency posted:

Also stop thinking that Denver will fall off a cliff. Its still the best defense in the league, a stupidly talented receiving corps, and good run game. Its how Denver has won all of their titles.

John Elway, Peyton Manning, Trevor Siemian.

One of these things is not like the other.

Also history has shown us that a generational defense is much more varied from year to year than offense. The 85 Bears didn't repeat, the 00 Ravens didn't, and the 02 Bucs didn't even come close. Denver defense last year was so good that it overcame their -4 turnover margin. That's not going to happen again.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Chromatic posted:

lol at everyone picking the chiefs to have a better record than 9-7.

it really wouldn't surprise me if we get shithoused this sunday by san diego

It'd sure surprise the hell out of me

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Chromatic posted:

Our corners are not great(With the exception of Peters, who is still unproven as gently caress, as he had Sean Smith locking down the #1 forcing QBs to throw Peters' way), our linebackers are a big question mark with Hali and Johnson being old with bad/unproven guys behind them, and a safety holdout who is probably rusty.

It might be a clusterfuck.

I'm worried about the other side of the ball

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

aperion posted:

The thing I don't get is why they would trade Talib? If it's over the gunshot thing, I haven't heard of any fallout over that aside from, well, the hole in his leg.

Because they're not gonna re-sign him after this year, so why not try to get some value?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Skwirl posted:

I know it's 20/20 hindsight and I'm a Seahawks fan and everything, but why did so many people pick the Cardinals over the Seahawks to win the NFC West this year? Is it that Marshawn Lynch retired?

Because they won the division easily last year and there was nothing to indicate any kind of regression this past offseason

• Locked thread