Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
I think the Lions will be 6-10 at a minimum, but I have high hopes they'll do better than that. I don't think playoffs is realistic this year with a strong Vikings and Packers, but I'm guessing the next two years they'll be ready to contend again.

Analysis (scroll to the bottom for predictions):

The strength of schedule is one of the easiest in the leagues this season at 27th.
2015 record: 7-9 (sos: .527, 15th)
2016 sos: .465 (T-27th)

Defense:
Good:
Deandre Levy (LB) is back.

A'Shawn Robinson (DT) looks like a 7 year veteran, and was expected to go in the first round.

Kyle Van Noy (LB) is in a prove it year so he may actually step up for some linebacker depth.

Slay (CB) should still be awesome.

Bad:
It's unknown if Levy will return to form.

Robinson had work ethic questions, and that's rumored to be why he dropped to the second.

KVN hasn't shown any professional football skills yet. He's a hometown boy from Reno so I'm hoping he does well.

LB depth is supposedly weak.

S depth is supposedly weak. Miles Killebrew was added and has a reputation as a brutal hitter, and Glover Quin is still around, but I've seen a lot of chatter on S and CB worries.

CB depth is likely weak, and CB2+ is basically unknown.

Coaching:
Good:
They brought on a dedicated game clock manager which has been a glaring weakness of Caldwell's.

They still have Teryl Austin who despite a poor defensive team last year, he did make the Lions into a top 3 defense just two years ago.

Jim Bob Cooter seems to be working the scheme to his players (analysis: http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2016/7/11/12138156/film-breakdown-jim-bob-cooter-building-offense-around-players-strengths) rather than Lombardo who decided copying the Saints without a lot of the Saints' talent was the best way to go about it.

Bad:
JBC could probably be blackout drunk all season and still do better than Lombardo. He is supposedly incredibly smart, but the playbook will be all his this year which is probably a ton of pressure.

Apparently the game clock manager was bad at game clock management as a college head coach.

Offense:
Good:
OLine should be improved to I'm guessing league averageish with all of the depth they added and Reiff possibly going to RT which he supposedly feels more natural at (potential upgrade at two positions with Decker).

2015 1st round pick G Tomlinson is going into his sophomore year.

Geoff Schwartz was added and is supposed to be very versatile and I believe he's expected to provide good depth this year, and adds a little bit of a veteran presence on a young line (which who knows if this actually affects game performance).

Marvin Jones and Golden Tate should actually be a good receiving duo. As far as WR3+ seems like they're waiting for training camp to really figure this out.

Calvin Johnson wasn't his old self in 2014/2015. He was plagued by injury. I haven't watched games since last season, but I believe he wasn't commanding double teams every play as before.

Stafford ended the season with the stats of a top 10 QB. There were some brutal games last year to start the season off. Keenan Allen stomped all over them game 1, they played the Broncos game 3, Seattle on the road game 4 (which they almost won, but CJJ uncharacteristically fumbled the ball at the end zone), and the Cardinals week 5.

Bad:
CJJ despite not being young CJJ is gone.

Young line.

C will probably be bad again this year.

Questionable:
In 2014 while CJJ sat out Tate posted 1,300 yards in 99 receptions. In 2015 he posted 813 yards on 90 receptions. It's hard to say exactly what he'll do. I have faith in the Tate.

Marvin Jones. He's supposedly a really good receiver but I don't know much about him.

Special Teams:
Muhlbach may be gone.
???

Overall Lions Prediction:
- 6-10 is my guess at a minimum. I'd say 10-6 with a 1st round wildcard loss is the ceiling.
- 3-3 in the division games
- Lions win Thanksgiving game vs the Vikings
- Offense is worse than average of the league (22nd-17th)
- Defense is better than average of the league (15th-12th)
- Special Teams is below average (24th-32nd)
- Jim Caldwell gets fired Black Monday if no playoffs, for my guess Matt Patricia. This is Quinn's freebie year.
- Lions draft at 15th

NFC North Division Predictions:
1. Vikings
2. Packers
3. Lions
4. Bears

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jul 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
TFF seems pretty bad with the predictions up to this point (myself included, but I figured the Lions weren't going 4-11). Someone called the Bengals missing the playoffs with Marvin Lewis potentially walking, and Rex Ryan being fired just at the end of the season though "because the players like him so much".

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Modest Mouse cover band posted:

Overall Lions Prediction:
- 6-10 is my guess at a minimum. I'd say 10-6 with a 1st round wildcard loss is the ceiling. Correctish.
- 3-3 in the division games Correct. 2 losses vs Packers, 1 vs Bears
- Lions win Thanksgiving game vs the Vikings Correct
- Offense is worse than average of the league (22nd-17th) Debatable. 5th in yards per drive. 21st in YPG. 7th in drive success rate. Hail Stafford gently caress the dropsies the receivers had this year.
- Defense is better than average of the league (15th-12th) Ahahaha. Way wrong. 30th in the league in drive success rate right there with NO and Washington.
- Special Teams is below average (24th-32nd) Incorrect. They were pretty close to best in the league thanks to Sam Martin, Don Carey, and Matt Prater.
- Jim Caldwell gets fired Black Monday if no playoffs, for my guess Matt Patricia. This is Quinn's freebie year. Incorrect if the rumors are true.
- Lions draft at 15th Making the playoffs should make this incorrect.

NFC North Division Predictions:
1. Vikings Incorrect
2. Packers Incorrect
3. Lions Incorrect
4. Bears Correct

• Locked thread