Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

SSNeoman posted:

You know this cryptic "you know not what poo poo you're in" would normally annoy me, but it sort of works in Pathologic. Partly because I suppose everything in the game is about that unhelpful.

It also helps give the game this creepy otherworldly vibe that I'm pretty sure was entirely intentional. You're a stranger in a strange land where everyone hates you and either wants you dead or doesn't give a gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

meowtroid posted:

I feel the same way about some of the old lines so, where I can, I try to maintain those ones that I remember. For instance, in the opening pantomime with the 3 protags, I maintained Artemy's line "Will can make any choice the right one." The line had been re-translated to "Any choice is correct so long as it's willed" which I didn't like as much because it was less direct in tone (using a passive voice rather than an active voice) and it was also a bit less clear in its meaning.

Yeah I agree, that was better.

My favorite of the original lines was at the end of the bachelor's campaign when a child said to him, "Ask whoever you want. Your name is Bachelor. You are a scary clown, and when we play with you, you are always bad". I think it's an oddly concise way to sum up the Bachelor's conduct throughout the game, and it wrecks his self-image since he seems to think he's a hero with all the answers.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

KataraniSword posted:

It also helps give the game this creepy otherworldly vibe that I'm pretty sure was entirely intentional. You're a stranger in a strange land where everyone hates you and either wants you dead or doesn't give a gently caress.

Even more so in the Haruspex's case.

The Bachelor starts the game well fed, respected and with a place to sleep. The Haruspex is injured, tired, hungry, has no place to sleep and is chased around as soon as he arrives. If he gets hit once, he doesn't have enough health to donate blood, which is the easiest way to restore his reputation in order to be able to buy from shops. Haruspex is hard mode.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It's interesting how much of a mystical character Bachelor seems, even from the beginning. Even if it's just being able to cast Detect Protagonist.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Glazius posted:

It's interesting how much of a mystical character Bachelor seems, even from the beginning. Even if it's just being able to cast Detect Protagonist.

Well, part of his story is that he's here originally to interview Simon Kain, the dead town leader, who was supposedly hundreds of years old -- the Bachelor is obsessed with eternal life, and thinks he can attain this through science. He's received some ridicule for this in the academic community. In true Russian fashion, the square-jawed science hero's story looks very different from the Haruspex's point of view.

A lot of the atmosphere of Pathologic comes from getting that the town's problems are not mundane in nature. It's very much an example of magical realism.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Alexeythegreat posted:

Also, If you don't mind, I'll be talking about how to properly pronounce things, because Burakh does not have a [kh] at the end. This is the sound. and there is no way to properly romanize the words that have it. I can even post voiceclouds, if anyone's interested :v:

The name seems similar to the Hebrew 'baruch' meaning 'blessed', which also ends on a non-romanizable sound (though I don't know if it's the same one). Rather appropriate for a character taking the spiritual role of the three heroes, does Russian have a similar word his name's referencing, or is it coincidence?

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Oh my god, you mad bastard. A Pathologic LP? This game is misery in its purest form, and that's what makes it wonderful. We'd better figure out some rites and sacrifices to help keep the game from destroying you and everything you love.

The new translation is pretty great at making the game playable, but sometimes I miss the otherworldly, brain-twisting sentences of the original broken translation.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

StrangeAeon posted:

We'd better figure out some rites and sacrifices to help keep the game from destroying you and everything you love.
Well, it's over a month now since the last update and last post by the OP, so the game might have started to work its dark magic!

Would be great to see it carry on though, I can't even remember the original translation now, but I don't think I've finished either of the previous LPs because it was a bit too incomprehensible story wise. This definitely feels much clearer.

meowtroid
Jul 5, 2016

The Meowtroid Prime

Perhaps a hamster posted:

Well, it's over a month now since the last update and last post by the OP, so the game might have started to work its dark magic!

Would be great to see it carry on though, I can't even remember the original translation now, but I don't think I've finished either of the previous LPs because it was a bit too incomprehensible story wise. This definitely feels much clearer.

My apologies, lovely people! This thread ain't abandoned, but as you might imagine, this is one hell of a game to try and compile - and I just went through gettin' a new job, getting a new living sitch with my boyfriend, and starting my bachelor's degree all at once.

BUT people don't care for excuses, they want results! I'm here to say that I'll be returning to working on this in whatever tidbits of spare time I get, especially with the Season of Halloween happening! Coming up next will be a brief 'intermission' update that shows basically what happens during downtime between each 'Day', followed by the start of Day 2.

Look forward to that soon and thanks for your lovely support on this thread c:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I spent four years LPing Just Cause 2, I'm not about to judge.

• Locked thread