Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
IC Thread

For quite a while now, I've been working on a Powered By The Apocalpyse game based on Shonen battle comics. Inspired by works like Dragonball Z, One Piece, Naruto, and Bleach, the game has evolved a lot from its root in the attempt to emulate this genre. It actually started more as an experiment and I purposely started off with it as a direct hack of Apocalpyse World and iterated on it, draft by draft, from there. It has, as you might imagine, has changed a lot since its first draft and has done some things that may not go over well with the PbtA community.

I've run some playtests in the pasts and made many changes as a result of them such as split playbooks, overhaul of the technique system, etc. However, those playtests were done over voice and were not recorded nor long term. They lack both the ability to be reviewed -- beyond notes -- and the ability to test the long term consequences of the mechanics. Regardless, the newest draft needs playtesting.

It's very likely, for example, that the game breaks down after session one, for all I know. Maybe it doesn't even last that long.

If you want to see the game, you can find the revised eighth draft here.

What I'm seeking to do here is to do a PBP playtest of the title and see how it works in the long run. I plan on running through at least two big arcs and the defeat of two main villains as well as one reset. This is to test its long-term capabilities as well as the "reset" rules.

Now, the game has rules for working with your players to make the world during chargen. As such, I'm not looking for characters in the applications. Instead, as this is a playtest, I have a few questions to help me use the feedback from this playtest as well as get a diverse group of players.

When making an app, please answer the following questions:
  • How long have you've been in the tabletop hobbies?
  • What other roleplaying games have you played?
  • What is your favorite roleplaying game?
  • Have you played a Powered By The Apocalypse game before? How do you feel about the engine?
  • Are you a shonen battle comics fan?
  • What do you think about shonen battle comics?
  • What series have you seen/read? Dragonball Z? Bleach? Etc?
  • What is your favorite series?
  • What do you like about tabletop games?
  • What do you like about shonen battle comics
I know that is a lot and this is asking a lot. I realize that and I'm sorry. But, if you're willing to put up with that -- one sentence answers are totes fine -- it would really, really help me with the playtest and this is why I chose to set up the app process this way.

After we choose the players, we will create the worlds and characters.

I'm looking for 4-6 players. Recruitment closes on Saturday, July 23rd.

If you have a question, you can ask here or at this discord chat.

Covok fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Aug 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Okay, sounds interesting. I'm guessing you want us to answer the first session world building questions alongside the other questions as well?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Arashiofordo3 posted:

Okay, sounds interesting. I'm guessing you want us to answer the first session world building questions alongside the other questions as well?

No, we'll do that together after the players are picked.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
How long have you've been in the tabletop hobbies?

I've been playing a veriaty of games since about... 2010? Maybe earlier. Picked it up when I was at university and haven't really put it down since.

What other roleplaying games have you played?

90% of the New World of Darkness (Vampire, Mage, Mummy, Geist, Demon, Promithian, Changling, Hunter), Vampire: The masquerade, Monsters and Other Childish Things (Which is amazing by the way), Dungeon World, Masks, Monster of the Week, Fellowship, Spirit of 77, OVA, BESM, Mutants and Masterminds, Dungeons & Dragons 4e and 5e, Katanas and Trenchcoats, Strike!, One Ring LOTR RP, Supers, Shadowrun 5e, Ars Magica, Double Cross, Dungeons the Dragoning, Golden Sky Stories, Make You Kingdom, ERA role play system, Fate, Fate Accelerated edition, Dresden Files RPG, Great Ork Gods, ICON super hero roleplay, Final Fantasy d6, Call of Cthulhu, Ryuutama, Giant Guardian Generation, PDQ

What is your favorite roleplaying game?

Bit of a toss up between Monsters and Other Childish Things, and the PBTA system and its permutations. Really been getting into Masks recently.

Have you played a Powered By The Apocalypse game before? How do you feel about the engine?

I've played a number of different PBTA games. Some of which I've named in the list above. I love the narrative flexibility, and the mechanical simplicity. In comparison to the Fate system which offers the narrative openness but obtuse mechanics, PBTA gives lots of fun things to play with without bogging the player down. I still want to try Monster Hears at some point.

Are you a shonen battle comics fan?

I've read and seen a few of them. Used to buy a couple of series back before I found that you could just read them on the internet. I would definitely say it had an effect on the way I think through action sequences.

What do you think about shonen battle comics?

Despite the somewhat repetitive nature of the format. I find their creativity fascinating. The variety of powers and abilities has always drawn me in, and the fights can get really fun.

What series have you seen/read? Dragonball Z? Bleach? Etc?

Bleach, Natuto, One Piece, Fairy Tail, Kenshi strongest Disciple, Black Cat, Parasite the Maxim, Log Horizon, Darker then Black. There are probably a bunch more, but I can't recall.

What is your favorite series?

Fairy Tail, I rather enjoyed the whole Wizard guild aspect. Thought that was pretty cool. Same reason I liked Log Horizon.

What do you like about tabletop games?

Openness, creativity, imagination, getting into a characters mindset, winning the day, and having a blast!

What do you like about shonen battle comics

Stuff getting over the top, inventive powers, fun settings, enjoyable characters. Also, whenever they get animated the musical stings are awesome. Oh and who can forget the 'poo poo just got real' speeches? Those are great.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I've been interested longer, but only really started playing around 4-5 years ago.

Advanced D&D, 3.5, Pathfinder (briefly), Monsterhearts, Masks, Dungeon World, Fellowship, FATE, FAE, Fiasco, Battle Century G, probably forgetting some

Monsterhearts

Have you played a Powered By The Apocalypse game before? How do you feel about the engine?
Yes. I quite like the narrative freedom and flow you get with it and the simplicity of the system is a bonus.

Yes

They usually run between fun, exciting fun and stupid fun.

One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, Negima, UQ Holder, My Hero Academia, Kongo Banchou, 7 Deadly Sins, 666 Satan, Fairy Tail, Battle Angel Alita, Battle Angel Alita Last Order, Gunnm Mars Chronicle, History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi, Black Cat, Parasyte, Hunter x Hunter, Yu Yu Hakusho, Inuyasha, other ones I'm forgetting.

Probably Negima after it stopped focusing on harem hijinks and got to the really good fights.

They're a fun mixture of strategy, action/fantasy and collaprotive fiction work.

What do you like about shonen battle comics?
Interesting, creative or just generally cool fights, underdog victories, raising stakes/dramatic tension, impressive and over the top climaxes, amusing character interactions

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

My other car is an asteroid
:black101:
About the same length of time as Arashiofordo3, but to a lesser degree. I'd consider it earlier than he does though, since we started with Warhammer 40K back in high school and when that ruined us financially and meant we had no space in the house, moved on to other things. Do not regret my decision.

If it's roleplay games in particular and not just tabletop games, dungeons and dragons 4th but also participated in the 5th edition playtest, monster of the week, Vampire the Masquerade, Hunter the vigil, Monsters and other childish things, FATE, All Flesh must be eaten, Supers

I don't really have one, most of my experience is in Vampire the Masquerade but there are other systems I like the look of but haven't had a chance to play.

Monster of the Week, it was pretty good, character building was simple and just let us get straight on into playing the game, the mechanics worked well and I didn't feel like anyone was stepping on anyone elses toes.

It's not really a genre I'm too interested in, no. I also couldn't tell you precisely what makes a shonen series particularly shonen. Far as I can tell there's got to be a tournament arc in there somewhere and sudden dramatic revelations of powers which are quickly proven pointless once the next enemy roll around.

While I often like the story at first the amount of time it can take for things to progress can be frustrating. Such as fights that go on for hours and devolve into tedium (looking at you dragon ball z)

Dragon ball z, bleach, hunter x hunter, parasite the maxim, sword art online, log horizon, overlord, yu-gi-oh, little bit of one piece, naruto, fairy tail, no game no life, various gundam shows, black lagoon, full metal alchemist (original not brotherhood), Gate: and so the self defense force fought, Tengan Toppen Gurren Lagen, Black Cat, When the seagulls cry, when the cicadas cry, probably others but those are the ones that come to mind.

Log Horizon, I liked how they kept the fact it was still clearly a game a part of the story, like how the main characters nearly get killed by trash mobs because they can't work out how to navigate the combat menus.

How open they are, I'm from a video games background, where every action must either be accounted for or left out. In tabletops you can decide any course of action, not just those that the medium lets you choose.

Whether that course of action is popular or successful or even works... well I suppose that's part of the fun.

Often times the base ideas are amazing and attention capturing. I am a sucker for flashy powers and clever uses of them. For instance, I once heard of a show where one of the bad guys could see the future or predict your every move. They went up against the main character and immediately just surrendered because he could see there was no way to win. That is an infinitely cool move. God drat.

JohnOfOrdo3 fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jul 16, 2016

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Since the nineties, let's say.

"Basic" D&D, AD&D (1e, 2e), D&D (3e, 3.5, 4e), Traveller, GURPS (Fantasy, Supers, Space, Mecha), Heroes Unlimited, Rifts, Rolemaster, Champions, Fantasy Hero, Stormbringer, Call of Cthulhu (4e, 5e), Delta Green, Toon, Mechwarrior, Paranoia, Cyberpunk 2020, Mekton Z, Dream Park, Shadowrun (1e), Star Wars (West End, Saga), Vampire: the Masquerade, Werewolf: the Apocalypse, Mage: the Ascension, Changeling: the Dreaming, Mage: the Awakening, Masquerade / Laws of the Night, Aberrant, In Nomine, Amber DRPG, Lords of Gossamer & Shadow, Buffy: the Vampire Slayer, Legend of the Five Rings (1e, 2e, 3e, 4e), 7th Sea (1e), Deadlands, Exalted (2e, 3e), Mutants & Masterminds (1e, 2e, 3e), Fantasy Craft, Mouse Guard, Unknown Armies, Over the Edge, Big Eyes Small Mouth (1e, 2e), Tenchi Muyo, Silver Age Sentinels, The Authority, OVA, Battle Century G, Tenra Bansho Zero, Golden Sky Stories, Double Cross, Ryuutama, Maid, Savage Worlds, Realms of Cthulhu, 13th Age, Hillfolk, Trail of Cthulhu, FATE (core, accelerated), Atomic Robo, Dresden Files, Dogs in the Vineyard, Apocalypse World, Monsterhearts, Dungeon World, Fellowship, and Dread.

I'm probably missing a few, though.

I don't have a favorite. To me, games are tools you use and you try and find the best one to use for your project. I'm really fond of Double Cross right now, though.

Yes. The strength of the engine boils down to the strength of the basic moves and playbooks and how well they direct roleplay, so it can vary a lot between something that's very strong (Monsterhearts) and comparatively weak (Dungeon World).

I don't know that I'm a fan per se but I've definitely been exposed to more than my fair share.

They can be a lot of fun but can become formulaic or overextended.

Battle Angel Alita, Bleach, Flame of Recca, Fist of the North Star, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Kill La Kill, My Hero Academia, Naruto, One Piece, and Tenjou Tenge. It's always hard to qualify what exactly constitutes a "battle manga" - there are some that have elements like Ranma #1/2, One Punch Man, even something like Yakitate!! Japan that probably aren't technically battle manga - but those are the ones that come to mind for me.

For battle manga? One Piece; it's just written and seemingly planned on a level that's massively beyond most others, and is just fun in a way a lot of others miss. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure gets an honorable mention for its sheer creativity.

Being somebody else and having adventures. Having puzzles (tactical or literal) and the like is nice, too. I like traditional gaming elements in there, but that's icing and not the cake.

I like the ideals and the idea that things like friendship and hard work can overcome any challenge. I like the varied casts of characters, since that usually gives you one or three to hook your interest. And lastly, I like the puzzle-like nature of fights, that often (or, at least, in the better battle manga) it's not just the hero's strength that wins out, but their wits and ability to improvise.

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde
I've got my hands full at the moment, but after everything's taken care of (probably late Sunday), I'd like to write an app for this.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"

Can't quite remember, I used to have my brother's collection of D&D 3.5 books and used to go around just to read his WoD stuff. I liked reading role-playing books, even if I don't get to play them. I bought this SA account specifically so I could play tabletop games over the internet.

I've dabbled in D&D 3.5 and 4, read up on almost everything under the Storyteller System (Exalted, Scions, oWoD, NWoD), played PDQ games on this forum out the rear end, Marvel Heroics, Legends of the Wulin, Tenra Bansho Zero, Fate Core (old and new), Fate Accelerated, Warhammer Roleplaying both 40k and Fantasy, and a bunch of other stuff I can't recall at the time.

The one I am actually participating in at that time. And if it has martial arts and/or superheros I will consider that a bonus.

I've made characters in both Monsterhearts and Masks which are both Apocalypse games I think, but so far I have yet to be in a game that goes on for a long while. I would like this to not be the case.

As for the engine, well I am always a big fan of class based games that have aspects or jobs different and distinct from one another, so I automatically give it a double plus thumbs up for wildly different playbooks. My only real quibble comes down to the fact that it doesn't really seem to lend itself well to fighting dudes and general combat purposes, when all you really have to do is roll the one 'DO FIGHT' or 'PUNCHED IN FACE' move and apply what modifiers you feel necessary for crunch stuff. Although I assume that exists so you can fluff it up accordingly.

I can take it or leave it if it's there and the setting interests me (My Hero Academia, One Piece, JJBA) but I don't actively seek them out.

A bit like junk food really. I know it's not all that great and it's probably not very good for me, but sometimes I get a craving for something and I just have pop in to the few staples I know I enjoy, just for a little taste of that greasy unhealthy goodness.

I watched Dragonball Z on TV when I was a wee lad (And various flavours of robot animes like Gundam and Metabots and anime based around card games and toys like Yu-Gi-Oh and Beyblade that were also on TV), I've seen the big three of Naruto, Bleach, and One Piece (and used to watch/read them regularly until I got bored and moved on), and have also taken cursory glances at other things without watching them, clips and the like. Slightly recently I've read parts 1-7 of JJBA, My Hero Academia, Gurren Lagaan, Kill la Kill (Do they count as shonen?), and a bunch of other weird poo poo that I can't recall at the moment.

JoJo's Bizzare Adventure, hands down, no contest, pack it in and go home other animus because it's gloriously dumb and weird and perfect. And also it doesn't fall into some of the biggest shonen traps that a lot of series fall into, namely 'Never actually just finishing a story' (See Bleach) because of how it's broken up and 'Having the main character get so stupidly powerful and important that the other side characters might as well not be there because only he can beat the current bad guys' (See Dragonball Z' later sagas and Dragonball GT where all the non-Saiyan characters seem to exist solely to die to show how POWERFUL the new villain is)

I also like One Piece for similar reasons as the one above, with a story that allows for it to keep on going, and the other members of the Straw Hat Pirates getting their own battles and cool moments in an arc rather than throwing themselves at the main bad guy until they are mince and then letting the Protagonist sort it out again.

I like relish the chance to be able to flex writing muscles and just make a compelling story. Something about doing it collaboratively with a bunch of other people, makes me put more effort in then when I tried to do it on my own, other then the fact that maybe I am just extremely lazy when it comes to solo effort.

What do you like about shonen battle comics.

I don't mind the formulaic 'Fight multiple goons and then BEAT THE BOSS' format if the battles and characters are actually fun to look at. A comic about two plain looking dudes hitting each other with sticks would be boring, but suddenly one of them is spewing out radioactive death rays from all orifices, and the other is trained in the Shu-Yun-Reppa Hissatsu Fifty-One Lotus Death Blossom Style and suddenly that's a dumb but engaging fight to check out.

It's a bit like the difference between eating a plain burger on it's own, and a Royale with Cheese, it's still a burger either way but the toppings on the latter make it much better then the first.

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jul 16, 2016

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

I played in my first D&D game back in middle school, so 15 years give or take? I've been in a place where tabletop gaming isn't really convenient, so I'm just getting back into things in the last few years.

I've GMed Dungeon World and a very simple generic PbtA game (pretty much just the 2d6+/- modifiers) for my students. I've played D&D 3.5 and 4E, Apocalypse World, Fate, Exalted, and some other stuff. A Naruto D20 hack, even.

Right now, I'd go with Masks. I like that the actual superpowers are at a more narrative level while the mechanics focus more on the team dynamics and exploration of identity.

Yeah, I have. I think the engine is great as long as the basic moves line up with what you want players to be doing. The math is good too, as long as modifiers don't get out of control.

Yep!

At their best, they can be very fun reads about, well, friendship and effort leading to victory. I like the ones that get inventive with powers or creative with the way battles play out

Tons. I've read the big three, Dragonball Z and I follow along with whatever looks interesting and gets a thread in ADTRW. I'm more into mecha, generally, but there's always room for a fun shonen romp.

Shonen? Hunter X Hunter, though I have a huge soft spot for Saint Seiya and Flame of Recca. Overall? Probably Gun X Sword or One Punch Man.

I like the collaborative world building aspect. I think that the whole PbtA play-as-conversation thing is brilliant and really engaging. Messing around with the math is something I find fun, but I prefer games that don't lead to an optimization gap.

I like the formula, really. The best series set up the various bits and fiddle with how they come out, but I am the person who gets excited about yet another tournament arc. As long as the battles are good, anyways. :v:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I was in a previous playtest!

Since the beginning of 2013, doing stuff on here.

The Fate trio, OVA, Chronicles of Darkness, Monsterhearts, Masks, Strike, D&D, Battle Century, a bunch of other things

I like lighter stuff like Fate, OVA, PBTA, and Strike

Yes I have! I like the emphasis on roleplay over mechanics and it's simple to learn and run.

Yes I aaaam.

It's a pretty predictable genre, but that can be good. It's really easy to have a series just get bloated and lose steam (Naruto, Bleach) but if you have something good, it can last quite a while.

DBZ, Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, Jojo, My Hero Academia, Shaman King, One Punch Man, Hunter x Hunter, Soul Eater, FMA, and probably a lot more.

My current Four Emperors are Jojo, Academia, One Punch Man, and One Piece. I also really liked Shaman King and Soul Eater.

I like to create and become a character in a fantastic adventure. When I was a kid, I always wanted to go on an adventure, and tabletop allows me to do that.

Burning spirit! Attack names! Hot blood! Really bad jokes!

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Quite a while, I really started getting interested about when D&D 4e came out, but I'd been in and out before that.

AD&D, D&D 3.5, D&D 4, Pathfinder, Dungeon World, Strike, PDQ, FATE, FAE, Exalted 3, Star Wars D20, Star Wars FFG (Age of Rebellion), Shadowrun 4, Atomic Robo RPG, Mutants & Masterminds, NVampire(Both pre and post God Machine Chronicles, NMage, Top Secret, ORE, and some others I can't remember off the top of my head.

Hmmm... that's a toss up. It sort of depends on the type of game you want to run. PDQ is good for more free-form stuff as it's pretty rules light and flexible though it sucks at anything involving combat, 4E is very fun on a mechanical level, but it can be a bit much for a lot of game types.

I've played Dungeon World once or twice. It's a pretty good middle of the road engine between something lighter like FAE or PDQ and something with a bit more mechanical heft like 4E.

I tend to catch them more on the anime end than in manga, but I am a fan of the shonen battle genre.

They're often good popcorn fun, but can vary wildly in quality, good shonen stuff is both fun and engaging, cheap cash in stuff can be boring as hell. I generally appreciate it when it's got an interesting gimmick, fun characters, and stays away from the creepy sexism stuff Japan can sometimes indulge in.

I've seen Bleach and One Piece on and off, a good chunk of Naruto, I watched Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z when I was a kid, I've watched a good chunk of World Trigger before the switch to the filler arc, Gundam Build Fighter and Build Fighter Try, My Hero Academia was good, JJBA (Battle Tendancy was my favorite of the arcs so far), Shokugeki no Souma, and I'm not sure if you'd count Tokusatsu in this genre though some shows definitely lift themes but I've seen most Heisei-era Riders and a smattering of modern Sentai shows.

EDIT: Oh, how could I have forgotten the most insane and hilarious shonen manga ever, the Legend of Koizumi.

Probably Gundam Build Fighters. They really blew everyone's socks off since people expected a cheap cash-in, and instead got a fun show with really great musical direction, top notch fight choreography and likeable characters. Also, the fact that they were fighting with toy models let all the fights have a lot of real back and forth and hit hard.

Chances to explore fun worlds and interact with others, also escapism.

Interesting fights and gimmicks, fun and enjoyable characters, the normal stuff.

Valhawk fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jul 16, 2016

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I have read the D&D manuals for most of my teenage years, salivating at the thought of actually playing, but that probably doesn't count. Ever since I joined these forums I have played a bunch of games, so I want to say that I have been really into it for about two years now.
D&D 3.5, Chuubo's Marvellous Wish-Granting Engine, GURPS, a bit of Fellowship, Masks and FAE ...oh, and an earlier draft of this game. :v: I am now GMing a Dreadful Secrets of Candlewick Manor game and participating in a Strike game.
CMWGE, without a doubt. It's written beautifully and the Arcs are somehow both focused like a laser and capable of covering a variety of characters, something for which I am an absolute sucker for. Jenna Moran is a genius.
Not for very long, but I did try my hand on Masks and Fellowship a bit, though neither game went on for very much. I appreciate the idea behind it, especially how it allows players some degree of control over the narrative. There is something to be said about emulating a single genre, but doing so in a complete manner and efficient manner.
Not particulalrly. Usually I'll find some secondary character that I like, one allowed to have powers too weird to give a main character, and watch their fights on Youtube.
I never really felt the need to watch or read most of them. I don't really enjoy formulaic or predictable stuff, unless it has some amazing window dressing to accompany it.
I watched Pokemon and Digimon as a lad, as well as Yu-Gi-Oh, and even those just barely count. That's pretty much it.
Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc-V, which is the only one I watched in recent years. I appreciate the surprisingly stratified plot, the fact that the setting has some mysteries (and not "mysteries" that mistify the characters but are obvious to the audience) and that occasionally the protagonist gets his butt handed to him.
I appreciate them on several levels: I love acting, using the mechanics to represent the character that I have in my head- or the other way around, being inspired by a certain rule or class or gimmick to create a character- the game itself, where the choices you make regarding your character actions get translated and applied into rules, all of this is beatiful on a very basic level to me.
Characters with bizarre power sets, and those interacting with one another; interesting fantasy worlds, often unbound from the tropes that you see in every other fantasy world (although at the same time beholden to tropes of their own); the battles themselves, if well choreographed, can be pleasant to look at.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 16, 2016

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Since about 2001, if you don't count pc games converted from a rules set (Baldur's Gate, etc.)

D&D 2e through to 3.75e, Shadowrun, L5R, Exalted, most WoD/nWoD settings, PDQ, RIFTS, FATE, Apocalypse World/other *World hacks. I've played plenty of others games as one shots or aborted PBPs, and read countless more books that never got table time.

D&D 3.5. Not because of any mechanical reasons, but because my favorite gaming memories are tied to it. It worked well enough for our needs, and most of the gaming stories my friends and I remember fondly are from a campaign using those rules.

Yes. I enjoy it quite a lot, even if PBP isn't the best platform for the engine. It removes most of the cruft and lets you get down to the nitty gritty of what the game is about. No hundreds of pages of bloat or tens of setting/rules expansions.

I don't go out of my way to read them, but if one really catches my interest it's hard for me to stop.

On the surface it's a lot of spectacle with little depth. But I appreciate the general underlying theme of having to work hard and become better to succeed. Even if quite alot of them involve giving the main characters absurd upgrades that kind of shoots that message in the foot.

DBZ, Claymore, One Punch Man, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Battle Angel Alita, Fist of the North Star, a decent amount of Bleach, Naruto, and One Piece before I got distracted and never remembered to catch up. Bits and pieces of other media that just didn't do anything for me.

Claymore, by far. It hit all the right notes for me. DBZ is a close second just because it's such a classic. And Vegeta was never not a fun character.

Telling an interesting story, and seeing what my characters does and where they wind up. It's usually not where I expected.

Ridiculous people getting into ridiculous fights and yelling ridiculous things at one another. And the power of being hot blooded and/or determination being the greatest force in the universe.

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde

Since 2009. That's when I joined my school's gaming club.

I've played quite a bit of D&D (3.5 and 4th edition) and Shadowrun (4th and 5th edition). Lately, I've really gotten into New World of Darkness. I own most of the books (even the fansplats), but I've mostly played Mage. There's also Fate and the Dresden Files RPG, Monster of the Week, Monsterhearts, Dungeon World, Mutants and Masterminds (2nd and 3rd edition), Anima: Beyond Fantasy, Final Fantasy d6, D20 Modern, Fight!, Pathfinder, Cybergeneration, and Worlds in Peril.

I don't think I could pick a favorite. I like the games I've mentioned for different reasons.

Monsterhearts, Dungeon World, and Worlds in Peril. I'd say I'm a fan of the engine. It makes gameplay and character creation easy. And it seems to bring out my creative side when it comes to roleplaying.

Yes, but the list of series that I've really enjoyed is relatively small.

On the whole, it's my preferred genre. I like action series, especially when martial arts or mecha are involved. But I've run into more than a few manga with a story that just didn't go anywhere, or painfully uninteresting characters.

Yu Yu Hakusho, Rurouni Kenshin, One Punch Man, Dragonball Z (and some of the original Dragonball), Mobile Suit Gundam, G Gundam, Gundam Seed, Gun X Sword, Shaman King, Digimon (I've checked out every series up to Data Squad), Pokemon, Fist of the North Star, Parasyte the Maxim, Full Metal Alchemist, Naruto, Kiddy Grade, Inuyasha, Shakugan no Shana, Chrono Crusade and Negima.

I really enjoyed G Gundam. It was a nice change of pace from other Gundam series without being impossible to take seriously. Plus, it managed to combine martial arts and giant robots in a way that worked pretty well. Negima is also awesome (once you get to book 3. Though, 1 and 2 weren't unbearable). I love the setting and the superpowers. There's even a section at the end of each book explaining the mythology or even physics behind the characters' abilities. As far as I'm concerned, those are worth the price of admission alone.

Exploring amazing worlds full of danger and adventure. Being someone with incredible powers. Creating a story with the help of other people.

The crazy, over the top action, including the attack names. The unashamed idealism and hope for a better world. A lot of my favorite series can have surprisingly deep characterization and worldbuilding, too.

DeTosh fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jul 18, 2016

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Curses from all directions!

The first time I played was in the 7th grade. My fledgling writing efforts happened in the 10th, and I've been playing and writing since. Both of these events happened literally decades ago.

My very first was TMNT and Other Strangeness, with AD&D, GURPs and West End Star Wars happening after that. Then there was the Werewolf/Vampire/etc. fad. Palladium things. After that, it gets kind of hazy for a while with lots of IRC homebrew featuring prominently; later transitioning into Exalted for some reason. There have been a lot of systems that followed, but the most memorable or recent ones are FATE, Ryuutama, Golden Sky Stories, Tenra Bancho Zero, Battle Century G, Strike!, Mouse Guard, Chuubo's Marvelous Wish Granting Engine, Monsterhearts, and OVA. I've forgotten many, and left out many others. There've also been oodles of other games I've actually read/made characters for, but never actually got to play.

Embarrassingly, it's probably 2nd Edition AD&D. Not because of anything having to do with it's gameplay, but because that's the system that got the most use among my local friends, so it was the one being used at the table for the majority of the silly/awful/great gaming moments of my youth.

I got into a Monsterhearts game once and I had such hopes, but it just didn't pan out. Any other Apocalypse game I've tried to get involved with, I've failed to make the cut. The core mechanic is elegant and pretty solid.

Not really. In fact, sometimes because the craziness gets so crazy I have a tough time figuring out what's going on from panel to panel. That's why, unfortunately, I tend to watch anime mostly instead.

I think they're lucky to not have filler arcs the way their anime counterparts are sometimes forced to have.

Some One Piece, some Bleach, assorted Gundams, everything FMA, Claymore was great. Probably lots of other things I can't quite remember. Akame ga Kill was probably the most recent thing I watched to completion, but My Hero Academia is on my to-do list.

Escaflowne. Which technically had a shonen comic adaptation, but this somehow seems like cheating.

The collective story-making, the character interactions, seeing what all I can make for a character.

The dramatic way things always escalate. Not just power-wise, but also plot-wise.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Just as a reminder, recruitment closes on Saturday at 11:59 PM.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Alright, today's the last day. 11:59 PM EST is the cutoff.

I'll try to get the picks out soon after.

Seriously, thanks for all the help. Seriously.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Looking forward to it. Good luck, everyone.

Covok
May 27, 2013

One last reminder, you got one more hour to apply.

Covok
May 27, 2013

So, my picks are in. First off, thank you to everyone for applying. I tried my best to choose people who would give a diverse selection of feedback.

Now then, the picks.

• Alien Rope Burn
  • The Nabster
  • Tricky
  • Waffleman
  • Valhawk
  • Bahamut

I'll start setting things up soon.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

:japan:

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Sweet. Looking forward to fun and helping!

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde
Oh, well. Some other time, then.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Just as a heads up, I'm gonna tweak some of the document because I got some feedback that showed a lot of exploits. Also, I got a suggestion to try to cut down the number of playbooks for "core" to make balancing easier. Might use this playtest to help that.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Hurrah I am the anime now.

And preemptively I'm voting for Space Cops as our anime theme.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yay!

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

My other car is an asteroid
:black101:
congrats to all those picked.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I'm gonna do some quick patch work to fix those exploits that were shown to me. For example, the Direct can apparently one shot any fight.

While that happens, lets do some world building.

This playtest already revealed one problem: I got five questions and six players so I added a new worldbuilding question. Each one of you can pick one to answer and that will help establish our world.

Anyhoo, the questions are:

• What’s the big aesthetic of this comic? Pirates? Ninjas? Ghosts? Something else?
  • What gives people power? Is there anything that gives them power or is the world just like that?
  • Why do people fight? What motivates most people? Is there some big goal?
  • Does something tie all the characters together? A tournament? A shared master? A shared enemy? An acedemy? Something else?
  • How is this world different? Is it mystical? Medieval? Science Fiction? Something else?
  • What is the name of this manga?

After that, we'll begin to discuss making characters. Once we know the world, we can know what character concepts to have, you know.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Covok posted:

What’s the big aesthetic of this comic? Pirates? Ninjas? Ghosts? Something else?

Windmill slams his answer on the table

POLICEMEN

We are going around kicking the ever loving poo poo out of Crime and Criminals for JUSTICE and such.

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jul 25, 2016

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Covok posted:

What’s the big aesthetic of this comic? Pirates? Ninjas? Ghosts? Something else?
Well I'm a big fan of Toku, so I'm pretty flexible here. Let's not do ninjas or pirates if only because it'll be too easy to become a pastiche of Naruto or One Piece.

quote:

What gives people power? Is there anything that gives them power or is the world just like that?

Always a tough choice. Using objects as a powersource is pretty classic, but I could go either way.

quote:

Does something tie all the characters together? A tournament? A shared master? A shared enemy? An acedemy? Something else?

Shared enemy is pretty classic, and gives us a lot of leeway for diverse backgrounds and archetypes.

quote:

How is this world different? Is it mystical? Medieval? Science Fiction? Something else?

I'd say near future Sci-Fi or Mysticism. Let's avoid anything too far out there.

---

TheNabster posted:

Windmill slams his answer on the table

SPACE COPS

We are going around kicking the ever loving poo poo out of Space Crime and Space Criminals, in Space!

Can we actually keep it closer to home, world building a bunch of different planets seems like it'd be less interesting than focusing on more singular location.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

You pick one question to answer Valhawk.

Valhawk posted:

Can we actually keep it closer to home, world building a bunch of different planets seems like it'd be less interesting than focusing on more singular location.

Doesn't have to be a bunch of planets, could be one big planet, could be one big spaceship as a city. Could be policing the cyberpunk future in MegaTokyo 2.5

I dunno, that's not my business I picked the theme as SPACE COPS as my question, so it's everyone else's duty to fill in the gaps and I was on a Space Patrol Luluco kick. But it can be just POLICEMEN if you want something less thematically tied, and then you can go GHOST COPS or WIZARD COPS or ROBO COPS

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jul 25, 2016

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Covok posted:

What is the name of this manga?

Junbungaku Bellerophon, whose name I selected based on a few criteria:

1 - Bellerophon is a legendary hero who did badass things. We will be doing badass things, so it seemed appropriate.
2 - It's kind of generic in terms of relating to the game's setting and features, since a bunch of those have yet to be decided.
3 - There isn't a manga or anime already named Bellerophon to my knowledge.

And don't worry, I will make a better logo later.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Covok posted:

What gives people power? Is there anything that gives them power or is the world just like that?

Going based on "Junbungaku," I think that notable characters are powered by literary classics manifested as some sort of crazy anime weapon.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I know we're currently worldbuilding, but let me shoot something past you all.

Someone made an interesting proposal to me: it might be easier to playtest if I put some playbooks away for a later supplement and kept less playbooks core.

Not including victories, draft 8.5 has 8 friendship playbooks and 9 effort playbooks for a total of 72 combos. She suggested that might be a lot to do on the first past. If I put some away for later and just focused on making a small selection I considered core work, it might turn out better.

I marked the ones I'm thinking of moving to a later book (The Avenger, The Straight Man, The Tireless; The Firecracker, The Inventor, The Relentless, The Strategist). This would leave 5 friendship playbooks and 5 effort playbooks for a total of 25 combos which may be more manageable. This would be on top of a bunch of other patches.

What do you all think, for the purposes of our playtest? Should we move from draft 8.5 to draft 9?

Edit: Decided to keep Avenger and put away Guardian for later instead as well as keep the Relentless and put away the Ordinary. Decided that playing the non-fighty guy is something for later, overall, so I can ensure the main focus -- the fighty guys -- works for now.

Covok fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jul 26, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Covok posted:

How is this world different? Is it mystical? Medieval? Science Fiction? Something else?

I'll say it's mystical. Some good old contemporary fantasy!

Also do whatever you feel will be best.

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Covok posted:

What do you all think, for the purposes of our playtest? Should we move from draft 8.5 to draft 9?

While I always like having options, I do find that when testing things it's easier to start with a smaller base. It's your test though, so you should handle it how you wish. I won't be hurt if certain things are taken off the table for the time being in the interests of helping out.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Covok posted:

• What gives people power? Is there anything that gives them power or is the world just like that?

It comes from their dreams. It's a bit of taking the subtext text, but hey, why not?

By that partly it comes from people with strong motivation, but they also actually obtain it by lessons or quests within their dreams themselves symbolic to that. Then, superpowers.

Maybe there's some baddie that's found out how to give people power outside of that process through the dreamrealm or whatever.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Oh yeah. Well, cut stuff you don't think is ready for testing, though I think a wide variety of options is important to the lifespan of a *World game, so I'd keep stuff in consideration to add back in if you think the idea is strong enough. It's always a little frustrating playing early iterations of a game like Fellowship or Masks that were strong conceptually but had a shortage of playbooks I found inspiring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Covok posted:

• Does something tie all the characters together? A tournament? A shared master? A shared enemy? An acedemy? Something else?

A shared enemy, a man driven by the desire for power and conquest who has gained the ability to awaken the dream power of others. It was he who caused the power of the characters to awaken, but for their own reasons they have rejected him and decided to attempt to stop him.

• Locked thread