Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

Since I'm all caught up on Haikyuu, and still have a bit of a hankering for sports anime, how is Yowamushi Pedals? I've heard it's good, but a) is this true and b) does it end on a good conclusion? Or is it like Haikyuu where I'm going to finish it and instantly need more of it, because Haikyuu S2 ends with a "TBC in S3!"

Yowamushi Pedal is great! And what he have so far ends at a very good spot, but it's popular enough that they're actually doing another season.

It doesn't have the same kind of relationship drama that Haikyuu is very good at, but there's a bunch of great characters and most of their race strategies are awesomely brutal. It's not as well animated, but it does start looking a lot better in the second season which is cool. Also: every episode has a jokey after credits scene which owns.

So yea, less BROODING more PEDALING UNTIL YOU'RE HALF DEAD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

devtesla posted:

Yowamushi Pedal is great! And what he have so far ends at a very good spot, but it's popular enough that they're actually doing another season.

It doesn't have the same kind of relationship drama that Haikyuu is very good at, but there's a bunch of great characters and most of their race strategies are awesomely brutal. It's not as well animated, but it does start looking a lot better in the second season which is cool. Also: every episode has a jokey after credits scene which owns.

Brilliant! I'll check it out, thank you! I'm so happy there's so much good modern sports anime. :3:

e: Yowamushi Pedal is definitely not as good as Haikyuu, but it's so charming I'm having fun anyways. Just finished the third episode and I'm looking forward to future races!

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Oct 13, 2016

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I watched the Yowamushi Pedal movie, and I'm a little conflicted. I like Yowamushi Pedal, therefore I enjoy More Yowamushi Pedal, which the movie certainly is. But it's just stuff from the second movie in a different town. The big showdown between Sohoku and Hakone. Makishima vs Toudou in the mountains. the sprinters from both teams facing off in the flats. Even the stuffed spider Onoda gives Makishima. It all happens again. And they already made two movies summing all that stuff up!

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is there a thread for Days? It started off kinda weak, but the past few episodes it's really been good.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
So with all the sports anime airing this season, I've been getting more interested in the genre. What are some of the must-watch classics, both the over-the-top shonen battle kind and the realistic, more grounded kind?

Also since no one has mentioned it yet I'm going to recommend one of my personal favourites, Rookies. Sports anime/manga isn't my usual jam, but delinquent manga is a guilty pleasure of mine.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Inadequately posted:

So with all the sports anime airing this season, I've been getting more interested in the genre. What are some of the must-watch classics, both the over-the-top shonen battle kind and the realistic, more grounded kind?

Also since no one has mentioned it yet I'm going to recommend one of my personal favourites, Rookies. Sports anime/manga isn't my usual jam, but delinquent manga is a guilty pleasure of mine.

Ring ni Kakero for the shonen battle and Ashita no Joe for grounded realism. Maybe read the Ashita no Joe manga instead, the anime is pretty slow paced for awhile

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Inadequately posted:

For the former, Hajime no Ippo is incredibly solid. The later seasons get a bit shaky at times but the first anime stays great from start to finish.

Ping Pong is one of my favorite anime ever and while the way the matches are portrayed isn't grounded everything else surrounding the matches serves to humanize all of the players instead of resorting to stock archetypes.

For something very grounded an Adachi series is a perfect fit. Touch and Cross Game are two of his big standouts with anime adaptions, the latter is easier to watch since it might still be streaming and it's half the length of Touch. His stuff really focuses more on the day to day life of his cast, which makes the eventual serious drama stand out that much more.

For something really oldschool you can watch Aim for the Ace. I highly recommend the movie over the series. Dezaki is an amazing visual director and in movie form he has the means to really go all out instead of having some reliance on stock footage.

That's just stuff off the top of my head, there are a bunch of others I missed but I figure that's plenty of episodes to watch already.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Either I suck at looking or there really arent any anime/manga about ice hockey, lacrosse or curling. That is depressing. :(

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I actually just watched Aim for the Ace a couple of days ago, but your post reminded me that I have a couple of volumes of Cross Game lying around that I never got around to reading. Thanks for the recommendations.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Furnaceface posted:

Either I suck at looking or there really arent any anime/manga about ice hockey, lacrosse or curling. That is depressing. :(

cross manage for lacrosse
theres a curling manga i know of, but i forgot its name and only 1 chapter was translated anyway
found this for icehockey
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=321071

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Satoru Noda did an ice hockey manga before Golden Kamuy, but nobody's translating it.

Quirkk
Sep 1, 2012

Furnaceface posted:

There's Baggataway for lacrosse manga but only about 20 chapters have been translated.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

K. Flaps posted:

Satoru Noda did an ice hockey manga before Golden Kamuy, but nobody's translating it.

this is a travesty

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

devtesla posted:

I know I am in the very small miniority but I feel like Haiykuu is seriously overhyped. It is good but its not among the greatest animes as some people pretend it to be. Also the motifs of birds representings teams gets hammered on for so much during the first season its annoying.

Yowamushi Pedal is a really fun show to watch and is the opposite of Haikyuu. Even though its good there isn't a huge fanbase or hype around it because it doesn't lend itself to super hype or gif animation moments like Haikyuu. Yowamushi is more about tension of the race than super clutch hype moments. You get some of those with Midousuji and Onoda but its mostly about the flow of the race.

Maybe season 2 of Haikyuu will change my mind.

I been actually watching Inazuma Eleven the anime which is based on the DS game by Level5. So far the best way to describe it would be its like Eyeshield or Kuroko in the sense that everyone has insane powers and thats totally normal to everyone. One of the differences is that the kids are probably in middle school. Its about soccer and everyone has batshit crazy powers. The main character is the goalkeeper and he has the ability God Hand which basically can block any shot. There is all these cool effects for everyones abilities. I feel like its even more out there than Kuroko which was already shouneny as hell. It is for a younger audience. If you watched Yugioh/Pokemon/Digimon and don't mind some of the simpler storytelling its actually still very entertaning because of all the crazy abilities. I just started watching it but there is poo poo tons of seasons for this show even though I had never heard of it. It must have been popular. Oh also it is done by OLM who made great masterpieces such as Pokemon and the old Berserk anime.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
YowaPeda is great because it actually gets away with having each episode end 10 feet down the road from where it started, with nothing happening but character development. I'm pretty sure there's one episode that ends with the characters in the exact same place, but it doesn't feel like it drags because it's just that atmospheric.

(on the popularity of it: shout-out to the one single person at Portland Comic-Con that recognized my Shinkai cosplay, she was so drat excited.)

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ya I totally agree with that. Sometimes even though they try to push the fact that they are riding at a super high speed you barely notice them advance or pedal fast(in animation). Thats why the best parts are when there is 1v1 races toward the end of a checkpoint or race.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Hey just want to say that Scorching Ping Pong Girls is a cute and fun moe sports anime, that also has some neat animation.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

nielsm posted:

Hey just want to say that Scorching Ping Pong Girls is a cute and fun moe sports anime, that also has some neat animation.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
Anything that's really stupid/goofy/insane and also a team sport? I'm looking for something along the lines of Yu-Gi-Oh. I know Inazuma Eleven is like that, but that's no longer on Hulu so I dunno how to get that.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

demota posted:

Anything that's really stupid/goofy/insane and also a team sport? I'm looking for something along the lines of Yu-Gi-Oh. I know Inazuma Eleven is like that, but that's no longer on Hulu so I dunno how to get that.

Eyeshield 21

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

demota posted:

Not a team sport but Ring ni Kakero.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

demota posted:

Keijo starts off 1v1 but pretty quickly becomes all team stuff

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Smoking Crow posted:

Eyeshield 21
This, but for the love of God read the manga instead of watching the anime.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

demota posted:

If you actually want to watch Inazuma Eleven, you'll have to resort to fansubs. Well, if you want to watch all of it that is. I have no idea how far the dub actually got, and I'm not sure if they even dubbed Inazuma Eleven Go to begin with.

At the very least, I'm pretty sure it has been completely subbed. I remember ending up watching, quite literally, all but the very final episode right before my old computer died years ago.

That said, the subs are the kind with the whole Group Name/Logos, IRC addresses, and subber credits during the credits. Also, the more flashy karaoke and insert music karaoke too.

But for what it is/was (a shonen battle anime, but with soccer), it was entertaining to me. Not an amazing series, but it's fun enough. Especially to see what new special techniques come out of the woodwork and such.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

what should i watch now that i have finished haikyuu. and please dont say chihayafuru because ive already started that

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

VostokProgram posted:

what should i watch now that i have finished haikyuu. and please dont say chihayafuru because ive already started that

Looks like you've answered your own question

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

VostokProgram posted:

Major

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Free

Yowamushi Pedal

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:
Big Windup!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Yah. It definitely scratches a similar shounen-y sports itch.

Either that or Yowamushi Pedal.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Eeevil posted:

Big Windup!

Seconding this. I did a big write-up of why I love the show so much in the last sports thread and you should read it!

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Anyone reading Kami-sama no Volleyball? Devoured 10 volumes this weekend, and it was a lot of fun. A prick that's the height of arrogance is told he'll be the Japanese national team's new manager if he wins the junior high championship with a school that's never won a tournament game. What follows is the unfolding of his grand scheme to manipulate not just the prefecture clubs, but somehow the entire country into the perfect position to work this miracle, with enough results to make the kids wonder if maybe he really is a god. Tons of ridiculous tactics and strategies to fool the other side into thinking they've fooled this side, and so on. I haven't read Death Note, but I imagine it to be something like this. Should be two more volumes out, but I can't seem to find them.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

an_mutt posted:

Seconding this. I did a big write-up of why I love the show so much in the last sports thread and you should read it!

My roommate is really into baseball and we came across this one while looking for a good 'realistic' (no superpowers, just strategy) baseball anime. However, after giving it the three episode test, my roommate deemed it unnecessary to watch further as he was so incensed by the coach's insistence to destroy the MC's finely-tuned accuracy in order to make him "throw harder". I hope I'm remembering this correctly, but basically, he was on the catcher's side, in that the tactical advantage the MC provided through his accuracy was worth preserving.

My question is, does this get explained reasonably? You say it is by a sports psychologist, so I imagine there has to be a good reason the coach pushed the pitcher like that which the audience isn't allowed to be privy to at first for the sake of being dramatically cryptic. Just curious as I think a lot of things can get a bad rap at first glance.

Reminds me of moments in Hajime no Ippo or Eyeshield where the coaches get really racist at times, but it's still worth it to keep reading for the other parts. I still need to go back and give Ballroom e Youkoso another shot because I left off at a point where it looked to be getting really sexist and degrading and I wasn't sure how to take it.

Quirkk
Sep 1, 2012

FutureCop posted:

My roommate is really into baseball and we came across this one while looking for a good 'realistic' (no superpowers, just strategy) baseball anime. However, after giving it the three episode test, my roommate deemed it unnecessary to watch further as he was so incensed by the coach's insistence to destroy the MC's finely-tuned accuracy in order to make him "throw harder". I hope I'm remembering this correctly, but basically, he was on the catcher's side, in that the tactical advantage the MC provided through his accuracy was worth preserving.

My question is, does this get explained reasonably? You say it is by a sports psychologist, so I imagine there has to be a good reason the coach pushed the pitcher like that which the audience isn't allowed to be privy to at first for the sake of being dramatically cryptic. Just curious as I think a lot of things can get a bad rap at first glance.

Reminds me of moments in Hajime no Ippo or Eyeshield where the coaches get really racist at times, but it's still worth it to keep reading for the other parts. I still need to go back and give Ballroom e Youkoso another shot because I left off at a point where it looked to be getting really sexist and degrading and I wasn't sure how to take it.

Sort of. Part of the problem is that he really does throw very slow. It's also because just having accurate pitching doesn't necessarily make it hard to hit. At some point they'll have to face batters who will hit him easily regardless of how clever the catcher is. I don't want to explain too much because it might spoil the show, but they go into the mechanics of things quite a bit. I'd definitely give it another go, it's in my top tier of sports anime.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

darkgray posted:

Anyone reading Kami-sama no Volleyball? Devoured 10 volumes this weekend, and it was a lot of fun. A prick that's the height of arrogance is told he'll be the Japanese national team's new manager if he wins the junior high championship with a school that's never won a tournament game. What follows is the unfolding of his grand scheme to manipulate not just the prefecture clubs, but somehow the entire country into the perfect position to work this miracle, with enough results to make the kids wonder if maybe he really is a god. Tons of ridiculous tactics and strategies to fool the other side into thinking they've fooled this side, and so on. I haven't read Death Note, but I imagine it to be something like this. Should be two more volumes out, but I can't seem to find them.

this sounds super cool, though it doesn't seem to have scans/an english release :(

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
I immediately jumped into the new episodes to see why Midousuji had joined Hakone, and instead the first episode destroyed my heart. Yowamushi Pedal is the best because it doesn't pretend to actually be about bicycling.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

I can probably recommend Cross Manage, about a footballer whose knee injury crushes his dreams of the future, until he bumps into a girl at his school who's terrible at but still incredibly fond of lacrosse, and she convinces him to become their club manager. The art is nice, with lots of cute girls, and it's got humour and romance and sports all in one package, with the benefit of being completed at 5 volumes. Might step on a few clichés, but it's short and sweet, feeling fresh with both an unusual sport and the management perspective. Seems like someone's been working on a translation this time?

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Made it through 4 volumes of Aoashi, a football manga that got nominated for this year's Manga Taishou. Pretty good so far, maybe even one of the best I've read with focus on this particular sport, even if the art is quite rough. Certainly much better than DAYS. Deals more with the professional side of things, as the young protagonist is invited to the tryouts of a professional club's youth team. Starting out, the feeling I get is that it's more interested in handling internal struggles and emotional development than lining up game after game in some big tournament.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Sesuji the high school ballroom dance manga in Shounen Jump is ending next week, apparently. :(

• Locked thread