Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Anoia posted:

This game is just tvtropes in a blender.

Take Ingram. His big secret, the thing that's supposed to make him sympathetic and cancel out all the other bullshit (an argument some other article about this game used, no less), is that his ex-wife ran off with his daughter and she died. You find out about the ex-wife on day one only if you intentionally get his first order wrong and give him a sweet girly drink.

I really loving hate that to unlock new dialogue you either have to be a lovely bartender or a lovely person.

Am I supposed to find it tragic he paid lolibot 5000 to pretend to be his kid? That it says great things about his character he then DIDN'T gently caress her? No, it's still creepy, and he's still an rear end in a top hat.

There's a dozen different ways you can approach this to make an initially abrasive character more sympathetic, and they just charged head first into "BUT HE HAS A CHILD AND SHE'S DEEEEEAAAAD! :byodood:"
Honestly, when sexbot mentioned that Ingram paid her to act as his daughter I just laughed, not because I thought it made him sympathetic but because I considered it a "one small world" brick joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Anoia posted:

You find out about the ex-wife on day one only if you intentionally get his first order wrong and give him a sweet girly drink.

I can understand, in the abstract, why someone would want to do something like this in their game, but it just does not translate well into gameplay. Why would a player expect that loving up his first drink would open up a significant extra conversation? Does every character have special dialog for specific, unintuitive drink combinations you just have to trial and error into? That just sounds like a tedious way to encourage replayability.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Pavlov posted:

I can understand, in the abstract, why someone would want to do something like this in their game, but it just does not translate well into gameplay. Why would a player expect that loving up his first drink would open up a significant extra conversation? Does every character have special dialog for specific, unintuitive drink combinations you just have to trial and error into? That just sounds like a tedious way to encourage replayability.

Fans of this game have seriously replayed over and over, throwing every possible drink combination at people, to see how that changes things for "maximum waifu potential."

Some characters have favorite drinks they will never come close to describing to you, you just have to stumble into it.

So if you love tedious, unintuitive bullshit, this is the definitely game for you.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

EclecticTastes posted:

There's a reason nobody's ever attempted "Law and Order SVU, but a sitcom".
Luckily, with Ice T as a regular cast member, nobody needs to.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Y-Hat posted:

Luckily, with Ice T as a regular cast member, nobody needs to.

Real or fake Ice-T SVU quote is a fun game to play.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Anoia posted:

Real or fake Ice-T SVU quote is a fun game to play.

Yeah

This game

I want it.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Sazero posted:

You're flipflopping between "This game is deep" and "Lol it's just a chill game bruh". :tvtropes:
No, the game touches on deep subjects. It does not go in depth into those subjects. That's what I'm saying.

NeruVolpi posted:

Point in question : good writing means development, empathy , and simpathy.

This will never be achieved when characters just sit in front of you and start babbling edgy stuff in your face. And then you have the option to stop them through alcoholic coma.

The game does have all three of these, but the 'in media res slice of life' start muddles it quite a bit. Also I have a feeling there's a serious culture gap in how the bartending is handled since it seems to me to be more reminiscent of Japanese bars where the bartender isn't just there to serve you drinks but also to be a conversationalist. (I flashed back to Yakuza bar scenes quite a bit during the game.)

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
The game is made by venezuelans and stuffed with american pop culture references. I don't think the problem is us misunderstanding the deep complexity of nipponese culture.

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

I'm Doctor Shibbo, and this is Jackass.
Nap Ghost

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Yeah

This game

I want it.

Round 1:

"Lab found traces of cocaine and sourdough. They call it Sweet Chowder - drug soup from Baltimore."
"It's called Brenda. Kids try it at parties, next thing you know they're on cameras online, getting paid to yell at their own genitals."
"You have the right to an attorney, and if you puke in my car, I'll kill you."
"Don't make me chase you! I will shoot your rear end from right here!"
"They glued pubic hair to his face and told him he was the Wolfman."
"Yo, who the hell are you calling a bitch? This is the police!"
"Final semester. Some scumbag professor tells him to finger a stork if he wants to graduate."
"Aw, man. You were rubbing your mother's feet?"
"These dudes kidnap kids and teach 'em how to play piano. Night before the big recital? They break their fingers."
"I must be your fairy godmother!"

Place your bets.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Answer:

shibbotech posted:

"You have the right to an attorney, and if you puke in my car, I'll kill you."
"Don't make me chase you! I will shoot your rear end from right here!"
"Yo, who the hell are you calling a bitch? This is the police!"
"Aw, man. You were rubbing your mother's feet?"
"I must be your fairy godmother!"

I, too, read The AV Club. These are the real quotes, I've seen most of them. Think I've seen the episode with that first quote like five times over various USA weekend marathons.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

My first spite avatar change and I wasn't even the one who bought that avatar. :sigh:

I've been waiting for an excuse to get rid of the pussy cartel gang tag forever, though. Thanks Shibbo, you're a real pal.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

The classiest crazy bullshit magic Half-Elf, you'll ever meet.

EponymousMrYar posted:

No, the game touches on deep subjects. It does not go in depth into those subjects. That's what I'm saying.

I stand by my "This game doesn't examine poo poo" statement from earlier. :colbert:

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Sazero posted:

I stand by my "This game doesn't examine poo poo" statement from earlier. :colbert:

How can it when it's busy telling you poo poo instead of showing you anything? Boss is a badass. There's so much fighting on the streets. Trust us, ok, it's a grim future even though idol bot loves having her panties stolen.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

In fairness, if J-pop idols are still a notable thing in 207X then that's pretty grim.

Or maybe *Kira* Miki's creepy fanboys are all decrepit nonagenarians who refused to move with the times. That's why she's not scared of them--they'll shatter a hip if they try anything.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jul 24, 2016

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Really Pants posted:

In fairness, if J-pop idols are still a notable thing in 207X then that's pretty grim.

Or maybe *Kira* Miki's creepy fanboys are all decrepit nonagenarians who refused to move with the times. That's why she's not scared of them--they'll shatter a hip if they try anything.

Manufactured and tightly controlled pop stars designed to push merchandise while also playing on the obsession of single fand doesn't belong in your cyberpunk future?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

They wouldn't be vocaloids, though. That'd be moldy oldies in '7X.

I'm picturing some kind of abstract hologram fractal bullshit. Just a big bunch of colorful flying triangles that look really nice when you're getting cyber-high on your synth-drugs.

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

I'm Doctor Shibbo, and this is Jackass.
Nap Ghost

EclecticTastes posted:

I, too, read The AV Club. These are the real quotes, I've seen most of them. Think I've seen the episode with that first quote like five times over various USA weekend marathons.

I actually don't read the AV Club, but you're a winner. Congrats. I'd offer you plat, but you'll have to settle for an internet brohug instead. :3:

Anoia posted:

My first spite avatar change and I wasn't even the one who bought that avatar. :sigh:

I've been waiting for an excuse to get rid of the pussy cartel gang tag forever, though. Thanks Shibbo, you're a real pal.

Anything for you, bby. What's a stranger but a friend you haven't met yet, after all.

Really Pants posted:

They wouldn't be vocaloids, though. That'd be moldy oldies in '7X.

I'm picturing some kind of abstract hologram fractal bullshit. Just a big bunch of colorful flying triangles that look really nice when you're getting cyber-high on your synth-drugs.

Binaural beats + LSD + Mandelbrot sets = CYBERPUNK MEGADRUGS

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Can't we just ban depictions of sexualized minors and be done with it?

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.

Pavlov posted:

Anoia posted:

Fans of this game have seriously replayed over and over, throwing every possible drink combination at people, to see how that changes things for "maximum waifu potential."

Some characters have favorite drinks they will never come close to describing to you, you just have to stumble into it.

So if you love tedious, unintuitive bullshit, this is the definitely game for you.

This is what I was worried about when I heard the premise and it sounds as bad as I thought. I was hoping that the comparison to Papers Please was slightly unfair but they really seem to have gone for that style and just screwed up. I know plenty of people like the "find the story yourself" concept but this sounds like it's just hiding story for novelty.

Pollyanna posted:

Let's not turn this into an argument about when censorship is justified

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Pollyanna posted:

Lets just do this because I can't think of any instance where anything of worth has been done with this premise in a videogame.

HighwireAct
May 16, 2016

Pozzo's Hat
This game had a great narrative framework going for it

unfortunately literally everything else was a hot mess

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

HighwireAct posted:

This game had a great narrative framework going for it

unfortunately literally everything else was a hot mess

The end of day report that shows you're a bartender struggling to get by would be great, if it meant gently caress all and wasn't just something they blindly lifted from Papers Please.

What are the stakes here? Feeding your family? No, media subscriptions and room customization.

They miss the point so badly it's comical.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Rent too. It being the second thing makes sense within the framework (since rent is usually monthly) but there's not enough info on the subscription to make it seem worth what the game throws your way in the first week.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I'm sure there's an argument to be made here that they were trying to show off the distracting value of consumerism as filling the lives of people in this cyberpunk future with false meaning, but...

Just watch Fifteen Million Merits instead. It deals with meaningless activity, awful media, and horrible futures way better.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Pavlov posted:

The game is made by venezuelans and stuffed with american pop culture references.
But not Americanized English spelling.

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie
I came here to talk about how I actually enjoyed this game.

It appears I have poo poo taste according to goons.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

shibbotech posted:

I actually don't read the AV Club, but you're a winner. Congrats. I'd offer you plat, but you'll have to settle for an internet brohug instead. :3:

:hfive:

All of the fake quotes were used in an AVClub article that examined the "fake Fin quotes" meme. :eng101:

Anyway, being right is all the reward I need. :smug:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

YOTC posted:

It appears I have poo poo taste according to goons.

:hfive: Vall Hall A does some things right and deserves credit for it.

It also does things wrong and unfortunately those come first.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

EponymousMrYar posted:

:hfive: Vall Hall A does some things right and deserves credit for it.

It also does things wrong and unfortunately those come first.

There is a part coming up I actually enjoyed.

...for about 3 seconds because not being able to control the dialogue is loving torture when conversations are forever going in circles around drink orders.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I like Donovan so far. He reminds me of a cross between a crass, old-school newspaper mogul like Jonah Jameson and a new media executive who just wants clicks at all costs like Nick Denton or the guy who founded Buzzfeed. And the interactions between Jill, Gill, and Dana are funny in a lighthearted way.

Everyone else sucks in various degrees, except for that Avenging Angel or whatever she's called, who just struck me as bland.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Y-Hat posted:

I like Donovan so far. He reminds me of a cross between a crass, old-school newspaper mogul like Jonah Jameson and a new media executive who just wants clicks at all costs like Nick Denton or the guy who founded Buzzfeed. And the interactions between Jill, Gill, and Dana are funny in a lighthearted way.
He's a 2000s startup new media executive decades later at 60

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

YOTC posted:

What about this game did you like? I am clearly a minority of people who didn't enjoy it.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Zenithe posted:

What about this game did you like? I am clearly a minority of people who didn't enjoy it.
I'd go with the soundtracks, the visual aesthetic, and the way it is able to tell a story without necessarily needing to see the story. It's an interesting medium where you're getting an idea of the world outside and the world going on around you without having an omnipotent view of it. People come to your character as a means of verbal and tension release, like cyberpunk Cheers and instead of disgruntled mailmen or lecherous hillbillies, you've got whatever fits into the world's setting. I mean in the case of most visual novels they are built around solving murders, making dialogue choices to seduce a busty waifu, or re-working your way through your favorite anime. So yeah, this game ain't so bad.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Day Three

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Niggurath posted:

I'd go with the soundtracks, the visual aesthetic, and the way it is able to tell a story without necessarily needing to see the story. It's an interesting medium where you're getting an idea of the world outside and the world going on around you without having an omnipotent view of it. People come to your character as a means of verbal and tension release, like cyberpunk Cheers and instead of disgruntled mailmen or lecherous hillbillies, you've got whatever fits into the world's setting. I mean in the case of most visual novels they are built around solving murders, making dialogue choices to seduce a busty waifu, or re-working your way through your favorite anime. So yeah, this game ain't so bad.

I'm on board for the first two, and there are certain aspects to the setting I find interesting, like most cyberpunk settings. The thing is, if what you described was the actual game then I would be fully on board. Particularly with the start of the game though, the story has so much forced exposition as your "regulars" turn up and need to basically introduce themselves from scratch, and it seems super awkward to me. Added with the fact that a lot of the themes touched on are super creepy and (as far as I've played) not really justified artistically, and the conversation for almost all characters doesn't flow. Maybe this comes from the need to talk about different things depending on inebriation status, but you can basically hear the game shift gears every time there is a new topic brought up.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

It reminds me of Snatcher, everyone has to re-explain everything to you and introduce basic concepts of the world...except they do it with the hackneyed idea of the main character having amnesia. Also it's got really stilted conversations, poorly constructed dialogue trees and pretty lovely puzzles. Also it setups super skeezy ideas like hitting on an underage girl after you've told her that her father been brutally murdered. Then there are the facts that it's just a collection of stolen sci-fi ideas and characters....and yet it's not really considered a bad game and quite a few people enjoy it, myself included. Some games just really aren't for some people; doesn't really make a game terrible.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Niggurath posted:

It reminds me of Snatcher, everyone has to re-explain everything to you and introduce basic concepts of the world...except they do it with the hackneyed idea of the main character having amnesia. Also it's got really stilted conversations, poorly constructed dialogue trees and pretty lovely puzzles. Also it setups super skeezy ideas like hitting on an underage girl after you've told her that her father been brutally murdered. Then there are the facts that it's just a collection of stolen sci-fi ideas and characters....and yet it's not really considered a bad game and quite a few people enjoy it, myself included. Some games just really aren't for some people; doesn't really make a game terrible.

The difference between this and Snatcher is one of degrees and scope. This game deals in subject matter far creepier, and, more importantly, far more of the dialog is made up of said creepy poo poo. It's not something you can make fun of and then dismiss because there's a whole big game around it the way Snatcher was, the creepy sex talk scenes are the game in this case.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

EclecticTastes posted:

The difference between this and Snatcher is one of degrees and scope. This game deals in subject matter far creepier, and, more importantly, far more of the dialog is made up of said creepy poo poo. It's not something you can make fun of and then dismiss because there's a whole big game around it the way Snatcher was, the creepy sex talk scenes are the game in this case.
The difference to me is that this game deals a lot of with parody and that I don't assume this is intended as some outlet for the author's sexual inclinations. On the other hands with Kojima, I do kinda feel like he has some fetish for pissing and weird poo poo. So yeah, this game is fairly easy to dismiss as jokes and not trying to rationalize the unpleasant things in this fictional cyberpunk society. Unless I missed somewhere that they said "Oh yeah, it's totally cool to get a boner over Dorothy being a baby".

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Niggurath posted:

The difference to me is that this game deals a lot of with parody and that I don't assume this is intended as some outlet for the author's sexual inclinations.

What exactly do you feel this game is a parody of in that case?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Zenithe posted:

What exactly do you feel this game is a parody of in that case?
You seriously have never heard the tired trope of "Oh she may look like a sexualized 12 year old but she's really a 5,000 year old demon...so it's cool!". I mean that's pretty much a main stay in Disgaea's character roster.

• Locked thread