Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

I'm Doctor Shibbo, and this is Jackass.
Nap Ghost

Rodyle posted:

This is actually pretty much exactly what you've been suggesting the whole time.

Mi amigo, if you're taking my critiques of a mediocre visual novel as a personal attack, I don't know what to say. I really don't. I'm sorry if I somehow offended you personally, but good god. Which brings me to...

Pavlov posted:

Shibbo I think we recorded at least one drunken tirade where you tell everyone who likes this game to go gently caress themselves.

Yeah that sounds like me, that's kind of how I operate - deadpan and/or abrasive, over the top humor. I believe nothing is sacred and all things should be poked fun at to varying degrees. If it offends you for me to grossly exaggerate actual opinions of things, I highly recommend taking a step back and reconsidering your priorities in life - perhaps you're taking things a tad too seriously. In a year's time none of us will remember the thread, in a century we'll all be dead and none of what we do will have mattered anyway. Don't waste your energy getting pointlessly riled up because of a drunken idiot's comments on the internet in a video of a hate LP. Zen set out in the OP that this was not going to be favorable to the game. What's the thing everyone seems to love to use? "Don't like, don't watch" or something?

EclecticTastes posted:

To give this game credit where absolutely none is due, Dorothy also reminds me of people I've met who loudly proclaim how open and accepting about their sexuality they are, as though people with the social graces not to talk about their peccadilloes incessantly somehow aren't. That is to say, she comes off as someone whose actual personality is so empty and bland that they pretty much have to shock everyone around them with their not-nearly-as-unusual-as-they-believe kinks or stories of their sexual escapades in order to appear at all interesting. If this game actually went anywhere with that, it would make Dorothy at least a character with some modicum of depth.

I agree wholeheartedly. I think that's part of why I got hung up on her in the first place. The writing and personality for a lot of the characters is so bland in comparison that I latched onto the one with some shock value and tactlessness. That said, we did another recording session where I came to appreciate Jill actually getting some depth and not being the blank slate I thought. I'm trying to take a critical approach to the game in the thread. Maybe the writing gets better and they just stuffed up the worldbuilding in the first chapter. Maybe it's consistently awful and there are just a few gems in the trash heap. I can't tell for sure.

Small Frozen Thing posted:

Also I am IRL a woman with a glandular disorder that makes her look much younger than she really is
Think Gary Coleman
We do exist outside of skeevy anime stuff y'know

...congratulations? What did this contribute to the thread aside from screaming "look at me, I'm a special snowflake"? This is the internet, we're all loving text on a screen. We're all equal here. Having to shout about "but muh issues!" doesn't make you any more revered or fragile in my eyes. You're the same as anyone else here, love: you've got my respect until you lose it. Bringing up your RL issues to an LP thread on anime just reeks of insecurity and a lack of depth. Maybe Dorothy really is your best possible analogue in the game.

Tirade over. Can we all go back to being functioning adults please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

shibbotech posted:

...congratulations? What did this contribute to the thread aside from screaming "look at me, I'm a special snowflake"? This is the internet, we're all loving text on a screen. We're all equal here. Having to shout about "but muh issues!" doesn't make you any more revered or fragile in my eyes. You're the same as anyone else here, love: you've got my respect until you lose it. Bringing up your RL issues to an LP thread on anime just reeks of insecurity and a lack of depth. Maybe Dorothy really is your best possible analogue in the game.

nice meltdown

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

shibbotech posted:

No, I'm not actually convinced you can.

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

Nap Ghost

it's hot as tits here, i really do need to get my a/c fixed

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

shibbotech posted:

Yeah that sounds like me, that's kind of how I operate - deadpan and/or abrasive, over the top humor. I believe nothing is sacred and all things should be poked fun at to varying degrees.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
everoyne step back we got an internet badass here

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

Nap Ghost

You're alright, Small Frozen Thing. Let's grab a beer sometime.

Literally The Worst posted:

everoyne step back we got an internet badass here

God, I wish. If I were half as badass in person as I pretend to be on the internet, I'd actually be kinda neat

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
I'm not sure which of you are trying to burn who at this point.

Thread delivers.

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

Nap Ghost

Anoia posted:

Thread delivers.

Lovely Carnitas
Dec 26, 2012
This thread is so much more of a disaster than the game could ever hope to be. The VN is kind of a let down in comparison

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Lovely Carnitas posted:

This thread is so much more of a disaster than the game could ever hope to be. The VN is kind of a let down in comparison

Isn't it great?

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

Nap Ghost

Lovely Carnitas posted:

We need to take this a step further. Create a VN about threadshitting and internet arguments in forums devoted to playing other VNs. Then have someone make a VLP of it and post it here.

Lovely Carnitas
Dec 26, 2012

Anoia posted:

Isn't it great?

It is, thread delivers. I hope the guy at Sukeban is taking notes!

shibbotech posted:

We need to take this a step further. Create a VN about threadshitting and internet arguments in forums devoted to playing other VNs. Then have someone make a VLP of it and post it here.

Post the VLP as gifs and we have a deal :sun:

...this was the plan all along wasn't it? :tinfoil: No wonder you didn't bother with screenshots!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

shibbotech posted:

It's called Net High, and it's supposed to be even worse than VA-11 HALL-A.

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

Nap Ghost

Lovely Carnitas posted:

Post the VLP as gifs and we have a deal :sun:

...this was the plan all along wasn't it? :tinfoil: No wonder you didn't bother with screenshots!

Really Pants posted:

It's called Net High, and it's supposed to be even worse than VA-11 HALL-A.

DEAR SIR ZENITHE, MASTER OF THE THREAD, MAY I PLEASE RUN A NET HIGH MINI LP INSIDE THE CONFINES OF YOUR THREAD

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

shibbotech posted:

DEAR SIR ZENITHE, MASTER OF THE THREAD, MAY I PLEASE RUN A NET HIGH MINI LP INSIDE THE CONFINES OF YOUR THREAD

Let's not mix bleach and ammonia.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

shibbotech posted:

Maybe the writing gets better and they just stuffed up the worldbuilding in the first chapter. Maybe it's consistently awful and there are just a few gems in the trash heap. I can't tell for sure.
There are three 'major' archs in the game, with the one we're in being the intro. It's stuffed up in how it's handled but it is the worldbuilding for the later archs to play off of and I can say with absolute certainty that the writing does not get worse. (Whether it gets better is up for debate but we have to get there first.)

Frankly after the last episode I am surprised at the lack of catgirl japes/observations in the thread. Then again Stella is pretty mellow overall.

ManicVolcanic
Jun 5, 2016

I'm not even going to bother watching the videos, the thread is entertaining enough

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I already watched a mostly positive run of this game up until where you left off in episode two. The way that streamer presented it was consistant with the 10/10 reviews. It actually got me to put Vallhalla on my steam wishlist.

Watching your LP has really caused me to read this script with a critical eye. The writing is amateur and messy as gently caress. The 4chan analog is authentic. Donovan and Dorethy remind me of people I've drank with. Its like the general tone of the writing is chill and lighthearted, but good god is it terrible line by line.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Et tu, Donovan? I hope he talks more about the newspaper business next episode instead of about robot nipples.

Also, gently caress Dorothy. Again.

EponymousMrYar posted:

Frankly after the last episode I am surprised at the lack of catgirl japes/observations in the thread. Then again Stella is pretty mellow overall.
It looks like she exists just to have a catgirl in this game. They really didn't think through the explanation of how becoming one is an antidote to a nanomachine allergy at birth, but I don't think they wanted to either.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Y-Hat posted:

Et tu, Donovan? I hope he talks more about the newspaper business next episode instead of about robot nipples.

Also, gently caress Dorothy. Again.

It looks like she exists just to have a catgirl in this game. They really didn't think through the explanation of how becoming one is an antidote to a nanomachine allergy at birth, but I don't think they wanted to either.

Phrasing.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

shibbotech posted:

An easier option would be to make a playset for Fiasco, because Fiasco is all about situations devolving into glorious chaos.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

.............goddammit.

I hope that "Heavily Armed Lolibot speaks frankly about someone's sex life just by looking at them" doesn't become a running theme from here on out. I'm not confident, though, since she is the profile picture of the game studio's Twitter account.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

The classiest crazy bullshit magic Half-Elf, you'll ever meet.
I'm a bit disappointed that Dorothy doesn't come equipped with a taser, you know, for maximum shockvalue. :rimshot:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

EponymousMrYar posted:

I japed about catgirls already, and then the world had to see my stupidity and raise it. That always gets me down.

Stella is a shallow DeviantArt OC with a collection of accessories trying to do the work of an actual personality, but what's one more of those at this point?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

So is the design for Stella designed off of CATS, the "All Your Base" guy/video game villain? Specifically, the weird eye she has? Because if so, props to the game designers.

Probably not, though.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Anoia posted:

Thread delivers.

Well gear up.

shibbotech posted:

Be careful about getting on Small's bad side shibbotech!

Small Frozen Thing posted:

No, I'm not actually convinced you can.

....this, coming from...this:

I'd buy one of those little cameras that you can see who's at your door if I were you :ohdear:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
i know small frozen thing is kind of a bad poster but can we not turn this into helldump

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

BMS posted:

Well gear up.

let's not and say we did

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

The classiest crazy bullshit magic Half-Elf, you'll ever meet.
This doesn't bode well for me.

BRB moving to space.

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

Nap Ghost

KirbyKhan posted:

Its like the general tone of the writing is chill and lighthearted, but good god is it terrible line by line.

See, I could be convinced of that in a stream environment or something. If you're into just soaking in the themes and conversations without getting analytical about the actual structure of the writing, I could see where some positive reviews are coming from. I don't play VNs so for me the actual line-by-line quality of the writing is the most important thing that I'd look for in order to keep my attention, and this just didn't captivate me on that front. Coupled with how heavyhanded it's dealing with the "deep" themes and it's just not my bag.

Y-Hat posted:

So is the design for Stella designed off of CATS, the "All Your Base" guy/video game villain? Specifically, the weird eye she has? Because if so, props to the game designers.

I'm way too lazy to research that, but if that is actually the case, I agree - one of the more subtle references (or at the very least, one I wouldn't have caught). Side question - does the "Y" in your username stand for anything? All I can think of is "yellow hat", or if it's to be a combined thing like "Y hat", a yarmulke.

And of course Sazero is just the universal zero of SA. :toot:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Christ almighty who gives a poo poo about stupid posts from a year ago

shibbotech posted:

I'm way too lazy to research that, but if that is actually the case, I agree - one of the more subtle references (or at the very least, one I wouldn't have caught). Side question - does the "Y" in your username stand for anything? All I can think of is "yellow hat", or if it's to be a combined thing like "Y hat", a yarmulke.
I thought it was a weird term my statistics professor made up in college, but as it turns out, it's an actual name for a variable in stats (the "hat" is like >, but pointing upwards). By the time I found that out, I didn't bother wanting to change it.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I wish this game had more Donovan. He's the knife edge between terrible and entertaining rear end in a top hat that makes the videos worth watching.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Hey y'all, just because the game that's being Let's Played is a little weird doesn't give you an excuse to make weird posts. So please don't.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

I'm a VN apologist, but at the same time there aren't many that I like. The most recent thing that I really enjoyed was Love Detective, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say anybody who likes this game will probably dislike its tone.

I tend to trust VNs that are pay-what-want a lot more than poo poo like this, though it can still be a crapshoot. When DO you find a good one it's really great, but since RenPy made it easy for anyone to make there own it's gotten a lot harder to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

SardonicTyrant posted:

I wish this game had more Donovan. He's the knife edge between terrible and entertaining rear end in a top hat that makes the videos worth watching.

I have this sinking feeling that android titty chat is going to set the general tone for the rest of Donovan's appearances. He'll be the guy who goes WOW SO MANY BABES WHICH BABE DO YOU WISH WAS YOUR IRL GF

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

Nap Ghost

JordanKai posted:

Hey y'all, just because the game that's being Let's Played is a little weird doesn't give you an excuse to make weird posts. So please don't.

Understood, modbro. I apologize for contributing to some of the firestorm in the thread. ...I don't actually have anything else to add, I just wanted to say something before "your avatar is adorable".

Anoia posted:

I'm a VN apologist, but at the same time there aren't many that I like. The most recent thing that I really enjoyed was Love Detective, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say anybody who likes this game will probably dislike its tone.

I tend to trust VNs that are pay-what-want a lot more than poo poo like this, though it can still be a crapshoot. When DO you find a good one it's really great, but since RenPy made it easy for anyone to make there own it's gotten a lot harder to separate the wheat from the chaff.

I'm completely serious here, what VNs would you recommend for someone new to the genre? I generally enjoy mystery/suspense/horror in literature and film, and I'm sure there are examples of those floating about. I wouldn't be adverse to giving one a fair shake.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

shibbotech posted:

I'm completely serious here, what VNs would you recommend for someone new to the genre? I generally enjoy mystery/suspense/horror in literature and film, and I'm sure there are examples of those floating about. I wouldn't be adverse to giving one a fair shake.

If you want mystery/suspense/horror visual novels, check out the Zero Escape series: Nine Hours Nine Persons Nine Doors, Virtue's Last Reward, and Zero Time Dilemma. All three are solid. There's even some actual gameplay! (room escape puzzles)

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

shibbotech posted:

I'm not really the best person to ask. I don't actually like a lot of the VNs that are out there.

When I say I'm an apologist, I mean I feel more can be done with the medium that most people bother to attempt. I wish "pick a love interest to pursue" hadn't become the locked in standard that everyone associates with the genre, but here we are.

Valhalla in particular pisses me off because there's some attempt at playing around with the standard formula, but it succeeds only in needlessly complicating it while also being especially gross with its "waifu" offerings.

I'll have to ask my friend who's the real aficionado and get back to you on good horror/mystery games. If anybody else has suggestions, go hog wild.

e: Oh right, I completely forget about the zero escape series. I liked those. Sometimes the time out to babble about pseudoscience gets tedious, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

shibbotech posted:

Just to make sure, have you played any of the mainstream VN-like stuff like Phoenix Wright or even Professor Layton? They're great. The trilogy of 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors, Virtue's Last Reward, and Zero Time Dilemma is absolutely fantastic, as well. I would also personally recommend Analogue: A Hate Story and its sequel, Hate Plus, though I'm not sure they're quite as good for someone coming in totally new.

EDIT: Looks like I was totally beaten on the Zero Escape series, whoops.

EDIT2: Oh, right, Corpse Party is pretty great, though it's really more half-adventure game, half-VN. Danganronpa is also pretty good if you can get past the fandom.

EclecticTastes fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jul 25, 2016

• Locked thread