Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Why is there a video LP of a visual novel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Zenithe posted:

What about this game did you like? I am clearly a minority of people who didn't enjoy it.
I'd go with the soundtracks, the visual aesthetic, and the way it is able to tell a story without necessarily needing to see the story. It's an interesting medium where you're getting an idea of the world outside and the world going on around you without having an omnipotent view of it. People come to your character as a means of verbal and tension release, like cyberpunk Cheers and instead of disgruntled mailmen or lecherous hillbillies, you've got whatever fits into the world's setting. I mean in the case of most visual novels they are built around solving murders, making dialogue choices to seduce a busty waifu, or re-working your way through your favorite anime. So yeah, this game ain't so bad.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

It reminds me of Snatcher, everyone has to re-explain everything to you and introduce basic concepts of the world...except they do it with the hackneyed idea of the main character having amnesia. Also it's got really stilted conversations, poorly constructed dialogue trees and pretty lovely puzzles. Also it setups super skeezy ideas like hitting on an underage girl after you've told her that her father been brutally murdered. Then there are the facts that it's just a collection of stolen sci-fi ideas and characters....and yet it's not really considered a bad game and quite a few people enjoy it, myself included. Some games just really aren't for some people; doesn't really make a game terrible.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

EclecticTastes posted:

The difference between this and Snatcher is one of degrees and scope. This game deals in subject matter far creepier, and, more importantly, far more of the dialog is made up of said creepy poo poo. It's not something you can make fun of and then dismiss because there's a whole big game around it the way Snatcher was, the creepy sex talk scenes are the game in this case.
The difference to me is that this game deals a lot of with parody and that I don't assume this is intended as some outlet for the author's sexual inclinations. On the other hands with Kojima, I do kinda feel like he has some fetish for pissing and weird poo poo. So yeah, this game is fairly easy to dismiss as jokes and not trying to rationalize the unpleasant things in this fictional cyberpunk society. Unless I missed somewhere that they said "Oh yeah, it's totally cool to get a boner over Dorothy being a baby".

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Zenithe posted:

What exactly do you feel this game is a parody of in that case?
You seriously have never heard the tired trope of "Oh she may look like a sexualized 12 year old but she's really a 5,000 year old demon...so it's cool!". I mean that's pretty much a main stay in Disgaea's character roster.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Zenithe posted:

Ok, so they used a convention that has been used before. Why is this particular case a parody, as opposed to the numerous examples of this "tired trope" that presumably aren't?
Because it's clearly a joke? I just can't take the game that uses the word waifu as something to be taken seriously or as biting social commentary. If people were actually looking for a failed attempt at that, then I'm sure they'd play Read Only Memories rather than playing the game with just a guest appearance from a character from that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

EclecticTastes posted:

What about the character or dialog screams "joke" to you? Just because there is rampant evidence that this game was made by total weebs doesn't mean they're parodying any of the cliches they're using. They could just as easily be just using them normally.
Well from watching just a bit of Dorothy's dialogue it seems that she attempted to buy camouflage to cater to some bizarre invisible person fetish and yet they gave her the wrong optic camo to where she just couldn't be seen by cameras. So pretty obvious joke there that still managed to be about her prostitution job, but it was clearly a joke meant to poke fun possibly at bizarre future fetishes and quite possibly maybe the weird selective camo that was worn by Mokoto in 'Ghost in the Shell'. It's quite easy for me to see it as a joke.

• Locked thread