Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

To be fair with the whole built to look like a twelve year old I can sort of see a reason for it. They're not emotionally/mentally mature unless they pass 3 tests, as we've been told, at which point they're given an adult body, so the young look is "meant" to be a deterrent from attacking them and they have special nano-bots so that if someone does attack the immature robot they get jailed. However from what I've seen it seems Dorothy completed those tests and then decided that she wanted to specifically target an audience as a prostitute, because she can make them pay more for what is presumably a completely legal way to work out their own disturbed sexual desires, she also just happens to enjoy sex too which explains why she's making a job out of it.

Now I'm not saying this is good, and the writing so far has been terrible to mediocre at best, but I can imagine a character like Dorothy being interesting in a much better written game/story. Also didn't notice the DFC model thing which is just in poor taste.

The other characters similarly could be interesting in a better written game/story. In my opinion Donovan comes off as the best written because he is the least strange character and thus easiest to write well, which suggests to me the people making this game just aren't particularly clever writers.

So what I'm saying is there's some interesting ideas here, it just fails to explore or do anything with them, at least as far as I've seen. Even Ingram could be an interesting character, someone who gives absolutely no shits whatsoever and is sort of the ultimate bad hedonist, who will try anything once because in the cyberpunk future there's no limits beyond your money and he's stinking rich. He could be an interesting mirror of your own situation as given, where you have to pick and choose specific things you enjoy because you're nearly broke and really need money for rent and food, everything else is a luxury. In fact make that a game-play mechanic, at the end of the day you have to spend money wisely or you get various bad endings. Could even work it into a potential ask people to move on mechanic, where if you find a person particularly uncomfortable you can have them removed or pass them on to Gill but in return you don't get as much money, so you really get this idea that your job is lovely but without it you'd just be screwed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I mentioned earlier that putting the mentally/emotionally immature AI in a child body is probably meant to be a defense against people damaging them before they're mature, and also as a way to reduce the costs of producing them, because if they do get destroyed before they're mature it's less resources used. Plus once they are mature it's probably an upgrade not an entirely new body so again effective use of materials.

This doesn't make it good but I can think of reasons for immature AI to be put into immature bodies beyond exploitation. For similar reasons I can see that putting an immature AI in a mature body could be equally exploitative, after all it's a lot more likely an adult looking robot would get propositioned or hit on compared to a child looking robot and they have apparently the mentality of young children. So which is more disturbing, and adult mind in a child body or a child mind in an adult body.

Basically my argument is that an immature AI learns like a child and thus looks like a child so as to garner reactions from normal people that would allow them to develop into healthy mature AI, who then look like adults because they are in fact adults. Dorothy is different because she is as mentioned a mature AI who chooses to look like a child to cater to a specific audience and thus get paid more. I imagine the legality is that as long as the AI is mature the law doesn't actually care about the body, so Dorothy's character in reverse would actually be illegal.

Basically child AI get child bodies so that people will treat them like children, adult AI get adult bodies so they will be treated like adults. Dorothy is a weirdo who lives in the bad side of town and wants to be paid extra by creeps.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jul 28, 2016

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

EclecticTastes posted:

Oh gently caress it just occurred to me why are the pedo-bots anatomically correct in the first place?! :gonk:

That might be something Dorothy had done, but at this point I'm inclined to not give the writing the benefit of the doubt. I may be supplying reasons for the child body robots but that's because I find theoretical world-building interesting.

Although a logical reason is that they use food and liquids as fuel and thus have waste removal systems modelled after the ones humans already have.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I think that Dorothy and Cat-girl would work better as backstories if they swapped. Cat-girl is a robotic prostitute specifically targeting a fetish, which cuts out the question of why they make child bodies for the robots and is arguably an easier premise to accept. Meanwhile Dorothy is a middle-age woman who went to get nano-bot plastic surgery to look 21 and instead looks 12 due to either a weird biological reaction to process or faulty programming in the robots, proceed with whatever plot-line is most interesting for such a character.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I think there probably are people getting off to this game, but that's because people get off to a lot of different things. I'd don't think that's the intention of the game though. I think the writing has been severely fumbled but earnest in the premise.

Mainly because if this game was meant to be fap-bait it would probably be somehow more obnoxious and obvious about it and Donovan/Ingram would not exist, or it would have a more interactive gameplay system beyond give people drinks and decide if you want to give them alcohol.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jul 29, 2016

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I'm pretty sure she's just a robot, she chooses to be a sex worker. Which has it's own issues. But she isn't programmed this way she grew to become this way if I understand how the Lilim mentally/emotionally evolve in universe.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

See I agree that Dorothy is a terrible character, but I don't agree that adult's mind in a child's body is a technically speaking terrible thing. Sure it's creepy as hell but in my opinion the moral/ethical terrible thing about sexual/romantic relationships with children is that they don't have the emotional or mental maturity to carry out such a relationship.

Dorothy has that maturity, so she's creepy but it's probably okay. I'd honestly find it worse if she was the other way around, as it is she's disturbing but potentially harmless, bar the terrible handling and writing, the reverse would be worse because it's far more visibly acceptable whilst also being a rather abusive relationship.

Basically in a better written game she might have been an interesting character, as it is she stands out as worse because she's ultimately a more objectionable character than just about everyone not named Ingram, who is awful in other ways.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

kjetting posted:

Save it for the trial, buddy.
Seriously, are you one of the writers of this game?

Hey different people can have different opinions, I still think Dorothy is a better character if they had swapped her and cat-girls issues. I just think that I would be more upset about a character who was a child's mind in an adult body then an adult's mind in a child body. The concept is not bad, the fact that she's a sex worker and written terribly is.

My point was not, Dorothy is fine, my point was, Dorothy is terribly written but the adult's mind in a child's body is not the problem, it's what they're using the character for that is. The other stuff was more why I think that the other way around is worse.

Like if the hypothetical alternate Dorothy was just some business lady who looked like a child but came to the bar to drink and flirt she's better than the current Dorothy, if her issue was that people don't treat her like an adult because her body will remain physically childish she's a potentially interesting character. Loli-robot prostitute is a terrible character, but literal child-bodied adult potentially isn't.

As it is she's half written to allow fetishisation and half written to admonish those who do so and comes across as just the former because they haven't written the latter correctly at all, she might just be written for the former, I don't actually know.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Aug 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

blankd posted:

Where's the poster that insisted Dorthy's writing could be defended again?

See that might have been me because I was earlier saying that there isn't anything inherently wrong with Dorothy's character design, so far it's her story and how she's handled in entirety that's the problem.

Adult mind in child body is a potentially interesting character hook if the story follows through and doesn't just make it about acceptable pedophilia fanservice because they're really an adult. Even adult mind in child body who is a prostitute who uses this fact to make more money could be an interesting character. Prostitute who enjoys their job and is very open and positive about sex is also a potentially interesting character.

Adult mind in child body who is a prostitute who enjoys their job and is very open and positive about sex is never going to be an interesting character unless you are some god of writing and impossible to handle with tact or grace because it's always going to amount to acceptable pedophilia fanservice.

My other thought is that the catgirl and Dorothy should have each others sprites. So the person who's nanobots screwed over ends up permanently a child and the robot prostitute uses a catgirl appearance to get increased money and happens to enjoy her job. Both flow much nicer and lead to better stories for this sort of game. The other way around just looks stupid and uncomfortable for everyone involved.

It doesn't fix the game but it does remove the most questionable/terrible character, Dorothy, and fixes a fairly logical problem as to why bad nanobots turns someone into a catgirl.

• Locked thread